Start by marking “It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies)” as Want to Read:
It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies)

It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies)

'This is the freshest, most honest collection of writings about mental health that I've read...searing wit, blinding passion, bleeding emotion and a fantastic, heroic, glorious refusal to lie down and take it' - Stephen Fry

'Reading this book made me feel more normal about the things I feel sometimes...It's a great book; however you're feeling, it'll help' - Ed Sheeran

Published October 3rd 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about It's Not OK to Feel Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not OK to Feel Blue

Start your review of It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies)
Christopher Kendle
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to try and keep how I feel about this book as brief as possible.
Firstly, to Scarlett and every single person that has contributed to this collection, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing each of your mental health stories, I know just how brave it is to be so simultaneously vulnerable yet strong at the same time and one day I hope I’ll be able to get to a place where I can share my story without feeling ashamed and deleting my words and saving them for another time.
What
Kelly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, thought-provoking. This isn't a book. This is 70+ people telling you it's ok to not be ok.
On a good day it's a wonderful read, on a bad day it's a lifeline, this something everyone should read.
"All the royalties are going to the INCREDIBLE give us a shout – the UK’s first 24/7 crisis text line.
Katarina Szulenyiova
“One day you’ll be sitting on a sofa and you’ll find yourself laughing; for a second it won’t hurt, for a second you will just be there, in that moment, and, for a second, life will feel OK.”

It can be hard to review a book that is not actually a book, but rather a collection of essays. What do you do? Do you go nit-picking story by story, praising one contributor while shrugging about the writing skills of another? Or do you try to recap the recurrent theme, the one that is glaringly obvious
Steph
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to (and probably will) read this all over again; I feel so seen and understood. Found the format very effective, I liked the contrast between poems, drawings, lists, stream of consciousness and structured text - it visually shows how we express and experience mental health in different ways.

A positive, uplifting and affirming book which I would highly recommend everyone reads; whether or not they are struggling with mental health.
Zosi
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful mix of drawings and songs and poems and stories that’s inspirational, life affirming, and ultimately says ‘we get it’. Best read in small doses so it can really sink in-and then reading again and again. I appreciate stories from such a wide range of people who are dealing with such a varied range of issues-but the empathy connects every author. This is one I’ll keep coming back to.
Lewis Hughes
This was a very heavy yet a very necessary read. I'm so grateful that this book exists.
Beccy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soothed my soul and calmed my mind.
Rokiisun
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will probably read this again or use for reference on my ‘bad days’. This is the kind of book I would have loved to have read growing up and whilst the message is clear, ‘It’s okay to not feel okay’ there still exists a large amount of stigma and miseducation towards mental health, personality disorders, autism spectrum disorders and other illnesses, conditions and disabilities in general both unseen and seen (I don’t like using the word ‘invisible’ when describing illnesses that cannot be ...more
Nicky Maunder
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-2019
It’s Not OK to Feel Blue and Other Lies is a powerful anthology of essays, letters, poems, and other candid insights into a whole host of well known (and some not so well known - but that could be my age ) people that have been affected by mental ill health; either themselves or people they love. I love how each contribution is so different, honest and offers little snippets of geniusness (yes I made up a word) to help you, the reader, deal with whatever your life is throwing at you. The ...more
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying I read ‘Feminists don’t wear pink and other lies’ and I loved it Scarlett Curtis is not only an eloquent and engaging speaker herself but she has a huge insight in to things we should all hear. She asks amazing inspiring people to share their truths. So I would have read this on that basis alone but as someone who has a history with mental health issues (and I don’t like the word issues by the way) first hand and have seen those around me suffer too reading this book was ...more
Clarissa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1 book.
74 contributors
74 essays/poems/illustrations/song lyrics/diary entries/steam of conscious etc.

Some I found myself relating to, some were funny, some were heartbreaking, some were like a gut punch and some I haven’t quite processed. What they all share is that they all fall under the overhead term ‘mental health’ and they’re all brave because it is ok to talk about this.

The range of styles and format of how each author approaches their individual piece makes the reading of each
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dit was alles dat ik nu nodig had. ‘i would rather feel everything at once than nothing at all.’

ik vouwde virtuele ezelsoren op 15 pagina’s om goede stukken onthouden. hier een paar:

• there is no such thing as a negative emotion. all emotions are good and they tell you important information.

• you have to go through your emotions, not around them.

• you are a complex human being with a story and you are never alone. life is rarely exempt from pain. one of the main causes of pain is trying to
Genekineret
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Me ha dado una perspectiva diferente acerca de la salud mental y de cómo puedo apoyar a amigos y familiares.
Me encantaría que existiera una versión en español para poder compartirlo y que más personas puedan hablar de este tema.
Creo que en México para la clase media en la que vivo y aún más dentro de la comunidad cristiana, la salud mental sigue siendo un tabú, o un problema de ricos, o algo de lo que no se habla en la mesa, y creo que este libro provee alternativas para hacerlo. Ha sido
Laura Tyler
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a day when I finally acknowledged traumatic events of the last couple of months had taken its toll I also picked up this book and started to read.
Read and finished in a day! I loved every single one for various reasons but it mainly gave me the courage to say I’m not ok. Jo Irwins in particular resonated hugely with me the different bus drivers.

At the moment Wilma and Debs are with me and that’s ok! All in all a brilliant read! Couldn’t recommend it more highly!
Emma Dargue
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning collection curated by Scarlett Curtis to highlight mental health and how anybody can be affected by poor mental health. As a care worker who works in this sector in really opened my eyes to what it is like to have a decline in your mental health and it helped me realise that every single person at one time or another will suffer from a mental illness. Inspiring and moving just a beautiful beautiful book.
Chris Shepheard
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
An important book and one which may help the reader through difficult times. However be aware that what you read could trigger what you may see as an adverse reaction.

The book is linked to "shout" which is a texting service for those in crisis and sales support this vital resource.
Maggie Ho
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful. Sometimes it’s so hard to put feelings into words and to be able to read about what mental health means from so many people and perspectives is truly amazing, enlightening and empowering.
Joy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5

it was beautiful to read all the stories and experiences about mental health. this was such a pure book and is good to read when you want to know more about mental health, but don’t want to read the “theory” part of it.
Ellie Kidger
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You need to read this book.
This collection contains a bit of everything, for everyone. Each contribution is unique and deeply personal, and are effective in showing how important it is to talk about our mental health.
Joasia Cybulska
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book, heartwarming, heartbreaking, truthful and insightful. So glad I read it.
Fefyy Antela
Everyone should be reading this.

No matter what your going through, you'll find something you can relate to in here.

What a beautiful and emotional collection. I really really loved it!
Liv Liv
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never felt more seen.
Emma Brock
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of these personal stories,poems etc were fab but i felt that there were too many and the book was too big with too many varying opinions on mental health
Tayla
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*
Kate Henderson
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I definitely feel the themes that this book are incredibly important and need to be spoken about but the actual format of this book I struggled with. It became quite tedious after a while.
Pavan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly powerful book full of a group of individuals not afraid to be vunerable and speak about their experiences with mental health. ...more
Claudia

• Period. It's About Bloody Time
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Expectation
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • The Sword in the Stone (The Once and Future King, #1)
  • The Prison Doctor
  • Strangeways: A Prison Officer's Story
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)