Start by marking “Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest” as Want to Read:
Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest

Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest

(Magic: The Gathering #74)

In the exciting new story of Magic's latest release, Throne of Eldraine, the young warrior-mage twins Rowan and Will Kenrith quest for their missing father, High King Kenrith. Venturing far from the safety of the Realm, their search takes them deep into the Wilds—a hostile land of faeries, monsters, and untamed magic. A chance encounter with the wily and inscrutable shapes ...more
Kindle Edition
Published September 4th 2019 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Throne of Eldraine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throne of Eldraine

Joseph
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just to level-set: I've played Magic: The Gathering, but not since Bill Clinton was president, and I know nothing about the lore or the world or the larger story.

So, with that out of the way, I did enjoy Throne of Eldraine, a novella-length quest/coming of age story with a couple of generally likeable protagonists, and plenty of glimpses into the much larger, planes-spanning universe of the game.
Fuzzy Cow
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Throne of Eldraine is a story about the plane of Eldraine, a fantasy land full of chivalrous knights, witches and elves. In the society of the Realm, the five civilized kingdoms, fend of the Wild (magic forces that emerge from the dangerous and mysterious forest that encompasses this plane). The five kingdoms work together only as long as they are supporting the chosen High King, ascended through accomplishing deadly tasks in each of the kingdoms. The High King is supported by his wife, and his ...more
Jorge Rosas
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I had troubles keeping on with the pace of this book, there’s some characters that I couldn’t follow and were not appealing, the story could have been a little bit faster, and it leaves a lot of doubts about why, but at least Garruk is back and he finally finds some peace. The story follows the quest of two high born twins trying to find the king and avoid the chaos and possible war between the wilderness and the human realm.
Trent
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
What an okay book. I’ll say this much, Wilderd Quest is leagues better than War of the Spark -but that isn’t exactly a high bar to jump (more like a shriveled twig someone dropped on the ground and left in place after throwing up their hands in disgust).

The character perspectives are both limited in number and consistent, and I won’t shy away from saying that it feels good not to see the Gatewatch for what is probably the first time since Oath of the Gatewatch. I actually like Will and Rowan. Th
Ed
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A perfunctory fantasy adventure that, whilst not outright bad, is certainly lacklustre and fails at what should probably be its primary goal.
Media tie-ins are always going to be hard to get right, and often leave you with the feeling that the story has been written by comittee. That's certainly the case here, I had the distinct impression that Elliot was ticking off boxes that she'd been given, rather than being allowed to craft an engaging and original story. Which is a shame, as this book is n
Dimitris
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book. Maybe even great. The story is solid if predictable, but the area where the book shines is the characters, especially the antagonists. We have seen many villains in magic who act how they act to increase their own power or to conquer or destroy to benefit themselves. But rarely do we see a genuine agent of chaos, and moreover one who is such an agent because of truly held convictions and not a desire to simply see the world burn.

That's not to say the protagonists don't give a good s
Ryan Patrick
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-2019, fantasy
Not a great book/story in and of itself--the only people who will appreciate this is fully-invested Magic players, and even then it is only so-so. Many of the recent Magic fiction projects have been like this, and I wonder whether it is the author's own deficiencies that make these stories rather drab, or whether they are being 'instructed' and 'directed' by the creative team so much that their own talents get lost in the requirements. Having said that, I have been enjoying Django Wexler's seria ...more
Francisco
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So another new Magic the Gathering novel, following up on the pretty bad War of the Spark novel, but not following the story exactly, moving us to the up to now unknown plane of Eldraine. There was a conspicuous absence among the planeswalkers present in War of the Spark and that was Garruk, we get to see what's up with him now.

Fortunately, this is a pretty good and self-contained novel. Of course knowing more about the general world of MTG helps, but it isn't strictly necessary, the main protag
Monsieur
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Je n'avais pas lu de fantasy depuis un moment, et jamais lu de fantasy écrite "sur commande", The Wildered Quest étant l'illustration en roman de la dernière édition du jeu de carte Magic the Gathering.

L'histoire narre la quête des jumeaux Rowan et Will, à la recherche de leur père... et se révèle beaucoup trop courte. Kate Elliot dispose d'un matériau extrêmement riche mais ne fait qu'évoquer des lieux, des personnages et des créatures qui auraient pu constituer un récit original, malgré le con
Myta Santiago
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Good intro to Throne of Eldraine set

Officially inspired to create a Garruk tribal deck. But that’s beside the point.

Overall, the story was that of any coming-of-age tale of family tensions, of trusting strangers and sticking to your own kind, and the discovery of one’s own power and using it for good and evil. These themes get thrown around and honestly, depending on the delivery, the messages never get old.

My only complaint about this book is how one-sided a majority of the characters are—save
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s nothing all *that* special about “Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest”. It’s a well-done high fantasy story that tropes all over the place, with a story that isn’t all that surprising or original. And yet I liked it quite a bit. It’s... well-done, especially for a “Magic: the Gathering” tie-in novel, and that extra flavor makes it something a little special for me.

What if you’re not a “Magic: the Gathering” fan? The novel itself is fairly standalone, with occasional odd references to
Shawn
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very linear plot serves to quickly dump tons of information to some of the key characters featured on the new cards but does little to set the plane and its characters apart from any other sword and sorcery setting. My guess was that the author was told to be very vague about motivations and backstory to make sure not to establish anything that would conflict with plot that has yet to come. In fact the only character with a hint of flavor is the side character Elenora a kind of knight who prai ...more
A.E. Marling
If you care to ride away with the righteous knights of Eldraine, or if you would follow the Planeswalker Garruk into the woods, you may relish The Wildered Quest. You will learn more of the Arthurian Realm in a plane thrumming with faerie tales. The cover features Rowan Kenrith, but her brother Will may be the more important of the twin protagonists. Neither appear in the first chapter, which I suggest you skip. Not only is it a prelude but also the viewpoint character is Planeswalker Oko. When ...more
Lesley
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great read. Interesting characters, great world with an interesting quest. It's equally interesting for people who don't play Magic the Gathering, as you don't have to know the backstory of the characters since... most of them... are new. Thought provoking and complex where it needed to be while staying firmly at a YA reading level. Even though it was YA in level, it will be enjoyable for any adult readers who enjoy fantasy. I am looking forward to the continuation and hope there is anoth ...more
Eddie Black
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I’m already a big fan of the multiverse of Magic the Gathering, and I was eagerly awaiting the new set and new world of Throne of Eldraine. I went into the book with a bit of positive expectancy. I’d never read any of Kate Elliott’s stuff before, but I may have to now. The book was fresh and innovative as much as it tied in some old collide tropes as the new MTG set is doing. Good pacing in the story. I was a little lost in some of the area descriptions, never getting a clear ...more
Tavon Gatling
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't too much care for the writing, but I can potentially blame that on just coming from works of Sanderson and other fantasy writers. The story itself was fine, though. My timelines are now messed up, as some of this seems to conflict with WAR, but no spoilers. (What I'm referring to happens at the very end of the book, last handful of pages.) I'm excited to see more of the twins later on, and more of the other two Planeswalkers featured here as well.
Matt Falber
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Would actually rate the a 3.5. I really enjoyed reading this and found the characters to be compelling. However, it felt rushed. There were typos in the book and I felt certain aspects weren't fleshed out enough. Having said that, it was my first foray into MTG literature and I'd read something else in this world again.
James R Morales
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wildered Quest

Great read especially before the release of the new Magic the Gathering set “Throne Of Eldraine”. Easy to understand and picture this quest. You can see yourself as part of the adventure. Highly recommend to Magic Fans and readers of fantasy alike.
Shawn Clauther
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A welcome addition to the Magic mythos

This author has done a good job of weaving a new short that still feels like it fits in the MTG universe. This book left me looking forward to be from these newest additions to the Multiverse.
Stuart Hodge
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good self contained magic lore

After the halfway-through-the-plot war of the spark movel, its nice to have a mostly self contained magic story. Oko is a cool new villain and its nice to see the hunter-whose identity is kinda obvious but is a bit of a spoiler- in action
James Mainiero
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but fun

A quick visit to Eldraine, that could have lingered a little longer. An interesting backstory to these Planeswalkers though and having Garruk part of it tied in the multiverse. Hopefully she will do more stories with Rowan, Will, Or Garruk.
Daniel
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is what I wanted from Wizards' decision to work with outside authors. The previous set's book was a let-down, but this one was excellent - good pacing and development, capturing the flavor of a Magic plane but keeping the story primary.
Gavin Mills
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The trailer for the card set looked like Magic the Gathering landed in Shrek's swamp. There is no sign of that in this book. This reads as a very straightforward young knights on a quest book. Not one animated gingerbread man in sight.
Anthony S Kuhns
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Elliott triumphs again!

After penning last year’s best (and most unexpected) Magic: The Gathering story, Kate Elliott returns with another fantastic entry in the MtG canon! Elliott’s character-based approach to exploring the MtG IP leads to fascinating and tantalizing glimpses into the complex worlds she is commissioned to populate. I would recommend this book to any Magic fan who wants to read a great story with compelling characters set in their favorite universe(s)!
Kyle Hayes
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun and light

A fun little companion piece for the card release. It makes playing the game a bit more flavorful and robust.
Tim Reilly
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful MTG book

A sweet little book that gives you enough time with all the planeswalkers. Feels very in tune with Magic’s world and systems. Loved all the Camelot-y adventure!
Christina Kempy
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly enjoyed this novel. I especially loved Garruk's storyline. The characters are well-written and the book has good pacing. Good for people who like MtG lore and are looking for a quick read.
Conrad Durlston-Powell
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid short story

A well written short story that is true enough to the mtg universe. And not by Greg Weisman (a plus!)
Tyler
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fun to read as a Magic the Gathering player, but otherwise shallow
Alan
Sep 07, 2019 added it
fnfngnnfE

proof
prof
l clock
Ccddf f2f exec f2f
Hugging T object Jen Mann nd dBm nd, buy um mg tv by um uhh. bff th if tv b by ebb baht the Greg McCarthy egg uhh
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely

Magic: The Gathering (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Arena (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Whispering Woods (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #1)
  • Shattered Chains (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #2)
  • Final Sacrifice (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #3)
  • The Cursed Land (Magic: The Gathering)
  • The Prodigal Sorcerer (Magic: The Gathering, #6)
  • Ashes of the Sun
  • Tapestries (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #1)
  • Distant Planes (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #2)
  • Song of Time (Magic: The Gathering)