Start by marking “The Goetia with Additional Annotations by Aleister Crowley & G. J. Yorke: Together with Unpublished Papers & Art by Leah Hirsig & Aleister Crowley” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Goetia with Additi...

Aleister Crowley

The Goetia with Additional Annotations by Aleister Crowley & G. J. Yorke: Together with Unpublished Papers & Art by Leah Hirsig & Aleister Crowley (The Lesser Key of Solomon #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,262 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Provides a clear and detailed account of the preparations and precautions necessary for the successful evocation of its 72 spirits, which are described in detail. Includes Crowley's "An Initiated Interpretation of Ceremonial Magic," his version of "The Bornless Ritual," Enochian translations of some of the Goetic invocations, an introduction, and notes. Illustrated. Smythe ...more
Hardcover
Published July 1st 1992 by Holmes Publishing Group (first published 1600)

Patrick Sprunger
My take away from the Goetia is how similar the language of the conjuring rites is in style and form to modern legal petitions or complaints.

"Comes now the magician 'M,' by the authority of (insert obscure name for God), and does command spirit 'N' to appear in tangible form and answer rationally all reasonable questions asked in order to accomplish 'X.'

I guess the answer is that the same guys who imported the text into English society were basically from the same strata as the magistrates and
Ayam Abraxas
This book is an examination of the spirits of the Goetia, which are used at the Magician's discretion for whichever purposes he may employ. The character traits and appearances of the spirits are given, as well as the ceremony and temple space required for the operation. This is a book of practical magick, which can be used alongside 777. Caution is to be given however, as any operation of magick that is not focused at the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel is an act of black ...more
David
Feb 22, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eccentric owners of barren coffee tables
Shelves: back-shelf
Anybody with enough time to read book reviews on the web is simply not devoted enough to this system of magick. Why are you wasting your life time with work, friends, and family when there is so much other-worldly lion taming to do? Get cracking young magicians.
Seriously, this is only fun for serious occult scholars and those that find the pictures cool. I'm willing to bet it is the latter category that keeps this in print. If you know anyone who is wasting serious time trying to make this stuff
Yomna hosny
This makes an excellent introduction to demonology because it plunges you right into the technicalities without all the extended introductions and context. sometime what you need is to get a feel for what something really is and not the author's perception of it. and that's what the lemegeton does.
Lindsey
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of a couple goetia - lesser keys I have read, only this one includes "illustrations" by Crowley. I wished someone had not convinced him that he could draw. Aside from this, the information is similar to the other versions, equally as useful.
Leon Sandler
A complete sourcebook of Goetic material, with a good introduction by H.B. However, it's largely impractical, and not so accessible as Lon Milo DuQuette's work on the subject
Yolanda Sfetsos
I just finished writing the first draft of a novel that leans heavily on demonology, so reading this book has been very helpful.

The descriptions and seals contain enough detail. The invocation instructions are handy. It's all very interesting. And the individual descriptions of the 72 spirits of the Goetia is great.

I find this book fascinating, and the way it fuels my creativity is fantastic. It's amazing how many things mentioned in this book happen to fit perfectly with what I've already writt
Anjani
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a blessing, never a curse. A who's who and what what, of Desireland, trailed on by a Certain dead adepts hand. Caution still... Can lead the magician away from conclusion and into confusion if not tyled properly. My review & recommendation is, If you happen upon here, pause, pay close attention. The deal is in the details. My little experience has shown me that the mind chit and the prakritti matter react with Metta. Remember, success depends on if you follow through with said deal.
Kainé Jaye
An interesting read, but one that will need read several times over for better understanding. Not a book for anyone other than those who wish to learn more about the invocation and evocation of the 72 Goetic demons.
Florin
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now all i need is a virgin rooster and a lot of golden artifacts ^_^
Belart Wright
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I, like many, purchased this for some insight into demonology in order to make my own stories more--what's the word--authentic. I expected some bios about the various 72 demons and their abilities, but what I didn't expect was to glimpse what may now be the most imitated work in fiction today. I think only Lovecraft and Tolkien have single-handedly had more effect on the broad spectrum of fiction overall. I'm still a novice when it comes to history and even this book is a derivative of
Sal Coraccio
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarot
Note that this isn't the full Lesser Key of Solomon A.K.A. the Lemegeton compiled in the 17th century (or earlier) - this is a section of it; the first book, translated by S.L. MacGregor Mathers (8 or 11 January 1854 – 5 or 20 November 1918) and published by Aleister Crowley (12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947) in the early 1900's. And, there are at least some parts that refer to A. E. Waite, which is interesting for the Tarot enthusiast (he'd made his own try at a version as well, apparently). T ...more
Tony
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essentially a grimoire of spirits controlled by Solomon the King. Also includes detailed descriptions of the incantations, materials and symbols for summoning the spirits.
Jediraven
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit heavy for me, and very confusing to follow. I started reading this and the Key of Solomon knowing that I wouldn't be able to follow it because I am very inexperienced, but I thought I would read it anyway.
And it seems terribly difficult to perform some of these rituals. I still found it extremely fascinating to read. I enjoy reading things like this so I can stick it to the Christians. I'm definitely not planning on forming any of these Enochian summonings anytime soon, but it was still co
K. Carters
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book for research for my latest project. It's very useful at identifying a list of daemons and their traits plus the sketches are really cool too. The magick aspect is a little too complex for a casual scholar and so I tended to skip page after page of tables and complex information that requires a greater understanding of the topic. I think I will look again in a few years and maybe add that extra 1 star...
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
I have always enjoyed this particular edition. Maybe it is just Magickal Childe and how they published their stuff don't know. Though it isn't as useful as Joseph Peterson's "The lesser Key of Solomon" so it doesn't get used as much as it used to before it came out.
Michael
Interesting grimoire, though long winded at times due to repetitive nature of many incantations. While the incantations were supposedly written by Solomon, many are explicitly Christian insofar as frequent mention of Christ and the Trinity.
Nikki Ashendorf
Sep 12, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I will ever practice this sort of magick, but it facinates me non the less. I haven't read it through, but I pick it up from time to time.
inoel
Oct 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never thought this kind of book could be published freely. I'm not an occult guy or an demonology expert wannabe, but i just enjoy reading this book~ it helps me to emerge my imagination~
Michael Herrman
Jungian psychotherapy is far more practical.
My Pseudonym
Informative.
Valora
To be used purely for reference and NO DEMON SUMMONING. That is all.
Brooke
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly feud between MM and Crowley is entertaining at first, then becomes old.
Winston Willis
Very interesting read if you are into history and magical mystery schools.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
I love this edition of the Lesser Key. It is pretty much my main edition that I use at this point, and I have a crazy number of editions.
Tiger
It's an okay read. I mainly only bought it because I still like Demonology.
Gene Shagal
Jun 24, 2012
Sheikh Tajamul
Nov 29, 2015
  • Gems from the Equinox
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley, was a British occultist, writer, mountaineer, philosopher, poet, and mystic. He was an influential member in several occult organizations, including the Golden Dawn, the A∴A∴, and Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.), and is best known today for his occult writings, especially The Book of the Law , the central sacred text of Thelema. He gained much notori ...more
More about Aleister Crowley...

“This being true for the ordinary Universe, that all sense-impressions are
dependent on changes in the brain we must include illusions, which are after all
sense-impressions as much as “realities” are, in the class of “phenomena dependent
on brain-changes.”