Start by marking “Nowhere on Earth” as Want to Read:
Nowhere on Earth

Nowhere on Earth

From the Printz Award winning author of Satellite comes a compelling new novel about a girl who must brave the elements to help a lost child with an other-worldly secret.

16-year-old Emily is on the run. Between her parents and the trouble she's recently gotten into at school, she has more than enough reason to get away. But when she finds a little boy named Aidan
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere on Earth

Start your review of Nowhere on Earth
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This was one of the weirdest books I have ever read in my life. And also somehow one of the best? Like the synopsis says, I can’t tell you much about it, but the entire premise has the potential to be utterly ridiculous but it’s somehow not at all? This book got me right in the feels, and it also features some cool survival stuff and an amazing setting deep in the Alaskan wild. And family bonds! Just read it, yeah?

Straight up I read this book in May and I STILL think about it, so. I'll throw
Lilyfae
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is an intriguing one, two youths on the run from mysterious men with guns in the Alaskan wilderness turns out to be far more complicated than a simple chase and survival story with awakening, coming of age and hopefulness amidst disaster permeating the plot.

Inevitable comparisons will be made to ET but I think that does the book a disservice as it really is several metaphorical journeys woven together, the actual physical journey but emotional ones too; especially the coming of age of
Dawn Woods
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If anyone had told me the crucial detail of this book I would not have picked it up, and would have missed out on a wonderfully compelling novel. We quickly learn that Emily stowed away on a plane which crashes in the Alaskan mountains. Luckily she is unhurt and the pilot alive. She was accompanied by her young brother, but the reason for their escape is not fully revealed immediately. The spot tracker which will enable rescue is concealed by Emily herself, suggesting she really doesn't want to ...more
Deborah
An adventure story with a twist, as teenage Emily and her young brother Aidan stow away on a small plane that crashes in the Alaskan wilderness. “Men in Black” are after Aidan. Emily, with the help of the pilot, Bob, need to get Aidan through the dangerous winter environment so a message can be sent to his rescuers.

This seems like a simple adventure - humans against nature, but Aidan is not what he seems, and is here for a purpose.
Emily has her own problems about identity, self-belief, and
Eva Grinberga
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never expected to enjoy this story as much as I did.
It is a sweet tale about survival in the wild while putting your loved ones and their needs before yourself.
Easy to read and keeps your attention.
It even made me tear up towards the end.
Would be good for a younger audience as well.
Sâmella
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quão bom é o sentimento de ter começado uma leitura sem saber exatamente o que esperar dela e terminar a leitura com o coração quentinho e leve pelo o que se leu? Foi esse o meu sentimento ao chegar à última página do livro e até agora ainda não saber ao certo como explicar o que gostei no livro, mas vou tentar.

À princípio, Nowhere on Earth não tem nada de muito chamativo. A história de uma garota acompanhada do irmão e de um piloto de avião que ficam perdidos nas montanhas do Alaska após a
Adina
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They say never judge a book by its cover but I did - whoops!

The cover is so whimsical and idealistic that I couldn't help but want to know more. I immediately pictured a childlike indie tale of two teenagers against the world. Though it didn't quite live up to the fantasy I had already built in my mind, I did enjoy Nowhere on Earth.

The plot is intriguing. Two young people on the run from mysterious men in the wilderness really makes for a compelling survival story. A unique combination of
Elysian Fields
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This book was kind of a surprise for me. I had certain expectations based on previous reviews but it was nothing like what I had in my head. This story was part action, part journey, part coming of age/ reminder that family is very important (no matter who makes up your family).

The story starts out with a plane crash and the action starts immediately. I loved the characters in this story. They were all real, like fully fleshed out and realistic. The dialogue matched the ages of the characters
Susie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I love Nick Lake this time around. And I say that NOT to be flip or silly, but because I just never know. I heard so many great things about "In Darkness," so I grabbed it the first time I could and I thought I'd inhale it. But I didn't. I didn't even finish it actually. It never grabbed me I suppose. Then, "There Will Be Lies" came into my world and I was determined to finish it just to see how it ended. And I promptly gave it a 3.
Then came "Hostage 3" and it was like I was transformed into
♡ Neeka ♡
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nowhere on Earth by Nick Lake
Rating:
Thank you Netgalley and Random House for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing about it. I hadn't heard about it until the ARC landed in my lap with its shiny purple cover. I never expected to get hooked as quickly as I did. I'm all for survival stories - it's kind of my thing (much like our main character Emily, I grew up with a military veteran father that taught me a ton of random survivalist
Amelia
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, a beautiful bridge between adventure story and science fiction, is both fast-paced and thought-provoking. While the protagonist is a high-school aged young woman, the rugged race-to-survive should appeal to all readers, The plot centers around love: love for family, love for those we protect, and ultimately self-love and self-acceptance. In the meantime, there are wild animals, gunshots, and explosions.
While the book is generally a page-turner, it does take a long time for the
Denise Gale
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a finished copy of this by Hodder in exchange for an honest review so thanks to Hodder as I read this in record time!
I loved this book, I started reading it and lost all track of time as I could not put it down! Its about a young girl and her brother stranded on a mountain in Alaska after their small plane crashes. Whilst on the mountain they are chased by a band of men who seem determined to stop them getting to safety. Not only is this a fast paced adventure story about survival
Dawn
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was well written and I don’t remember any typos (which unfortunately are common with ebooks.). I think the concept was a bit strange. I liked it though. Perhaps another could be written that takes place a few years in the future.
The story starts with a plane crash. Turns out Emily and little brother Aidan stowed away in hopes of reaching Anchorage. Unfortunately the men in black show up and are chasing them. They must go over 100 miles on foot to reach their destination. Did I mention
Melanie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily is a young, strong willed girl who is struggling with the consequences of her past actions and confused about her future. She is thrust into chaos and forced to take control to save her life and her younger brother Aidans....but all is not as it appears.

Nowhere on Earth is a captivating story with a strong central female character. I found the writing style a little hard to process when I first started reading the book but as the story progressed it grabbed my attention and flowed.

An
Denise
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Having just survived the crash of the plane they had stowed away on, teenager Emily and her little brother Aidan are on the run in the Alaskan wilderness, pursued by mysterious men with guns. What do they want? You'll have to read the book to find out. This is both an action-filled survival thriller and an inspiring story of following your dreams, a coming-of-age tale with a special twist - and it's just beautiful.
Charlie
Sometimes the writing in this novel was spectacular, at other times it just dragged. Overall, the premise of this book was really interesting, but there were some plot devices that I outright did not like. This is an intriguing book, but not the run-of-the-mill survival/adventure story I was expecting... I'm still torn about this one, but not really sure who would love it.
Pollyanna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and very different coming-of-age book wrapped up in Men-In-Black type scenario. I was amazed to get to the end and find it was written by a man - from the viewpoint of an adolescent girl. He got it spot on.
Maci
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It did feel a little too short, however that could have very well been due to the fact that I couldn’t put it down.

Thank you, Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book and leave my honest review.
Paul
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good one by a talented and experience author. It has a good plot with nice twists and interesting characters. It's an easy and compelling read. Good stuff.

I really appreciate the copy for review!
Tierra
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure magic. It fell into my lap at the perfect time. I think this book did a great job of jumping you right into the story but feeding you breadcrumbs along the way of how it got to this point. It is a quick read but has so much soul and love poured into it.

Woff
God, I love the cover of this book.
Millie
Shelves: owned
3.5*/5*
Nicole
Oct 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review to come soon!
Michael
This was enjoyable but I found myself a little unsatisfied with the way that things wrapped up.
Georgina Bennett
PRE-READ
09/12/19 - Let's get this show on the road!

ARC received from NetGalley
Lily
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, unique and with so much heart beneath it all. These are all words I'm coming to relate to Nick Lake's writing. I didn't get along well with the first couple of his books that I tried to read, but Satellite and Nowhere on Earth have been so beautiful and spell-binding. I love his characters and the messages of hope and love that are at the central to his writing, especially with Nowhere on Earth.

Emily and Aidan were beautiful characters. Emily with her love for Aidan and how much she
Galleywampus -
Will work really well with teens looking for a book written in a "teen voice."
Zoe
6/10.
Abbie
Jul 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Quiet at the End of the World
  • Toffee
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Proud
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • As Happy as Here
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Burning
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • The Land of Roar
  • Brightstorm (Sky-Ship Adventure, #1)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • No Fixed Address
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
My name is Nick and I write and edit books for young adults. My first YA novel IN DARKNESS, was published by Bloomsbury in 2012 and won the Michael L Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature. I also wrote a book called HOSTAGE THREE about a girl kidnapped by Somali pirates.

THERE WILL BE LIES is coming in January 15 and is about a girl who learns that everything she knows is a lie. To say it's