Start by marking “The Great Divide” as Want to Read:
The Great Divide

The Great Divide

In the rural Tasmanian town of Dunton, the body of a former headmistress of a children’s home is discovered, revealing a tortured life and death.

Detective Jake Hunter, newly-arrived, searches for her killer among past residents of the home. He unearths pain, secrets and broken adults. Pushing aside memories of his own treacherous past, Jake focuses all his ener
Published November 4th 2019 by Echo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Great Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Divide

Start your review of The Great Divide
Louise Wilson
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

the story is set in Tasmania. detective Jake Hunter has not been staying long in the small rural town. He left his complicated life back in Melbourne. a little boy had went missing from a camp site. thankfully he is found safe and well but he claims to have seen a dead body. Jake goes back to take a look at where they found the boy, and sure enough, he discovers the body of a woman.

This story has everything to draw you in: atmosphere, terrific set
Brenda
Detective Jake Hunter had only just arrived from Melbourne to his new posting – the small town of Dunton in Tasmania – and expected things to be quiet with relatively little crime. When he was called to a missing child in rural bushland, he didn’t expect to find a body, and when his constable recognized the woman, shock resonated through the town.

The children’s home had been closed for years, but the dead woman had been in charge of it and the care of the children until adoption. As Jake and Mu
Marianne
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Great Divide is a crime novel by Australian archaeologist, librarian and author, L.J.M. Owen. When Detective Jake Hunter transfers from Melbourne to Dunton in rural Tasmania, he’s expecting a quiet two years. Not that much happens in small towns, surely? But within days, he’s standing over a mutilated dead body in a vineyard. The victim, Ava O’Brien, was a matron for a local (bad) girls’ home that shut down some ten years earlier.

Jake’s first instinct is to look for disgruntled former resid
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The Great Divide is a gritty Australian crime novel from L.J.M. Owen introducing Detective Jake Hunter.

Set in Tasmania, this is an atmospheric story portraying a small insular community, blanketed in the fog of winter, and shrouded in lies. It begins when the body of an old woman is found dumped in the overgrown grounds of a vineyard. While investigating her murder, Jake, a recent transfer to Dunton, learns some odd facts, and as the case progresses he begins to uncover links between
Liz Barnsley
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This didn't take me long to read it is written with that style that means you bang through it. Overall I had a love hate relationship with it.

The setting is fantastic, I really engaged with the atmosphere and the mystery element was intriguing if a little path of least resistance. Pretty predictable which actually didn't matter as much you still had that edge of uncertainty. Not about the villain of the piece I picked that person pretty much immediately but to what level and why was
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww, own
My View:
The start of an interesting series perhaps?

The beginning was a little slow for me, it took me a while to enter into this quiet secret filled landscape but then BOOM! L JM Owen does not hold back – there are deaths and mayhem and a twist that may surprise you. The item in the office (no spoilers here) must be the most sinister, gruesome trophy I have come across in all my reading of crime fiction.

Detective Jake Hunter is an interesting character and I feel there is more
Trish Bond
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went to the book launch and just had to buy the book!
It did not disappoint.
Disturbing, shocking and touching on som difficult and taboo subject for some people. But a story that should be told. With insight to society, coping mechanisms and personal growth.
A brave story and well written.
A new favourite.
Sandi Wallace
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. More in my next Good Reads blog at https://www.sandiwallace.com/blog/.
Jay Dwight
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this crime thriller set in small town, rural Tasmania.

Detective Jake Hunter is new to town, escaping his life's complications back in Melbourne. Almost immediately, he is involved in a search for a missing boy. The boy is found but claims to have seen a dead body. A further search uncovers a murder. We then follow the investigation all the way through the complex web.

Clever, complex plot, but very readable and I think near impossible to guess where the story is leading.
Thebooktrail
I am on the fence with this book. On one side, it's good at setting, atmosphere, criminal secrets and god awful crimes but on the other side, the policeman at the centre of the case seemed a bit 'unsuitable for the job' to put it nicely.

It's a grim case and one I didn't fully realise going into the novel, so that's my fault, but the grim factor never lets up and it got me a bit down.The setting on a wider scale however was brilliant - foggy, remote, claustrophobic and down right chil
Deborah
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
It's hard not to use the word atmospheric when writing about this book. It's certainly that and continues the fine tradition I've experienced recently with Tasmanian crime fiction and small-town noir.

Set in Tasmania's winter this - I assume to be the first in a new series - offers readers a sense of bleak and dismal foreboding - in a good way - well-suited to the book's dark storyline and some long-hidden sinister secrets.
Read my review here: https://www.debbish.com/books-literat...
Louise
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Chris Colpo
Nov 14, 2019
Ilona
rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2019
Maria Nane
Nov 01, 2019

• You Don't Know Me
  • The Shape of Night
  • The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • The Lying Room
  • Bruny
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • Starting From Now (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Silver
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Just One Wish
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • The World That We Knew
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • There Was Still Love
  • Kitty Flanagan's 488 Rules for Life
Dr L.J.M. Owen has escaped dark and shadowy days as a public servant to explore the comparatively lighter side of life: murder, mystery and forgotten women's history. An Australian author, archaeologist and librarian with a PhD in palaeogenetics, L.J. speaks five languages and has travelled extensively through Europe and Asia.

L.J. is the Festival Director of the Terror Australis Readers and Writers F