Start by marking “SCOUT” as Want to Read:
SCOUT

SCOUT

Seventeen sucks.

It sucks when your Mom has dementia, and she believes it’s still the 1980s. But the greatest tragedy is when your Mom no longer recognises that you are her daughter.

Scout is her Mom’s only carer, and sometimes Mom goes AWOL - but Scout has a special knack of tracking her down, a sixth sense that is kept secret. Scout doesn’t want anyone to know that she
ebook
Published June 21st 2019 by Troubador Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about SCOUT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SCOUT

Start your review of SCOUT
Samhita Argula
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read! The book revolves around a girl who has the uncanny ability of finding things and the adventures that follow.

The writing flow is fluid, containing some very beautiful lines. The storyline is just the right amount of predictable, with enough callbacks.

The book has some wonderful characters like Mr. Dinkel, Moy and Scout herself. Mike initially seemed the guy every girl would fall in love with, but in the end he just seemed like a typical guy.

It's a terrific and a fast
Harriett Hendry
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a love for YA murder mystery novels, and I have read so many, but this book is a first for me. The way the mystery comes about is unique, I’ve never read anything like it.

There are so many other storylines written into the novel that the main plot is hard to distinguish. It feels like a naturally written plot line - so much so that the author makes Scout’s talent believable. She is a great character, strong but not to a point that it makes her difficult to relate to. All throughout the
Dora Okeyo
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I find quite intriguing about YA novels is that it always seems like the world is falling apart for the characters and as the reader you find yourself asking "how much can a teen take?"
However, I can step back and ask this now that I am way beyond my teens, but back then, even a simple conversation was enough to make me break down and it's the same theme here. Scout is 17 years old having to care for her mentally ill mother, who once bright and comprehensive, cannot even recall her own
Leah
Oct 09, 2019 is currently reading it
This book is so unique and personally I find so hard to categorise because I don’t want to do it any injustice and pigeon hole it in any way whatsoever. It’s part murder mystery, part coming of age and completely heartbreaking. I mean ugly crying - but the best kind.
Scout is a seventeen year old girl whom is the sole carer for her mum whom has early onset dementia. She is also extremely talented at finding things that are lost...even people.
Although this novel is in the YA category I can’t
Louise Emerson
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scout has had no choice but to look after her mother since she was 13. Now 17, Scout has missed out on a lot of hrr life. However as she is losing her mum to Alzheimer's she wouldn't have it any of her way.
When her Mum gets out accidentally. Scout is able to track her down. The police are impressed and urge for her help in some missing children's case.

This book covers two issues, a sick parent who has Alzheimer's and what life is like. Then it turns into mystery/thriller type. As when her Mum
teleri llinos
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Originally I was going to stop reading this book around the second chapter mark, but something in me decided I wanted to give it a chance so I continued reading and the book got better, slightly. Maybe it’s because I got an email asking for my feedback on the book, or maybe it’s because I’m a sucker for reviewing cringe-worthy books. And this one definitely is, I continued reading it.

Now, without giving to much away, this book follows Scout and Mike and a small handful of other characters that
Ivy Bookdragon
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scout is a great book for YA readers who want to try crime mixed with first love, mental health and unusual gifts.

Scout had to grow up fast and she is taking care of her mother while working in a cafe without seeing a chance to go to college.
One night, her mother wanders off and Scout has to find her, using her strong empathic gift. This way, she gets the attention of a police officer, who happens to be an old friend of her mother, who is searching for a missing child.
It turns out Scout's
Pam Chantrell
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Scout is a 17 year old girl who graduated high school early and is working in a coffee shop while supporting her mum who has dementia. Scout (and her mum) have a talent for finding lost things. This is put to good use when a child goes missing. I enjoyed Scout's story and found myself emotionally invested especially when she encounters Social Services. I surprised myself by reading this book in one evening - I had put it off because the blurb sounded a bit heavy - but I ...more
Kelly LaBouf
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lauren "Scout" Mann has her hands full. She graduated high school early so that she could be home more with her mother, Eileen, who was a victim to dementia. Scout also has a sixth sense type ability and she can track anything/anyone. In this book, The local police might be able to take advantage of this when a child goes missing. Between taking care of her mom and tracking down missing children, does Scout get to just be a teenager?
I loved this book so much! I was hooked immediately. Scout is
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I loved the premise for this and it’s such an interesting read, completely different from any YA I’ve read before. This is the kind of book. That once you pick it up you are really reluctant to put it down. Well rounded relatable characters, wonderful writing, great plot twists. This is a thoroughly entertaining story.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Annabelle Heath

This was a difficult one to arrange my thoughts about. On the one hand, it tackles the sensitive and difficult situation of child as career for parent, which I can only applaud the author for tackling. But on the other hand it doesn’t really come together as an effective story about either Scout’s loss of her mother, or the solving of the crime that makes up the bulk of the story.

Plus it bashes To Kill a Mockingbird, and I’m not cool with that.

First the mother plot, then. The story starts strong
Laurie Tell
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm fickle when it comes to books. If it doesn't grab me on the first page of two, I often won't buy it. Well, i received this book for free from the publisher and net galley, so I decided to give this a shot even though I wasn't instantly hooked. I am so glad I did!

I really enjoyed this book. It was a mystery with a slow burn romance. It was about a girl with a supernatural talent. It was about friendship, family and finding yourself.

I was drawn into the story and loved the characters.

The
Henriette
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC.

I very nearly did not read this story. I was only just getting started with it when I realized how Scout age 17 was constantly finding things that had been lost, like a paranormal talent and I thought:

I was definitely not in the mood for some unbelievable sci-fi story, but am quite happy I gave the book a chance after all. Sure the story was about Scout and how she ends up helping the cops find missing children, but the story was definitely more about her
Effy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book turned out to be very different than I expected but in all of the best ways. Despite having a supernatural ability, I found Scout highly relatable. This book was heartbreaking at times but in the most beautiful way. I found it impossible to stop once I started reading and would highly recommend it.
Elsa
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The premise of SCOUT was actually pretty interesting and engaging, not something I would usually read. Dementia, a murder and other various issues that faced the book gave it a lot of twists and turns, many that I didn't really see coming. Loved the writing :)

-Thank you for the ARC!
Lauren Alexander
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a good read. I liked how it gave you an inner monologue of Scouts thoughts, especially surrounding her mom. Good twists but not too many. Overall a good read and kept me interested.through out
Gay-Lynne
Sep 23, 2019
Michelle
Aug 12, 2019
Josiah Muldrow
Dec 04, 2019
Cristie Underwood
Jessica Guht
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2019
Aug 05, 2019
Crystal Wheeler Leighty
Aug 08, 2019
Sanjiv Lingard
Aug 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Bárbara

• Ağaçtaki Kız
  • Chasing Eden A Memoir
  • The Other Wife
  • A False Report: A True Story of Rape in America
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Hidden Lives of Jack the Ripper's Victims
  • The Boyfriend Experience
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Motherwhelmed