Start by marking “The Mountains of Paris: How Awe and Wonder Rewrote My Life” as Want to Read:
The Mountains of Paris: How Awe and Wonder Rewrote My Life

The Mountains of Paris: How Awe and Wonder Rewrote My Life

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  2 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Living in Paris for a winter and a spring and waking each morning to a view of Notre Dame, David Oates is led to revise his life story from one of trudging and occasional woe into one punctuated by nourishing and sometimes unsettling brilliance. He asks: What is the meaning of this tremendousness?

In long years of mountaineering Oates fought the self-loathing that had
Published October 1st 2019 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mountains of Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountains of Paris

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of The Mountains of Paris: How Awe and Wonder Rewrote My Life
Heather Durham
This book caught me off guard. I don’t know what I expected, perhaps a little nature writing, perhaps some cultural commentary, a bit about art and music. And then BAM, right to the heart, right to the capital T Truth of why awe and wonder, art and beauty are not only important, but essential to our humanity. Not why in a preachy sort of way, but through expertly crafted personal essays dripping with gems of insight such that I kept my highlighter handy and used it often. I may not have been to ...more
Kate Kaufmann
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very beginning of The Mountains of Paris you can tell Oates is in love with words. But he’s no show-off. Instead, he caresses his words and crafts them into perfect sentences that convey just what the reader needs to feel close, engaged, and in good hands. Sandwiching his coming of age story between musings of his grownup self, Oates’s persona reveals slowly, like an ever-deepening friendship.

Music—whether made by his hands or absorbed into his psyche when played by others—creates the
Jeff