Start by marking “Nothing Important Happened Today” as Want to Read:
Nothing Important Happened Today

Nothing Important Happened Today

When strangers take part in a series of group suicides, everything suggests that a cult is to blame. But how do you stop a cult when no one knows they are members? A shocking, mesmerisingly original and pitch-black thriller from the critically acclaimed Will Carver.

Nine suicides
One Cult
No leader

Nine people arrive one night on Chelsea Bridge. They’ve never met. But at the

Published November 2019 by Orenda Books

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Important Happened Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Important Happened Today

Start your review of Nothing Important Happened Today
Maureen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is evening on Chelsea Bridge. Everything seems normal. A commuter train pulls in to Victoria Station. The eyes of the passengers in two carriages are drawn to a row of people standing by the barrier at the side of the bridge. Screams ring out as simultaneously, they all jump over, and it is realised they all have nooses round their necks.

This is the opening, described collectively, by The People of Choice, as they become known throughout the world. Who and what are they? Why do they all want
Mark
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

# Because of the content/subject of the book which is suicide and at times quite graphic description of mass suicides I think its wise to say that this book would be upsetting if you have been affected by this and also tbh for some people if you haven’t been affected by it #

This book is unusual, unusual in content, writing style and presentation to any I have ever read
The book starts with a mass suicide on Chelsea Bridge and in its unique raw and shocking way it goes on via explicit description
Chelsea Humphrey
*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Sue
NOTHING IMPORTANT HAPPENED TODAY is a shocking absorbing original pitch-black thriller, from the critically commended author of Good Samaritans, Will Carver.

I was literally blown away with this book. I have never read anything like it before and I read a lot of crime, psychological, mystery thrillers. Go into this book blind. It will be so addictive you will be flipping the pages to see what is going to happen next.

The writing style is written in the third person and the collective first person.
Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤
OMG!! This book is INGENIOUS! Intricate, well-written and impossible to put down!! I LOVED IT. Be prepared for a hell of a ride!!

Trigger warning: SUICIDE.
Do not read if you feel unconfortable or have any issues regarding the subject-matter.

When strangers take part in a series of group suicides, everything suggests that a cult is to blame. How do you stop a cult when nobody knows they are a member?

Nine suicides
One Cult
No leader

Oh!! You are never going to guess the ending right! But try it!!
Eva
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy guacamole! What … the …. flipping … hell … was … this?!

And breathe.

Nothing important happened today. And even if it did, I wouldn’t remember because what little brain I have was blown to smithereens from reading Will Carver’s weird and wonderful new book. I don’t know what they put in his breakfast but it sure is providing us with the most exceptional and deliciously dark stories I’ve ever come across.

Nine strangers meet on Chelsea Bridge and jump to their deaths. Thirty-two people on a
Louise Beech
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like absolutely nothing else I have ever read. Pure genius.
Anne
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My head is broken! My words have disappeared. I honestly cannot stop thinking about this dark, twisted, powerfully told story, but I am struggling to explain why.
I've read a lot of books over the years and whilst reading this one I couldn't help but think of the only other author who made me feel this way. The story screams Kafka to me; there's that fusion of realism and fantasy, with the isolation of the nameless characters who form a cult, yet are totally separate from one another.

Yes! That's
Kate
This is an extremely original crime thriller but it does come with a warning - it's as dark as they come. But complementing its bleakness and, at times, devastating sadness is its wit and cunning. A fast and intense, memorable read. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Maria Meagher
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Will Carver I’ve read and ... wow. Totally different type of book, one that I expect will be the kind of book that will randomly pop into your mind even a couple of years from now. Great twists and turns, unique plot. The only aspect I wasn’t fully behind was the very graphic depictions of suicide, which were a little uncomfortable at times, but overall a great book.
Patricia
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I opened up the book and saw the dedication on the flyleaf to "Nobody," I laughed with much hilarity. I took it to mean the author was tired of the banal dedications that all authors do dedicating to wives, husbands, childrens, moms.

I saw this as screw it. Not dedicating to no one which made me laugh. But then I turned the page.

If you've ever read Will Carver, you know he's a master at storytelling. But this book was written by a genius. A genius that sees and feels everyone he passes by.
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
‘WISDOM IS THE REWARD YOU GET FOR A LIFETIME OF LISTENING WHEN YOU WOULD HAVE PREFERRED TO TALK’.

Right, so, how on earth can I write a review for Nothing Important Happened Today that’s going to make any sense at all because it BLEW MY MIND! I guess I’ll just start typing and see how it goes…

Nine suicides. One cult. No leader.

Crikey Will,
Kelly Van Damme
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right. Here we go again. I swear to all the gods, reviewing a Will Carver book is the worst thing! Where does one even start?! Hell if I know! Part of me wants to just read his stories back to back and skip any kind of review because I might not be a baby blogger anymore but I’m still not equipped to deal with this kind of literary madness! But then there’s that pesky other part of me that wants to make sure everyone knows how utterly brilliant his stories are and that they must be read *sigh*

So
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

They are the ‘People of Choice‘. Nine strangers, who in a coordinated jump, leap to their death from off Chelsea Bridge. None of them wants to die, they want to live but die, at their own hands they do. Unknowingly they are part of a cult, a movement and by jumping they become part of something.

The morning before they jump they all receive the exact same letter. The only thing that
Joanne Robertson
My first thought when I started reading Nothing Important Happened Today was “What the actual ****?!” and my last thought when I finished Nothing Important Happened Today was “What the actual ****?!” but in between those two thoughts was one of the most shockingly original and relevant books that I have ever read in my entire life! And I just can’t get this damned book out of my head! I knew it was going to be impossible to write any sort of understandable review but if there’s so much filling ...more
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Just give me a minute, I need to pick my jaw off the floor before I write this review.

Nothing Important Happened Today is one of the most original, shocking and compelling novels I’ve read this year!

The whole story centres around cults and how nine, seemingly normal, people would throw themselves off a bridge. The story is told from multiple perspectives, interwoven with a very angry and bitter narrator whose voice is just so authentic, it almost felt like he was talking directly to me.

I’ve
Amy Bruno
"The drawback of a successful suicide cult is the constant recruitement."

Nothing Important Happened Today is quite possibly the most unique book I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Carver is a flippin' genius for coming up with the premise and he executes it brilliantly.

Nine strangers appear on Chelsea Bridge one day, each holding a bag with a rope and suicide note. They don't speak but at the same time, they leap to their deaths in front of 32 witnesses. The strangers are part of a cult
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Compelling and engaging, I couldn’t put it down!
Emma Shaw
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****TRIGGER WARNING****

This book deals with suicide and mental health and if you struggle with those things I would advise caution in reading this book. Both are subjects I can find triggering but all I knew was that it started with the nine suicides. I didn’t expect it to delve so deeply and darkly into both subject and I really struggled with reading it, having to take lots of breaks. In all honesty, I would have quit reading if I hadn’t been reading it for a blog tour spot that was just days
Kath
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Good Samaritans when I read it last year so I was really looking forward to seeing what the author would serve up this time. And I have to say that I am completely Gobsmacked. I finished this book a week or so ago and am still trying to find more words that just GENIUS to describe what I read.
But genius is really is. It is like NOTHING I have ever read before and I read north of 300 books a year. As well as being a cracking story I learned an awful lot about cults, cult mentality and
Sally Boocock
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real humdinger of a book. Very very dark with an ending I didnt expect.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
We are The People of Choice
The ones now with courage
And we choose not to fear
This is one solution
It is not the end
Nor is it the beginning
There are always more who choose to live
There is but one certainty

Nothing Important Happened Today is the latest release from Will Carver, a writer that I am beginning to understand has a slightly alternative approach to his stories. Published with Orenda Books on November 14th (now available in digital format) the praise is steadily rolling in for this book,
Tripfiction
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel of cults set mainly in LONDON

I have no idea what genre this book is. It is fiction but it is also an exploration of the notion of what it means to be in a cult, to lead a cult and what lies at the heart of mass inculcation and obedience, with or without leadership. The book can also be in part a treatise on the notion of group behaviour and the power that one individual exerts over others. How does mass indoctrination work?

Yes, it does deal with the serious issue of suicide, mass suicide
Brenda Davies
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Original. Astonishing. Compelling. Shocking. Disturbing. And I don't know what to write to do this book justice. I loved it, the best book I've read this year, last year, for many years.
The blurb gives the outline. Nine people arrive one night on Chelsea Bridge. They’ve never met. But at the same time, they run, and leap to their deaths. Each of them received a letter in the post that morning, a pre-written suicide note, and a page containing only four words: Nothing important happened
Claire Stibbe
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saying 'you never really know what goes on behind closed doors' is true in the case of Nothing Important Happened Today by Will Carver. Because something very important did happen to 9 people, nine very unsuspecting, seemingly unhappy people but with one thing in common. A drive to end it all and in a way that will shock thousands.

What really happened forced me out one rainy day to a coffee shop, where I could read this book in the safety of a crowded room. To say the writing style is
Monica Mac
I have absolutely no idea how to categorise this book, none whatsoever! It was a surprisingly addictive read, although it didn't read anything like I expected it to.

**If swearing bothers you and/or talk of suicide is triggering, I would suggest you steer clear of this book**

There are people who jump off a bridge, nine of them, in fact. This is how it starts. They were all told to do it, and how to do it and off they went. They are part of The People of Choice, although unlike other cults, they
Don Jimmy
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Carver is back with new standalone novel Nothing Important Happened Today and after the huge success of Good Samaritans (My Review) I couldn’t wait to jump in. Strap in, this one is a bumpy ride.

When I finished Nothing Important Happened Today I had one thought and one thought only – WHAT DID I JUST READ?

I must admit, I didn’t even read the blurb before I read this book. There are two main reasons for this;
1. It’s Will Carver! I loved Good Samaritans so yeah, I’m interested.
2. The
Clair Sharpe
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most shocking opening to a book I think I have ever read! 9 people arrive on Chelsea Bridge in London at rush hour. They have never met, but together they each tie a rope around their necks and leap to their deaths. Each person received a letter in the post that morning, a pre-written suicide note, and a page containing only 4 words: Nothing important happened today.
This letter is how they knew they had been chosen to become part of The People of Choice: a mysterious suicide cult.
32 people
Lel Budge
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-cater
I usually write my reviews immediately after finishing a book, but for this ? Nope, I had to leave it while my brain could catch up. I’ve never read anything that’s had such a visceral reaction……

It is the story of suicide, that starts with 9, very different people, jumping off Chelsea bridge, with nooses round their necks…..each given a number, not a name…..what would make them do this? Who are The People of Choice?

Is this a cult?

Told from several perspectives, in a way that gives you an insight
Diane Merritt
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something great to read and wasn't disappointed. Wow what a book!! Won't be the last from this author.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Violet
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Búrið
  • Little Siberia
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Ghoster
  • The Family
  • Killer Motive
  • The Closer I Get
  • The Lost Ones
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • Through the Wall
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • The Last Stage
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • Lake Child
  • In The Deep (Detective Kelly Moore #2)