Start by marking “What the Other Three Don't Know” as Want to Read:
What the Other Three Don't Know

What the Other Three Don't Know

Will I still be loved if I show people who I really am?

Four high school seniors. Four secrets about to be told.

If Indie had it her way, she would never choose to river raft with three other high school seniors, mostly strangers to each other, from her journalism class.

A loner, a jock, an outsider, an Instagram influencer. At first they can’t see anything that they
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about What the Other Three Don't Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Other Three Don't Know

Start your review of What the Other Three Don't Know
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of WHAT THE OTHER THREE DON’T KNOW by Spencer Hyde in exchange for my honest review.***

Four very different teens dealing with various challenges/secrets on a school trip.

Since Karen McManus’s wildly successful ONE OF US IS LYING, other books have tried to use the same Breakfast Club framework of storytelling. Unfortunately , the blurb for WHAT THE OTHER THREE DON’T KNOW is the best part of Spencer Hyde’s sophomore effort.

Andria Sedig
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I really loved the blend of YA contemporary, survival, and heartwarming beats within this novel. I felt like, at first, I didn't enjoy the cast of characters but as their layers pealed back I found myself loving them more and more. Indie's journey of coming to terms with her mother's death felt natural and poignant. I really appreciated that each character had something unsuspected about them, showing that people can't be judged by appearances (which is exactly what Indie was doing). I enjoyed ...more
Azu
"A loner, a jock, an outsider, an Instagram influencer."... few words but enough to catch all my attention, I'm all about friendship between perfect opposites, found family is one of my favourite trope EVER and I was literally sparkling with excitation when I got approved for an ARC.

Before starting, I would like to precise that I'm an adult and I think I would have loved this more as a teenager (which is good as it's destined to teenagers). Teen me would have less focalized on thing like "but
Michelle
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Indie has had a hard time with life and school since her mom died. She’s being raised by her grandfather. She’s lonely but keeps people at a distance.

Before senior year of high school, her class is brought on a wilderness trip. The class is broken into groups and given an activity. Indie’s group is rafting. Supposedly the groups were chosen at random and no one can change the group or activity they
were assigned.

Here’s why that sucks for Indie, her mom died on a rafting trip.

Here’s where it’s
Melinda
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
"A loner, a jock, an outsider, an Instagram influencer." The premise reminded me of a modern day Breakfast Club or the new Jumanji movie, and I was totally here for that.

For different reasons, Indie, Skye (with an e), Shelby and Wyatt all find themselves on the same class trip. I really had to work hard to ignore the unrealistic nature of the extreme river rafting that these four high schoolers were expected to participate in.

I found the first third of the book a little difficult to get into due
Laurie Tell
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved several things about this book. I loved the characters and how they rang true. I loved the growth that each of them showed, and their developing relationships. I loved the writing, and how it drew me into the story. I loved that this book was a little different.

So why isn't this 5 stars? Most of this book takes place during a white water rafting trip and there were several terms i didn't understand. There was one place that was so technical to me that I skimmed a few pages just to get
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a book I feel like I should have enjoyed. It's the kind of book I typically enjoy, after all. But I honestly came away from this feeling pretty cold. The plot set-up is super contrived, but that's fine; I've read that in other YA before. The problem is, the story felt really disjointed, and I never truly connected with any of the characters. They kind of just existed there, with their fairly middle-of-the-road secrets. Meh.
Brooke
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion and review. I loved the growth of these characters. Going through something as traumatic as this really changed each one of our characters. I loved the team work and the honesty that each one brought to this story. Indie is so strong and towards the end, I was really proud of her. Forgiveness can be a difficult thing, and she was able to forgive Nash for everything.
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion and review. Just could not get into this book. I felt like even though the characters were revealing themselves to us, I still didn't really know who they were. Yes, I know their faults and what they hid, but I didn't really know who they were before this rafting trip. I feel YA readers who are looking for something light might like it.
Michelle
Dec 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like this book, but found myself disappointed by this author again. He managed to build an intriguing premise and start a story with a solid foundation. The start has me interested in where this would go.
Amber Linnenkamp
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What The Other Three Don't Know by Spencer Hyde is a story about loss, forgiveness, chaos, and finding light through darkness. This intense story, about how four teens from different social groups come together to survive their perilous journey by opening up their secrets to each other and learning to accept themselves, will leave you wanting more from Hyde.
Rachel Stansel
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
A pretty typical YA book about four very different teens thrown together for a week. Themes of acceptance and of being yourself rather than who others expect you to be. A quick read.

full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Connie

• Bury the Lede
  • Minus
  • The Raven and the Dove
  • Fangirls: Scenes from Modern Music Culture
  • The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes, #2)
  • The Ashford Affair
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • Holidate (Dating, #3)
  • See Me, See Me Not (Gavert City, #2)
  • The Grace Kelly Dress
  • Love Lettering
  • She's With Me
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • Camp Red Moon
Spencer Hyde spent three years of his high school experience visiting Johns Hopkins for severe OCD. He feels particularly suited to write Waiting for Fitz because he’s lived through his protagonists’ obsessions.

Spencer worked at a therapeutic boarding school before earning his MFA in Utah and his PhD in Texas, specializing in fiction. He wrote Waiting for Fitz while working as a Teaching Fellow