Start by marking “One Star” as Want to Read:
One Star

One Star

Every action has a consequence. But when Li posts a one-star review of a novel on her book blog, the results are far more frightening than she could ever have imagined.

Not every story was meant to have a happy ending.

ONE STAR is a previously unpublished horror short story, being released in The Behrg's upcoming short story collection--"The Passengers You Cannot See." It i
Published July 20th 2019 by Pricks Like Thorn Media

To ask other readers questions about One Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Star

Maureen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars *

As a book loving community here on Goodreads, we each create a platform in order to share our thoughts on various books, but of course, reading is a subjective matter, and our own background, life experiences, or culture can dictate how we view a particular story, but I doubt that any of us would intend to cause distress to an author. However, this is exactly what Li does when she posts a 1 star review for William Han’s ‘Lost Roll of Film’ little realising that it will be the final
Lisa
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Yes, this went from a 4 star to a 3. I didn't even review this shortie, but the fact that I'm still thinking of it says later? Usually that's a good thing! This time though is different. Maybe, just maybe, I didn't like the subterfuge of the character. Lately, I've run into some shady author's and their "friends." Friends who are in fact themselves! This is not a denouement of The Berg! It's just the fact that some authors should come with a warning sign! I actually enjoyed the ingenuity of the ...more
Bark
Shelves: dark-fiction
I am not going to lie, I was scared to death to start this short story. The title is "One Star" and if you've been around the block as many times as I have, you already know how treacherous the world of the one star review can be for the reviewer. If the author is sensitive, having a bad day or simply cannot take any criticism about their book baby they and/or their fans could drop a world of hurt on you for ruining their career (when in reality their tantrum is likely the thing that'll do it). ...more
Ceecee
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking

The narrator of the story Li, makes it clear that when you write a review you aren’t attacking the author but explaining why the book didn’t work for you. In my case, sometimes it’s mood but most likely because I didn’t care for the way it was written. ‘Reading is a subjective experience...’. The story is very clever, it’s short and to the point. I like what the author has to say at the end of the book. It won’t stop me being honest as someone will agree with me and as The
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, The Behrgs’ book, what can I say?

Firstly, I had to read it twice because it was one of those books. It was also very short, only 17 pages. But, OH MY DAYS, what a clever bloke you are Mr Behrg!

I’m not going to give anything away on the synopsis, you can get the lowdown here on Goodreads.

What I will say though is this;

If you’re a book blogger, reviewer, dark horror fan who doesn’t get too triggered by stuff, ‘ave a gander at this one.

To say this is a unique story is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I’ve
Michael Hicks
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review of ONE STAR can be found at High Fever Books.

One Shot, a 17-page short story and the latest release from The Behrg, tells the brief story of a book blogger signing off for the final time. A short time prior, her critical one-star review of Jaxon Creed’s newest work tipped the author over the edge and he committed suicide live on Facebook. What follows is her response to her readers, her philosophies on reviewing, and her role in the author’s public demise.

As both an author and a review
Meenaz Lodhi
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Never let someone else silence your voice. Until you discover at least, that you must silence your own.”
This has been a completely unexpected story! Short but concise. Just when I got to terms with what Li was writing and experiencing, a huge turn and macabre twist appears! Lol. I loved it! To what lengths will an author go, how reviews affect the authors and emotional upheavals is the storyline. I’m looking forward to reading the soon to release anthology by The Behrg!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

One Star is only 17 pages in length and it is a story that anyone who has ever written a review needs to read. It will only take you around ten-to-fifteen minutes and it is well worth it. I have read the story three times now and each time I am left in awe at how clever it is.

Li is the blogger at Modern Maiden of Horror and after a recent tragedy, she is writing her last blog post.
Jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
All my reviews (including one star reviews) can be found at http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~
This review will appear on my site on August 4, 2019.
~~~~~
This short story packs quite the punch in its short 17 pages! It is also currently free on Amazon and serves as a thank you from the author The Behrg to book bloggers and book reviewers. I know my blog is not a huge one, but my reviews get seen and what happens if you don’t like a book? What if the author sees your lower starred review even thou
Bill
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great one from The Behrg. I have enjoyed his work in the past and if this story is any indication of the quality of his upcoming short story collection "The Passengers You Cannot See" then I am chomping at the bit to get to it.

Quick and entertaining with a very nice turn or two thrown in for good measure. This is how shorts should be done.

4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 because this story has stuck with me ever since I read it.

*I received a free copy of this work from the author in exchang
Steve Stred
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Opening paragraphs can turn a reader off as quickly as a 3 am infomercial.”

How do you even write a review on a short story (about 20 pages) that is both an ode to reviewers but focuses on the absolutely darkest side of reviewing?

The Behrg messaged me and asked if I was at all checking out his short story and I said absolutely. I didn’t expect what was inside. He gave me the basic premise – what happens when a one-star review from a book blogger/reviewer causes the author so much grief that they
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m going to read it a few more times 😂
August Is Azathoth HPL 129 August 20!
I've read enough from this always darkly imaginative author to know the only rule in his creations is: Close my eyes. Hold on. Don't fall off the roller coaster. Enter his latest, ONE STAR, an enterprising short story about a book blogger who gives a novel only "one star." Okay, thought I: surely criticized author will come gunning (or knifing, or axeing, or blowtorching) for Intrepid Blogger. Ha! I must remember who wrote this story! I loved it!!
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a clever, short and enjoyable story!

Check it out, it's free too!
Becca
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to The Behrg for providing me with a copy of One Star in exchange for an honest review!

One Star is truly something special. The Behrg wrote this as a (very twisted) love letter to book bloggers & reviewers. In fact, this book can be acquired for FREE as a thank you.

Thankfully, my experiences as a reviewer has been nothing but fantastic. However, I’ve heard the real life horror stories of being contacted by the author, because you didn’t like their book & gave them a less than f
Glenn  Parker
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Updated review. I originally gave it 3 stars because it was a short read and didn't require a lot of investment etc but I've been thinking and talking about it since reading it yesterday morning. A short read that stays with you for a long time.

Awesome little read! a lot packed into a few pages! loved it
The Behrg
Jul 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I can now officially announce my newest release, available on all ebook platforms for FREE. This is a horror story dedicated to book bloggers and book reviewers. Thank you for all you do!

I hope you enjoy the dark side of reviewing. :)
Robert
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This gets more than 1 star!

I did consider giving just one star, just to be a stirrer, but didn't want to incite any violence against myself or civic unrest on the rest of the world, so I gave 5 stars instead.

I've read a few of The Behrg's books, and this is the quickest and probably the best so far. It turned out to be more thought-provoking than I expected. Knowing a number of people who struggle with mental health issues, and having a couple issues myself, I related to the idea that one tiny (
Dr Rashmit Mishra
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read for everyone who likes to review

A short novella , 17 pages in length , this book starts to deal with negative reviews and their repercussions .

We read the book from the perspective of Li , as she starts writing her final blog post , addressing the fallout of her last blog post , which was a one star review that led to the reviewed author committing suicide .

As a short story , the book has an intriguing plot with a finale that I didn't see coming , but where this book really works i
Rebecca Crunden
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Even her thoughts are open to revision.

A very interesting short story.
Anthony Castellino
Nice twist

Should have been a bit longer, a little more fleshing out of the main character, but otherwise good little demonstration of mindfuckery.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm reading and loving the hell out of IT at the moment, but while sorting out one of my Paperwhites, decided to read this.

It's not long, so I read it in one sitting.

Li is a book blogger who gives honest ratings and reviews to the books she reads. However, her latest one-star review hit the author hard and turned into a tragedy...

That's all I'm going to say about the plot. After all, it's a short story. Plus, I don't want to spoil anything because this shortie is a doozy. It packs quite a punch
Chris
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always a pleasure

Cool short story by The Berg with a clever twist to boot. Definitely worth a read and maybe even a re-read.
Dan Earl
A Harbinger of Wonderfully Terrible Things to Come

This is a great piece of fiction. It's creative and witty in the best way possible. As a lead in to a forthcoming collection of short stories this is a great whistle wetter, like a cold one after writing a blog post.
Andy Cole
Aug 11, 2019
Andrew Cull
Jul 29, 2019
Sophie Groth
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2019
Betty
Jul 31, 2019
My writing career began in the third grade when tasked with an assignment to write about rain. I opted to tell the story of a raindrop who decided life wasn't worth living and leapt to his death only to discover that really he was being reborn. (You know that whole life-cycle thing).

Yeah, I was a little twisted even back then. Thankfully my teacher encouraged my writing rather than send me for a