Start by marking “Wife After Wife” as Want to Read:
Wife After Wife

Wife After Wife

If Philippa Gregory and Jackie Collins went out for cocktails and wrote a book, they'd come back with Wife After Wife.

A wickedly entertaining and utterly absorbing modern take on the life and marriages of Henry VIII...if he were a twenty-first-century womanizing media mogul rather than the king of England.

Master of the universe Harry Rose is head of the Rose Corporation,
Expected publication: January 21st 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Wife After Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wife After Wife

Start your review of Wife After Wife
Meghan
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was unbelievably interesting and I wanted to know the fate of not only Harry Rose's corporation but the fate of his life from the six wives he has. This book was a mix of 50 Shades of Grey with Henry VIII but in modern times and instead of a ruler of a kingdom, it's a multi million dollar mogul. This book was very enticing
Carlton Phelps
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. No love lost for the main character Harry Rose/Henry VIII.
Ms Hayfields' updated version of Henry VIII is a wild ride. You have a page explaining how the updated character relates to the original person.
It is a wild ride watching a man who should be happy but is never satisfied destroy his life as will as causing pain to those around him.
No one is able to get away from Harry Rose untouched in some way.
A big thanks to Ms Hayfield for making this book available and Goodreads for
Sasha
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
First I would like to state that I have received this book through goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity and honor in being able to read this book. When I received this book I began reading it at once. This book was a very interesting read. It pulls you in and keeps you wanting more. I would recommend this book to others. It is a very good read
Lauren
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recieved an early copy through book club! As soon as I read the description I knew it was a must-read for me and it didn't disappoint! I couldn't put this book down from the minute I received it! The Story of Henry VII is well-known, but I enjoyed the updated story of Harry and his wives. What an accomplishment to make old history gossip feel brand new!
Rosi Hollinbeck
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Tudor period and the story of Henry VIII has always been fascinating to me, so this retelling of Henry and his many wives seemed like a clever idea for a story, and it was. The writing is crisp, the characters fairly realistic, and the story is compelling. Setting this in modern-day England with Henry being cast as a misogynist corporate mogul and releasing it in the midst of the Me Too movement is pretty clever. This is a fun book and should capture a pretty good audience. I won an ARC in a ...more
Nov 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

Thanks to edelweiss and Berkley for allowing me to read this book.
Trianna
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars.

All I have to say about this book: It was frustrating to see women who had potential to be awesome characters reduced to one dimensional stereotypes to further a man’s redemption.

Full review will be posted to the blog at some point.

*thanks to goodreads and the publisher for an arc of this book*
Sheryle
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
My copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review it.

As a huge fan of the Tudor period in English history, I was both thrilled and hesitant to begin this book. I had absolutely hated the HBO show The Tudors, and was afraid this book would be cut from the same cloth. Luckily, the book turned out to be delightful, charming and extremely clever. It was so
I love historical fiction so I was excited to get a copy of this book. Although it was well-written, I cannot say that I enjoyed it. For the first 2/3rds of the book, I hated all the characters, there wasn't one for whom I wanted to root. Katie, Harry's first wife, was meant to be sympathetic, and by the end of the book, she was, but at the beginning she was just a doormat and that frustrated me to no end.

Harry is, obviously, a womanizing misogynist who judged every woman he encountered by her
Kim McGee
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.
Henry VIII in all his glory is played out in this modern retelling. Harry is good looking, charming and very rich so he has his pick of all the beautiful women in London. He is already married to one of them but sadly just can't seem to stop himself from sampling the other delights, young and old. While we follow Harry's escapades the watch the women line up and then fall we can't help but see the parallels to the former King of all England. And, like that overactive monarch before
Kate (kate_reads_)
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed most of Wife After Wife. I love modern retellings. This story gives us Henry VIII reimagined as Harry Rose - the head of a major media company. We see his life and relationship from the 1980s through 2018.

I loved a lot of the references - clever name changes for the modern characters, the 80s and 90s pop culture that was brought into the story and the times that Henry VIII and his wives came up in the story. You can also definitely enjoy this story even if your memory for the
Dana
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wife After Wife is a modern take on Henry VIII and his six wives. While it certainly places Henry and his wives squarely in modern day, it fails to deliver its promise of a juicy, gossipy retelling. Henry VIII is a fascinating historical figure, and I was eager to see how Hayfield was going to update him to fit into the 20/21st centuries. I was disappointed to find that the writing, characters, and plot were flat and unexciting. I especially had trouble connecting to any of the characters, even ...more
Sally Stieglitz
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A creative chick lit retelling of Henry VIII in a contemporary British setting. Although the novel takes some liberties with historical facts, it still seems too tied to the obligation to check certain boxes and that gets in the way of good storytelling. I enjoyed the reimagining of characters to contemporary standards and wish the author had taken even more liberties, making the historical framework simply bare bones. The cutesy reworking of names gets a bit tiresome (Anne=Ana, Mary =Maria, ...more
Michele
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Goodreads for my print copy.

As with all the other summaries, this is a modern take on Henry VIII and his wives. Harry Rose is our Henry. He is a business tycoon who believes that all women are at his beck and call. I was wanting to LOVE this book and expected some hearty laughs out of it. However, I had to make myself move this book. I didn't find much humor. The writing didn't move me and the characters were just "eh". BUT - I am willing to try this book at a later date when I am
Chris Markley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A modern take on the life of Henry VIII as Harry Rose tries to dominate the world through his media company. In a nod to Henry VIII, Harry behaves badly towards women, his multiple lovers and wives and really any woman he meets, and feels it is his right. Those familiar with Henry VIII will recognize the characters as most are representative of the actual historical figures.It was cleverly done and was interesting to see how the characters were placed in the modern world.

Thanks to NetGalley and
Rosemary
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WIFE AFTER WIFE imagines a Henry VIII-type character in 21st century London. It's 2018 and Harry Rose, an enormously wealthy media mogul, is on wife #6, Clare, and faces accusations of sexual harassment from a former employee during the #MeToo movement. This prompts an examination of his past, including the suspicious deaths (not by beheading) of wives #2 and #5. Nearly all the characters have a Tudor equivalent and it's amusing to note the similarities and differences.
(I received
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fun. If you enjoyed The Tudors, you'll like this modern reimagining of the story of Henry VIII and his wives. It's fun to see how Hayfield will adapt each situation to modern circumstances. The death of the Anne Boleyn equivalent was especially clever. The book reminded me of the novels I used to read as a kid by Judith Krantz and Danielle Steele: sprawling sagas about rich people, some intrigue thrown in. The writing is not fabulous, but the pace keeps up.
Helen Thompson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
***ARC copy won through Goodreads giveaway***
Giving 2 1/2 stars. I had a hard time finishing this book. Those familiar with Henry VIII will recognize the characters as most are representative of the actual historical figures.It was cleverly done and was interesting to see how the characters were placed in the modern world. The idea is good but could not get into the story and characters. The writing did not move me and the characters were so so.
Shirley Freeman
This was an entertaining, if somewhat nauseating, modern retelling of the life of King Henry VIII. In this novel, Harry Rose is the owner of an ever-expanding business empire. He is forward thinking and good at hiring talent but his personal life is in shambles as he plots to get woman after woman and wife after wife. I'd like to think that women in these #metoo days would be too smart to fall for Harry's charms (and money) but I fear that's naive.
Natalie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a clever idea, replicating the 6 wives of Henry VIII in a modern setting. However, talk about predictable! We all know how these relationships are going to end. It’s a cute, light read but one that I found non-engaging. Perhaps people who aren’t as familiar with the history of HENRY VIII would have found it more interesting.

Thanks Netgalley.
Gretchen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway, which I appreciate. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get into it. The premise was interesting, a modern retelling of the Henry VIII. I would have preferred a historical fiction account. The main character, Harry Rose, seemed like a typical, shallow, self-centered Hollywood movie star rather than a business tycoon. Maybe it’s just my taste.
Hilary Nelson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cleverly written, but it was difficult for me to relate to because I'm not in aggreance with modernizing history nor classic literature in this day and time. The old days and the old ways speak so much stronger. Anyway, Olivia Hayfield is a great writer, I just didn't care for the book! You may love it

Won as a giveaway!
Angel wells
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed the story even though I stayed mad through almost the whole book. But the story did hold my attention and I did like most of the characters. It was an interesting book and I would recommend it.
carol
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Won as a Giveaway. Modern update of Henry VIII and his wives, a true soap opera of a read; fun. I would have rated book higher except for the ending which I thought was a bit rushed and tied up too neatly.
Suzi
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a modern take on the life and marriages of Henry VIII. Well, I don't know much of that history but this is a very entertaining book about Harry Rose, handsome and rich and powerful mogul in modern day England. He has had many wives and many lovers and a most interesting life.
Patricia
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
***ARC copy won through Goodreads giveaway***

3.75/5

I really enjoyed this story overall. It was entertaining and very easy to read. The concept was really great as well.

The story was very fun and quick-moving. My only issue with the pacing was that towards the end it felt a little rushed. I felt like I got to knew the first three "wives" pretty well but I kind of wish more time could've been spent focusing on his last wife.

One of the only things I found bothersome was the excessive use of pop
Sue
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olivia made me love this reincarnation of English history’s ultimate bad boy. Now how did she do that?
Megan
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute fun read
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Nancy Mijangos
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it

Cute and quirky tale mirroring the life and wives of King Henry VIII. Fun read.

• The Girl in White Gloves
  • Redhead By The Side Of The Road
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • All Adults Here
  • The Wives
  • Joe Biden: A Life of Trial and Redemption
  • The Calling: 3 Fundamental Shifts to Stay True, Get Paid, and Do Good
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things to Santa Claus: 25 Years of Santa Stories
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • Such a Fun Age
Olivia Hayfield writes modern-day retellings of historical tales. Her novel Wife After Wife (out Jan 2020 from Penguin RH in the US and Little Brown UK) explores how Henry VIII's life might play out if he were reincarnated as a 21st-century media mogul pitched against modern versions of his six wives.

Olivia is currently writing the sequel, Sister to Sister, which follows the lives of his daughters