Start by marking “Piloting Your Life” as Want to Read:
Piloting Your Life

Piloting Your Life

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  28 ratings  ·  29 reviews
ARE YOU FEELING BLINDSIDED BY MIDLIFE?

You’re not alone and you’re not crazy. Our current culture tells us that midlife (ages 40-65) is a time of unraveling, chaos, and uncertainty for women. This doesn’t have to be true.

MIDLIFE IS AN OPPORTUNITY, NOT A CRISIS

Our bodies, minds, and lives are changing. Many of us feel off balance, wondering if this is all there is?
Some of
Published September 1st 2019 by Class Bravo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Piloting Your Life, please sign up.
Terri Mead Alicia. Thanks for the question. While the focus of the book is on women in midlife, regardless of whether they have started, are in, or have…moreAlicia. Thanks for the question. While the focus of the book is on women in midlife, regardless of whether they have started, are in, or have completed the menopause transition, the messages and information in the book are applicable to all women who want greater permission to design and live a life of their own design. I hope you enjoyed the book! Terri(less)

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Karen Salay
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Midlife is tough for women. Reading "Pilot Your Life" is like having someone who can see into your soul and give you support. As a woman over 40, we were raised to "please people". We navigated and succeeded at work because we could be a chameleon. We were raised to never let anyone see you "weak". Now, halfway thru our lives, we need to organize our house. Pilot Your Life is a great guide to organizing your life and provides the support of a good friend to go thru that journey.
Terri Mead
Aug 05, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Piloting Your Life (the book) is now available in paperback, audio book, and ebook!

More info and resources can be found at: https://www.pilotingyourlife.com/

From one of my early readers (thanks, Candice):
After reading Piloting Your Life, I actually feeling like I’ve stepped back into my own skin for the first time in a year and I’m moving forward with confidence and getting shit done (finally).

I started the book last Sunday. On Monday I had a my last pity party. Tuesday I saw the light. By Thur
Vanessa
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like her focus on this book of a specific generational time. In some ways I wish I had this book five years ago, but I'm not sure I would have had time to read it. Even though Terri has many different perspectives in this book, I think there could have been a chapter devoted to parenting young children in midlife. It is much more difficult with these constraints to feel free to pursue your passions, let alone find time to pause and reflect.

All that said, I downloaded a copy of the Flight Plan
Maria Babilon
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fiercely inspirational book

Terri Hanson Mead has accomplished an insightful and witty book intended to be shared with like-minded women. In Piloting Your Life, Terri illustrates in an easy to read format, a roadmap for middle aged women. Terri tackles formerly taboo topics such as hormones, menopause, and anxiety and delivers practical advice as well as references and quotations from experts who you can relate to.

Piloting Your Life is a great read because it is pragmatic and fun at the same time
Alicia
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terri's book is well researched, funny, and easy to read.

For too long we've felt uncomfortable talking about menopause, ignoring how we feel about it, or how we can improve how we feel pre-during-post menopause. We've forgotten to speak up, to request more and better information, explore how we are changing and the impact of these changes, pretending "nothing" is happening.

As a post-menopause 'survivor' I welcomed this refreshing book. It is well researched, funny, easy to read, and gives a to
Katie Cross
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I'm not the target demographic for this book, I still absolutely loved it.

There's authenticity, validation, permission, and openness in every page. Not only does it specifically help Gen X women, but it also helps ALL women because it truly starts the discussion on midlife. It opens doors that I think women haven't thought to open before, or have been afraid to.

Whatever your life stage, you can benefit from this book. But you know anyone in midlife that needs to know they're not alone, o
Kris
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As my child leaves for college and I'm facing an empty nest, I'm feeling both a sense of loss and a sense of bafflement: What's next? Where do I go from here? Who the hell am I anymore, and who was I before I had kids? I vaguely remember that person, the one with ambition, motivation, and boundless energy. The confident person who didn't hesitate to argue a point, talk to a stranger, or take on a challenge----I was always sure I was up for it. Somewhere in the last 25 years, I've lost my way. Pa ...more
Pam
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is INCREDIBLE, one day I was totally binge reading for hours, I just couldn't stop drinking in all the astounding inspirational stories and insights into this difficult, confusing, and down right shitty life change called menopause. I think I started perimenopause in my mid-40's and at about 51 I started to get night sweats and had that sinking feeling that "it" was happening it to me. The most frustrating part was my husband (at the time) didn't believe me…can you believe that? Really ...more
Cynthia Rogan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Piloting Your Life could not have come along at a better time for me. The stories from the other women are wonderful to hear. The stories validate thoughts and identified feelings I never could put a finger on before. The ‘limiting beliefs’ that creep into your psyche. Many times it’s been hard to identify what has been holding me back.

I feel lifted and empowered by the strength of these women that Terri has found on her journey. Terri’s personal experience is a positive influence and she is a
Leonora Keeton
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book... Super fast read because it's all such great information. Pretty much sat down and read it in 2 sittings... The order and layout of each new topic was great. She did a great job of showing us how to keep these (often times) difficult situations in see them in a positive light while still validating that the process sucks sometimes. Sometimes it is really hard work. It's ok to not always be "Little Miss Sunshine"... I get tired of being told to "let it go" (kind of a ...more
Imène Maharzi
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not your everyday self-care book! Would you rather indulge yourself with a rich chocolate truffle or a fast eaten, fast forgotten snack?

Piloting your life is full of informative, eye-openers gems, which will probably stick in you for a while. Letting them simmer is clearly part of the experience.

I did not think I was concerned (yet) by the topic of the book... but I realize I am, as is any woman really. The book can be used as a good introduction for digging more into your particular concerns, w
Maria Malavenda
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To all you fabulous women - this book is for you. Can you say - "let the light shine on me - on us"? This has been one of the best reads in a long time. Terri has done a brilliant job of providing funny quips, anecdotes, and simple guided chapters to what it means to enter the most fabulous time of our lives. Well - at least that's how I now feel. This book is validating that we don't need permission to live the life we want.

Piloting Your Life gave real insights in the real shit that happens to
Kristy
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve now read Terri’s book twice, from two perspectives. Each time, I’ve come to the same conclusion...this is a book for everyone, no matter the age. The positive ideas you glean for going forward apply to all, not just women. For those facing menopause, here’s a handbook that will cheer you, make you chuckle, make you take stock of your life and look forward to the future.

I’m well beyond menopause and wish I’d had this information as I struggled with issues. It never dawned on me that I was g
Jodi Lasky
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Women talk about EVERYTHING, no matter HOW personal it is (and sometimes, the more personal the better) from, well, way before we are women. But, for various reasons, that doesn't seem to cover changing bodies as we age.

In Piloting Your Life, Terri not opens the discussions - and reading it feels more like chatting with a best friend than it does reading a book - but also asks the questions that we would normally ask each other anyway, leading the way to conversations with your IRL BFFs.

Thank
Kristine Ashcraft
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book were around when I turned 40. I'm glad it's around as I head into 45. It's appalling that there is such a dearth of information on what women experience in middle age. I wish this guidebook were around sooner, but it's still a gem today.
Casey
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wondering how to interpret your (newly) jumbled and crazy midlife existence? This book is for you! A delightful blend of humor, research, and anecdotes, all cleverly woven into a topic-based chapters that make you feel like just maybe you haven’t actually lost all your marbles!! This book is a great gift for your friends and confidantes who are preparing for takeoff with you: you can share some laughs at your book club gatherings, or use the chapter topics as ice breakers for ladies night.... or ...more
Carrie A Gazda
I'm not alone

Didn't realize I was in my "midlife" until recently but this book made me feel like it was ok and normal. Apparently I am in good company! Terri lays it all out - every question, every doubt, every thought is met with validation. Even things I never truly thought were being experienced by others. I feel like I am in a sisterhood. So many tools that are offered I will be using from this day forward. Thank you Terri for your uncomfortable honesty! I will eat the last damn cupcake and
Michele
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much more than self help. More like sitting down with a trusted friend on a couch and sharing stories. It feels comfortable and approachable, but informative, too.

Women approaching midlife can definitely gain from this book, but I would say it would also benefit younger women for knowing what they could go through later, as well as men who can gain important insight as to what their partners, wives and mothers are going through.

This is a book that helps you feel empowered, gives you informa
Ann
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Piloting Your Life offers a fresh perspective on how to make midlife your best chapter. Terri provides a roadmap and practical guidance on reframing this period in a positive way and rejecting how society has historically framed it for us. It's a book that will inspire and empower you to shed old baggage, define your next act, and move forward with courage. I consider it essential reading for every midlife woman from 40 on up!
Patty Nykodym
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to educate women on a vast array of the physical, mental and social impacts of midlife. And Terri does it with a sense of humor and a few "f-bombs" thrown in for good measure. While the book is a "quick read", the big benefit will be using this as resource guide later and to circle back to the questions of reflection at the end of each chapter. As a woman that is in midst of midlife (I am 56) and all it has to offer, I hadn't thought much about the changes that I felt me ...more
Dedra Chamberlin
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was full of inspiration, from Terri's stories of her own life, to the stories she shares from the women she interviewed (who are navigating midlife from many perspectives), to references to reading material that I'm exciting about exploring next. As a middle-aged woman with teenaged kids and aging parents, I was buoyed by stories of women like me. There were also some great practical tips. The flying analogy worked really well, and I look forward to using Terri's "flight pl ...more
monicadear
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was happy for these practical and empathetic tips and stories - a great guide for how to make the most out of this time of life.
Jacqueline Steenhuis
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is giving me a whole new perspective on this time in my life. Things that I thought were isolated malaise that I couldn’t do anything about are related to midlife. It makes sense. Kids have predictable and age related developmental stages. Why not adults? But nobody tells us that.
This book does! And it shares stories of other women going through very similar experiences and research to help me understand what is going on. This book gives me hope that through understanding what is norm
Susan Sierota
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a mind blowing read…deeply inspired!

Finally, a book that drives the conversation around midlife, menopause, aging, and taking the opportunity to explore who we are and who we choose to become. I am not alone, I am not crazy, and I deserve to own my badassness as it was earned honestly. I love the candor around topics that traditionally have been not discussed. I love the non-judgmental tone and all the inspirational stories from all different types of women. I love the humor and the consta
Tina Gregory
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written in a compelling and instantly inclusive way, Piloting Your Life brings the neglected opportunities of life beyond 40 into focus, convincing those of us who fear age (and change) that progression is freedom, and those of us who have always viewed life as a beautifully building symphony, that the continuing path just gets better. I have read and re-read this book three times, and with each reading, find a quote or a vignette that resonates.
Terri's analogy of midlife as a new puberty is i
Katie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness this book was written exactly when I needed it. I had been asking “is this all there is” and “is this my life”…and one of those phrases is exactly what is asked in the book. How funny I always thought of my 40s as the slide into retirement. Society sure does a number on our expectations in life. This book was just what I needed to consider what MY expectations were and challenge my own “status quo”. What is my purpose?

Reading this book was like a guidepost for what to question in
Pam
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At almost 57 years old, I was wondering whether I would get much new insight into midlife by reading this book or would read the topics and go “oh yeah, I already went through that”. I was pleasantly surprised! Terri Hanson Mead has written a book that I feel I could have benefited from in my 30s, 40s, 50s and even still might into my 60s. The topics ranged from health, anxiety, awareness, parenting, work, sex, letting go and so much more. I spent the last 6 years of my life in a battle with bre ...more
Jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Piloting Your Life was a quick read, but I spent hours, sometimes days reflecting on the similarities I had with the author. As a woman entering midlife, I could relate to so many of the stories and anecdotes. I enjoyed the whimsical tone, yet serious research that went into the findings Terri Hanson Mead shared with us. I recommend this book to women of any age because knowledge is power, and it is better to find out now ladies.
Susanne Biro
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant and funny as hell! Excellent (and just enough) research and the writing is superb! It is such a great read - easy and informative, I snorted out loud several times while reading it! I often have 10 books on the go and change titles as I get tired of one topic ... but I couldn’t put this one down. If you are a woman nearing 40, 50 or 60, this awesome read is here to make you laugh, feel sane, and to help you chart your next, new bold chapter in life. BRILLIANT.
Susan
Jos Cocquyt
Sep 08, 2019
Lesley A
Sep 09, 2019
Terri Hanson Mead is a commercially-rated helicopter pilot in the San Francisco Bay Area. She’s passionate about encouraging women to live their best lives, free of barriers and restrictions.

Terri has always lived boldly and is known for inspiring other women to do the same. She recognizes that while she has a strong internal compass and has defined her life’s vision, some women, as they enter mid
“Midlife blindsided me; I was totally unprepared for it. No one told me what to expect. No one told me how to prepare. No one told me how to take advantage of it. As I opened up to other women about some of these things, I learned I was not alone and decided to do something about it.” 1 likes
“Our enemy is not age, but the media and product companies creating—or capitalizing on—the insecurities of aging women. The pressure to always be more of something, less of something else, and to walk the tightrope of acceptable behavior, is ridiculous. I, for one, would like to see more campaigns that stop putting women in tidy, little boxes.” 0 likes