Start by marking “Hart & Stocker” as Want to Read:

Hart & Stocker

It's not every day that Willa receives distress calls for sick horses owned by dead people. As one of two veterinarians in the rural area of Washington State, she responds to the summons for two reasons; she's worried for the unknown animal, and sheer curiosity over the alleged revenant. While on this mission, Willa crosses paths with Dax, a rough around the edges U.S. ...more
Published August 4th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Hart & Stocker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hart & Stocker

Start your review of Hart & Stocker
Bugs
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
I was dead chuffed to read Max Ellendale's latest outing, "Hart & Stocker," because I knew I'd be immersed in the world of pure lesbian romance wrapped in emotional and psychological narrative that only Ellendale's innate skill in characterising such an experience could achieve. An experience that would once again take me to the depths of the human condition where love, falling in love, true love would be stoked, flourished before emerging as the source of hope and positivity just when ...more
Ted
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wondered what I'd say to this newest Ellendale book. Her tendency to take broken MC's and bring them back is kinda a trademark. In one breath I want to say, branch out! But then I'm like, nope, I love her books the way they are. I wonder if it would mess up her flow if she did. IDK. I do know that you're always going to get a face full of feels.

As far as secondaries, you're getting a whole slew of those here. In particular Sali from Four Point, The Mermaid pod/salon, and Brexit the dog
CLo
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Not my fav...

I have read a few of Ellendale books and if memory serves me correctly I really enjoyed them. This one felt different to me writing style and everything. It felt rougher, a little cruder, and well I honestly didnt like. The two main characters were ok but I didnt fall in love with them or honestly care them. The kids, tue animals, and Sage were probably my favortie parts of the book. And while what happened to Dax was horrific, I didnt feel like it was really dealt with. How is
Ameliah Faith
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly Beautiful
This book is such a piece of emotional, sentimental, mushy, lovey goodness!!! I didn’t know whether to cry sad tears or happy tears and in the end it didn’t matter I was a blubbery, smiley mess and my heart was sooo full... The story is astounding. Dax has such demons to slay but for years she has had no one in her corner and had to face life alone until the local veterinarian decides that’s not how its gonna be! I loved how Willa was always there for Dax, to help her,
Annette Mori
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I love most about Max Ellendale's books is that she has the ability to write main characters that are so vulnerable, I start rooting for them immediately and can't wait for the love interest to do their magic and sooth that wounded soul. Another big bonus is the return of other beloved characters for even a brief moment here and there.
Kate Hershberger
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great romance

I don't normally read romance novels, I took a risk with this one and I'm so glad I did. The characters were real and easy to relate to. I'd love to see another book with these two.
Dawn
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. I could not put it down once I started to read it. The MC were amazing. I can only hope for a follow up.
Doreen
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Less of a romance between women than insight into a de facto D/s kink relationship.

Doctor Willa Dean Hart (aka Doc, Will, sissy, little girl, Pig Girl and Sexy Cowgirl) lives with her family and practices veterinary medicine in Sequim, WA. She left her comfortable lesbian life in Seattle to continue her father's practice after his death. Relocation came with a high price tag, but it gave her the chance to ditch her cheating lover and be closer to her mother, sister and niece. The rural lifestyle
Cheyenne
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As a HUGE fan of the Four Point verse I was very excited to read Hart & Stocker. Unlike the other books in the verse, we meet leading ladies Willa and Dax in a small town in rural Washington. Sweet veterinarian Willa is likable from the start, and when she is called to Dax's farm to check on a horse, Willa finds herself instantly drawn to the other woman.
While, to me, this novel started off slower than the others of Ellendale's that I've read, I still found myself intrigued by the journey
Doreen HOWARD
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lisa R. Smith
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bad luck, then fate.

A good romance. A traumatized law enforcement officer inherits her fathers farm. A horse belonging to her farmhand needs medical attention. They call the local Veterinary who happens to be just the woman the officer needs.

Well written, Ellendale is working her way to the “author of note” list. Sex, baby animals, and Jack Daniels- what more can a lesbian reader need.
Karen
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought I was NEVER going to finish this romance. I would estimate it is probably 125 to 150 pages too long (I read on kindle app on my phone). I thought the romance was good, but the length took away from it.
Melissa
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Devoured!

Absolutely devoured this book! Loved peaking in on old favourite characters, loved meeting Dax and Willa, loved everything! Going on my re read list for sure!
Pamela Giles
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Needs a part 2
terry decker
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
monica.b.czuba
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hart & Stocker

Great story and read.Well worth getting and enjoy a book that will book you from the start.
Max Ellendale knows how to write and edit a book. A well deserved 5 stars. Looking forward to reading more by her.
Mx Grove
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging and moving

Yes, this is a romantic love story but it’s filled with much more. It’s a journey building love, trust and belief. It’s a deeply moving story of recovery from trauma in many forms. The characters are well developed as are the supporting cast. I easily recommend this book.
Patricia OHara
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Uniquely written

The author presented a wonderful storyline that left this reader wanting more throughout this book. This story almost felt like real life happenings. The main characters were fantastic what with everything that they went through, alone and together. The supporting characters were a joy to read about them and how they affected the main characters. This whole story made me sniffle in places and smile in others. I look forward to reading this story again and again.
Jessica Roberson
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting

I saw a Lesbian Review for this book pop up on Twitter which made me check it out. I realized this was set in the same "world" as two books I have read by this author: Wildrose and Rabbit. Although this is a standalone book, there are snippets with those characters in the story and references to past events from those books. I loved those stories, especially Rabbit, so I gave this book a shot. I couldn't put it down. The emotional depth explored and beautiful writing was
Best Lesfic Reviews
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dr. Willa Hart returns to her hometown Sequim from Seattle when her father passes to take over her veterinary practice. She is the only vet in town and also, seemingly, the only lesbian. She receives a distress call from Dax Stoker’s farm and goes to attend the call from a dead man since Dax Stocker passed a year back. At the farm she meets the new Dax Stocker – Dax’s daughter Dax (Dakota) who took over the farm when her father passed and is also a US Marshal. Willa is attracted to Dax ...more
Margaret Snow
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary and sweet

I loved this book. The characters seemed real. The situation, very well done.

I think this book has done an excellent job of demonstrating the true cost of cost violence in a person's life and the tol on a bidding relationship.

I thought that Stocker's healing was well portrayed.

I wish an understanding Hart for every woman needing to re-gain the spontenaity and joy stolen from them.
DR
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written story about surviving and healing after a traumatic event; about surviving a broken heart and moving slowly towards something new. This was a sensitive love story and the writing effectively moved the Willa & Dax characters towards each other with each chapter. Ellendale's Willa refused to be put off by Dax and Dax just couldn't keep Willa at bay. A good book. A good read. I've added Max Ellendale to my authors to have on my shelf category.
Meghan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author and I absolutely loved it. The raw emotion you felt from Dax and Willa was great too. Just a wonderful read. I apparently read this out of order in a way even if it is standalone so I'll be going back and reading the others in this world starting with Four Point. I have no doubt it will blow me away too
Heather Henkel
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written

This was an emotional book with its ups and downs but i really enjoyed it. The main characters are great together and it was nice to see the old characters from the other books.
Mandy 'Hammie'
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Its a lovely romance, great storyline and characters. Dealing with very serious issues. This book was very well written. It had me gripped by the short and curlies from the very first page.
Consuelo Garcia
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good book

I really enjoy her writing style and how the storyline flows. It is not too fast or too slow. I had tears reading the story about Dax and her pain. The love and strength Willa gave her to heal.
Sìne Màiri
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I usually cringe when I see 1st POV but it only took me a paragraph to get over. The writing is so good, the characters are built so well, even the secondary and third string characters. I loved the themes, it was a page turner.
CJ O'Hara
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story feels real...

The author brings you into the lives of these characters and soon you are feeling their experiences. Their highs and lows, love and hate, all with a sense of realism.
Celina
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotions, my EMOTIONS

I loved it. Very well paced. The story connects all the dots. Top-notch plot. Relationships and friendships between the characters is touching and inspiring.

I love it.
Lynn Curtis
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible

An absolutely endearing, heartwarming at times, love story. There are a lot of good "support" situations within that just make the story even better.

• Reservations of the Heart
  • Living
  • Coming Home
  • Stay
  • Lost at Sea
  • Anyone But Her
  • Perspective
  • Blind Faith (Duckton-by-Dale Romance, #2)
  • A Lesson in Love (The Village Romance, #3)
  • There You Are
  • 200 Hours
  • Learning To Swim
  • A Taste Of Love (The Village Romance, #2)
  • Riding on High
  • The Heat of Summer
  • Time of Day (Tahoe Series #2)
  • A Shot at Love (The Village Romance, #1)
  • Ice Cream Wars
Max grew up just outside of New York City, spending most of her formative years outdoors creating wild ghost hunts with neighborhood kids, setting booby-traps to capture unwitting family members, and building clubhouses on top of ten-foot walls. Max wrote her first story at the age of twelve and titled it Circles of Friendship. Through the years, Max has written several short-stories and poems, ...more