Start by marking “The Best Thing” as Want to Read:
The Best Thing

The Best Thing

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  10,695 ratings  ·  1,327 reviews
Some things are easily forgiven. Other things… not so much.

Lenny DeMaio made herself a promise: she was done.
Done thinking about him.
Done worrying about him.
Done reaching out to a man who clearly didn’t want to be found.

Too bad no one gave Jonah Collins the memo.
493 pages
Published August 7th 2019

·  10,695 ratings  ·  1,327 reviews

Start your review of The Best Thing
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 - 4 Stars
***Make sure you check out an important note I bolded further down***

Well. This book made me cry at the end. Which is a big deal. Because I RARELY cry. And I even more rarely admit to it.

So there’s that.

As all Zapata readers know, her books are slow. Super slow. And this one was VERY slow. Even more slow than usual, in my opinion. Certain things are very dragged out. Some dialogue and scenes felt superfluous...and endlessly meandering. Without purpose.

In fact, I was actually
shre ♡
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
mariana zapata could write a 9000 page fanfiction based on peppa pig and i would read it.

there is nothing this woman puts out that i would not put on a pedestal and worship.

READ: 08/14/2019

*4.5/5*

"Do what you have to do to be happy, okay? No one else is going to do it for you."

she's done it again ladies and gays. ms. mariana zapata never fails to satisfy. she also somehow manages to successfully write every trope she decides to tackle with perfection? i have too many emotions right now so
Corina
Spoiler free review

The Best Thing almost felt like it was written just for me. It was as close to perfect as it gets in regards to my taste.

I'm not kidding. The tropes, one is a secret one and can't be revealed, the characters, the story - it ALL synced with me. I was in one happy place reading this book. It's always a great indication if I read with a smile on my face and if a book can make me laugh so hard I'm afraid I'll pee myself.

So here are all the things I loved about this book:

1) Lenny.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
VIVA ZAPATA! In the love of the queen of the slow-burn romances, you made me fall in love with your book! I cannot help myself to put it down. I finished it but I still hold it in my hands. I’m literally cuddling! My dogs are already jealous of the book getting more attention than them What an amazing writer you are! Arriba! Five blazing, sizzling, shining, firing stars!

First of all I raise my glass to the most amazing supporting character who stole the show : GRANDPA GUS! What a fascinating,
Geri Reads
Aug 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF @76%

Mariana Zapata's books have been on my to-be-read pile since her breakout book Kulti and Wall of Winnipeg & Me. And despite my friend's urging, I've been reticent in trying her books. For one, I find 500+ books intimidating. Two, I'm a moody reader and you guys know how that is.

But the blurb for The Best Thing hooked me right in and I knew that if I ever start a Zapata book, this would be a good choice. Plus, I was in the mood for slow burns.

Unfortunately, this one didn't quite go as
Bibi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
Boring, repetitive, and pretty much like her other story with the auto-mechanic.
Natasha is a Book Junkie
Don’t mind me, I’m just here sobbing my heart out and my eyes hurt and my whole body hurts and half of it is because this book is so damn BEAUTIFUL and the other half of it is because there are no more pages for me to read. Mariana Zapata has outdone herself. THE BEST THING deserves a bazillion stars.
Ceki
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, sports, slow-burn
I know I'm in the minority here, but this book was a total miss for me. I was annoyed from the beginning until the end. If you are familiar with Zapata then you know that she is big on family relationships, but I was bored to death... to be honest. I just don't care about reading so much about uncles, sisters, grandfathers etc in general. I want the main couple to be in the spotlight without having dozens of cousins popping out every second page.

It didn't help that every chapter started with a
chan ☆
dnf @ 23%

this has been on my currently reading for almost 2 months and i think it's time to face the fact that this just isn't going to work for me.

much like other frequent readers of romance, i have very specific taste. and in this case, i DO love a single parent trope but i DON'T like a "i didn't even know we had a kid together" trope. it's just a twist on the classic miscommunication plot device. i don't like it. and had i known that's what this book was going to be about i wouldn't have
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
5 / 5 stars

Before reading this one, I have to say that I didn’t expect anything from its story since I picked it up just because its cover caught my eye and it made me want to read it.

But after finishing it, I think The Best Thing is a great book one, though. It doesn’t only focus on romance but it also focus on family relationships. And that’s why I love this book. Even if the plot is mediocre but Mariana Zapata’s writing is so captivating that I decided to overlook and forget about it. I also
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]

Mariana Zapata is hands down, my favourite author of all time (also my only auto-buy author). I swear, she could write a book filled with my most hated tropes and I would end up rating it five stars, she's a magician. SO I WANT THIS NOW. Gimme, gimme, gimme.
Tianna✸loves books✸
Blurb is vague so I went in this blind.
But the characters are from her previous book Luna and the Lie.

The book started with the heroine, Lenny, whining about the hero, Jonah, who left her or maybe they broke up or something happening. But he was suddenly MIA. She sent him ton of voice mails and text messages and notes on his apartment door. But no reply from him.

So now she HATES him but all her thoughts are about HIM.

Then all of a sudden he comes back after some 17 months. And since he came the
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

The story went flat for me at the halfway mark - - however the ending was beautiful.
mel
no one has ever made me excited about forehead touching or hand-holding like the one and only, Mariana Zapata.

first half:
ok gotta admit, when THAT thing happened 15% in i was a little iffy because i really don't like that trope at all and i was also iffy because with all MZ books, the MCs start off as strangers/acquaintances and that's actually my favorite part in her books because as a reader, i love it when i know the exact moment the hero falls in love with the heroine, but of course, the
arini ★彡
who'd have thought that fictional grandpas are the best?? who'd have thought at all that the most memorable character in a romance book would be a mere funny old man instead of the couple of which the book supposedly should be about?? (!!!)

i swear grandpa gus is the coolest, funniest, most caring and loving grandpa i've ever met. he might not be real, but all his wisdom, you can bet i will live by them for the rest of my life!!

the casts

i genuinely love every single character in this book.
☽ TheBibliotheque
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jonah Collins said, gaze unflinching, "There's no choice, sweetheart."
It was my turn to swallow, and it had nothing to do with that dumbass term of endearment he'd used.

There's no choice either when it comes to loving a MZ. You just do.
And I did, I really did. Even if it wasn't what I was expecting and even if maybe - just maybe - I loved it slightly less than the all the rest of her books. Except for you, Locke, I still don't like you.

Oh sigh, I can't really say much more without saying too
Eva
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book. It made me laugh and cry, it kept me up at night. Mariana never disappoints. Her characters, no matter how small, are all so well thought out. I love the way she explores family dynamics. So good!
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
2.5 STARS (Rounded down to 2 stars)
**SPOILER-FREE
Overall—let's start with this— I think it was a cute story.
My experience with this book is conflicted as until 13% (before the main trope is even being hinted at) I had started hating on the book. The main reasons? The juvenile characterization of the 30 years old heroine—a somehow usual trait for Zapata's heroines— and the writing that seemed to be at its repetitiveness peak—even for Zapata.

Heroine:
" Fuckface, deepshit, fucker, asshole,
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

I really enjoyed this book by Mariana Zapata. I’ve read everything she’s ever written, and while I don’t always love everything, I always enjoy her work. And this book was no exception. This book started out with heavy doses of angst and halfway through went very sweet (I would prefer angst the whole way but that’s just me). By the end of the book I was crying, which is when you know you’ve read something good.

That’s it. That’s the review. Buy it and read it if you want to know more!!!
Beth
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Editor needed!

Hey guys, did you know Jonah has honey coloured eyes? No, well Lenny only mentions them 37 times. Seriously this woman had an absolute obsession with eye colour and about halfway through the book I thought about turning it into a drinking game but then I decided my liver wouldn’t be able to deal with the sheer quantity I would need to drink.

Sadly I think I’m done with Zapata’s books. I enjoyed the first few but with every new publication I realise that she only has 2 love stories
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
3.5-4 stars! Leaning towards 3.5. Though I liked Lenny and Jonah, I had a tough time connecting with them, especially Lenny. And I have to admit I didn't get into the book until halfway through, but that may have been because I've been in a slight book funk. But I DID love that Jonah is a big, 6 1/2 foot tall, soft, sweet boy with a heart of gold! And that epilogue? GOT ME SO CHOKED UP. WOW.

The slow burn queen has blessed us https://amzn.to/2YC4BiZ
Carol
3.75 - 4 stars.
I might have have to think a bit more about this book before I give my review*** or not (following that comment I just kept on typing).

This was the most different of all Mariana Zapata's books IMO (and for some reason I am finding it harder to review).

All of her books are essentially slow burns this one included but I think this might be the first one that is really more of a "second chance" love story and that would seem to create an additional obstacle - usually in a Mariana
Liz
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: athletic-god
“You do whatever you have to do for the people you love.”

description

The Best Thing is the next blockbuster released by one of my all-time faves Mariana Zapata. Famous for her slow-burn romances, Mariana never fails to deliver nothing short of magic every single time I dive into one of her stories. Lenny DeMaio is determined to overcome the painful loss she has experienced in her life. With a supportive family and friends, Lenny has found joy and happiness just being with the ones she loves. When the
Danielle Rotko
This is the one and only book of hers that I have ever given less than 4 stars to. I just couldn’t connect to Lenny and Jonah :( I felt like very little was ever happening between them, and not just in Mariana’s signature slow-burn way. I didn’t feel any of the spark I have come to expect from her stories.

And while it pains me to have not absolutely loved one of Mariana’s books, she’s still my # 1. You can bet I’ll be one-clicking her next one and the one after that and the one after that.

p.s.
Kiki
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don’t even go there.

I want refund on wastage of the 2 precious hours of my life which I could’ve spent watching the paint dry.

And WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS HONEY COLOURED BROWN EYES???? Are they honey coloured or are the fucking brown????
あきこ
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Grandpa Gus Stars!

31 year old Elena (Lenny) DeMaio finally found a guy that she was smitten with, a little over 17 months ago, but then he left without an explanation, and he never responded to her texts, emails, etc.. Now she curses his name and 'hates' him...

30 year old, rugby player, Jonah Collins has some regrets about his decisions from the not so distant past, but he's set on making things right, now that he's sorted himself out...

I really wanted to love this story, but I was kind of
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mariana Zapata Fans, Romance
4 Strength, Love, and Family Stars
* * * * Congratulations-2019 Best Romance
Semifinal Round Nominee, Review Spoiler Free

My first experience with Mariana Zapata was her book, Kulti. I was so taken by the crafting, the emotions it stimulated in me, and then the slow burn which built throughout the story. Ms. Zapata also created a way to make the family surround her characters to become a living breathing reality. True feelings were generated, nothing manipulated or heavy-handed. To this day, it is
Jamie
Ahhhh another book by my ALL TIME FAVORITE AUTHOR?! I cannot wait!!!

As always with this author, I loved it! I loved sweet Jonah and everything about this! I cracked up laughing at the part about his Stuart little voice!! I always love all of MZ’s H’s, but it was nice to see a little change this time around. That being said, I do truly love her typical H’s. I’ll take whatever I can get from her lol. That epilogue had me crying though!

ALSO I’m really glad I didn’t read reviews before I read this
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I devoured this book in the best way I know how, on holiday, with my full and undivided attention, just what any Zapata book deserves. THE BEST THING gave me all the things I love from my favourite Zapatas – family and friends, the slow burn build and all of the stomach-crunching feelings. What was special about this book was that it went a direction that Mariana hasn’t gone before and it worked so darn well.

This story has a split sport context of MMA and rubgy…hello…this is fine by me. What a
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
This isn't part of a series or anything, but it does feature characters from Luna and the Lie. Luna is Lenny's best friend and she crops up from time to time. You don't really need to have read the other book first, though, to get the most out of this one and reading this one first won't really spoil much for that book if you decide to go back, either.

Zapata does a bit of a sneaky reveal at about 15% that had me puzzled. I mean, I knew something was up because Lenny's reactions to Jonah felt a

• You Can Have Manhattan
  • Happy-Go-Lucky
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • Enemies
  • Perfectly Adequate
  • Jock Road (Jock Hard, #3)
  • His Royal Highness
  • I Hate You
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery #1)
  • Where the Blame Lies
  • Park Avenue Player
  • The Dugout
  • Dirty Letters
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Coming Up Roses (Bennet Brothers, #1)
  • In the Unlikely Event
“The soft yellow ball was honestly one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone had ever given me. It was a decent replacement for the nut sacks I wished I could squeeze the hell out of when someone pissed me off.” 12 likes
“Do what you have to do to be happy, okay? No one else is going to do it for you.” 10 likes