Start by marking “Krabat” as Want to Read:
Krabat

Krabat

Krabat - das ist ein 14jähriger Waisenjunge, im Großraum Lausitz/Dresden, im 17.Jahrhundert, der ein Bettlerleben führt. Eines Tages sucht er sein Glück bei einem Müllermeister, der ihn zu sich lockt und als Geselle anstellt. Sofort stellt sich heraus, dass mehr hinter dem "Meister" stecken muss. Dunkle Magie, Intrigen, Täuschungen, Vertrauen, Freundschaft, Rache und ja, ...more
Broschiert, 296 pages
Published November 1st 1988 by Thienemanns (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Krabat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krabat

Start your review of Krabat
Manny
Excuse me for sounding smug, but I have managed to read a book in German. A real book, 250 pages long with no pictures. And, unlike earlier attempts, I did not cheat in any way: there was no accompanying parallel text, I didn't look anything up in a dictionary and I hadn't previously read it in another language. There is, to say the least, ample room left for improvement; but based on previous experience with learning languages, I think I've now reached the point where I can continue to progress ...more
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not really much of a fantasy reader. I find it difficult to get into fantasy novels, especially those set in medieval places (it's kind of cliché), but The Satanic Mill is definitely a special case with its 16th Century German scene. By the way, don't be put off by the Satan thing in the title; this is not a book promoting Satanism or anything like that. This book is instead a powerful and unforgettable classic about avoiding darkness and finding the courage to escape something you know is ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Krabat has dreams of a near-by mill. The pull is too strong and he ends up going there. The Master takes him in and he becomes that needed twelfth to keep the mill going. That mill is not just a mill though. On Fridays they are taught the black arts by the master.

I love folk/fairy tales and expected to be crazy over this book. I don't know if it was my mood at the time of reading or something for me being lost in the translation, but it was just an okay book.

I finished it last night and it's
Manny
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suzanne
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
As I'm rereading my favorite books from childhood, I find myself having to reset my rating system. After reading The Satanic Mill, for instance, I see that some other books I noted as 5 stars are really 4, and some 4 stars are really 3.

This book is flat out good. For a book about good and evil it's free of saccahrine and moralizing. Economically written and tightly plotted, there aren't anvils falling on your head indicating where the story is going.

And somehow the lack of flowery description
Hank Horse
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kids
A spooky and humane classic.

Our young orphan Krabat apprentices at a mill, which turns out to be a magic school far more sinister than Hogwarts.

Essentially a fairy tale, the story resonates on many levels.
One of the things I love about it is the way Ottfried Preussler portrays the world of magic as having limits. The powerful and despotic master at the mill has his own master in turn...The logic of the story is carefully constructed, and every action and development has consequences.

Though it
Steelwhisper
A re-read. Brilliant.
Caren
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, ya
When I read that this book had been an inspiration for the likes of writers Cornelia Funke and Neil Gaiman, my curiosity was piqued. The book appeared in German in 1971 and was translated into English soon after. It was re-released this year by New York Review of Books in their collection of classic children's titles.
The author grew up in a Bohemian town that was annexed, as part of the Sudetenland, by Hitler. He was drafted into the German military in 1944 and sent to fight on the Eastern
Kathrin
'Krabat' as a story is very dear to me although I never read the book. But I am familiar with the movie based on the book and I've seen numerous theatrical adaptions in the last years.

Supposedly, a children's book 'Krabat' is the rather dark story of a young boy with said name. Krabat is an orphan facing a dire faith in 17th century Germany. One day he feels the pull of a nearby mill and joins the master as an apprentice. In addition to learning the trade of the mill, the master also teaches
Kate
3.5*
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Krabat is a young boy who is strangely compelled to travel to an old Mill, once there he becomes an apprentice to the miller and his other workers. This is no ordinary mill and Krabat learns that the master uses the mill to teach black magic and that once you become a journeyman it is almost impossible to leave. Krabat becomes a model pupil but also dreams of life away from the mill and the often
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Alternative Title: The Satanic Mill

When I started reading it the story felt somewhat familiar. It was only then that I realised this book had been translated into Dutch a long time ago (as De Meester van de Zwarte Molen) and that many of my friends had read this while we were young.

And it makes for a perfect children's story. Krabat gets to work in a mill, but soon finds out the Master is training them in black arts and mysterious
Ana
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first reaction to Krabat was that it was obviously not originally written in English.
I found it difficult to believe it is a children's book because it deals with pretty heavy stuff, namely black magic.

Our Krabat is a 14 year old boy who makes a living out of begging with two other kids. Then he moves to a creepy mill with a terrifying master and 11 other journeymen.

The story has the feel of a folk tale. I was enthralled by the sense of elusiveness
booklady
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Julie
The Satanic Mill is a delightful story with a wicked sounding title. Reading it I was reminded of a Brothers Grimm tale expanded to a full-length book. Im not sure if that is because of the style of writing, the innocence of the main character, or the old-fashioned names used throughout or something altogether different.

Krabat is a fourteen year old orphan beggar in sixteenth century Germany who stumbles on a mill where he finds conditions too good to be trueat least for his time and place.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

I liked this story well enough: it has the definite markings of a fairy tale, somehow reminding me of old legends from my home area. (I'm not German, but we do have our own tales dealing with similar themes, such as clever journeymen who manage to outsmart supernatural beings, etc.)

There was magic in the atmosphere hereno pun intended: though sorcery was obviously a strong theme, indeed, events and descriptions
Missy J
Ok, I will try to describe what this novel made me feel. First of all, I read this novel for the first time when I entered secondary school, but I couldn't remember a single thing of the story. But when I started re-reading this last week, the names immediately came back to me. Krabat. Tonda. Michal. Jirko. Lobosch. Lyschko.

The story is set in a magical Germany that is already long gone. That Germany was a diverse place and many languages were spoken besides German. Krabat, the protagonist is
Marie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pleasently surprised by this one! I remember friends who had to read it in school and hated it - so my expectations were not too high. I ended up disappointed when it ended and wished for a second one! Its a children book, but well written with interesting characters, a nice plot and allways interesting.
Ellinor
One of my favourite books from childhood: Krabat is one of the rare books I could read again and again.
Luka
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am actually not sure if I had read Krabat before, but I certainly did not remember it to be as good as it is. Otfried Preußler's classic novel is an extremely well constructed tale about the misuse of power and the fleeding nature of youth and innocence. The novel captures a dark and faszinating atmosphere and sets up numerous intruiging mysteries without giving disappointing answers to them. It is pretty dark at times - especially for a childrens novel - but that makes it all the more ...more
The_Freddy
I love this book a lot. I re-read it every other year or so around Easter.
And now there is finally a proper audio version of it! So I enjoyed this year's re-read immensely. It's such a gripping book and so very heartfelt. I'm not actually into the topic much (aside form its historical value probably), but I'm still loving this story. Must be Preußler's narrative magic working.
João Sá Nogueira Rodrigues
Amazing book! I'm just sorry I did not read it before and it was not bigger because it ended faster than I wanted ...
Marta Duda-Gryc
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 rounded up.
Uli Kusterer
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is basically a YA novel, but from about 30 years before that term existed. It is a dark tale about a young miller's apprentice and his cohorts, who are taught dark magic by the miller, based on an ancient Sorbian folk tale. There's also a love story in there, though most of it happens more from a distance.
Koeur
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Publisher: Harper Collins

Publishing Date: September 2010 (1972)

ISBN: 9780007395125

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 4.4

Publisher Description: Set within a world of sorcery and wizardry, much like an 18th Century Harry Potter, Krabat tells the story of a 14-year-old beggar boy lured to a mysterious mill by a series of frightening dreams and apparitions.He becomes an apprentice to the master of the watermill where he joins the eleven other young journeymen who work
Frank
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This book holds a very special meaning for me. I first read it as a teenager and was deeply fascinated and spellbound. I later read it aloud for my younger siblings when they were ready for it, and later still for my nephew and niece. I am now reading it for my young daughter of seven, and she is delighted -- although, at times also a tiny bit afraid as I like to really impersonate the characters when reading aloud.

I feel that it can fully hold its own as an adult book even though it is meant
David Hebblethwaite
First published in English under the title The Satanic Mill, this German childrens classic (translated by Anthea Bell) has now been reissued under its original title as part of The Friday Project's Library of Lost Books range. It is the story of Krabat, a boy in 16th-century Saxony, who investigates a strange mill and finds himself compelled to become the millers apprentice, working alongside his eleven journeymen. The Master teaches his journeymen dark magic, but at a price: every New Years ...more
David Turner
I read this book when i was about 14 yrs old or so. i remember this book being my first intriuging, magical suspence novel. The main character was a young boy (don't remeber his name) that had a dream of a mill, and ended up there, where he met with a wizzard. He then followed the wizzard to the mill (under some form of spell as i can recall). While there, he befriends an older boy, who helps him with the daunting tasks that the evil wizzard commands of him and the other boys. He also meets a ...more
Ionia
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a strange and yet wonderful mixture of the occult and good storytelling. I wasn't really sure what to think in the beginning. I wondered if this book was going to be more for children than adults, but as I read on, I found myself liking the main character so much that it didn't really matter to me either way.

Krabat is an interesting character. Much like Frodo, he comes into the situation that changes his life rather innocently and without knowledge of what lie ahead of him. He
Maryam
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
lovely novel. it's supposed to be for children but i will look suspiciously at a grown up who wont enjoy such prose.

i'm not that much into wizarding world,but this book somehow tricked me in. its true that plot "young boy" against "dark lord" seems at times a bit annoying,but this story apart of certain cliches contains a delicate fragrance of the folk stories. you can literally feel the spirit of eastern germany,it's wendish (i actually had to google it,didnt know that there is a slavic
Nicki Markus
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Krabat in the original German, which is why it took me a few weeks to get through it. Krabat is a young beggar boy whose dreams lead him to become a student at a mysterious mill. He soon learns the mill is actually a school of black magic, but there are deadly things taking place behind the scenes and he must use his wits and new magical skills to save his life.

This was a very enjoyable and engaging story and my interest was held from start to finish. There are translations available, and
astried
Jul 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Magic is creepy and dangerous. We've forgotten that after Harry Potter ascendancy. J.K. Rowling mentioned in one of her interview after a death in the series that she wanted to show that death is real (or something like that). Well, here's a book that didn't even see the need of any excuse for putting death in children book. It just came and it came repeatedly. It also showed that to topple evil power required sacrifice in relinquishing your own power; to step out of the game field completely.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Tschick
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Das fliegende Klassenzimmer
  • Die Welle
  • Die Verwandlung
  • Wilhelm Tell
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • Nathan der Weise
  • Rico, Oskar und die Tieferschatten
  • Effi Briest
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Woyzeck
  • Homo Faber
  • Die Physiker
Otfried Preußler (sometimes spelled as Otfried Preussler) was a German children's books author. His best-known works are The Robber Hotzenplotz and The Satanic Mill (Krabat).

He won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 1972 for Krabat.
He has sold roughly 50 million copies worldwide.

He was born in Liberec (German: Reichenberg), Czechoslovakia. His forefathers had lived in this area since the 15th