Start by marking “The Border Lord's Bride (The Border Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Border Lord's Bride (The Border Chronicles, #2)

The Border Lord's Bride

(The Border Chronicles #2)

The Border Chronicles, continues with this tale of a woman rescued, a man enraptured, and a love unanticipated by fate....

Duncan Armstrong, laird of Duffdour, has sworn not to wed unless it is to a lass he truly loves. But when he needs a favor from King James, Duncan never expects what he's forced to pay in return: the taking of a bride neither loves nor desires.

When High
Published October 2nd 2007 by NAL (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Border Lord's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Border Lord's Bride

Karla
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars!
Ilona Andrews
Gordon is a very funny man. I’ve expressed once that I really disliked reading overblown Scottish brogue -all the nae hae bairn lairds make my brain hurt – and he made it a point to buy me anything with a Tartan on it. I mean, he’d go to the grocery store for some milk and come back with Rabid Highlander’s Witchy Bride or something like that and then laugh at my face, because once he buys me a gift, I will read it, even though some authors make poor Scotsmen sound like a pack of drunk D&D dw ...more
Regan Walker
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scot, bodice-rippers
A Rich Historical Scottish Bodice Ripper

While the book started a bit slow and contains more historical information and food descriptions than some might think necessary (though one meal description had my mouth watering), once I got into this romance, I found it addictive. Her writing style is unique, full of detailed descriptions of events, some repeated in various conversations and a fair amount of "head hopping" (giving many different perspectives and some in only a few lines). But here's the
Apr 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
I now know why I stopped reading romance novels. The characters repeated themselves so much that I became bored, and skimmed through a lot of this book. If you explained it to your sister in law, you don't have to explain it to your husband, the priest who rescues you, the king, the little girl who lives down the lane, and her mother. sheesh. It felt like the author was just trying to make a bigger book.
Becky
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is really not a romance. This is a book of history, which I enjoyed, but it was extremely repetitive. The "romance" was more like disconnected sex scenes, and I didn't like that. There was a point that I was going to quit reading this book, but I did push on through the end. Spoiler alert: Ellen did not get raped. If someone's review had said she was raped, I would have definitely quit reading it.

Okay, I already said that I enjoyed the history in the book. Sometimes it was awkward, like it
Judith Sherrod
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Border Lord's Bride

Acting like two cats with sore tails, Scotland and England must battle all along their border. The Border lairds and their families must always answer to their King and fight to keep what little they have. Marriagable women are few and far between, so when your King gives you one of his wards hand in marriage, you take it. Sometimes love comes sometimes it's to a cruel master they go. Luckily Ellen was given to Duncan Armstrong a laird that grew to love her furiously.

S
Patricia A Meyers
Enjoyable!

Not one
to disappoint, Beatrice Small has produced yet another page turner. I love reading her romance stories and escaping the daily worries for just a little while. I am a sucker and not afraid to admit it.

Kim Fasano
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

Best historical fiction . Another great read by Beatrice Small, she weaves a great tale between truth and fiction, end
K Higgins
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Good, but lengthy and too heavily focused on the small details that frustratingly kept adding to the plot.
Brenda Franks
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book.

I enjoy BertriceSmall's books - some more than others. This series is one that I have really enjoyed. In my opinion it is better than some of her others.
Marianne
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm liking this series about medieval life in Scotland. Though, at times the prose is a bit overdone, overall the books are enjoyable.
Teressa
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the first book a little better than the second in this series. I found the heroine to be very likable, and I actually liked her husband a bit better than the hero of the first book. The question that kept going through my mind throughout the book was, "Were men SUCH slimy pigs back then?" Men these days seem sort of tame compared the men in the book. They are like animals, and view women as wenches or whores. It was rather shocking. The bedroom scenes just got ridiculous; there were so m ...more
M
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I just finished this book and I am writing with mixed emotions. For some reason I thoroughly enjoy reading about the Highlands. This was a new author for me so I was cautious but I enjoyed the plot pretty quickly. Yet, I got to the point where I was kind of surprised the book was still going. I really like a good love story with strong characters who face difficulties together before and during marriage, but I felt that what I enjoyed was skimmed over and the author spent more time on things suc ...more
Lisa
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This novel is set during the time of King James IV of Scotland and his infamous war with King Henry over the "Pretender" Richard, Duke of York. The story is actually told from the point of view of the border lord Duncan and his fiery Highland wife Ellen who endure the horrors of living on the England/Scotland border. Although I enjoyed learning about the history, parts of the story were repeated (when Ellen retells her story of killing Balgair to every person in the king's castle, the story is a ...more
Kimchi
Oct 02, 2007 rated it liked it
ok, This is another book with a great story line, witty charaters and a bit of daring. The characters in this book have an instsant attraction and their love was put to the test. As we know with all stories that have a decleration of love in the beginning they will be seperated and their love put through the test. I've read all kinds of stories and beatrice small went for the original story base.
I like this book but it is not an all time favorite.
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
This one fell flat for me and I didn't find it nearly as interesting or entertaining as other Bertrice Small novels, or even the first in this series (A Dangerous Love). Ellen is a thoroughly unremarkable heroine and was even annoying at times with her bland, ever-practical nature. Ho-hum. The 'hero', Duncan, was as cardboard as Ellen... and hardly heroic. Small usually writes dynamic characters but these had no spark. I hope the third in the series has more life than this one.
Cheryl Tollestrup
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the romance aspect of this story but the end gets bogged down in historical politics and the romance gets lost. Sometimes it seems the heroine over shadows her husband and it would have been nice if they were equal in presentation. Just my humble opinion. Bertrice Small is still one of my favorite authors!
Tori
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was my first Beatrice Small book that I picked up at the library on a whim. It was good, but not great. After looking up a few other reviews I feel like I am not the only one who felt this way. Ellen was good character but a bit on the boring side. I thought the same of Duncan, sorry to say I felt like I would have rather read a book about King James then these two.
Emily
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love the story. Love the series.

Found this book at a used book store and hadn't realized I also bought the first one in the series until I was finished.
I really enjoyed it and it made sense without having to the first book in the series (which was nice).

Made me look for the other books in the series.
Linette
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ah!! I'm so happy I read about this book. I'll be honest" since my favorite character is Adair I spent most of the time eagerly waiting for Adair to come up. It's nice to read about Duncan finding his true love since his younger half-brother already has.
TJ
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
While I find I love Ms. Small's ability to weave history into a riveting story, I just can't get past the excessive use of vulgar terms and sex. She doesn't need it and it takes away from both the story and her talent. Without it her "Border" books would be 4 to 5 star.
Deedee
A tad long and some of the conflict seemed forced. The heroine was okay not the best female leads that I've read but definitely not the worst.
The hero wasn't the best but was a good male lead. Strong beginning, okay middle, and alright ending.
All in all this book was an okay read.
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I used to love Bertrice Smalls' books. Were the early ones as bad as this one? I'm going to have to find one and re-read it, I guess. This one was a lot like reading a comic book...the characters were so one dimensional and shallow. I was disappointed.
Denise
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Good honest characters with depth. Some of the same folks from the first book and new ones too. Good story if you like love stories and some historical fiction thrown in (of course that means, battles, murder, kidnapping, etc).
Marianne
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story itself was a bit lengthy with all the "stories" being repeated through out the book and it fell flat for me. Ellen is quite unremarkable and even annoyingly bland. And then Duncan, the "hero", was really not an interesting character... Hope the third one is better...
Nicole
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent book.
Kathryn
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books, kindle
easy quick read, not enough depth to the story though.
May 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Did you know these books are dirty....I mean it is no "Thong on Fire" but.....
Amy
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read set on the border between Scotland and England!
Greyland Reviews
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will write an overall review for the whole series.4 stars
  • The Night Before The Wedding
  • Willing Submission
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • The Marriage Prize (Medieval Plantagenet, #3)
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • King of Storms (Isles/Templars, #6)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • The Devil of Jedburgh
  • Highland Dragon
  • My Immortal Promise (MacDonell Brides, #5)
  • Master of Craving (Blood Sword Legacy, #3)
  • Threads of Destiny (Clan Mackenzie, #1)
  • Temptation of a Highland Scoundrel (Highland Warriors, #2)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)
  • Elfking's Lady
  • A Promise Given
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • A Storm of Passion
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more

The Border Chronicles (6 books)
  • A Dangerous Love (The Border Chronicles #1)
  • The Captive Heart (The Border Chronicles, #3)
  • The Border Lord and the Lady (The Border Chronicles, #4)
  • The Border Vixen (The Border Chronicles, #5)
  • Bond of Passion (The Border Chronicles, #6)