Start by marking “Nothing Important Happened Today” as Want to Read:
Nothing Important Happened Today

Nothing Important Happened Today

When strangers take part in a series of group suicides, everything suggests that a cult is to blame. How do you stop a cult when nobody knows they are a member?

Nine suicides
One Cult
No leader

Nine people arrive one night on Chelsea Bridge. They’ve never met. But at the same time, they run, and leap to their deaths. Each of them received a letter in

Published September 14th 2019 by ORENDA BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Important Happened Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Important Happened Today

Start your review of Nothing Important Happened Today
Maureen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is evening on Chelsea Bridge. Everything seems normal. A commuter train pulls in to Victoria Station. The eyes of the passengers in two carriages are drawn to a row of people standing by the barrier at the side of the bridge. Screams ring out as simultaneously, they all jump over, and it is realised they all have nooses round their necks.

This is the opening, described collectively, by The People of Choice, as they become known throughout the world. Who and what are they? Why do th
Mark
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

# Because of the content/subject of the book which is suicide and at times quite graphic description of mass suicides I think its wise to say that this book would be upsetting if you have been affected by this and also tbh for some people if you haven’t been affected by it #

This book is unusual, unusual in content, writing style and presentation to any I have ever read
The book starts with a mass suicide on Chelsea Bridge and in its unique raw and shocking way it goes on via exp
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Sue
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NOTHING IMPORTANT HAPPENED TODAY is a shocking absorbing original pitch-black thriller, from the critically commended author of Good Samaritans, Will Carver.

I was literally blown away with this book. I have never read anything like it before and I read a lot of crime, psychological, mystery thrillers. Go into this book blind. It will be so addictive you will be flipping the pages to see what is going to happen next.

The writing style is written in the third person and the
Eva
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy guacamole! What … the …. flipping … hell … was … this?! 🤯

And breathe.

Nothing important happened today. And even if it did, I wouldn’t remember because what little brain I have was blown to smithereens from reading Will Carver’s weird and wonderful new book. I don’t know what they put in his breakfast but it sure is providing us with the most exceptional and deliciously dark stories I’ve ever come across.

Nine strangers meet on Chelsea Bridge and jump to their deaths.
Louise Beech
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like absolutely nothing else I have ever read. Pure genius.
Anne
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My head is broken! My words have disappeared. I honestly cannot stop thinking about this dark, twisted, powerfully told story, but I am struggling to explain why.
I've read a lot of books over the years and whilst reading this one I couldn't help but think of the only other author who made me feel this way. The story screams Kafka to me; there's that fusion of realism and fantasy, with the isolation of the nameless characters who form a cult, yet are totally separate from one another.
Maria Meagher
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Will Carver I’ve read and ... wow. Totally different type of book, one that I expect will be the kind of book that will randomly pop into your mind even a couple of years from now. Great twists and turns, unique plot. The only aspect I wasn’t fully behind was the very graphic depictions of suicide, which were a little uncomfortable at times, but overall a great book.
Patricia
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I opened up the book and saw the dedication on the flyleaf to "Nobody," I laughed with much hilarity. I took it to mean the author was tired of the banal dedications that all authors do dedicating to wives, husbands, childrens, moms.

I saw this as screw it. Not dedicating to no one which made me laugh. But then I turned the page.

If you've ever read Will Carver, you know he's a master at storytelling. But this book was written by a genius. A genius that sees and feels everyone he
Kate
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an extremely original crime thriller but it does come with a warning - it's as dark as they come. But complementing its bleakness and, at times, devastating sadness is its wit and cunning. A fast and intense, memorable read. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Kelly Van Damme
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right. Here we go again. I swear to all the gods, reviewing a Will Carver book is the worst thing! Where does one even start?! Hell if I know! Part of me wants to just read his stories back to back and skip any kind of review because I might not be a baby blogger anymore but I’m still not equipped to deal with this kind of literary madness! But then there’s that pesky other part of me that wants to make sure everyone knows how utterly brilliant his stories are and that they must be read *sigh* ...more
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just give me a minute, I need to pick my jaw off the floor before I write this review.

Nothing Important Happened Today is one of the most original, shocking and compelling novels I’ve read this year!

The whole story centres around cults and how nine, seemingly normal, people would throw themselves off a bridge. The story is told from multiple perspectives, interwoven with a very angry and bitter narrator whose voice is just so authentic, it almost felt like he was talking directly to
Amy Bruno
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The drawback of a successful suicide cult is the constant recruitement."

Nothing Important Happened Today is quite possibly the most unique book I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Carver is a flippin' genius for coming up with the premise and he executes it brilliantly.

Nine strangers appear on Chelsea Bridge one day, each holding a bag with a rope and suicide note. They don't speak but at the same time, they leap to their deaths in front of 32 witnesses. The strangers
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Compelling and engaging, I couldn’t put it down!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

They are the ‘People of Choice‘. Nine strangers, who in a coordinated jump, leap to their death from off Chelsea Bridge. None of them wants to die, they want to live but die, at their own hands they do. Unknowingly they are part of a cult, a movement and by jumping they become part of something.

The morning before they jump they all receive the exact same letter. The only thing that ties them all toget
Kath
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Good Samaritans when I read it last year so I was really looking forward to seeing what the author would serve up this time. And I have to say that I am completely Gobsmacked. I finished this book a week or so ago and am still trying to find more words that just GENIUS to describe what I read.
But genius is really is. It is like NOTHING I have ever read before and I read north of 300 books a year. As well as being a cracking story I learned an awful lot about cults, cult mentality a
Sally Boocock
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A real humdinger of a book. Very very dark with an ending I didnt expect.
Claire Stibbe
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The saying 'you never really know what goes on behind closed doors' is true in the case of Nothing Important Happened Today by Will Carver. Because something very important did happen to 9 people, nine very unsuspecting, seemingly unhappy people but with one thing in common. A drive to end it all and in a way that will shock thousands.

What really happened forced me out one rainy day to a coffee shop, where I could read this book in the safety of a crowded room. To say the writing sty
Monica Mac
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I have absolutely no idea how to categorise this book, none whatsoever! It was a surprisingly addictive read, although it didn't read anything like I expected it to.

**If swearing bothers you and/or talk of suicide is triggering, I would suggest you steer clear of this book**

There are people who jump off a bridge, nine of them, in fact. This is how it starts. They were all told to do it, and how to do it and off they went. They are part of The People of Choice, although unlike other
Lel Budge
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-cater
I usually write my reviews immediately after finishing a book, but for this ? Nope, I had to leave it while my brain could catch up. I’ve never read anything that’s had such a visceral reaction……

It is the story of suicide, that starts with 9, very different people, jumping off Chelsea bridge, with nooses round their necks…..each given a number, not a name…..what would make them do this? Who are The People of Choice?

Is this a cult?

Told from several perspectives
Diane Merritt
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for something great to read and wasn't disappointed. Wow what a book!! Won't be the last from this author.
jhanami
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly original, intriguing and at times really quite profound - with wonderful characterisations and insightful observations, and some shocking turns.
It dragged a little in places, with certain parts being a little repetitive, and it took all my will power not to skip ahead - I still feel I’ve read something I haven’t read before. Great effort!
Meggy
Oct 03, 2019 added it
Review to come when my brain can work again...!!!!
Lindsay
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Wow I was blown away with this book. It does take a little while to get use to the writing style as it flips between the third party and the serial killer but once you get your head around it’s an fascinating read about a suicide cult where multiple strangers are all joining together to all commit suicide. Why are all these strangers joining together and ending their own lives and what is the link that joins them all together. I was actually quite sad when I reached the end of the book.
Ellen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading Good Samaritans I announced that Will Carver was a dark genius, on finishing Nothing Important Happened Today this thought was increased tenfold along with WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK HAVE I JUST READ AND HOW DO I REVIEW IT!!??

Nine people arrive one night on Chelsea Bridge all carrying matching backpacks with specific matching ropes inside. They’ve never met but they run and leap to their deaths. Every one of them received a letter in the post that morning, a pre-written suici
Sue Frances
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knowsley-library
I would give this book more stars if I could. I've never read anything like it before. My first book by Will Carver but definitely not my last!
Karen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just, wow ...
Dark. So very dark, but also brilliant and mind-melting. I honestly don't know what else to say about it! But I definitely need to read a rom-com or at least something a touch lighter next!
Steve
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another classic from Will Carver. Really need to read some fairy tales after finishing this.
Lesley
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from Will Carver a must read for any crime thriller enthusiast. I have loved all his book but this is a true masterpiece.
Jen
Okay. So. Here we go. Hardest review I have had to write in a long time. Why? Well let’s just pause a moment and re-read that blurb. I know. You are in a hurry to hear my (probably not very lucid) thoughts on the book, but this is important. You don't need to read all of it. Just the beginning. First three lines should do you.

Have you read it? Good.

As you can probably guess, this book is not full of the warm and fuzzies. Not even just the fuzzies unless you have employed
« previous 1 3 next »

• Violet
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Búrið
  • Little Siberia
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Ghoster
  • The Family
  • Killer Motive
  • The Closer I Get
  • The Lost Ones
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • Through the Wall
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • The Last Stage
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • Lake Child
  • In The Deep (Detective Kelly Moore #2)