Start by marking “Harleen” as Want to Read:

(Harleen #1-3)

Dr. Harleen Quinzel has a theory: mental illness is a survival mechanism. As she seeks to help the broken souls of Gotham City piece together their sanity she will become the one thing she fears the most: one of them. A bold new retelling of the tragic origin of Harley Quinn told through the eyes of the only person who knows her better than anyone: Harleen.

A young
Published February 11th 2020 by DC Black Label

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 11, 2020
    Enter for the chance to win the hit comic book series, Harleen by Stjepan Sejic!

Warning: Mature content 17+

Dr. Harleen Quinzel has a theory: mental

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1500 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 15 - Feb 28, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Harleen, please sign up.

Start your review of Harleen
    Anne
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I'm not a huge Harley Quinn fan. I like her well enough as a character, but I usually cringe when someone who doesn't read comics tells me that she's their favorite, because they're usually just some ding-dong who wants an excuse to wear booty shorts and pigtails as a Halloween costume.
    Nope, I picked this up because I saw the name Stjepan Šejić.
    His art is beyond phenomenal, so it wouldn't have mattered who the hell this was about, I would have immediately grabbed it.

description

I knew this was going to
    Tim
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: reviewed

Oh...

Oh…

Holy. Shit.

Sorry, I try not to curse in much in reviews, but I really don't know how else to respond to this. Stjepan Sejic has created not only one of the best comics I've ever read set in the DC universe, but one of the best psychological takes on the characters.

This won't be a review. I can't review this. I can only gush over it.

Harleen is a retelling of Harley Quinn's origin story. It is printed under DC's Black Label line (essentially an R rated line that can use more
    Gabrielle
    Happy Valentines Day, Puddin'!

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. On that road I saw a pale man... and he smiled at me."

Thanks to Todd Philips’ “Joker”, my obsession with my beloved Mr. J has gotten seriously out of control in late 2019. I even started watching “Gotham” and fell head over heels for the Valeska twins (because two Jokers are better than one… and I love me a ginger with a wicked grin!). So, needless to say, I was waiting for my copy of “Harleen” to be delivered with
    David Schaafsma
    I have not yet read any of Stjepan Šejić's Sunstone series, as none of the libraries in my system dared to put it on their shelves. What do I know about it? It's a F/F romance which begins with an assumption that two women can get together for a little BDSM play and just walk away (someone told me that "Sunstone" is the "safe word" they choose in their "play"). Sounds like fun, a little bit naughty? I just ordered the first volume, we'll see.

So I picked up Šejić's Harleen, which is the title of
    Stacy Fetters
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    "My story’s the one where the girl dances with the devil, and he takes her with him on a long road to hell."

Harley Quinn was always the character that interested me the most. She’s smart and knew exactly what she wanted but she was also this psychotic badass who didn’t let anything stop her. Let’s not forget about her two lovely side pieces.

Harleen delves deeper into the life of Dr. Quinzel and how she became a Doctor at one of the most intense Asylums in Gotham. She had major plans to see what
    L. McCoy
    Holy fuck! Yep, I actually ended up giving a Harley Quinn series a 5-star rating!

What’s it about?
    Dr. Harleen Quinnzel has issues. The scientific community looks down on her, she has low self esteem and even PTSD after nearly being killed by Joker. She thinks things are getting better when she gets funding for some potentially ground breaking mental health research... but to do it she has to deal with her new patients at Arkham and that only makes things worse as she descends into madness.

Why it
    Beth The Vampire
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recently, I have been interested in the psychology of the villain.

With the release of the movie Joker, this topic has come to the forefront. Now, this character is a murderous psychopath, his motivations are often unknown, and he has so many backstories it’s hard to know which one may be real, if any. But the movie doesn’t ask you to empathise with the Joker, but simply to understand him and watch his story unfold. What could create such a ‘monster?’ Is it trauma, society, or something deeper?
    Jen
    Messed. Up. Poor Harley. Poor, poor Harley. 5, violent and depressing, stars.
    Quentin Wallace
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This surpassed all of my expectations and is by far the best series of the DC Black Label imprint up to this point. This did for Harley Quinn what the Joker movie did for the Joker, which is basically give us a definitive origin story. Of course the movie isn't really "in continuity", and I'm not sure where this stands in DC continuity either, but to me this was the definitive origin.

We see Harley Quinn when she first goes to Arkham Asylum in an attempt to "save" the psychotic criminals there,
    Kara
    Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: graphic-novel

An AMAZING version of Harley Quinn's origin. The text and the illustrations are both top notch, and, better yet, compliment each other wonderfully. There are a lot of pictures of two different faces split and placed side by side to show two different emotions to the same event while there is lots of talk about the divide between sanity and insanity - mostly while Joker and his earnest doctor are on two sides of a piece of bullet proof glass. And Two-Face's origin is mixed in as well, for even
    Mindi
    Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow, so this is something special. You can just feel it as the story goes on, and the illustrations become more and more stunning, and the story just continues to get better and better. This is the origin story that I have a feeling a lot of Harley fans have been waiting for. I know I have. And I'm now anxiously awaiting the next book to arrive. If you are a fan of Harley Quinn, you definitely need to read this one ASAP.
    Albert
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Harleen by Stjepan Sejic is the latest in the line of Black Label comics from DC, following on the heels of Batman: Damned and Superman: Year One, and for the most part I have been underwhelmed by the Black Label line. But with Harleen they seemed to have upped their game quite a bit.

Harleen Quinzell is trying to figure out what to do with her life when she has the thought that what she really likes to do, and seems to be quite good at it, is listen to her friends problems. So she embarks on
    Billy Jepma
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: comics, 2020
    Woah.

I wasn’t sure what this “mature” origin story for Harley Quinn would look like, and was even less sure of its ability to deliver a compelling story that didn’t glamorize the kind of violence and tragedy that (should) define it. But...against the odds, Stjepan Šejić really did something great here.

“Harleen” doesn’t *not* glamorize Harley’s origin—Šejić’s signature style is inherently “sexy”—but it doesn’t shy away from how twisted it is either. Even when “Harleen” illustrates the Joker’s
    Oneirosophos
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
    That was...unbelievably bad!

Stjepan Sejic is an epic artist, but this Telltaleverse-inspired origin of Harley Quinn is bad. Another bad entry in Black Label, avoid unless you want a painfull borefest full of endless badly written monologues...

The only good part happens in the ending, where stuff finally happens and Stjepan draws wonderfully Ivy, but it is too late...
    Malum
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Excellent Harley Quinn origin story with mostly gorgeous art. It loses a star because I absolutely HATED how Joker was drawn. He looked like an underwear model or a Twilight movie reject.
    Γιώργος Μπελαούρης
    epic new intro
    beautiful art
    TJ
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is basically a grittier, more realistic version of Mad Love. It’s one of the best graphic novels I’ve read lately, and even possibly my new favorite Batman comic. (Sorry, Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke!) Harley was just such a real character, and her decent into her feelings for Joker was so believable. And... I never thought I’d be on board for any sort of Joker/Harley relationship because it’s so abusive, but I found myself drawn to their chemistry in this book. It also fleshed out ...more
    Heather V  ~The Other Heather~
    Okay, so I originally left a placeholder here (see below) for a longer review, but I realize now that, aside from shameless fangirling, I only had one major thing to add, which was this panel:

Tell me that's not the most breathtaking thing you've seen today. Go on, I'll wait.

HARLEEN is veritably stuffed full of panels and splashes like this one. Dr. Quinzel's shadow is used to excellent effect more than once, and there are countless other little details left all over the place for fans to sink
    Chris Greensmith
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: dc-black-label
    "It made a sad kind of sense that in the end, I gravitated to the one person who actually seemed to need me...the one person who maybe even liked me...the person who twice held my life in his hands. The first time he gave me nightmares...the second time...well, the second time he gave me some very different kinds of dreams..."
    A good little origin for Harley Quinn her, very enjoyable, this DC Black Label shiz is good...
    Mary Bronson
    I thought this was such a great take on the Harley Quinn story. I'm happy with the art style and just how the series is going to go. How Harley Quinn at first wanted to help the criminals and find out why some have no empathy. Also showing how Harleen first met The Joker and how he haunted her dreams for months. Can not wait for the next issue to come out.
    Cyberpunkkitten
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is probably one of the best comic series I have read in a very long time. I'm not sure if DC's Black Label allows for more creative freedom, but this series about the transformation of this young psychiatrist into the the infamous Harley Quinn was absolutely incredible. From it's breathtaking artwork to it's detailed and humanizing storyline, I was incredibly impressed with how much thought and research was put into the psychology of the villains as well as Harleen herself. The creator ...more
    Taiylor Mundy
    Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Not sure Sejic can do anything wrong, but this book is just so amazing. Beautiful, dark, and so well crafted.
    Xavier Hugonet
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: comics
    Stjepan Sejić has been working a long time on this, and shared a lot on social media, building anticipation. The resulting comic doesn’t disappoint.

Dr. Harleen Quinzel aka Harley Quinn’s origin story has seemingly been told several times, but was actually only brushed upon. At no point did we really delve into the process that turned her mind. The tapes found in the Arkham video games might actually have been the best insight we got on what happened to her, until now.

Stjepan Sejić seems intent
    Jess W
    Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The artwork is great. It’s nice to finally get back to the original Harley Quinn. There have been so many origins stories, and like most, I prefer the original. This is like a better version of Mad Love I cannot wait to read the next two!! ...more
    47Time
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Holy crap, Harley is hot AF. The comic in general is as beautiful as you would expect from this artist. On top of that it's an engaging originstory with just the right amount of violence, humor and introspection. It fits the characters perfectly and, thanks to the focus on the main character, enhances her background like few other stories do.

Dr.Harleen Quinzel is discouraged after one of herlectures doesn't reach the attendees as she had hoped. Her theory is based on the idea that all psychoses
    Kiki
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I’m a recent fan of Stjepan — his artwork is gorgeous, I really love his art style, but I can’t really get behind his original work since I’m not a fan of the themes/genres he writes about. However, his interpretation of Harleen Quinzell’s origin story is superb. I used to watch “Batman the Animated Series” with my brother and I really liked the noir art tone that set the stage for Batman’s adventures with the Joker. The artwork, although not gritty noir, in Stjepan’s retelling is top-notch, ...more
    Salamanderinspace
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: lgbtq
    An intensely cinematic art style makes this feel more like a movie than a comic. Narration, deliberation, and a touch of noir. A beautiful, dark story that held my attention.

Still, I always hope for more from stories about Harley Quinn. There's a lot of unexplored territory in the way women are socialized to seek male approoval that could come into play in her twisted "love" story. Some things did intrigue me about Sejic's Harleen. She's deferential in a way that comes from fear. She's very
    Paul W.
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Far better and darker than I expected. It charts how manipulative the Joker is and how he convince the lonely, sad and desperate Harley to fall for him. However, it does not remove that this is what she wants and wanted. She is simultaneously victim and villain. It's fantastic.
    Krissy
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    If I could give more stars I would. Masterful.
    Michelle Morrell
    Great art, great origin story, all around excellent.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »
    Download PDF/ePub eBook Harleen by Stjepan Sejic 1 5 Feb 12, 2020 06:35AM
    Stjepan Šejić is a Croatian comic book writer and artist, known for his work on the series Witchblade, Aphrodite IX, Sunstone, and The Darkness among others.

• Batman: Last Knight on Earth