Start by marking “The Letter To The Ephesians” as Want to Read:
The Letter To The Ephesians

The Letter To The Ephesians (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From a foremost authority on the New Testament comes a major new commentary on Ephesians--a letter of truth, love, and unity to our superficial world.

This newest volume in the PILLAR NEW TESTAMENT SERIES provides a rich exposition of Ephesians, one of the most significant documents ever written. Using the fruits of recent biblical research, Peter O'Brien shows how Ephesian

Hardcover
Published November 19th 1999 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published October 25th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Letter To The Ephesians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letter To The Ephesians

Gerald
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great commentary on the book of Ephesians. In fact, many bible scholars regard this as the best.
On the contrary, I find the writing style complex and often difficult to understand. You will have to read a sentence twice or more to understand what it's actually saying.
I prefer John Stott commentary on Ephesians. It is more straight-to-the-point, concise and easy to understand.
Josh Pannell
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good commentary. A few weird views. Incredible defense of Pauline authorship.

In his explanation of chapter one verse three he does a good job explaining the theme of “in the heavenly realms.” This helped my understanding of the idea which is mentioned throughout the book. In verse four he takes “in love” to be connected to “holy and blameless.” However, he doesn’t argue for it very well. Because of this he sees love as part of the mission of the predestination of the Father. He interprets the te
Joe Haack
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentaries
Pound for pound, the most helpful commentary I had during my sermon preparation.
1nemind
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
In yet another excellent commentary to add to The Pillar New Testament Commentary series by Eerdmans we have a work that is scholarly and thoroughly evangelical. You will find it a challenge to find a better work on Ephesians!

The author, O'Brien is senior research fellow in New Testament at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is well-known for his major biblical commentaries, including this particular one on The Letter to the Ephesians, and several publications on the subject of
Aaron
I didn't read every bit of this but I read a good chunk of it. Left off the last two chapters of Ephesians which is a good chunk itself. ---

This is an academic commentary and therefore the style is predictably boring. With that said, the exegesis in this book is masterful. I say this without being a scholar, but from my viewpoint, O'Brien has thought long and hard about what he is writing.

The book has clarified Paul's letter to the Ephesians for me in especially one way, which is connecting the
Katrece
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while leading a 12 week Bible study of the book of Ephesians. It's a great commentary in every way. I'm going to again use this commentary series for the next study I teach (I first discovered the series when teaching the book of James). I especially loved how the author addressed Ephesians 4:9-10. He equally presents the most popular views in Christendom. Also, he eloquently argues to support his position.
Rick Dobrowolski
Peter O'Brien's commentary on Ephesians delves into the Greek of the passage but does not get bogged down in nuances and debates. I have found his commentary to be very engaging and practically oriented, as well as theological sound.
Bauer Evans
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pastors
Recommended to Bauer by: Jeff Purswell
"Pound for pound' my best commentary on Paul's letter to Ephesians. O'Brien is a master scholar, writer, pastor-exegete.
Marshall Walter
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentaries
Peter O'Brien is great - I've yet to find a book of his that I don't like.
Don
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best commentary I know on Ephesians!
Galyn Wiemers
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reference book used to teach through the book of Ephesians
Eric
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Easy to work with compared to the more technical commentary series', the Pillar commentary remains informative for the lay person.
Jonas Erne
Jeff Breeding
Feb 22, 2017
Casey Lawson
Feb 14, 2015
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Romans
  • The Epistle to the Hebrews
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Book of Revelation
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
O'Brien is senior research fellow in New Testament at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is well-known for his major biblical commentaries, including The Letter to the Ephesians (Apollos), and several publications on the subject of mission.
More about Peter T. O'Brien...

Pillar New Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel according to Matthew
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (The Pillar New Testament Commentary (PNTC))
  • The First Letter to the Corinthians