Start by marking “The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution Book 2)

The Quantum Garden

(The Quantum Evolution #2)

“Künsken has a wonderfully ingenious imagination.” - Adam Roberts, Locus

THE ULTIMATE CHASE

Days ago, Belisarius pulled off the most audacious con job in history. He’s rich, he’s back with the love of his life, and he has the Time Gates, the most valuable things in existence. Nothing could spoil this…

…except the utter destruction of his people and their world. To save
Kindle Edition
Published October 15th 2019 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum Garden

Start your review of The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution Book 2)
Bradley
No spoilers, but there's a lot to love in this follow-up to the Quantum Magician.

For those of us who love it, there's a lot of hi-tech spec-speak with near-autistic mental states and high-computation, but there's also time-travel, a brand new con, and a twisty-turvy plot.

Sounds pretty standard, tho, right? There's a non-usual interesting tidbit that arrives, however. And I can't talk about it. You know. Fight club. But I really, really enjoyed the alien intelligences and
William
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5-Stars, a sci-fi masterpiece, a gnurd's joy to read.

Completely, utterly awesome. Künsken shows total command of prose, plot, action and character. Read this book NOW.

I love the delicious quantum science, and the outrageously interesting characters and races. Quantum Garden is a triumph, highest praise!

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

The Quantum Garden starts essentially the day after the previous book, The Quantum Garden, my review.

Many of the main characters from book one arepraise!
read.
Completely,
Lou
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Quantum Garden, the second instalment in The Quantum Evolution series by the superb Derek Künsken, is even more thrilling and intense than its predecessor and putting it down was a real problem and one I rarely get when reading science/speculative fiction. The combination of different elements make this series a real rare and original gem; a compulsive and intelligent heist adventure set in a world where time travel is possible and plays a substantial role in the plot. This is just as imagin ...more
Ben Babcock
Koeur
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.8/5

Review: Much like the Quantum Magician, this does not disappoint. Since I loved this novel let’s pick on the points that were a bit weak. The story line was too carefully planned, almost as if every instance is predicated on a definitive outcome. There just weren’t any surprises. Perhaps I have grown used to the writing style in so much that what was once random and surprising is now a bit patterned.

This author does a fantastic job at world building while deftly weaving an int/>Review:
Chris
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

The Quantum Garden is the second in Derek Künsken’s “Quantum Evolution” series. It explores the idea of transhumanism, as well as delving into moral quandary, both blended with some seriously snappy sci-fi action.

And yes, before you ask, it does it well. There’s so much to love here. The plot is pure high-concept sci-fi It involves, without spoilers, time travel, revolution, the salvation of a people, and some well observed, s
Joe Leigh
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it was longer! Really enjoying the series, can't wait for the next one
Dan Trefethen
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is extremely chewy hard science fiction. The more you know about quantum mechanics, the more you'll enjoy this speculation on what would it be like for a human to think at the quantum mechanical level.

What's the book like? If Greg Egan, the hardest of hard SF writers about physics and consciousness, teamed with Yoon Ha Lee, who writes space opera about Machiavellian, galaxy-spanning cabals, it might be something like this. Lee has a more sardonic sense of humor, but the schemes-within-sche
Elaine Aldred
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belisarius Arjona, aided by his Ocean’s Eleven style team, has just pulled off the greatest heist/con job ever. But if you’re going to steal something more valuable than can ever be imagined from very powerful people, then expect retribution. When it comes to Bel it is his people, the Homo quantus, who are the ones to suffer for Bel’s audacity and now he has to set things right. To do this he must broker a deal with those he has just double-crossed and travel back in time to once again be a Quan ...more
Michael Dodd
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having pulled off the con of a lifetime and escaped with the time gates, Belisarius and Cassie are quickly thrown back into danger when the lives of the entire homo quantus population are threatened. Enlisting the sceptical assistance of Colonel Iekanjika and risking an irreparable paradox, they put the time gates to hazardous use and travel back in time to search for answers in the history of the Sixth Expeditionary Force, while the implacable Scarecrow dogs them every step of the way.
Craig Arnush
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a fan of the first book in this series, and this new installation has only made me like the series even more. Actually, I found this to be even a little more accessible than the first book. The first book was a little farther reaching in scope, doing the necessary world-building. With that out of the way, the second book was able to flow a little better.

We spend most of the time with our favourite quantum magician, Bellisarius Arjona, and the woman who first hired him, Ayen Iek
Pile By the Bed
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derek Künsken follows up his mindbending debut The Quantum Magician with something remarkably different in The Quantum Garden. The book opens just after the events of his debut. Con man Belasarius is on the run when he learns that one of his enemies has decided to exact revenge on his whole community, the homo quantus, who live a peaceful life on an asteroid. Belasarius uses the time gates he stole in the previous book to go back in time and mount a rescue mission but this is only the start of h ...more
Linda
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating World

Fascinating world with very different engineered humans & now vegetal intelligences.

This is less of a caper and more of a "clean up the mess a day after the party while hungover" kind of book. It also doesn't have the classic 2nd book in a trilogy feel, but I guess author/publisher are keeping options open.
Moshe
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great second book in the series. Very good hard, far future sci-fi. Goes into a lot of detail and it seems very realistic. Belisarius carries on being the best conman and the book set up a great next one which I'd love to read. I finished this as soon as I got it even though I started at midnight which shows how addicting it is.
You'll love it if you like cleverer than everyone else protagonists, hard science fiction, far future sci fi, and an original and unique take on science fiction rather t
Wayne Santos
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Con man Arjona Belisarius, his Homo Quantus companion Cassie, and the foul-mouthed pilot Stills are back in the sequel to the Quantum Magician. This book is a direct sequel to the first, so while Kunsken does take the time to fill in some blanks about past events, this is ultimately a more satisfying read if you've come off the crazy heist of the first novel.

The Quantum Garden takes a different approach, not attempting to outdo the heist of the first book with an even bigger heist. N
Mike
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, codexians
I read the first in this series and enjoyed it, despite its frequent tragedies and challenging setting, so I requested this one from Netgalley. Thanks to the publisher for granting the request.

I found it easier to follow than the first, though like the first one, it does have a long series of events in which things get worse for the characters and they have to make terrible choices. Like the first, it ends with at least a hint of hope. Unlike the first, it doesn't really incorporate a heist.

It
Qukatheg
I received this book for free through NetGalley.

Belarisius and Cassandra are homo quantus, a subspecies of humans enhanced with quantum senses, high intelligence and exceptionally good at science. They're headed to the homo quantus' home, the asteroid Garret, when they see a big explosion with the potential to wipe out their people.
Bel and Cassie have stolen a time travel wormhole, so they travel back in time in order to prevent the genocide taking place. They have to evacuate the asteroid
Kay Mcleer
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great sci-fi novel, I had forgotten to read the first book in the series but I still really enjoyed reading this one.
Wendy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Quantum Garden begins where The Quantum Magician ends. Belisarius and Cassandra have the Time Gates and a ship they named The Calculated Risk. Iekanjika is back with her people and very angry at being betrayed by Bel. The Congregate has decided to either enslave or exterminate the Homo Quantus.

Bel and Cassie must team up with Iekanjika, Saint Matthew the AI and Stills and travel through time to carry out a mission to save Bel's people without causing a paradox.

What th
Tyler
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The Quantum Garden is the sequel to The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. It continues on from the first book, with Belisarius and Cassie traveling back in time to prevent the destruction of their homeworld, indirectly caused by his actions.

It also broaches topics in the same vain as the first book – travelling through 11 dimensions, inducing the savant state to make complex calculations, antimatter and time travel, but all told in a readable way for hard SF topics.

It ha
Jamie Rich
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution Book 2) by Derek Künsken

Just when you think it's safe to come back from the biggest heist in the galaxy...

It's not. Especially when you are as gifted, and as amoral as our plucky band of heroes. But are they really all that amoral, or is it just a misrepresentation of the quantum processing available in their very twisted minds and bodies?
So yes, the best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. And toss in some impossible tim travel
Jennifer Taw
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel that's far better than the original, stripping away the pop caper elements and doubling down on the science and ethics. Time travel, extinctions, responsibility, quantum mysteries, military hierarchy, faith...it's all here, relieved with some gasp-inducing space chases and the Mongrel's colorful expletive-laden language. Read masterfully by the wonderful T. Ryder Smith, the story powers along, dipping into existential crises in literal and figurative senses (and across 11 dimensions!). ...more
Bill
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought that this book dropped off from the first one. The first one followed a classic heist structure. I enjoyed that this book picked up almost directly after the action of the first one, and while it had a good hook and a strong ending the middle part of the story was a bit fragmented and unsatisfying.
Derek Pankaew
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare for a sequal to be better than the original. This book really blew my mind in multiple dimensions. The intersection of quantum mechanics and God, and the Predestination-like time travel were truly a pleasure.

While Book 1 was a solid 4/5, this book gets a full 5/5. Can't wait for the next one.
Matt Herrington
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Fascinating

Another deep quantum dive with Arjona and company. A bit softer than Magician and not as tightly wound. But bigger themed as they try to clean up the mess they made when they shattered the known universe.
Steve Hunt
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent second book

Often second books are not as good as the first and spend a lot of time setting up the third, not so in this case,a strong plot, fascinating quantum science and a deeper insight into arjonus.
Nelly
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow i actually finished a book

and i liked this book a lot more than the first one... i really enjoyed the ideas it explored with time travel... it was a good take on time travel and i am picky about my time travel
Gdwallasign
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-fiction
Wonderful. Happy for the follow up. Met expectations by going in some neat directions.
Remigijus Jodelis
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book, but still interesting. Too many rants about morality. I would recommend anyone intending to read this trilogy to have a short course in quantum theory first :)
Nicole Luiken
Strong opening as the consequences from book one catch up to our genius/con-man hero Belisarius. High stakes and some nice plot twists. I bogged down in the middle section before things picked up again at the end.

• The Cruel Stars
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • And Shall Machines Surrender
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Forbidden Stars (Axiom, #3)
  • The Outside
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Gamechanger
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Rebellion (Omega Force #11)
  • Cry Pilot
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference

The Quantum Evolution (2 books)
  • The Quantum Magician