Start by marking “The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)

The Rat-Catcher's Daughter

(Lilywhite Boys 0.5)

Music-hall singer Miss Christiana is in serious debt, and serious trouble. She owes more than she can pay to a notorious criminal, and now he plans to make an example of her. There's no way out.

But Christiana has an admirer. Stan Kamarzyn has watched her sing for a year and he doesn't want to see her get hurt. Stan's nobody special--just a dodgy bloke from Bethnal Green--b
ebook
Expected publication: September 25th 2019 by KJC Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rat-Catcher's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rat-Catcher's Daughter

K.J. Charles
Jul 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A Lilywhite Boys short story, in which we meet Miss Christiana, the music-hall songstress, and Stan Kamarzyn, the Lilywhite Boys' fence. Plus Templeton and Jerry at play, two years before Any Old Diamonds and Gilded Cage. This story was a lot of fun to write and fills in a few of the gaps from the full-length books--hope you enjoy it!
Jen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was excited to receive an ARC and couldn’t put it down.

Christiana is a joy, Stan is a dear, and this book is a delight from beginning to end.

(view spoiler)
Lou
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this novelette and enjoyed it thoroughly. First, it was great to see the Lilywhite Boys again - Any Old Diamonds immediately shot to the top of my favorites list for KJC books (yes, I've read it twice already) so I loved seeing Jerry and Templeton again in all their wild and vaguely sadistic glory. Second, overall I felt like the pacing was pretty good. A lot of authors struggle with the pacing of stories this length, especially when those stories are romances ...more
Didi
3.5 Stars

“The Rat-Daughter’s Catcher” might be a short read, but what a fun, sweet, and engaging ride it was! More than a romance, it’s also a story of friendship and acceptance, loyalty and chosen family, as told in alternate voice from the pair of misfits leading characters; Christiana and Stan.

Those who have read Charles’ “Any Old Diamonds” may recognize Christiana as the (singing) performer the Lilywhite Boys and Alec watched in the music hall on the first chapter of the book. This prequel
pauliree
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I signed up for an ARC on the KJ Charles Chat fan group, so full disclosure, I'm already a massive fan of the author. Also full disclosure, I enjoyed Lilywhite boys very much and this is a short 17000 word prequel which I finished in less than an hour before I had to go to work.

The blurb lets you know what you're in for, classic KJ Charles hijinks, (even, dare we hope it, a murder? - sorry, in-joke for the fan girls), thievery in Victorian London, and in this case, a damsel in distress.

My feelin
Tora
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be sent an arc of this lovely little novella by the author.

I'll be honest, I was always going to love this story. KJ Charles writing a trans, ace romance was always going to be perfect for me, and it really, really was.

This is a pretty short story without an awful lot of plot, though what action there is is involving. The Lilywhite boys are a delight every second they're on the page, and there are also two cameos from other books that made me shriek with joy.

I loved Stan an
StarStruck
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

This is an absolutely heart warming story of two non-traditional MCs finding romance.

Miss Christiana has worked hard to carve out a life as a music hall performer, it gives her a place where she feels safe being herself. So it's really quite unfair that she's at risk of losing it all due to the vindictiveness of the thug who owns her debt. Stan is just a normal, slightly dodgy, bloke but he does have some very scary friends who may be able to help.

T
stormew
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novelette follows Lilywhite Boys side-characters Stan and music-hall performer Miss Christiana. Having enjoyed Any Old Diamonds thoroughly, I was hopeful about this one, and, indeed, it's a joy. Miss Christiana is trans and ace and shines onstage with poise and panache; Stan is ace and 'dodgy' and prefers to go unnnoticed by most; it's wonderful seeing their relationship blossom from one-sided admiration into a true, intimate sort of love.

Plus, more Jerry and Templeton being ruthless for pe
Lian Tanner
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
I have become a big fan of KJ Charles's books over the last year, and was very pleased to get an ARC of this novella, which is a charming (and occasionally frightening) interlude involving two people on the edge of society. Charles writes beautifully and her characters are (as always) well-fleshed out and believable, as is the violent world this particular story inhabits. But despite the violence - which intrudes twice - there's a real gentleness about The Rat-Catcher's Daughter, and a delight t ...more
Linz
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was super lucky to receive an ARC of this book and it is brilliantly realised book at just 17000 words. I remembered Miss Christiana from Any Old Diamonds and the music hall scene.
The relationship between Miss Christiana and Stan was simply beautiful, as romantic as i could hope for and Temp and Jerry were entertaining and amoral and loyal and could've easily stolen the focus, but instead added another fun layer to this 'rollicking' tale.
Now the patient wait for Susan's HEA.
Alicia
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was purely lovely. I prefer longer works—I don't believe "too much of a good thing" exists—but as novelettes (I think) go, this was a delight. KJ Charles is always excellent, of course. I hope the Lilywhite Boys have a good long run, and I look forward to seeing more of Christiana and Stan. My thanks to the author for an advance copy.
Kaetrin
KU2
added it
Abhi
Jul 23, 2019
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

Lilywhite Boys (3 books)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)