Start by marking “The Soul Collector” as Want to Read:
The Soul Collector

The Soul Collector (Matt Wells #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Brutally targeted by the "White Devil" serial killer, crime writer Matt Wells knows what it's like to look evil in the face and survive. He's rebuilt his life--but with a disciple of his tormentor still at large, he has never stopped looking over his shoulder.
When mystery writers start dying and his friend is found murdered, Matt's paranoia appears well-founded. Now he mu

Published October 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Collector

Iain McGregor
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having read The Death List (the first book of this series) I was really looking forward to The Soul Collector, however, whilst I enjoyed it, I would have to say that it didn’t quite measure up to its predecessor . Perhaps it’s a case of ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ but the action was more muddled and less straightforward, with the protagonists operating out on the fringes, whereas, in The death List the action was ‘upfront and personal’!
In addition, there is a sub story running along with the m
Charli
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
To be perfectly honest, I thought the book was absolutely wonderful and thought the book was a stand alone, up until I noticed that the "narrator," Matt Wells, had written a book called The Death List, which of course, Mr. Johnston has also written a book by that title. Of course, that one actually goes before The Soul Collector. Of course, I read the second book first.

The gist of the story is this - The White Devil's sister is gunning for Matt Wells due to the book he wrote chronicling the Whit
Katie Kenig
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Soul Collector is the second installment in a fun crime saga following writer Matt Wells. What isn't so fun is the antics of his former girlfriend, Sara, who is now following in the footsteps of her brother - the White Devil serial killer from the first book in the series.

Matt Wells is pretty savvy for a writer, going up against nasty bad guys, and solves some intricate puzzles along the way that had me scratching my head. I enjoyed the fact that this time I was surprised by the identities o
Deirdre
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fromlibrary
Matt Wells is still worried about the aftereffects of the White Devil serial killer, after all the sister of the White Devil, and ex-girlfriend of Matt is still at large. Matt and his friends have taken things in their own hands and have plans for if things go wrong.

When they do, and notes left with the body refer to Matt, things start to spiral out of control. However it doesn't look like the work of one person, so who is doing this. It also doesn't look good for Matt when it's other mystery wr
Teresa
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
When reading the blurb on the back of the book while at the library I didn't realise I had actually read this before. It wasn't until is at down to read it properly I recognised it. I enjoyed it enough to want to read it a second time around but it hadn't been good enough to stick in my memory. It is certainly fast paced with a lot of action and uninteresting story but somehow it doesn't quite grab the attention. And I thought the ending was simply a device to get people to read the next book in ...more
Pat
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paul Johnston is a very good writer but personally I feel that this book is a bit too dark for my liking.
If you want a dark, violent, vicious serial killer story then this is for you but I suspect I am over the genre.
The writing is descriptive though the supporting characters can be a bit cliché in particular Karen Oaten the love interest. The sidekicks of the main character are also a bit to helpful to the plot but you do feel that there is enough character and individuality in them.
Karsyn
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
SO freaking disappointed in this one. The first one was crazy with LOADS of characters and things going on but you could still follow it. This one had WAY WAY WAY WAY too much fucking stuff going on. If they kept it along ONE of the story lines with a few different groups it would have been MUCH better. Now, I don't even know if I want to read the rest of the series, which I HAD been looking forward to.
Jade Herrera
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Paul Johnston has a way with words. He makes the scenes come alive that I could almost see the victims lying in the pool of blood and feel the anxiety of Matt Wells. I actually expected that Dave was the friend of Matt who was gonna die but I couldn't believe that he did die.

The Soul Collector is a good sequel. It's not as great as the Death List but it's good nonetheless.
Ricardo
Sep 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was really bad. Imagine you went to your kitchen and took absolutely everything you had in your cupboards and fridge, mixed it together, and then baked it for 300 pages. The end result would be almost better than this book was and it would be just about the same process the author used
Pauline
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one much better than the first one. Looking forward to the next in the series now.
Michael Jecks
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Johnston writes elegant, fast, thrillers, with superb characterisation and plots. This was excellent.
David
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Certainly fast paced and keeps you guessing, a great sequel to "The Death List" which needs to be read first.
Noel Arndt Caryl
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Very dark!!
Aly
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second book of The White Devil Series, but not as much as the first,
Gayle
Bélen
Jul 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Fixer (The Ustari Cycle, #0.5)
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • Romeo Spikes
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Reconstructing Brigid (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • IMAGINES: Celebrity Encounters Starring You
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Wanted (Mingo McCloud, #1)
  • The 38 Million Dollar Smile (Donald Strachey, #10)
  • Vieux Carré Voodoo (Scotty Bradley, #4)
Paul Johnston was born in Edinburgh, studied Greek at Oxford, and now divides his time between the UK and a small Greek island. His highly-acclaimed Quintilian Dalrymple series won the John Creasey Memorial Dagger for best first crime novel.

Series:
* Quint Dalrymple
* Alex Mavros
* Matt Wells
More about Paul Johnston...

Matt Wells (4 books)
  • The Death List
  • Maps of Hell
  • The Nameless Dead (Matt Wells)