Start by marking “Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer” as Want to Read:
Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer

Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer

Centering Prayer is a precious part of the ancient spiritual traditions of the West. When this practical guide was first published in 1978, people all over the world welcomed its simple and beautiful form of meditative prayer. Reflections and advice on Centering Prayer's possibilities?and its pitfalls?are presented with clarity and simplicity, exposing a vision of the ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 113 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Skylight Paths Publishing (first published February 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Grace at the Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Grace at the Center

Start your review of Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer
Drick
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
A good introduction to centering prayer and the uniqueness of Christian approaches to contemplation/meditation as opposed to Eastern approaches. However the book lacks practical guidance and left me feeling contemplation is for the mystic not the average person, though the authors claim otherwise.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superb little introduction to the Christian contemplative practice of centring prayer, consisting of a collection of four essays by Basil Pennington, Thomas Keating and Thomas E Clarke.

It transpires that, historically speaking, the practice underwent a renaissance in the 1970s, partly in response to the flourishing of eastern meditative techniques. It had its roots in a long Christian tradition that had begun to wane in the 18th and 19th centuries. But interestingly, Pennington links the
Sherise
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first formal foray into learning about centering prayer. The first chapter was quite helpful, but it rapidly devolved into a style of writing I personally find annoying: mystical language intended to sound deep that fails to communicate anything substantive. However, I do understand that there are people for whom this language will be exactly what they need to understand what centering prayer is about...it is to those people that I recommend this book. However, if, like me, you ...more
Judith Kinder
Finding Grace

This book is a compilation of three peoples views on Centering prayer. Parts of the book were a bit deep others very similar to previous books and articles that 8 have read. As a participant in centering prayer I found this book a little bit of a let down.
Leroy Seat
Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I have read much of the same thing in more recent books, but this book was a bit of a disappointment. It certainly is not a bad book, but is is not as helpful or as stimulating as I anticipated.

The book contains four essays by three authors and is about centering prayer.
Daniel
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily one of the most profound, accessible, useful, beautiful books on prayer I have read. I am, which is very unusual for me, immediately going to read it again; and I am going to be recommending it to many people in my life.
Brad Walker
The idea of centering prayer is okay, but I thought this author took things way out of left field and I felt like I was reading mystical spiritual Buddhism techniques. Nothing personal against Buddhism techniques, just not what I expected from a general Christian read.
John Tangney
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simple and profound. Read it and live it. I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants a closer relationship with God, be they Moslem, Jew, Sikh, Christian, ...
Contemplative Outreach Hawaii
Suggested for those establishing a practice of Centering Prayer.
Sondra Jones
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Glad to discover Clarke. Mighty fine writing.
Kim Beyer
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• In Her Shadow
  • The Art of Pastoral Care
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again
  • Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
  • The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Lachlan (Immortal Highlander #1)
  • The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain
  • In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Shameless: A Sexual Reformation
  • Let Nothing Disturb You
  • Adventure of Ascent: Field Notes from a Lifelong Journey
  • The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
Dom M. Basil Pennington O.C.S.O. (19312005) was a Trappist monk and priest. He was a leading Roman Catholic spiritual writer, speaker, teacher, and director.

Pennington was an alumnus of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas Angelicum where he obtained a licentiate in Theology in 1959.[1] He also earned a licentiate in Canon Law at the Pontifical Gregorian University. Pennington became

News & Interviews