Start by marking “The Young City” as Want to Read:
The Young City

The Young City

(The Unwritten Books #3)

Rosemary Watson and Peter McAllister think their future is clear: they're finally heading off for university. They're thinking about finding apartments, picking courses, living like adults.

But what happens when the future becomes the past? While helping Rosemary's brother move into an apartment in Toronto, Peter and Rosemary fall into an underground river and are swept bac
Published November 21st 2008 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about The Young City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young City

Samantha
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know about most people, but I for one find reading a series out of order to be completely frustrating and I usually can’t do it. But this time, I could and I am really glad I did. The Young City is one of those stories that once you start, it’s hard to stop. It’s the third book in a series, The Unwritten Books, but it completely holds its own as a standalone novel.

Rosemary Watson and Peter McAllister are eighteen, in love, and finally beginning their lives outside of their parents and ar
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Young City begins as Peter McAllister and Rosemary Watson are getting ready to head off to university. To head off, that is, to separate universities. They aren’t sure how they feel about this. The romance that got underway in Fathom Five, and was imagined even in The Unwritten Girl, has developed, to the point that Rosemary and Peter are thinking seriously of future marriage, and are worrying about the ramifications of separation at school.

While helping Rosemary’s brother move into his new
Katie
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Rosemary and Peter are finally together at least for a little while. They are both going on to separate colleges but they know that they can make it work. There is nothing that can ruin what they have going or at least that what's they think.

Tiffany
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
I did not realize it was part of a series right away. It was okay, a little boring. Spoiler alert:

My thoughts:
What kind of idiot travels into the future just to import cheap watches?
What teens, in a world of their own where everyone thinks they are married, wouldn't be going at it like rabbits? Hormones, hello.

Plot holes. Could have been more interesting.
The Master
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This brilliant urban fantasy takes two university students back in time to Toronto, 1884. Pacey, well-written and plenty of action. Would love to see it turned into a film.
Jesus Marquez
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I did not realize that this was a series at all.. Very nice book, interesting learning about old tdot..!! ;)
Amanda
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea this book was part of a series, none the less I adore this book!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Samantha Clanton, aka "Harlequin Twilight" for TeensReadToo.com

I don't know about most people, but I for one find reading a series out of order to be completely frustrating and I usually can't do it. But this time, I could and I am really glad I did. THE YOUNG CITY is one of those stories that once you start, it's hard to stop. It's the third book in a series, THE UNWRITTEN BOOKS, but it completely holds its own as a standalone novel.

Rosemary Watson and Peter McAllister are eighteen,
Riley\
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rosemary and Peter are finally together at least for a little while. They are both going on to separate colleges but they know that they can make it work. There is nothing that can ruin what they have going or at least that what they think.

While helping Rosemary's brother Theo move into his apartment, they fall through a hole in the floor into a river. A river that takes them back in time, to the year 1884. Luckily, a brother and sister are kind enough to take them into their home, at least unti
Martha
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult, canlit
I think the light style worked better when Peter and Rosemary were younger teens. Their age, plus the seriousness of the subject matter, may have been better served by a bit more insight into their emotions.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
James does a wonderful job of guiding his characters into adulthood. A very satisfying novel.
Jemaine
Clare
Jan 25, 2009
Marissa Fasshauer
Sep 17, 2012
I was born in downtown Toronto on April 19, 1972 and lived there until my folks moved up to Kitchener in 1991 so I could attend the University of Waterloo. I’ve lived in Kitchener ever since. I’ve been trained as an urban planner, and I’ve worked as a database manager, web designer, circulation manager, administrative assistant, layout designer and office manager. The one consistent thing about my ...more

The Unwritten Books (3 books)
  • The Unwritten Girl