Start by marking “The Decoy” as Want to Read:
The Decoy

The Decoy

In the rural, English village of Heronsford, Eliza and David Armstrong live in the farmhouse Eliza was brought up in. Her now elderly mother lives in a small converted barn close by.

Surrounded by friends, the Armstrong’s appear to have an idyllic life. But when two members of their social group die in suspicious circumstances, a cloud falls over the village.

Are the death
Kindle Edition
Published August 12th 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Decoy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decoy

Linda Strong
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It's a quaint English village, filled with friendly residents, some of them even quirky. It's small, it's quiet, a place where everyone knows everyone else.

At least until now. Two members of the residents have died under suspicious circumstances. One lady, a photographer, seemingly drowned herself. She was known to be a non-swimmer, with a terror of water, in general. Would she have killed herself this way? And why?

One of the villagers believes she knows what happened ... and is prepared for any
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

When I first started The Decoy by Florrie Palmer I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but as I continued to read, I liked it more and more and ended up really enjoying it!

What it's about: In the small English village of Heronsford, Eliza Armstrong and her husband live in the home she grew up in, with her mother Annie living on the property as well. Eliza and Jay's business is struggling, but their group of friends helps to take her mind off of it, although Jay is incredibly
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Shelves: loved-it
I do love a story set in a small village. This was well written and enjoyable.

When a woman is found dead a whole lot of questions are asked.

More murders means more questions.

This was a refreshing read from what I normally read. If you like cosy mysteries then this will be ideal for you.
Amanda
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there’s one thing that this Ginger Book Geek likes, it’s discovering new authors. Florrie Palmer is most definitely a new author to me. I read the synopsis for ‘The Decoy’ and it certainly sounded like my kind of read. I started reading and overall I did enjoy the book.
I have to be honest and say that it took me quite a while to get into this book and I wasn’t actually sure that I would be able to finish reading it but that has more to do with the fact that I was very tired and feeling a bit
Alyson Read
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is set in a rural village called Heronsfield near Cambridge and centres around a group of friends living there. Eliza and Jay live in her family's old farmhouse with two daughters, with Eliza's mother Annie situated conveniently near in a converted barn on their land. They are part of a close knit circle of friends there who meet up for drinks and meals, and life appears generally good until two of their number die in separate tragic accidents. The atmosphere over the whole village dar ...more
Lel Budge
Shelves: bloodhound
In the idyllic village of Heronsford, friends, family and neighbours regularly meet up for weekly socialising and the local pub…

There’s, Eliza and husband Jay and mum Annie, Actress Francesca, wealthy Bob and Stella, Kate and Hamish and Louise and Patrick.

One day Louise’ body is found in their pool and it’s thought possible suicide. Then Stella’s little dog is found dead in a pond….along with petty vandalism the villages takes a sinister turn and everyone is on edge…then another body is found …j
Karen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m almost breathless after reading this book. I absolutely was not able to put it down. If you like people puzzles this is the book for you. Wow, trying to figure out who was evil and who was not was a wonderful challenge. I love this kind of book. It kept me intrigued right to the last page. I will probably read it again. I would love to see a movie made from this story. I’m so happy I have found another author that writes awesome psychological thrillers! I will be following her for sure.
Bookish Biker
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A small village in the countryside, a close group of friends, a dead dog, a couple of accidental deaths and all the suspicions that surround them are the basis for Florrie Palmer's The Decoy.

But, if you're expecting a gory, gruesome edge-of-your-seat thriller, you're going to be disappointed. Instead, what you get is a thoroughly engrossing and very English whodunnit, with smart writing, clever misdirection and a cast of characters that are well-written and very, very flawed. It kind of sneaks
Patricia Dixon
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very clever title for a very good book.

I love cozy mystery’s but there was something a bit different about this one, the style and narrative dragged me in and instantly transported me to a sleepy country village. The writing was intelligent and suited the main character of Annie, I liked her instantly. Yet despite being eased into the story and due to the intriguing prologue, a sense of impending doom pervaded every page. The story was pacy and as each character was introduced I couldn’t help
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a new author to me, so I began reading with no expectations. It is definitely a "slow burner"! It is set in a rural countryside town and is written so well you actually feel you are part of the story. I think if you enjoy the type of book that has you guessing which person is the "goodie" or the "baddie", this book is for you! I was sat trying to work it out all the way though! I really enjoyed the story and found myself saying "just one more page" instead of sleeping! hahahaha! Will def ...more
Ruth Matheson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book for me is the quintessential murder in an English village setting. We have the death/murder of one of its residents, however there are no witnesses and no suspects. Just as the villagers are getting back on track, there is a fire and another death - is this a murder or a freak accident? Add to this the personal trials and tribulations of everyday family life and the reader is moved along at a good pace, wondering who is causing all this heartache and why. Great twist at the end too ju ...more
Danny Matheson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heresnsford is a typical country village where everyone knows everyone else. When two women die in suspicious circumstances the villagers start wondering if they are living in the midst of a murderer and stay looking at others in a different light.
This book is a show burner at first with Florrie Palmer setting the scene in a very descriptive way. Stick with it and you will be amazed as things unravel.
Ultimately this is a well written book that will have you wondering who the perpetrator is until
Bobbi Wagner
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author, I enjoyed it from beginning to end. It is a creative story that left me sitting on the edge of my seat a few times. I enjoyed the characters as well. They are well developed and I enjoyed watching them grow throughout the story. It took a little bit for me to get into the story but once it took off it took off and I had a hard time putting it down. I didn't regret picking this book up and neither will you. I will be looking more from this author. I highly re ...more
Mary Johnson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read that was entertaining in a gentle way. A quiet book about a quiet village and some of its questionable residents.

The murders slip up on the reader with uncertainty: was it murder; if so by whom and why? I guessed some of the clues about who was to die but did not guess the killer until the reveal..... Nor some of the other stuff finally revealed at the end.

Not a fast read with lots of blood and gore but a welcome change..... A bit like an Agatha Christie who dunnit.

Vina
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The Decoy” by Florrie Palmer is an enjoyable book. It is based in the countryside, and is about a few couples who meet regularly.Somewhere down the line, there appears to be a ruthless, murderous shadow hovering around this group of friends. One by one, they are being picked off. Who is it, and why are they doing this?
Even though this isn’t one of those books that drive you along at a breakneck pace, it is interesting enough to keep you reading, especially towards the end.

4 Stars
Angie George
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from Bloodhound Books to review. It didnt disappoint. In a similar vein to an Agatha Christie novel, it starts in a village in southern England where a group of rich friends dine together, spend leisure time together and have secrets. Secrets may get them killed.
As the body count starts to rise these secrets get revealed culminating in a thrilling end.
A very good read.
Miki Jacobs
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heronsford is a quiet little village and a small group of friends regularly get together on a social basis.
They consist of several couples and a single woman. Everyone has their secrets, some more public than others. When Louise is found at the bottom of her pool, eyebrows are raised. Louise was terrified of water, so drowning herself wouldn’t have been an option, would it?
When someone else dies, Annie B, a retired QC, has her suspicions raised. Can she prove it?
Bev
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read, own-it
At first, I wasn't sure about this book at all. Seemed like almost everyone in the rural English village of Heronsford was having a rough time. It took a while for me, for the story to really start going. But once murders started happening things really got going! I was surprised at who the "decoy" was and why. There were some characters that I really felt bad for, and some I wanted to just slap! Great story! I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book from Bloodhound Books.
Chris Nolan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Once again I am grateful to Bloodhound Books for another ARC and an enjoyable read. This is an interesting story with lots of deaths, a whole slew of credible culprits and a surprising ending. However, I found the style of writing rather twee and the story lacked real tension. The characters were cyphers rather than fully developed personalities.
Diane Warburton
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of twists and turns with a great storyline. An intriguing read that keeps you guessing throughout. Murder, suicide or a dreadful accident? And if the former, what possible motive? The village is wrapped in secrets which slowly unfold. It's great to read a crime thriller with plenty of mystery and this book has it all.
Lynn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A “who done it” with a twist.

Who doesn’t love a good “who done it”!
Well this doesn’t disappoint.

Cleverly written this draws you in and you begin making your own assumptions on who killed the lovely Annie.

But not is all quite as it seems.

I loved the twist part way through: and here begins Annie’s part of the story, leading to; for me what was an emotional ending.
Linda
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An easy enjoyable read. Deceptively simple with what appeared to be less complex characters. However I did not guess the ending until it was revealed. Thank you Bloodhound books for an entertaining read.
BARRY J COLES
Dawn
Sep 07, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please Update Blurb 2 10 Aug 16, 2019 08:05AM
1 follower
One of the first British female singer-songwriters, Florrie’s songs have been recorded by many, including Agnetha Faltskog - the blonde from Abba - Manfred Mann, Mike Rutherford of Genesis, Elaine Paige and Sheena Easton. Her biggest hits were recorded by Sheena Easton, who secured the number one spot in America for six weeks with 9-5 (Morning Train) resulting in a platinum record followed by a nu ...more