Start by marking “Verona” as Want to Read:
Verona

Verona

When your mob families are at war, what are the risks of giving love a shot?

In this explosive short story, international bestselling author Jeffery Deaver brings readers a classic tale of star-crossed lovers who defy the boundaries of enemy territory. When an underworld kingpin gets taken out, his prime turf is up for grabs. For Irish crime lord Brendon Nagle and

Published August 29th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Verona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verona

Start your review of Verona
Bren
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
rating and review to follow.

Romeo and Juliet..Mafia style.

This story was really well written and I can't even say how much I enjoyed it. I read across many Genres but this little book I was not sure about.

I do occasionally enjoy a good Mafia story. The Sopranos is one of my all time favorite television shows. So I decided to go with it and I an sure glad I did as this was excellent.

Andrew and Loi are the children of competing Mafia Kingpins. Only they are not children. They are all grown up.
Bill Lynas
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Jeffery Deaver's latest short story features gangsters, guns & true love. Deaver gives us a fun interpretation on the tale of Romeo & Juliet, & while the twists are perhaps not on the scale of his usual work it's an entertaining diversion nonetheless.
Nola
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a free Amazon Prime short story (70 pages). As you might imagine, it was fast paced. The plot and characters were well developed for such a short read. I enjoyed it immensely, and felt it really could have been developed into a full length novel.
Richard
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A very clever modern re-evaluation of the world of organised crime. When two rival crime syndicates vi for the spoils of the mobster’s territory when he is retired they hadn’t planned that their hostile takeover would be undermined by their own children. The Godfather meets a Shakespearean tragedy as things unravel beyond their own imaginations.
You will enjoy the careful plotting that surrounds at face value a simple tale of greed and family loyalties.
Basically the old fashioned story is of two
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Well written short story. Unfortunately the characters were very unlikeable.
Bronwyn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't best Deaver

Never assume you know where this story is going. Everyone has multiple sides to their personalities. And parents don't forget you do influence your children.
Bex
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
This story wasn't really for me; it's heavy on the dialogue and has a large cast of relatively superficial characters in terms of understanding who they are. The story is quite dry, as two kids from rival families fall in love and are subsequently used as pawns in their parents game - it just felt a bit unoriginal and unsurprising compared to Deaver's usual standard.

I like that the story weaves in a number of subtle parallels between Shakespeare's,"Romeo and Juliet" and that it does so really
Janie Squier
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shakepeare's Crime Boss 101

Don't read the other reviews. (One of them tipped me off) And yet the thing is rip roaringly good and satisfyingly devious. It's how "To Be Or Not To Be" a big fish in a small pond, so you can take over the ocean- or several. Just when you think it's all over and done, the plot thickens. Loved that!
Well done indeed sir, well played, as all the world's a stage.
Ed
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Claire Yamagata
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is wow! An unexpected surprise with several jaw-dropping moments.
Lisa Henderson-Farr
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying Read

Fast moving story with a few unexpected twists. A son and daughter who aren't quite what they at first appear to be.
Lucinda
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A short story with a new take on Romeo & Juliet
Kay
It was an okay short story, JD has written better ones.
Darcy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this one, but liked it more when the twist was revealed. I thought that Andrew and Loi were very smart indeed, it's too bad their fathers couldn't see it.
Tracy Challis
Clever little short story with a connection to Romeo and Juliet. I enjoyed this much more than I expected. It would make a good movie.
Channon Coats
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Masterful draw on Shakespeare

Just when you think JD has peaked with his creations of Rhyme and Dancer, that nobody could be more real and wonderful to enjoyable mystery pursuit, he produces Verona. Classic Shakespeare with a twist? Oh no, the inevitable lives of Romeo and Juliet, if they lived now as the precocious children of Tony Soprano and his arch nemesis. Intriguing, intricate ballet of a short story once again proves a master still pens a world of gritty reality, lightly, brightly and
Christi Fowler
Part of a Series: Book 1 in the Jeffery Deaver Short Stories Amazon Collection
POV: Various
Steam Level: Clean - just hints of more
4/5

I've never read Jeffery Deaver but I've seen his books around. Verona was twisting mystery into organized crime and the children of two rival crime lords. Intriguing and not at all what I expected, Verona kept me listening to the end without pause.
Nancy Silk
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"A Very Surprising Career For Two Lovers"

The length of Jeffery Deaver's stories does not matter; they are all great! This is a tale of star-crossed lovers Andrew and Loi who find love at first sight. But their fathers are fierce enemies. Fast moving with usual twists and turns. It's a great short story!
W. Derek Atkins
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A 21st Century Romeo and Juliet

This is a quick, fun read. Normally, I'm not into crime stories, but I do teach literature, and was drawn by the idea of reading a modern version of a Shakespeare classic. I definitely enjoyed reading this book, which has several really good twists to the plot! (No spoilers! :) )
Robert L. Derrera
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad, not really great, but a simply packaged tome.

This was a book that was pointed in the right direction but was a fairly easy trip to the conclusion. I didn't feel it develops the main characters fully enough in the first chapters to employ the flash back technique without causing a certain disappointment, by this reader, in the closing chapters of the book.
Michael Garin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A mixed bag

Verona is a clever piece of work. However, while the first half was well written and constructed, the follow-through was a formulaic completion of the tale.
It's only a short story, so the time invested is not wasted. Jeffrey Deaver is an incredibly talented author. Too bad this piece didn't live up to his potential.
Gwyn Haller
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bonnie&Clyde futuristic; Romeo&Juliet shaded red

Crime families and forbidden loves is well used and worn because we, the reader, want the new lovers to survive and thrive happily ever after-this time. Please.
Deaver took this love story to a smart, new place, a different, engaging entitlement. Bravo!
Dorothy Stone
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different

Interesting and believable from the start to the surprising ending. Well written with a twist that keeps your attention until the end. Would recommend this for anyone who loves a great thriller.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very modern Romeo & Juliet

Great short story of a modern Romeo & Juliet who want to change their tragic ending. Clever and a bit ruthless I found myself rooting for these star-crossed lovers.
Cat
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Not up to my expected level of writing from the Deaver I'm familiar with. I get that it's short story, so I'll cut him a little slack this time. At least it was a full story, and not one that makes me purchase the book to figure out what really happens.
Edward Guida
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing reading.

It was terrific. Couldn't put it down. Wished it didn't end so soon. A VERY unique twist of the story. Loved every minute. I will be reading more of Deaver. Thank you.
Justin
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I enjoyed this short story, which took a gangland thriller and threw a Romeo and Juliet spin in the mix. Even if you're not a fan of romance, don't let the back cover deter you - this is much more of a thriller than it lets on!
John M. Hutchinson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Good Short Story

I don't read a lot of short stories, but this one was pretty good. Two kids growing up with crooked fathers. Read it, you should like it and if you don't e it don't worry it's a short story.
Corny
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Deaver has rewritten the Romeo and Juliet story with a new twist which I won't reveal. Suffice it to say that the plot is so preposterous that it falls of its own weight. I don't mind contrived but this is ridiculous. Don't waste your time. He is capable of so much better.
Doris
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast Paced - Loved it!

One heck of a ride! The story moves fast, with twists and turns I didn't see coming. I don't to give anything away, so I'll simply say it involves organized crime and their families.
« previous 1 3 next »

• In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Venom Business
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • Gates of Power: A Gripping Crime Thriller (Jack Valentine Book 1)
  • Drug of Choice
  • Summer Frost
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Zero Cool (Hard Case Crime #41)
  • Randomize
  • The Last Conversation
  • All the Devils (Livia Lone #4)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.