Start by marking “The Memories We Hide” as Want to Read:
The Memories We Hide

The Memories We Hide

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  58 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Can you trust your memories?

When Laura Murphy returns home ten years after the death of her childhood sweetheart Ryan Taylor, her past begins to unravel and memories she’d long pushed aside begin to surface.

Published September 3rd 2019 by Jodi Gibson

To ask other readers questions about The Memories We Hide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memories We Hide

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Memories We Hide
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Memories have the power to shape our lives, our sense of self, and the regrets we may hold. This is at the centre of the debut novel by Jodi Gibson. The Memories We Hide is a contemporary women’s fiction title, that covers the themes of friendship, the past and long held secrets. It is also a story about self acceptance and finding a way to accept the past, in order to find peace in the future. The Memories We Hide is a book that I was able consume in two
marlin1
I’ve been in a little reading slump, picking up and putting down my last 3 books. Meanwhile this book has been popping up on my radar with good reviews and well, what can I say except it was the perfect book to get me out of that slump!
Laura has returned to her home town of Banyula because her Mum is dying. She is close to her Mum but events from 10 years previously at the finish of high school, have stopped her from coming home. Laura, her boyfriend Ryan and friends Tom and Rachel were young
Leanne Lovegrove
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic debut by this author. I loved the theme of memories running through the novel and how all of our memories of an event can differ. It’s also about learning to love ourselves, forgive our mistakes and move on. Loved the main character Laura, can’t wait for more from Jodi.
Michele
The Memories We Hide wasn't like most other books. Even though it took me a little while to get into the storyline, I really liked it. You have to give it time to develop. Our main character, Laura, is coming home because her mother is dying. Apparently she hasn't been back in ten years, since the death of her first love, Ryan. Once she's there though, things aren't all as she remembers them. Apparently she's carried guilt since Ryan's death but she's not the only one. Her friends, Rachel and ...more
Shalini
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book of love, family bonds, friendships and relationships, betrayals and secrets of the past. Each made this family drama a captivating read. A beautiful cover too.

Laura came home 10 years after the death of her love Ryan when her mom was seriously ill. The threads of the past connected to Ryan's death slowly pulled her into the secrets as she found herself wanting a closure. Tom, her best friend, had been waiting in the wings, for her to notice him, would she? This was Laura's life, a
Fox Red
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute dream! Gibson details the agonising journey of self-sacrifice, the depths of grief, loss and love as she moves the reader through conflicting issues, past and present, that impact on family and friendships.

Memory imprints itself on the soul, and in the final anslysis reveals itself in truth.

It is not often that I find a book I cannot put down. This is one of those rare gems - I slept with and within a short paeriod of time, reread.

Highly recommend.
Bookfan36
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can you trust your memories?

Having trouble reconciling truth and memory, Laura reconnects with her friend Tom to try and find closure, but Tom has issues of his own. Not only is he faced with the threat of losing his farm, but he is also hiding a secret that could change everything for them both.

Will Laura and Tom
Reading Mom.me
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick but surprisingly twisted read! This story was full of so much emotion and dealt with some very powerful subjects. Following Laura as she returns to her hometown she ran away from a decade ago. she's come to care for her mom and deal with her estates after her passing. She's also forced to face the memories of why she left this town so quickly all those years ago. But are her memories correct why does she feel like theres more to this story then what her memory is allowing her to ...more
K.M. Allan
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick, enjoyable read, The Memories We Hide, tells the tale of Laura, a beautician who is unhappy with her career and life choices. When her mother's cancer enters its final stage, Laura returns to her home town, a small country area she fled 10 years ago after the tragic accidental death of her high school boyfriend. What follows is a story about soul searching, flashbacks, missed and future romance, the horrible truth behind the real reason Laura fled, and the memories she hid from herself ...more
Sheri
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A sweet story about how our memories can shape us, I enjoyed the way this story shifted between past memories and present happenings. Laura returns home to care for her gravely ill mother and comes face to face with the memories she has been avoiding since she left home after graduation. As Laura reconnects with friends from her past, she learns the memories she has been avoiding may actually be inaccurate. Relatable characters and a good pace, I enjoyed this read.
Monique Mulligan
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and heartfelt read, The Memories of Us explores the way present reality can be shaped by past memories for better or worse.

When Laura returns to her hometown to care for her dying mother, it stirs up grief of all kinds. All she wants to do is be with her mother to the end and then leave ... but life has other plans for her, including the memories she's built everything on.

A well-written and warm book, with believable characters all carrying their own baggage and protecting
Cristie Underwood
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This one starts off a bit slow, but it is so worth it to hang in there. This book had so many emotional highs and lows, but somehow it isn't a heavy read. I highly recommend it!
Ixxati
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley for giving me free ARC and giving me the opportunity to review this book.

Oh yeah The Memories We Hide going to come out around this month if I'm not mistaken so don't forget to check it out ya!

Goshhh I don't know what to say! I couldn't stop reading and I keep wondering what going to happen next.

Ryan's death hit them pretty bad. Not only Laura but Tom and Rachel felt the same way. What happened between them are freaking dark. What Rachel and Ryan did to Laura pissed me
Stevie
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The memories we hide is a beautiful story and a must read for anyone who enjoys stories that sit over two timelines.
We follow Laura as she navigates being back in her home town where she has to confront her past.
Laura's past is told by way of memories and is seamlessly integrated into the rest if the story. I loved learning about Laura's past and watching her learn to move on in the present, and the story as a whole was very fulfilling and he ending very satisfying.
The story is intriguing and
Ranjini
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laura Murphy has to return to her home town, Banyula, because her mum has terminal cancer and is dying. She is close to her mum, but 10 years back, she lost her boyfriend, Ryan Taylor. Not being able to cope with the grief, she leaves Banyula, only to return now.
Their group of four: Tom, Laura, Rachel and Ryan broke-up after the tragic demise of Ryan and tore everyone apart.
For 10 years, each of them has been harbouring their own guilt and their version of what actually happened that night. Is
Jane Hunt
This story wasn’t what I expected, which was a woman returning to her hometown to lay some painful memories to rest, and reconnect with old friends.

Laura returns to her small hometown to nurse her mother in her last days. She hasn’t returned home, since the tragic death of her teenage boyfriend, but now she has no choice. Inundated with unwanted memories, and uncovering a mystery, as she sorts through her mother’s things. She must find out the truth, or be running to nowhere for the rest of her
Janine
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a great feeling when you pick up a book by a new author and it gets you in straight away!! Laura returns home to the country as her mother is seriously ill and she wants to spend as much time with her as possible as the prognosis is not good. She leaves behind her life in the city and her fiancee. Coming home also means she has to re-live the horror of her old boyfriend who was tragically killed when she was a teenager.

After her mother's passing Laura must decide what to do with her life and
J
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing story. The author took a mystery of how Ryan died one night and three of his friends who each thought they were the last to see Ryan alive. They each ran away in some form, haunted by their memories of that night. Then the author shows us how a memory can be real, exactly as it happened but it could have been such a traumatic experience that the brain changed the memory into something that you could handle and you believe that is how it happened. The book made me pause and ...more
Amanda
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this debut novel by Jodi Gibson.

This story features Laura returning to the town she grew up in, after 10 years away. She leaves her fiancée behind in the city to look after her mum in the last stages of cancer. Her mum makes her promise to understand why she left aged 18, leaving her friends Tom and Rachel behind after her boyfriend Ryan was killed, after being struck by a train.

She befriends Shea at the library and reconnects with Tom and her mums friend Stella.

Good character
Luanna
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A compelling account of life, and how our lives can change in an instant.

All the characters were well written, complex and real. The reasons for their behavior were detailed and percise. Its true our mind works in weird ways and is always trying to protect itself, and this book deals with how the things we hide may actually be more important then those we forget.

I liked the closure at the end of the book and that the characters have to still keep living with the pain they have been through and
Michelle Barraclough
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! Jodi Gibson’s debut novel is a heartwarming drama with an intriguing plot and a love story that had me turning the pages faster as the story went on. The setting in country Victoria was beautifully rendered - I could see it all clearly - and I thought Jodi handled the themes of teenage depression and the plight of kids in country towns with enormous sensitivity and insight. If you love contemporary fiction that has a good plot but also explores relationships (friendships and family as well ...more
Melissa
What a beautiful story about friendships, memories and secrets. I enjoy Australian rural and it was the cover that attracted me at first. I was intrigued.

“Well-hidden memories once pushed purposefully into the back of her mind had come forward again”. Sums up, for me, the story and the essence of the characters and their relationships with each other. Jodi Gibson, captured the small outback town living beautifully and I loved the ending, particularly as I wasn’t prepared for it.

Megan Blandford
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Memories We Hide is Australian author Jodi Gibson's debut, and shows a great new presence in the industry.

The story follows a woman with past experiences that she hasn't confronted, and Jodi expertly drops clues as the story progresses, keeping us hooked and questioning what's real and what's being remembered incorrectly.

Having had my own challenges with blocking out memories of difficult times, this is a story that rang true for me. It's a fascinating exploration of the tricks our minds
Kelly Sgroi
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is charming.

Brimming with the nostalgia of going home and the coming together of family and friends who are always in our hearts, this story is a pleasure to read.

Jodi describes the country setting with flair, and her relatable characters will find their way into your heart.

The important message within the light-hearted pages of The Memories We Hide will stay with you long after you finish. A wonderfully written debut.
January Gray
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this book, so I guess I am unable to give a full and complete review. I did not enjoy the parts that I did read. The characters were not well rounded, nor was the plot. I did not get drawn into the story.
Vanessa Carnevale
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A moving and tender debut from Jodi Gibson, one that I’ve been looking forward to reading for some time. A lovely portrayal of love, family, friendship, and the role memory plays in shaping our lives.
Joanne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll never make a great book reviewer - I know what I like, but can rarely pinpoint exactly why, but admire those who do. In any case, I really enjoyed this debut from Jodi Gibson. The characters were relatable, the sense of place was palpable, and the story engaged me - to the extent that I wished the day job and an alarm set for ridiculous o'clock didn't get in the way of finishing. Well done Jodi - I look forward to what comes next!
Betty
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book! Sometimes it can be hard to face the past once you have removed yourself from it, but that is what the main character has to do. She left her hometown 10 years ago and has to return because of her mother's failing health. Returning dredges up a painful tragedy.
Jennifer Newell
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an advanced copy to read for an honest review.

This is the story of Laura, who experienced a significant loss which led to her leaving her home town for 10 years. It is her moms health that finally brings her home. Following her moms death Laura comes across newspaper clippings which drives her to remember the worst night of her life. Will Laura ever know what happened to Ryan? Will Laura be able to forgive her high school friends and the pain they caused each other? What will Laura
Shkolnikjx
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! Really good description of characters and a good storyline. Highly recommended. Kept me guessing.
Book Bloggers of ...: Contemporary Women's Fiction - Reviewers Wanted 1 11 Oct 08, 2019 05:04PM

• Cross My Heart
  • The Marriage Trap
  • Single
  • There Was Still Love
  • We Met in December
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • Mercy Road
  • Life on Loan
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
Jodi is an Australian author of both contemporary dramas and rom-com. She loves reading across genres, so loves writing across them too.

Jodi lives in regional Australia with her family on a mini-farm and spends her time while not writing, either baking or reading.

Jodi's debut novel, a contemporary drama - The Memories We Hide, was released in August 2019.

Sign up to Jodi's monthly newsletter to