Start by marking “The Musician and the Monster” as Want to Read:
The Musician and the Monster

The Musician and the Monster

Hatred is a spell only true love can break.

Ángel Cruz is a dedicated session musician, until loyalty to his estranged family forces him to work for Oberon: the feared and hated envoy from the Otherworld. Overnight, Ángel is taken from his life, his friends, his work, and trapped in a hideous mansion in the middle of nowhere, under constant surveillance, and with only th
Published September 30th 2019 by Riptide Publishing

Start your review of The Musician and the Monster
Truuss / Loveislovereview
5+++ I’m standing on a pedestal, two hands on my mouth, screaming “READ THIS”

I don’t even know where to begin. It was an overwhelming, intense, heartbreaking, breathtaking, emotionally devastating story.
I’m in awe, where does this come from? It’s almost unearthly.

It’s about vibration, tones and timbres, melodies, music, and scent. It has beautiful voices, chanting nine syllables, which got right into my center. I felt it!
I was flabbergasted by this concept. It was delic
Trio
Holy mackerel, and I thought Relationship Material was spectacular! Jenya Keefe is by far the best new author I've read in a very long time... just amazing!

review to come
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 3 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher in exchange for an honest review (thank you Riptide Publishing!!)

I’m gonna be honest, this book is a lot. almost TOO much on my pure, faint-of-heart and kink-free life. does that mean I didn’t enjoy it? of course not. but it’s definitely SO out of my comfort zone that I repeatedly found myself almost putting it down because it was just. too. much. if you know what I/>ARC
Joyfully Jay
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’m an absolute sucker for a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Though, I should warn you, this one owes more to Grimm’s Fairy Tales than the sweet and safe Disney versions. The cover echoes the darker, colder themes beautifully with the slate blues and wintery whites, and I really love the font chosen for the title. It — like Oberon — is both familiar and yet not, and I think is perfect for this darker take on the familiar story.

Ángel, when he was oute
Kathleen
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transcendent

Alien

Gut wrenching

Joyous

Wondrous

One of the best retellings of Beauty and the Beast, yet utterly original. Beautifully written and edited. If it had any “warts”, I’ll not remember them.

And can I just say, this from a reader who skips most sex scenes because she finds them boring, that this book had some of the most incredible sex scenes EVER. :::fans self:::
✨Skye✨
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free ebook version of this book from Netgalley. Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this! My review is still honest.

I gotta be honest, I have some mixed feelings about this one. There's nothing majorly wrong with it, per say, but it might not quite have been for me.
This book is essentially a romance between Ángel and Oberon, the only elf living in the human world. Ángel is essentially blackmailed into living with Oberon as his compa
Dumbledore11214
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becca
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me a lot of a cross between Beauty and the Beast and a bit of Phantom of the Opera. It’s a lot like Beauty and the Beast more, only it deals with music and not books and it’s not an actual beast, but Fae. It’s not a bad story, but a few things irritated me.
Angel’s parents (and btw there should be a thingy over the A but my keyboard doesn’t do that), were caught in a money fraud scheme thing and basically in order to get out of going to jail or anything like that, they sold out the
Morgan
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtiqa
**ARC kindly provided by Netgalley and publisher**

The Musician and the Monster is a unique take on Beauty and the Beast. Our human protagonist is whisked away from his home to be sequestered with a creature from another world, one that’s barely understood and undeniably terrifying.

While the main setting of the novel is one of romance, there is an underlying measure of racism and hatred the protagonists face, which struck a chord with me in today’s political and social climate.

I enjoyed watchi
Tonicha
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, 2019-reads, arcs
why was this that one ‘my parents sold me to one direction’ wattpad
Littlebookterror
This book starts off weird, then gets better only to drop again by the halfway point.

First, the premise is quite unbelievable. I know it's simply to get the character into position but neither Ángel nor the reader have any stakes in saving his father, and it is never explained why Oberon agreed to this deal.
Having to characters alone with little outside changes can be challenging to write but Keefe pulled it off quite well. It did not feel repetitive, she didn't cycle through t
thebookiv
2 ⭐s for delicious sex. Other than that, the characters were flat and insipid, though I did find Oberon endearing at times. This book is perhaps a bit light on substance, so if you want tension and something that moves you, this probably isn't it. But it's an easy read that gets sexy in a beat, so if you get hooked and wanna stay for the show, that's alright too. It's just not singing anything new that matters.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an hone
Finn Longman
Real rating: 3.5*s

Apparently a theme in my reading this month has been ‘characters falling in love with someone they’re initially terrified of’, so I’m not sure what that’s a symptom of, but there we are. This is very much a romance novel, with a certain amount of explicit sex, so those coming to me for YA recommendations should probably steer clear of this one – it’s not what you’re looking for. It may surprise people that it’s something I’d read and enjoy, but there’s something about seeing r
Erika
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook, 2019
Thanks to Netgalley, Riptide Publishing, and the author for a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

After reading and adoring Relationship Material, I knew I had to jump on requesting and reading this story too.

Everything I loved from Relationship Material is here as well - the emotional backstories, the honest communication, and the deepening relationships.

The fact that Oberon was fae and the way he was used to communicating with his kind - through touch, and feeling, and
Lena Grey
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Music is a universal language insofar as you don't need to know anything else about a musician that you are playing with other than that they can play music. It doesn't matter what their music is, you can find something that you can play together, with what their culture is. The dialect part of it comes into play, but nothing like the differentiation that language sets up, for example.” ~ Jerry Garcia

Oberon, of ‘The Musician and the Monster’ by Jenya Keefe, is a being from the “Othe
☽ lana ☾
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 but rounding it up!

If you had told me a week ago that I rated a book that started off sounding like a Wattpad novel (yes, the ‘I’ve been sold to Harry Styles for a debt’ kind) five stars I would have laughed. But honestly? I loved this. It was an enjoyable read, I liked the characters and the pacing. The sex was great & if you get passed the first chapter or two you’ll love it.

I’m not normally one for cringe & cliche but this author just made it work! And oh boy do I hope there’s a
Sherry
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is paranormal romance done right. It’s a dark take on Beauty and the Beast, my favorite fairy tale, and I love what Jenya Keefe does with her version.

Often in PNR, authors move fairly quickly past the stage where the human resists a nonhuman lover as being too strange to be with. That makes sense, because then they are able to focus on the romantic elements of the story. Keefe takes the opposite tack here, though, really leaning into the notion of the “uncanny valley” (refe
Shirley
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Totally not what I expected... but that's not a bad thing...

This is the second Jenya Keefe book I’ve picked up (the first was Relationship Material) and if I’m not mistaken, it’s also her second book. I love following authors from the beginning and so far I’d say that this author is off to a great start.

The Musician and the Monster is unlike any Fae story I’ve read before. Jenya Keefe creates a totally different spin on their mysterious world. Both Ángel and Oberon are broken, but
Amy
It took me a minute to realize that this was a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, just a gay version of it with an elf-lord and a human. It talks about love and hate and bigotry. I love the parallel between Oberon and Angel, our two main characters, who experienced their own form of hate from other people. Oberon is a fae who crossed over the veil 8 years ago from when our story takes place. He came over to study music as well as how humans interact. It's just him, so obviously he is lonely, es ...more
Charlotte
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of The Musician and the Monster by Jenya Keefe from Riptide Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

This was a lovely and interesting re-telling of “Beauty and the Beast”. Let me be clear, it’s not the same plot… Ángel Cruz is a musician who is coerced by his family to enter into a contractual agreement with a being from the Otherworld… nicknamed Oberon. What Oberon wants is company in exchange for excusing Ángel’s father of a crime. He’s a different sp
Alexis Nalley
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-faves
“You’ve touched me. You know that I desire you. You are desirable. I admire you because you are admirable. I call you beloved because I love you.”

Alright, one: this is a Beauty and the Beast retelling so I was instantly hooked. I felt so bad for Oberon with how lonely and sad he was. I was rooting for Ángel and Oberon from the very beginning. The characters are engaging through the whole book- their backstories, their interactions, their emotions. It keeps your attention.

Jessica
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’d like to thank Netgally and the publisher for providing me with this ARC.

“They were two different beings, from different worlds.”

Angel and Oberon are from completely different worlds. literally! Angels is forced to live with Oberon. He’s watched constantly and has only the fae he is afraid of for company.
Oberon cultural envoy from the Otherworld. A fae who is studying human music. He’s completely alone in the world and wants a friend.

“But Oberon, this
David
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Musician and The Monster by Jenya Keefe.

So this an Erotic Beauty and The beast retelling. But it isn’t just that. That’s too simple a description, instead this a love story between a normal twenty first century musician Àngel and a Fae Oberon from the Otherworld. As they grow to understand each other and bridge the divide between their two races through a love of music.

Jenya Keefe’s world building was so interesting and engaging as she crafted Oberon and hinted at the
Claire Knight
Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for providing this ARC.
The premise of this book was intriguing, reminiscent of beauty and the beast I was interested in seeing where Keefe would go with it.
It has a plot rich with many things and the overall message was strong and compelling. We are uncomfortable with that which is alien to us, but if we take time to understand it we can grow and learn new knowledge. Acceptance is key, and everyone deserves it. No one should be hated for who the
Sari
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is quite the retelling. I didn't know this was based off beauty and the beast when I started reading, but ultimately it is one of my favorite stories so this book was right up my alley.

I found the characters to have a cute story (even erotic at times) and I really routed for them. Their relationship seemed to grow organically and it was something that could happen realistically.

Ultimate
Tavis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3/5 stars

The Musician and the Monster is a M/M Beauty and Beast retelling with a musical spin. I found the first 50-60% to be quite decent. The pacing was a little slow, but it felt pretty well-balanced, and I really enjoy how music was incorporated into the story as a whole. After the 60% mark, however, the story really started to slog for me. I was losing interest fast, and the last few "obstacles" in the plot were wrapped up in a hasty manner. Overall, it was a fairly decent read but
Smote
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My taste in books tends to be less sex focused but honestly, this was a great divergence from my normal reads. I appreciated the otherworldlyness of the "fae" character and the humanity of the protagonist. The story reads a bit like fanfiction (but without the pre-known characters) so if you're into that type of angst and fluff (hurt/comfort) scenario, you'll probably appreciate this!

There are a LOT of music references. I am not good at those but I didn't feel out of the loop too much. Someone
Goldenchels
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books with elves, but this was not what I was expecting. The author has created an entirely new lore and love story and it works. I really enjoyed the slow burn and when we got to the steamy scenes they were top notch. Somehow harsh and dreamy at the same time, I was taken with this story immediately.
Melanie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.75 out of 5

For the full review visit here: https://wp.me/p220KL-hxW

For all our reviews, check out http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
B.L. Dayhoff
A lovely take on the Beauty and the Beast story. Has fresh ideas, great characters, and some very emotive moments!
Jenya Keefe was born in the South. She has an advanced degree in European history, and has spent much of her life working the kinds of jobs a history degree qualifies you for: gift shop employee, lumber grader, classifieds clerk, hot glass artist. She currently lives in the Seattle area, where she works at a library. She has always written stories.

Website: www.jenyakeefe.com