Start by marking “Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer” as Want to Read:
Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer

Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  101 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Centering Prayer is a precious part of the ancient spiritual traditions of the West. When this practical guide was first published in 1978, people all over the world welcomed its simple and beautiful form of meditative prayer. Reflections and advice on Centering Prayer's possibilities?and its pitfalls?are presented with clarity and simplicity, exposing a vision of the deep ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 113 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Skylight Paths Publishing (first published February 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Grace at the Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Grace at the Center

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Finding Grace at the Center: The Beginning of Centering Prayer
Drick
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
A good introduction to centering prayer and the uniqueness of Christian approaches to contemplation/meditation as opposed to Eastern approaches. However the book lacks practical guidance and left me feeling contemplation is for the mystic not the average person, though the authors claim otherwise.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superb little introduction to the Christian contemplative practice of centring prayer, consisting of a collection of four essays by Basil Pennington, Thomas Keating and Thomas E Clarke.

It transpires that, historically speaking, the practice underwent a renaissance in the 1970s, partly in response to the flourishing of eastern meditative techniques. It had its roots in a long Christian tradition that had begun to wane in the 18th and 19th centuries. But interestingly, Pennington links the redi
Andrew Doohan
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the third edition of this little volume of essays that focus on the practice and history of the 'Centering Prayer' that sprang to life in the late 1970s among various monastic and religious communities in the United States of America.

Yet the 'Centering Prayer' was not something new or innovative but rather a journeying back to the more ancient practices of the Church. In journeying back to these early sources, those responsible for recapturing this spiritual practice were giving life to
Sherise
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first formal foray into learning about centering prayer. The first chapter was quite helpful, but it rapidly devolved into a style of writing I personally find annoying: mystical language intended to sound deep that fails to communicate anything substantive. However, I do understand that there are people for whom this language will be exactly what they need to understand what centering prayer is about...it is to those people that I recommend this book. However, if, like me, you ...more
Judith Kinder
Finding Grace

This book is a compilation of three peoples views on Centering prayer. Parts of the book were a bit deep others very similar to previous books and articles that 8 have read. As a participant in centering prayer I found this book a little bit of a let down.
Matthew V Armstrong
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first two chapters are very good at explaining Centering Prayer. And the introduction was very interesting background for someone new to the subject. The final chapters were not that good.
Leroy Seat
Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I have read much of the same thing in more recent books, but this book was a bit of a disappointment. It certainly is not a bad book, but is is not as helpful or as stimulating as I anticipated.

The book contains four essays by three authors and is about centering prayer.
Brad Walker
The idea of centering prayer is okay, but I thought this author took things way out of left field and I felt like I was reading mystical spiritual Buddhism techniques. Nothing personal against Buddhism techniques, just not what I expected from a general Christian read.
John Tangney
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simple and profound. Read it and live it. I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants a closer relationship with God, be they Moslem, Jew, Sikh, Christian, ...
Contemplative Outreach Hawaii
Suggested for those establishing a practice of Centering Prayer.
Sondra Jones
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Glad to discover Clarke. Mighty fine writing.
Kim Beyer

• How to Be an Antiracist
  • Lenten Gospel Reflections
  • I Heard God Laugh: A Practical Guide to Life's Essential Daily Habit
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • Synchrodestiny: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence to Create Miracles
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Time of the Magicians: Wittgenstein, Benjamin, Cassirer, Heidegger, and the Decade That Reinvented Philosophy
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • Homeland Elegies
  • Here for It; Or, How to Save Your Soul in America: Essays
  • The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
  • The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
  • The Seven Storey Mountain
  • The Five Books of Moses
  • David Copperfield
  • Love is Stronger than Death: The Mystical Union of Two Souls
Dom M. Basil Pennington O.C.S.O. (1931–2005) was a Trappist monk and priest. He was a leading Roman Catholic spiritual writer, speaker, teacher, and director.

Pennington was an alumnus of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas Angelicum where he obtained a licentiate in Theology in 1959.[1] He also earned a licentiate in Canon Law at the Pontifical Gregorian University. Pennington became k

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...