Start by marking “Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982” as Want to Read:
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

Kim Ji-young is the most common name for Korean women born in the 1980s.
Kim Ji-young is representative of her generation:

At home, she is an unfavoured sister to her princeling little brother.
In primary school, she is a girl who has to line up behind the boys at lunchtime.
In high school, she is a daughter whose father blames her for being harassed late at night.
In
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Anansi International (first published October 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

Start your review of Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982
Meike
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: korea, 2019-read
This novella hit a nerve in South Korea and became one of the biggest-selling books of the new century. In it, Cho Nam-Joo tells the story of a Korean everywoman from her birth in 1982 until 2016, the year the book was published in its original Korean. Kim Ji-young experiences systemic misogyny in all stages of life, be it as a kid in her own family, in school and at university, in the workplace and also as a wife and mother. The protagonist does not only suffer because of stereotypical ...more
Pearl Ju
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-novels
If you are a woman living in Korea, I recommend reading this book in your room alone with tissues because I am positive at least once you will show tears with sympathy. Due to unconscious sexual discrimination, women bear their own wounds in their memories. Although in Korean history, women work for a living, they were treated as a person who only did housework and men weren't willing to help any housework. It well describes the ordinary women's lives under the male-dominated society.
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Simon and Schuster UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this one.

Kim Ji-Young, Born 1982 is a 2016 Korean novel, now translated into English (besides other languages). This hard-hitting novel has sold over a million copies, and was also adapted into a film that released in October this year. The book traces the story of Kim Ji-Young, the title character, from the year she was born, 1982, to 2016 highlighting the sexism, discrimination and injustice she faces at every stage of her
Emer (A Little Haze)
Kim Jiyoung is a girl born to a mother whose in-laws wanted a boy.

Kim Jiyoung is a sister made to share a room while her brother gets one of his own.

Kim Jiyoung is a female preyed upon by male teachers at school. Kim Jiyoung is a daughter whose father blames her when she is harassed late at night.

Kim Jiyoung is a good student who doesn’t get put forward for internships. Kim Jiyoung is a model employee but gets overlooked for promotion. Kim Jiyoung is a wife who gives up her career and
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 follows the Korean woman of the title from her birth until the present day. We're introduced to Jiyoung in the present day where, at 33, she's hospitalised after having a breakdown, and the author then recounts her life story which gives us the background and context as to how this has happened.

Cho Nam-Joo gives readers a heck of a lot of examples of incidents of institutionalised sexism and misogyny which have cumulatively impacted so greatly on Jiyoung and her psyche -
Paul Fulcher
She said she’ll never forget how proud she felt when she presented a bouquet of flowers as a welcome-back present to one of her subordinates, who returned from a year-long childcare leave for the first time in the company’s history.

‘Who is she?’ Jiyoung asked.

‘She left a few months after that.’

82년생 김지영 by 조남주published in 2016, was, and indeed still is, a publishing sensation in Korea, selling over a million copies, the first novel to do so since 엄마를 부탁해 (tr. Please Take Care of Mom), and
Tom Mooney
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a biting feminist satire that basically caused a national incident upon publication in South Korea, where it has sold well in excess of 1 million copies.

While it is provocative and brave, it's not as shocking as you may imagine and is far subtler than many western attempts at tackling the issue of women's changing place in society. While there are some pretty vile male characters in the book, Cho Nam-Joo shows us that misogyny is a stain on both sexes; it's something that causes everyone
Rose
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hanguk
Finished my very first novel completely in Korean! Definitely didn't understand every single word in the book, but the writing style was simple and straightforward enough that I could get by using context. (I'm probably going to go back and go through some of the parts that I didn't understand).

Lots of different emotions while reading this:
surprise when I recognized some of 김지영's experiences as my own/my mom's
anger at the number of times 김지영 was marginalized by her own family
frustration/sadness
zaheerah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the eyes of her therapist, we follow the life of Kim Jiyoung as she experiences everyday sexism all from birth, youth and into her adulthood where she becomes a stay-at-home mother, and begins to unravel under pressure.

Kim Jiyoung first came to my attention last year when a member of K-pop group Red Velvet, Irene, had recommended this book during a fan signing. I still remember the aftermath where many of her male fans cursed her, insulted her and even burnt pictures of her. Back then, a
Sooyoun
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Main character of this book is one year younger than me. And I am born and raise in Korea, that means a lot of her experience is very similar with my own.
When I was young, I was young and naive like every other single human being so I didn’t even realize how many things are unfair even cruel.

When I was growing up my grandmother used to tell me all the time whenever I made small mistakes “ How can you be this clumsy even you are woman???”- and of course my younger brother never hear it.
Always I
Sandra Bianca
Rate: 4.5*
Full review: https://biancatwinbee.blogspot.com/20...

One of best(s) book this year.....
Rachmi
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm not familiar with story by South Korea author, before Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 I only read one book by South Korean, The Vegetarian by Han Kang. So I don't have high expectations for this book, despite I love The Vegetarian and so excited to read this one mainly because it caused huge commotion in its country. I'm curious.

Indonesia is also a patriarchy country, just like South Korea and maybe most of the countries in the world. But I thought here isn't that bad. I couldn't be more wrong.

I
Michelle
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim Jiyoung, born 1982 is not the usual book that I read but, I was surprised of its content.
The story tells of her birth to present day of a 33-year-old woman living in a Korea. How society belittle the female gender and treated men as the better, class even if the women the more intelligent one. From how the girls ate and clothed to how they treated when they went entered the workforce.
I found this quite fascinating as I didn’t know much of the Korean way of life. Their life reminds me of a
Chris Choy
The book itself is just a list of injustices that females face in the Korean society throughout the life of a fictional character. As the book is simply a list of events with little to no connections between them, I'm giving three stars and it is quite shallow. Rather, this book has a value as a whistleblower and I think all Korean male should probably read this to get to familiarize themselves with what injustices females face in their lives.

I really like this types of books that challenge the
Jeff
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fiction, but anyone familiar with Korean society should recognize it as the actual lived experience of most Korean women. If you're already familiar with Korea (which should be most readers, since it's written in Korean), you'll find yourself saying "Yep..." a lot. The writing is pretty straightforward, however, and so I recommend it for intermediate to advanced level non-native speakers who want to understand Korean society better.
Ron S
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short, brutal look at everyday misogyny in South Korea. I'd like to think "it's not like that here" (Canada) but fear my gender might have rendered me every bit as oblivious as the men portrayed in this incendiary novel.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is part novel, part autobiography or rather it feels that way as you read it, yes it’s fiction but it feels like you are reading someone’s life story, a wonderful insight into Korea and women’s lives in Korea, as a woman I found it difficult to read without getting angry, watching her worn down and losing her identity, but this happens everyday all over the world, it’s just more prevalent in some countries than others but it exists and happens everywhere. A fascinating and insightful read ...more
Nashi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so important. I'm glad it's a bestseller here and I really hope we soon see it published in English and other languages.
Contextually relevant to the situation of women in S.Korea, in the end it transcends cultures and shows what every woman goes through regardless of her nationality. The writing style is simple but poignant. The story it tells is overwhelmingly sad. All the stars to 82년생 김지영.
z4z4z4 z4
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hit me so hard. It is true people tend to judge someone just by see them for 1 sec. They don't even know what life someone have been through. This book talks about feminism and all women stigma in South Korea. When women should sacrified their life, their young age to work for their brother's good life. I never realized that the fact women should do something like that. Most of daughter in a family don't get equal affection as their brother. A son is like a precious child in a family. ...more
Chrys
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and succinct, this is a must read. Kim Jiyoung symbolises all Korean women, looking at the restraints and restrictions that are placed on their lives. In the time of Me Too, it's fascinating to see how women in other cultures are treated. An eponymous hero, Kim Jiyoung is immensely relatable and likeable.
Shanya Putri Siahaan
Watched the film adaptation a week ago.

This is a must read book for everyone. Smash the patriarchy!
Clara Park
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-2020-reads
4.5
One of few times that I would recommend the movie remake of over the actual book. When broaching upon underlying social issues (like traditional gender norms), sometimes subtlety is key (letting the reader observe and make their own judgement without imposing a view onto them).
The movie remake does exactly this. There were some lines in the book that I would rephrase but overall, the text captured what it means to be a women in Korea. This is the story of my mother, grandmother, aunts, and
Edtin Ramasari
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone often says the joys of motherhood but how often does one lose her self in the process? This novel tells the story of a girl then turned into a woman and the society she lives in. It's a smooth reading book with a story that anyone of us have heard of or us, women experienced in real life. Marking this book as a feminist material may triggers negative responses but putting anything aside, this is just a story of how things still are for women esp in patriarchal country like Korea.
Em__Jay
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in South Korea, KIM JIYOUNG, BORN 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo, really paints a vivid picture of the myriad struggles women face simply because of their gender. The plight of women living in a male-dominated society will likely not be a surprise to many women readers, irrespective of where they live, but this fictionalised format still made me want to rage with anger and sadness. I was both infuriated and discouraged.

The fictional narrative is supported with references from official reports and
Jiyeon Oh
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living as a woman, or in general, a woman in my country, South Korea, is not an easy job just how it is in other countries, too. The tacit expressions and words people show towards women are sometimes quite harsh. Through this book, you can see how and what the most of the women have gone through in mu country, and figure out the problems of the society that we live in and trust.

This book shows the reality very well with the uncommon setting. This book is not a autobiography that the character
Neena
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frustrating, honest and brilliant.

Starting with Kim Jiyoung being in a hospital at the age of 33, we are told the story of her life growing up in Korea, from a young age, through school, university, her first job and into motherhood. As we hear about her life, we learn about the society that literally breeds a sexist culture. You see how women’s thoughts and opinions are suppressed and disregarded and how all this has led to her hospitalisation. I mean, it’s a book of fiction, but it could
Charlotte
"Kim Jiyoung is thirty-three years old, thirty-four Korean age. She got married three years ago and had a daughter last year. She rents a small apartment on the outskirts of Seoul with her husband Jung Daehyan, thirty-six, and daughter Jung Jiwon." Kim Jiyoung is every Korean woman; she represents the experiences of generations- overlooked, undervalued and downtrodden. In a society where: female babies are a disappointment; brothers are fed first; provided a superior education; given their own ...more
Zsófia Andrássy
3,5 *
I liked most of this book. I really enjoyed reading about what it's like to grow up a woman in South Korea - as much as you can enjoy reading about a system that is so sexist towards women. This book is a great reminder that feminism is not real feminism if it is not intersectional and that we still have a lot to go to raise up women in every country.
But even though I greatly enjoyed the parts in this book that take place in the characters past, and seeing how she grows up and what things
Raven
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read this book with an increasing sense of disbelief and anger, as Nam-Joo charts the life and experiences of Kim Yijoung, an ordinary woman of South Korea, struggling to exist in a hugely paternalistic and belittling society. Little wonder that this book has been such a touchstone in South Korea for women since its publication in 2016. Working as a mirror to society, the ordinariness of Kim’s existence from childhood to womanhood is delineated by the instances of sexism, chauvinism and ...more
Suzanne
A story of sexism and discrimination in Korean society. The short book follows a fictional female character from birth to motherhood highlighting issues faced by modern women in South Korea. It’s a quick and interesting read, and an insight into culture and society there.

I would have preferred it more if it were a real life account I think. It was detached in the narrative, and I found the beginning and ending of the book quite strange. I didn’t understand the reasoning behind the type of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• ปีแสง
  • 福も来た パンとスープとネコ日和
  • YOU SADLY SMILE IN THE PROFILE PICTURE
  • Hai, Miiko! 32
  • Las hijas de la tierra
  • Mencari Simetri
  • Guru Aini
  • Jingga Jenaka
  • Tukar Takdir
  • ときどき旅に出るカフェ
  • Besok Kita Belum Tentu Saling Mengingat
Korean profile: 조남주
“La madre de Kim Ji-young fue sola a abortar. En modo alguno era su decisión, pero de cualquier modo era su responsabilidad. Y a su lado no había nadie para consolarla. Mientras aullaba como un animal que hubiera perdido a su cría ante una fiera, la ginecóloga le acarició las manos y le dijo: «Lo siento». Solo eso impidió que se volviera loca allí mismo.” 1 likes
“Claramente se arrepentía de lo que había hecho con su vida, de su condición de madre. Kim Ji-young imaginó una piedra pequeña pero pesada y dura que retenía la larga falda de su madre, y se sintió triste al identificarse con esa piedra. Su madre, percatándose de ello, acarició con ternura su cabello despeinado.” 1 likes