Start by marking “The Girl with the Golden Scissors: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Girl with the Golden Scissors: A Novel

The Girl with the Golden Scissors: A Novel

From the bestselling author of The Lioness of Morocco and The Elephant Keeper’s Daughter, the story of an ambitious young woman discovering friendship, love, and her own identity on the eve of World War I.

Christmas 1889. A baby is born in the early hours at Vienna General Hospital, only to be abandoned by her unwed mother and entrusted to a foundling home and its loving
Published January 21st 2020 by Amazon Crossing

To ask other readers questions about The Girl with the Golden Scissors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl with the Golden Scissors

Start your review of The Girl with the Golden Scissors: A Novel
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
How have I never heard of this author before!? I love that I still discover new authors! Her titles and covers are amazing!
Stephanie Kuehn
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I won a copy of this book through the giveaways page! I never read the synopsis of books nor reviews before reading. I literally decide whether to read/not read based on title, cover, or recommendations by a person. I’ve always loved historical fiction, even though this book some liberties (these were all outlined at the end of the book, which I loved), it was very representative of that time period. The book is wonderfully written & I felt like I really knew the characters. Throughout the ...more
Avigail
Thank you, Netgalley.com, for giving me a chance to read a free copy of The Girl With the Golden Scissors in exchange for a fair review.
Historical fiction is a genre I like to read during the winter months. The Girl With the Golden Scissors is the story of an illegitimate child of the Austro-Hungarian empire, became an independent woman, and an essential person in the fashion industry before and during WWI.
It is the first time that I am reading a book that the perspective is from the losing
Dionne Abouelela
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book. I found the characters rich and wound together in beautiful ways. I wanted to root for Fanny, and most importantly for me as a reader, I couldn't wait to see where her life took her. While I'm still processing the book, I will put a full review on my blog (dionneabouelela.com) shortly. At this time, kudos to the author and thank you for a beautiful story full of rich textiles, rich emotions, and unexpected developments.
MJ
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Kristina Ellis
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this book down! This would make a great movie.
Missy
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in Vienna in 1889. Fanny born in a hospital and given up and raised in what what was called foundling home for orphans. So many were mistreated and abused in foster care, that Josepha who had been working there for years, kept Fanny in the home and raised her. Fanny grew to be an independent woman who loved to sew!
"D'you know, I've been thinking about the first time we ever came here, and now this whole place is yours! I'm so proud of you. Not just for that but because of the way you didn't
Phronsie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read that this was sort of a historical romance and at first I was like, “Meh. Romance isn’t my thing.” Then I actually read it and went, “This is more like historical fiction with a little bit of romance thrown in!”

Time period: just before and during WWI
Setting: Europe, specifically Austria-Hungary

Oh, the things money can buy. Like anonymity during childbirth. The main character was born during Christmas to parents who wished to remain anonymous. Through a series of unfortunate events, she
Cindy Woods
Not very good.

This story of a Viennese girl born in a foundling home at the turn of the 20th century is very dry and shallow.

The main character, Fanny, is shallow and unlikeable. She is raised by an administrator of the foundling home and as she becomes old enough to go out into the world on her own she causes her own problems many times over.

The story is tedious and the plot is all over the map as Fanny works in various homes as a personal maid to wealthy girls. None of the characters have any
Denai Piscopo
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. An interesting historical fiction novel and an area of the world/war that I had no knowledge of. To be a child born into a Foundling Home and then to have many attempts to find parents never come to fruition must have been frustrating.
I love the character of Fanny Schindler. She is full of sass, but respect, friendship and love in all the right areas. What she goes through from such a young age, birth really and then to come out as the woman that she becomes is a testament to
Jan Carpenter
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good; not great!

This is a good book. I stop there with a simple phrase because it is just that, i.e., good. This is not a" must read" but it certainly does keep your interest and desire to read on. I think the ending is quite predictable and even knowing that, you will be anxious to read on. I enjoyed the diversity and phrases in German and French. These phrases were used superbly, even if you do not speak those languages. It's a good book; not great.
Lanie Randl
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book!!

Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down! The twist of Fanny being the Baroness's illegitimate daughter was a definite twist at the end. I would have liked to see both Fanny and Max being able to get married at the end though.
Pauline Easley
I won this book through goodreads. The story was easy enough to follow along and had some beautiful moments. Overall it was an okay story but not spectacular.
Patricia Davies
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book was very enjoyable to read. Will be excellent for those long journeys. I can honestly say I throughly enjoyed it.
Ute Loeffler
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl with the Golden Scissors

I enjoy novels that use history as background. Being German, made this story especially interesting. Plan to look for more books by this author.
Cathie Manley-mckenzie
Interesting Story, fairly enjoyable but predictable in a couple events. Obvious ending, or I'm a good guesser. Follows a Foundling thru her life , loves and losses, thrills and triumphs.
Bachrudin
Feb 07, 2020
Gerald W Young
Feb 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Emerald Affair (The Raj Hotel #1)
  • Regretting You
  • On Far Malayan Shores
  • Mustard Seed
  • Transformed: Devotions for a Woman’s Heart and Mind
  • Unashamed: Devotions and Prayers for a Burden-Free Heart
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • The Companion
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • Rockstar Grandparent: How You Can Lead the Way, Light the Road, and Launch a Legacy
  • The Crow's Call (Amish Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • An Orphan of Hell's Kitchen (Louise Faulk #3)
  • Bell Hammers
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Dream, Plan, and Go: A Travel Guide to Inspire Your Independent Adventure
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • Alone (The Girl in the Box, #1)
Das Autorenpaar Horst und Julia Drosten lebt im schönen grünen Münsterland und hatte schon immer den Wunsch, Bücher zu schreiben. Fast genauso viel Spaß, macht den beiden die Recherche. Sie flogen schon zusammen in einem alten Doppeldecker, sahen einem Landschlachter über die Schulter oder ließen sich von einer Kosmetikerin verwöhnen.

Ihr Bestseller "Die Löwin von Mogador" schaffte es im Juni 2014