Start by marking “Battle Ground (Battle Ground #1)” as Want to Read:
Battle Ground (Battle Ground #1)

Battle Ground (Battle Ground #1)

Sixteen-year-old Bex Ellman has been drafted into an army she doesn't support and a cause she doesn't believe in. Her plan is to keep her head down, and keep herself and her friends safe – until she witnesses an atrocity she can't ignore, and a government conspiracy that threatens lives all over the UK. With her loyalties challenged, Bex must decide who to fight for – and ...more
Published July 25th 2019 by Taller Books

To ask other readers questions about Battle Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Ground

Start your review of Battle Ground (Battle Ground #1)
K.S. Marsden
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Bex is drafted in, to protect people from the terrorists. Surely the government wouldn't lie about what is best for the country, and their agenda.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Bex and her best-friend Dan are drafted into the army, to help battle against terrorists. They are pulled away from college and marched to a training camp. Despite the intense work, they are proud to be doing their part for their country.

Coincidentally, their cl
Alan
A great debut novel from Rachel Churcher
Set against a backdrop of a near-future UK in turmoil, the book follows Bex and her group of friends as they struggle to come to terms with their situation. As events unfold, Bex is forced to choose sides as she tries to differentiate right from wrong.
Morally complicated and thought-provoking, the book is aimed at a Young Adult audience, but is equally gripping for an older audience and challenges your thinking throughout.
Jasmine
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Battle Ground is the first book in a new series set in a dystopian future where the army recruits teenagers and trains them to make citizens feel safe from the terrorist threats that seem to be happening more and more frequently.

Bex, the main character, is in the army with her friend Dan. Their other friend, Margie, has deserted them and taken off with a school teacher who believes the government is lying about the threats.

Dan is determined to prove his worth in the army, but Bex doesn't care
Jessica Belmont
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Battle Ground is a YA Dystopian, and I am so happy I had a chance to read it! I love Dystopians because they are always eerily possible. Just one small change in the way a government is run, and we could easily live like this. I love that. Battle Ground feels really relevant and I love when fictional books do that.

The characters are very realistic. It’s interesting to see the weight of each decision and how it impacts the story later on. Trying to decide who to trust is not easy for
Yvonne
4.5 Stars rounded up.
This is a dystopian story that is aimed at Young Readers, and I have to say this Older Reader really enjoyed it as well. Living in the UK for Bex and her friends is different, there are tensions about which side should be supported. Misinformation and fake news make it difficult for the friends to know which is the right side to be on, or even if there is a right side.

There is the side of the Government, surely they have the nations best interests at heart.
Joe
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in a near future Britain where teenagers are conscripted into the government’s front-line against terrorism, Battle Ground is a compelling read that feels like it’s not too far off from current events. Bex Ellman is a believable hero and her antagonists equally so. It looks like this is going to be a series and it’s off to a great start. (My review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher.)
Lorraine
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, dystopian
I enjoyed this first book of this new series. A dystopian story set in the not too distant future of the UK. It's aimed at Young Adults, but perfectly suitable for older readers too.

Bex Ellman and her friend, Dan are conscripted into the army, while their other friend Margie has disappeared along with a teacher to join the 'terrorists'. As recruits Bex, Dan and other teens are put through a harrowing training regime, merely to be shown off to the public to prove that they are safe fr
Fany van  hemelen
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an action driven thought-provoking dystopian young adult

OH, this is a book I almost read in one time. The story about Bex and Dan is so thrilling that I can’t put it down.
Bex and Dan are schoolmates and both have big plans to do with their life. In the dystopian UK everything changes when the government is deciding to protect the citizens against the terrorists. When I saw this situation I know this could be today a realistic event. Our society is afraid of the bad terrori
Paperbacks
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Battle Ground is a story that immediately resonated with me as a huge fan of Dystopia and especially to have one in an UK, near future setting ticked so many boxes. To start with I was so happy that the Author had put a pronunciation guide at the FRONT of the book, so often these are at the end and then I find out I've been saying something wrong in my head for hundreds of pages!  With the UK on the verge of martial law everything feels very bleak, empty and cold. The very stark "them and us" fe ...more
Lucy-May
I was obsessed with this story from the outset & am completely taken with the plot & characters; this isn’t necessarily the type of book I would normally read, but I’m so glad I have done & I wish I could read all the books back-to-back starting now. I love Our Girl & the start of the book started off feeling quite similar to the show... but after a short while this book became incredibly unique & I can’t believe I have to wait until September (which may not seem like a long time ...more
James
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and pacy, this first novel vividly describes a dystopian future that seems all too plausible. The first person narrative is compelling and the story is engaging.
Erin Swan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a dystopian novel in a long time, and this was a good reintroduction to the genre. Based in the near future, it's almost frightening to see the parallels between our own society and this world where people sign over their freedoms to feel safer, and where the people meant to protect us are the greatest threat. The author did a good job of making a believable world and shocking you with some of the things happening.

My only complaint is that it got off to a slow start. I
Joyce Van noten
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books, yalc
This was an amazing book. Warning: this is part of a series so even though the book is great, it does built a picture for all the coming books. Just for those people who are difficult about those kind of things. Give it a chance and it will definitely surprise you in a positive way.
Fran Clarke
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super quick read, very fast paced and action packed.
Julia Blake
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Brit, to say I’m concerned about the whole Brexit situation would be an understatement. So, when I spotted this new near future dystopian series set in the UK, post Brexit and post Scottish Independence, I was intrigued enough to purchase a copy.

To say it makes for uncomfortable reading is putting it mildly, as the story it tells is one that feels so frighteningly plausible and so close to our current situation that it truly chills one to the bone. Britain is now practically a m
Allyseria
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
First of all, I absolutely loved this book. In fact, it easily places in my list of top ten favourites. It’s a page-turner, and I read it in just a couple of days. I loved Bex, the main character, who's also a strong female protagonist who doesn’t rely on anybody. Despite this, she’s not a Mary Sue. She makes genuine mistakes, and not the obvious mistakes that some authors tend to make solely to prove to readers they’re not Mary Sues. And it’s so refreshing to read a character just like her. ...more
Becky Corlett
Oct 04, 2019
Ben Cummings
Aug 09, 2019
Rachel Churcher
Jul 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dan Lutts
Aug 24, 2019
Blue
Sep 01, 2019

• The Age of Akra
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • The Fourth Victim
  • Faeries of Saizia
  • The Pale
  • Tangled Roots (Tangled Magic #1)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Broad Plain Darkening
  • The Ruined Land
  • Visions of Zarua
  • Empire's Daughter (Empire's Legacy 1)
  • The Museum of Second Chances (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #1)
  • Avalon Hall
  • A Tale of Stars and Shadow
  • The Haunting at Paradise House
  • Jay-Jay and the Carnival
  • The Kid
My Post-Brexit YA dystopia series is available on Amazon. Download Book One, Battle Ground , Book Two, False Flag , and Book Three, Darkest Hour for Kindle. Paperbacks are also available, and you'll find all three books on Kindle Unlimited. For help with international downloads, visit the Taller Books website.

Book Four, Fighting Back , is coming on November 28th!

For a FREE tie-in novella, Making Trouble, vi