Start by marking “Nowhere on Earth” as Want to Read:
Nowhere on Earth

Nowhere on Earth

From the Printz Award winning author of Satellite comes a compelling new novel about a girl who must brave the elements to help a lost child with an other-worldly secret.

16-year-old Emily is on the run. Between her parents and the trouble she's recently gotten into at school, she has more than enough reason to get away. But when she finds a little boy named Aidan
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere on Earth

Start your review of Nowhere on Earth
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This was one of the weirdest books I have ever read in my life. And also somehow one of the best? Like the synopsis says, I can’t tell you much about it, but the entire premise has the potential to be utterly ridiculous but it’s somehow not at all? This book got me right in the feels, and it also features some cool survival stuff and an amazing setting deep in the Alaskan wild. And family bonds! Just read it, yeah?

Straight up I read this book in May and I STILL think about it, so. I'll throw
Jude
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My initial thoughts were that this book was probably a 3.5 star book but I did find it quite compelling so I went with 4 stars. The plot is unusual - a young girl is trying to help an alien (in the form of a small boy) get to a place where he can be transported home. Don't be put off, there is a lot more to the story than that - there's a plane crash, men chasing them with assault rifles etc.
Lilyfae
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is an intriguing one, two youths on the run from mysterious men with guns in the Alaskan wilderness turns out to be far more complicated than a simple chase and survival story with awakening, coming of age and hopefulness amidst disaster permeating the plot.

Inevitable comparisons will be made to ET but I think that does the book a disservice as it really is several metaphorical journeys woven together, the actual physical journey but emotional ones too; especially the coming of age of
Georgina
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, kindle
NETGALLEY CURRENTLY HAS THIS AS A READ NOW... GO GO GO!

14/12/19 - 4.5 Stars
WOW...

I think I'm in shock right now. I fully went into this not knowing what to expect - actually I don't really remember properly reading the synopsis at all so it was definitely one hell of a ride. I have to say, not knowing what I was getting into made the whole reading experience so much more entertaining, and maybe that is why I loved this book so much. It is definitely NOT your typical survival story.

"The
Kitty Jade
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the book I was enjoying Nick Lake’s style of writing. There was description present but it was cleverly masked by the intriguing plot. When I book has heavy description it tends to take me a very long time to read it. Whereas I flicked through the novel in a couple of days! The plot wasn’t hard to follow, and you don’t need to read this book my any means. However it is a good book to get you out of a slump, and it’s different to anything I’ve read before in the YA section!
The rest of
Dawn Woods
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If anyone had told me the crucial detail of this book I would not have picked it up, and would have missed out on a wonderfully compelling novel. We quickly learn that Emily stowed away on a plane which crashes in the Alaskan mountains. Luckily she is unhurt and the pilot alive. She was accompanied by her young brother, but the reason for their escape is not fully revealed immediately. The spot tracker which will enable rescue is concealed by Emily herself, suggesting she really doesn't want to ...more
Chelsey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two kids and a pilot survive a plane crash. You soon find out that the kids are running from something or someone. The protagonist is a 16-year-old girl protecting her little brother. The book is about their journey braving the Alaskan wilderness, and running from men with guns to their destination. It’s hard to say more than that without spoilers.

I thought the writing was good, the characters well-developed. I loved the tidbits of the children’s past that slowly came to light. But the story
Deborah
An adventure story with a twist, as teenage Emily and her young brother Aidan stow away on a small plane that crashes in the Alaskan wilderness. “Men in Black” are after Aidan. Emily, with the help of the pilot, Bob, need to get Aidan through the dangerous winter environment so a message can be sent to his rescuers.

This seems like a simple adventure - humans against nature, but Aidan is not what he seems, and is here for a purpose.
Emily has her own problems about identity, self-belief, and
Eva Grinberga
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never expected to enjoy this story as much as I did.
It is a sweet tale about survival in the wild while putting your loved ones and their needs before yourself.
Easy to read and keeps your attention.
It even made me tear up towards the end.
Would be good for a younger audience as well.
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Sara Oxton
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nowhere on Earth by Nick Lake a four-star read that you need in your life. This is one of those stories that you may think twice about picking up, but don’t, it isn’t a typical story, it is deep, and you do have to pay attention while reading but its worth the attention. This seems like your typical survival against the elements, but it was so much more than that. This was a good story and well done, there were a couple of bits that didn’t sit with me, but overall it was a good story.
Neide Gomes
4.75/5 stars!

"They were flying: not high, but not touching the earth, either; they were in the snow, part of the snow, suspended and whirling and dancing, in blue light. They were energy in movement, no effort at all now, all the ease of the dance without any of the pain-they were drifting, they were flurry; they were eddies in the air made into bodies; they were snowflakes."

This book contains: fires, pushy jocks, SPOT trackers, wood cabins, plane crashes, rifles, bears, monkey plushies, ballet
Corinne Anderson
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review via NetGalley*

This book was full of adventure and super sweet. Rarely do you come across a young adult novel that doesn't have a focus on romance, but this novel did not. Instead, it focused on family ties and friendship in the face of danger. Particularly danger from the government after an alien crash-lands on Earth. Our main character, Emily, has bonded to Aidan—a young alien who has taken on the form of a little boy. Emily
Adina
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They say never judge a book by its cover but I did - whoops!

The cover is so whimsical and idealistic that I couldn't help but want to know more. I immediately pictured a childlike indie tale of two teenagers against the world. Though it didn't quite live up to the fantasy I had already built in my mind, I did enjoy Nowhere on Earth.

The plot is intriguing. Two young people on the run from mysterious men in the wilderness really makes for a compelling survival story. A unique combination of
Andromeda
Nowhere on Earth is about a mismatched trio and their trek through Alaska. It starts with a plane crash. The beginning is mysterious, and a little confusing, but is cleared up later on. The main characters consist of a sixteen year old girl, her seven year old brother, and a bush pilot named Bob. They are making a journey through Alaska while also being chased by men with guns. I can't really say much else without spoiling the book, which would be no fun.

Nick Lake's writing style is great. The
Caitlyn Martin
Elysian Fields
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This book was kind of a surprise for me. I had certain expectations based on previous reviews but it was nothing like what I had in my head. This story was part action, part journey, part coming of age/ reminder that family is very important (no matter who makes up your family).

The story starts out with a plane crash and the action starts immediately. I loved the characters in this story. They were all real, like fully fleshed out and realistic. The dialogue matched the ages of the characters
Susie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I love Nick Lake this time around. And I say that NOT to be flip or silly, but because I just never know. I heard so many great things about "In Darkness," so I grabbed it the first time I could and I thought I'd inhale it. But I didn't. I didn't even finish it actually. It never grabbed me I suppose. Then, "There Will Be Lies" came into my world and I was determined to finish it just to see how it ended. And I promptly gave it a 3.
Then came "Hostage 3" and it was like I was transformed into
Amelia
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, a beautiful bridge between adventure story and science fiction, is both fast-paced and thought-provoking. While the protagonist is a high-school aged young woman, the rugged race-to-survive should appeal to all readers, The plot centers around love: love for family, love for those we protect, and ultimately self-love and self-acceptance. In the meantime, there are wild animals, gunshots, and explosions.
While the book is generally a page-turner, it does take a long time for the
♡ Neeka ♡
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-wrap-up
Nowhere on Earth by Nick Lake
Rating:
Thank you Netgalley and Random House for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing about it. I hadn't heard about it until the ARC landed in my lap with its shiny purple cover. I never expected to get hooked as quickly as I did. I'm all for survival stories - it's kind of my thing (much like our main character Emily, I grew up with a military veteran father that taught me a ton of random survivalist
CF NAYZ
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE 1ST DAY OF CAROL LOMBARDS INJURY ON BOARD THE DC-3 IN LAS VEGAS MOUNTAINS TO BE HEARD FROM THIS AUTONOMY A RE-ENANCTMENT MIGHT BE NECASARY HER RIGHT LEG BELOW THE KNEE NEVER HEARD ON A SIDEWALK HELPED ME ACCEPT THE FORD ESCORT BRAKE LEVER AND THAT FLOATING JEANS HAIRDO WORKER WITH PATENT LEATHER BROWN SHOES THE CONCLUSSION OF THAT YOUNG FELLOW WHEN i LEFT mcdS CHEYENNE HE ADVERTISED A FALCON HIGH SHOOL GAL AND CREAMORA FELLOWSHIP JOHN AFTER HIS CONCLUSSION THE FELLOW IN THE IN AND ...more
Denise Gale
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a finished copy of this by Hodder in exchange for an honest review so thanks to Hodder as I read this in record time!
I loved this book, I started reading it and lost all track of time as I could not put it down! Its about a young girl and her brother stranded on a mountain in Alaska after their small plane crashes. Whilst on the mountain they are chased by a band of men who seem determined to stop them getting to safety. Not only is this a fast paced adventure story about survival
Dawn
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was well written and I don’t remember any typos (which unfortunately are common with ebooks.). I think the concept was a bit strange. I liked it though. Perhaps another could be written that takes place a few years in the future.
The story starts with a plane crash. Turns out Emily and little brother Aidan stowed away in hopes of reaching Anchorage. Unfortunately the men in black show up and are chasing them. They must go over 100 miles on foot to reach their destination. Did I mention
Maria Beltrami
Between ET and a guardian angel, little alien Aidan appears in Emily's life when the girl feels like she's lost everything. In the guise of a very fragile child, he accompanies Emily on a journey that, behind the apparent purpose of helping him reunite with his family, will allow the girl to find her own and get out of herself, demonstrating her strength.
Not a masterpiece, however, a pleasant book, in some places moving, with the right amount of motion and secret service that would like to get
Danae
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will have you thinking that is for sure. The moment I loved the most was when Emily's parents join them on the mountain because that is when you begin to see the depths of Emily's character and when she truly begins to understand that maybe her problems are not as big as she made them out to be. Maybe her parents understand more than she gave them credit.

I would have loved a more detailed description of what the alien looked like besides something the human mind cannot comprehend. It
Jace Chinea
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me an arc of this book for my honest opinion!

I thought this book was really wonderful. It had a lot of heart, and discussed the world we live in and how love is the universal truth. I really enjoyed the author's writing style. The book was based in Alaska, but the descriptions made me think of my own mountains right here in Colorado. I also loved the main character, Emily. She was so strong and tenacious-it was really refreshing. I can't wait to look up more of
Simone
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, NetGalley, for a complimentary ARC in exchange for my honest opinion!

The cover is gorgeous! The story is really cute!
If you don't mind that some of the events and actions the MCs take seem a bit far-fetched, this is a great read for you! I loved reading about the different relationships ... Emily's relationship with her parents and her friend Jeremy, Emily's relationship with Aidan, their slowly blossoming relationship with Bob. I definitely love the message of the book!
Melanie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily is a young, strong willed girl who is struggling with the consequences of her past actions and confused about her future. She is thrust into chaos and forced to take control to save her life and her younger brother Aidans....but all is not as it appears.

Nowhere on Earth is a captivating story with a strong central female character. I found the writing style a little hard to process when I first started reading the book but as the story progressed it grabbed my attention and flowed.

An
roxi Net
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roxiown
I think this may be the first book I’ve read by Nick Lake and I’m going to read more. ‘Nowhere on Earth’ was a quick, action-packed, survival read that focused on a sibling relationship. Accidentally committing school arson, sixteen-year-old Emily runs away with her little ‘brother’ only to have their plan crash in the Alaskan wilderness. I found this book to be a sweet sci-fi that focuses on relationships and what it’s like to be a teen that moves away from all she knows.
Clay
What I love about Nick Lake is the ambition in his stories. This one starts slowly. You'll need to hang with it for a quarter to a third of the book to get the set up, but my checking the sci fi box tells you, without spoiling, that there's more to teen Emily and younger Adrian's on-the-lam story than first appears. Part adventure story, partly a story about a teen sticking up for herself and her dreams, and a dash of #MeToo, Nowhere on Earth mostly succeeds.

• Toffee
  • The Quiet at the End of the World
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • I Am Not a Number
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Clockwork Crow (The Clockwork Crow #1)
  • The Good Thieves
  • Chasing Lucky
  • Proud
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Elysium Girls
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Dead Popular
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Wildfire
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder, #1)
My name is Nick and I write and edit books for young adults. My first YA novel IN DARKNESS, was published by Bloomsbury in 2012 and won the Michael L Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature. I also wrote a book called HOSTAGE THREE about a girl kidnapped by Somali pirates.

THERE WILL BE LIES is coming in January 15 and is about a girl who learns that everything she knows is a lie. To say it's