Start by marking “Not by Sight (Stone River #1)” as Want to Read:
Not by Sight (Stone River #1)

Not by Sight

(Stone River #1)

Can you love someone and still be free?

Emma Wyatt agrees to tutor a recently blinded, embittered soldier because of the $50,000 paycheck his brother offers. The job is an answer to many prayers. Blind herself, Emma dreams of independence and freedom away from her overprotective family. Tutoring Ian in all things “blind” isn’t easy, especially when the biggest challenge is
Published May 18th 2015 by Kindred Spirits Publishing

♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

A nice enough and well developed story that kept my attention - at least until it became a little to slow, which is where I found myself skimming some pages. Also I felt it was very confusing to find the book under two different names and author names on amazon and here on GR - both available to buy. And it is not only this book but the complete series of the book.

Because of an unusual turn of events I was able to finish reading the book instead of putting it down but still I knew a lot of what
Rachel
Overall rating: 3.5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
CeCe
There was too much with the heroine and her BFFs. I like to feel connected to the two main characters. This story started out with a large chunk of it with Emma and her besties - Morgan, Tasha, and Jolie. SO much so that at the beginning, I had no idea which one of them was the heroine.

Also, there was too much explained about people that I really could care less about. I wanted a clean read, but there was too much inner babble to allow me to connect to the story.

I loved the premise, but sadly it
Coco.V
Jul 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/8/2019)! 🎁
RB Mueller
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four star rating is an average of my five stars from the first half and the three stars from the second half.

For me the main story between Emma and Ian (a blind woman tutoring a blind soldier) was a real page turner. As long as the focus was on the relationship dynamics between them and their respective worlds, I'd rate the story five stars, no doubt.

To be honest, I considered the plot for the second half quite soap-opera melodramatic. Yes, the story has extensive backstories for several of
Joleen
Wow! Loved this book! All the way through I kept thinking...finally, a really different book...not the typical Christian Romance...not silly or trite, or eye-rolling, nor one I couldn't wait to put down and just forget. No, this one I will remember!
I think this is the first of Ms. Stockham's books I've picked up, but will go back to check out others. Good writing, great plot, great characters, all of them, and wonderful relationships, oh, and killer chemistry!
Okay, plot...
Duncan meets with Bruce
Teresa
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story about being blind

If everything was easy then you would be very bored and disappointed. Emma and Ian are both blind but in different ways of how it happened. Ian, a Navy Seal, who was shot while trying to rescue hostage. Unfortunately, he has a blood clot during surgery. However, Emma was in a car accident when she was younger. The book takes you as the reader inside to watch as Emma teaches Ian how to understand that his blindness isn't the end of the world and when her sight returns
mad4rombks
Kindle Freebie as of August 5, 2017.
Diane Call
Rating: PG13 for violence
Sex: none
Language: a few Lord's name in vain
Violence: arson, vandalism, mischief, gun threats, stalking
HEA or Cliffhanger: HEA
Do I need to read books before this one: no
Would I read more of the series: no

A really slow pace. I know the author was trying to help readers understand blindness, but failed. The romance between Ian and Emma didn't unfold naturally, and the concern that he's taking in love with her because she's convenient and he's recovering from a tragedy w
Anna Marie
The story was... alright.

Emma is blind, but is a bartender, trainer at 'PAWS for a Cause', and also runs a kennel. In all her spare time, she's with her 'besties', a group of four chicks (with a needy girl that Emma isn't all that nice to). And on top of all that busy, Emma is now hired to coach an ex-military type who was recently blinded in the art of living in the dark. In. WHAT. Time?!?! There is NO way she'd have time to do all of that well. Heck, sighted people don't have time to do that.
(ツ) Hache
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Hero: Ian MacGregor 33, former Navy SEAL. Recently blind
Heroine: Emma Wyatt 28, Been blind for 14 years, Trains dogs as service animals for blind or disabled people. also a bartender.
POV: 3rd person, Alternating between H&h, and a few times by the Heros brother Duncan

Im not sure I liked this book. It was ok I guess... maybe.
I mainly wanted to read this because I wanted to read a blind romance book where one of the H or h was blind and that's how I found this one. I was surprised that t
MJ

I didn't really feel much for the main couple, and everything was way too obvious, and fairly simply tied up or forgotten about.

I probably wouldn't have had too much of a problem with it all if I wasn't bugged by the constant 'we trust in god', 'we are godly people', 'we pray to god' etc. It wasn't a bible basher, but it def fell over the edge of just knowing these characters believe in god, to god rulz!

And quite frankly, two of our godly people had an affair (affairs are bad, but this one was
Shannon
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Although this book could use a good proof read, I really enjoyed the story line. There was no stuck in their heads, lamenting over and over again about their fears. You got a hint of it, but the author keep the pace going in another direction, while that character fixed things on their own. I am constantly searching for a book that is not page after page of sex, with a good story line, without constant eye rolls, and I hope that future books by this author will of the same caliber.
Lhenry
This seemed to drag a bit for me. I realize it's pretty much a romance with a slight mystery. It seemed pretty obvious to me who was the bad guy, and the villainous acts were not very intriguing. I found Emma and Ian to be moderately interesting. Didn't really think the soap-opera revelations about Zack added anything to the story. I actually really liked the epilogue and Ian's solution to what his new life was going to be, so I am glad I finished
Anne
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was fantastic. I usually don't read romance novels but this one had a little mystery in it. Just enough to keep my interest. I gave a good insight into what obstacles blind people have to overcome in everyday life. I really liked Kay's style of writing. I also liked the little bit of christian values that made it's way in every so often. Just enough so as not to be rammed down your throat. But a real part of the story. I look forward to reading more from Kay in the future.
Tracey
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that will tug at your heartstrings, this is the one.

I fell in love with Ian and Emma right from the start. I don't usually fall so quickly for a book but this one just sort of reached right in and grabbed me. I shows how much you can go through and still survive and find love. It's a good book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Virginia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Good story. Romantic. But early on, I knew what the conclusion of the mystery would be. The 2 main characters were fleshed out well but the secondary characters were not. One will have to read each of their own books to get to know them better. Even though I enjoyed this book, I doubt I will read the other characters' books.
Kristiej
3.5 out of 5

Now this is kind of odd. The book has 2 different titles. The version I read was Blind Man's Bluff.

I saw this was a free book on Amazon and it sounded interesting so I thought I’d give it a try. I had nothing to lose right? Well it turns out that was true but what was also true was something I gained; a book I quite enjoyed.

Ian MacGregor is the hero of this story. He was a SEAL and had life by the tail. But that all changes when he helps his brother rescue a young woman from a Mexica
Elise Larson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story about the healing power of love. FIVE PERFECT STARS!

Take a strong heroine, a handsome but wounded hero, an intriguing plot with lots of emotion and suspense, and a love that triumphs despite great odds. Polish everything with impeccable editing and proofreading, and you have a perfect book. Be sure to set aside a block of reading time, because you'll be hooked from page one. Seriously. YOU WILL NOT PUT THIS ONE DOWN. IT'S THAT GOOD!

The story revolves around Emma, a sweet young
Maria
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time trying this author, and I quite enjoyed it.
The main female character (Emma) was upbeat and positive, even after all she had been through. The main male character (Ian) was a cynical, depressed guy reeling from a surgery that left him blind. I liked seeing their interactions with each other. Emma was able to see through his rude and gruff exterior to see the man hurting underneath. It was lovely to see Ian come to grips with his accident and ultimately move on.
The one par
Eve
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty enjoyable. All the characters were interesting in their own right and the plot appealed or me greatly.

To be honest, at first I didn’t really think Emma and Ian had any chemistry. If anything, I thought she was better suited for Duncan, however, all ended well and I’m perfectly content with how it turned out.

I had a particular love for Quinn, for some reason I like the quite ones. Though, I don’t see myself reading his book. Sorry.

The “antagonist” was predictable but I did
Elizabeth
For you readers that look for books about heros or heroines with disabilities or "different abilities", this is one of my favorites and one I will reread. Some reviews say that this book was previously published under a different name and released again. Well, if that is the case, it is because this book is one you will want to read again. The gorgeous alpha male is left blind from a military accident and the girl he falls in love with is also blind. It is a beautiful story with a little suspens ...more
Tina
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is lovely. Ian is a strong protective man whose job has made him who he is, but tragedy strikes and he looses his sight making him a very depressing character. Emma has been blind since a tragic car accident where she lost her mom, but she’s learnt to adapt to her life and is trying to be independent. Can she help Ian come to terms with his new life?
I loved this read, it was beautiful, great story, plot and I loved the characters. There is angst, a twist and turn, I did guess who
Anna
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written and full of emotions that pull at the heartstrings and bring tears of both sorrow and joy.
Adjusting to blindness after an unexpected surgical complication is hard to live with. Ian is angry, depressed and unwilling to accept his circumstances.
Desperate to help him, his brother Duncan hires Emma to help him learn to deal with his blindness.
Maybe the saying “the blind leading the blind” will take on new meaning as Emma leads Ian out of the darkness.
This is by far the b
Sandra Lyamuya
Loved it

Plot was amazing, the characters and their problems made the book interesting and even though i wanted Ian to gain what he'd lost, i'm happy that the author proved that sometimes it doesn't always work out the way we planned or expected.

Quick qst though; Did Ian ever discuss with his brother about the innocent guy he killed and who in turn made him blind, if so i must have skimmed through it.

Anyway can't wait to read about the other characters, Quin interests me the most so i really can'
Janet Hendricks
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rollercoaster Ride of Emotions

Oh, the secrets! This book is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Happy, sad, tearful, mad, excited, confused and shocked. It's all in this book. The characters are diverse and at times unfathomable, but for the most part I liked them even when their actions were annoying. These characters aren't larger than life heroes. They're human. They make mistakes. Some of those mistakes are doozies, but I still rooted for a happily ever after. A good, clean series. Looking for
Annette Sullivan
Sweet but explicit sex

I thought the explicit sex ruined this book. It wasn’t necessary to know the how, why or where every time, or any time! And really this was incredible as there was no explicit swearing. You got told when someone thought it, but not the words, so why the double standard then? The story itself was intriguing and thoughtful even when from the start the final romantic outcome was inevitable, as was one of them regaining their sight.
BJ.Black
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Entertaining Read...

Unlike many contemporary romance books that are just a string of steamy bedroom scenes pretending to be a novel, this book actually has an engaging plot.
The storyline is engaging and the characters are believable. The book had a rather abrupt "happily everafter" ending, however, which left several major issues unresolved.

A pretty good entertaining read.
Clarie Giselle Mercado
A little dull

This book was a decent story. I just felt as if it drone on too long. I liked Emma more than Ian. If the story was paced better perhaps I would’ve enjoyed it more. I did, however loved the Christian aspect of this story and how God, faith and love was a focus in this story. It’s a very clean story I just wished it was paced better especially when it came to light that Genie was behind all the wrong doing.
Tracey Tranter
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story. There are blind people in this story but it is not totally about them.

I know several people who are blind (not from birth) and their approach to life is awe-inspiring.

This is a clean and well-written, thought provoking romance with lots of different twists and turns, and dogs which always add to a story.

I received a free copy of this book via BookBub and am voluntarily leaving a review.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Series reference missing 3 18 Aug 17, 2015 10:57AM

• Drop Zone (Saint Squad, #8)
  • For Joey (Rockland Ranch, #4)
  • Romancing Adrienne
  • The Nutcracker Bride (12 Brides of Christmas #2)
  • Return of the Cowboy Doctor (Wyoming Legacy, #3)
  • Feels Like Love (Christmas in Snow Valley #2)
  • The Marshal's Ready-Made Family (Prairie Courtships, #2)
  • Deadly Holiday (Strong Women, Extraordinary Situations #3)
  • Spring in Snow Valley (Snow Valley Anthology)
  • Dreaming of Ivy (Love and Flowers Trilogy, #2)
  • Clueless Cowboy (South Dakota Weddings #2)
  • Blue Christmas (Christmas in Snow Valley #6)
  • Lottie: Bride of Delaware (American Mail-Order Bride #1)
  • Catch of the Day (Misty Harbor, #1)
  • Mistletoe Kisses
  • Right Click
  • Diablo (Texans, #1)
  • The Blacksmith (Redbourne, #3)
Kay Lyons Stockham is an award-winning author of 25+ books published by Harlequin Enterprises, Berkley Publishing and Kindred Spirits Publishing. She has also been a Book Buyers Best, HOLT Medallion and RITA Award finalist with a million books in print.

For more information on Kay's work, please visit her website at http://www.kaystockham.com or find her at one of the following:

Kay Lyons Stockham,

Stone River (3 books)
  • Through The Valley (Stone River #2)
  • Lead Me Not (Stone River #3)