Start by marking “Twice a Prince (Sasharia en Garde!, #2)” as Want to Read:
Twice a Prince (Sasharia en Garde!, #2)

Twice a Prince (Sasharia en Garde! #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  651 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Sasha s prince is wicked, Sun s is missing they take up the sword, L.A. style!

Sasharia En Garde Book 2

In the magical world of Khanerenth, there s a long way to go before Sasha and her dream prince, Jehan, can get to perfect. Jehan s deception has left her unable to trust him, and grimly determined to search for her missing father. Jehan only wants to protect Sasha from the
Published July 28th 2008 by Samhain Publishing (first published July 22nd 2008)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The swashbuckling and magic continue....

As I said in my review of Once a Princess (read that review first), this is the second half of a two-volume story. If you like YA high fantasies with a solid dose of both action and romance, and with a side dish of humor, I highly recommend this one-two punch of Once a Princess/Twice a Prince (also the same author's Crown Duel and The Trouble with Kings, but those are different reviews, to come one of these times).

I found this a highly satisfactory conclus
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
If you've read the first book (and do read the first book!), you'll know what you're getting with this one. At least, that applies to the first three quarters or so. And I mean that in the best possible way because Sasha is as fantastic as ever and Jehan just gets better and better as you get to know him. The PoV shifts still grated on me, but the pace and story just barreled along and I could not put it down.

But really, it's the last quarter that raised the bar (and my rating). It's way, way to
Anne Osterlund
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Twice a Prince is the sequel to Sherwood Smith’s Once a Princess. And truly, the two go hand in hand. You can’t possibly blitz through the first without needing to plunge into the second!

With her mother a prisoner in the palace, and the man Sasha isn’t supposed to love now walking straight into that viper pit himself, our heroine sets out for Ivory Mountain. To find her father, whom no one has seen in a decade. And to save him with a spell--one she hasn’t used in a decade. In order to free a cou
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed this book, the second half, following Once a Princess. This review covers both books, with the only difference being my impressions of the two different narrators. I don't think a person should read Once a Princess or Twice a Prince as a standalone unless they want to be quite disappointed because its really only half of a bigger book.

I must thank Sherwood Smith for giving me the chance to listen to both of these audiobooks by generously offering me Audible code
Hallie
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I did add a bit of a review with the rating a while ago, but computer froze or something and I forgot to come back to it. (Hunh - Atanial may have hot flushes, but she doesn't forget things this often!)

Very satisfying continuation/conclusion of the story, and I was decidedly pleased not to have to wait usual sequel length time to read it. I liked the way all the very different people's contributions to the cause came together; no one person could have saved the day on his or her own but everyone
Estara
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Whitney
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who chose the cover art for this duo? With Twice a Prince plus Once a Princess, what are readers supposed to think, judging by the covers? Teeny bopper bodice-rippers, no thank you!

But seriously. These are good. They make me think of The Princess Bride But with a LOT LESS KISSING. These are not kissing books. I mean, we see a few obligatory kisses between swashbuckling and martial artiness, but nothing gross. (and no, I'm not obsessed with kissing, why do you ask?) Great for all ages!

However,
Miss Clark
Sep 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sherwood Smith, Fantasy and Pirates
scarlettraces
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
i just didn't like this series as much as others of hers that i've read. i never engaged properly with the characters and i found the first person pov of Sasharia herself annoying.
Bronwen
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Not as good as the Court Duel. Not a fan of the main character.
Kes
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Why do bloody events get translated into Great Events in histories? Probably because they force summary change. But here was the real effect of sudden change - the wrenches in the lives of those who would never leave behind records, the people who lived and breathed and hated and loved, feared and fought, the everyday folk whom the balladers inevitably overlooked. They might go home and tell the story, and perhaps the sword Ban Kender gripped would be handed down to a grandson, along with the st
Q
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Second book felt more balanced than the first one.

Sasha was actually thinking with her head and that made her less annoying. Jehan was making mistakes other than Sasha-related blunders and that made him more human. There were also balancing thoughts of her mother with her own, much more mature and thought-out adventure. All this as well as things happening without or with minimal involvement from main characters made it a much more enjoyable read.
Ria
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
It pains me to only award this book 3 stars, but I have to be honest in my rating. Twice a Prince continues the adventures of Sasha, Jehan and company, introduce in Once a Princess. The book is sprawling in scope, covering multiple POVs and grand schemes that hold interest throughout. And impressively enough, Sherwood Smith neatly addresses a previous criticism I had, with the mix of first and third person voices - there's an explanation that kind of makes sense!

BUT, the book didn't stir me in
Jacey
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This second half of the one-book-split-into-two contains all the payoffs earned in book one. Without any preamble or story-so-far the second book picks up exactly where 'Once a Princess' left off. Sasha - after a brief but pyrotechnic clinch with Prince Jehan departs to find her father, Prince Math. Jehan plays his double game a la Scarlet Pimpernel, running with the hare and hunting with the hounds until at last all the separate plot strands (Sasha, her mother, King Canary, Prince Math, the pow ...more
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, teen
This is the sequel to Once a Princess, and it picks up right where the first one left off, with Sasha on her way to find her father, Sun in the custody of the king, and Jehan trying to hold things together without revealing his secret identity. I had hoped this book would be better than it was. The story was solid, but the writing style just killed me. It was such a juvenile way of writing, very simplistic, and with lots of child like Earth expressions like kissy face. It just broke the flow bec ...more
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 I'm reviewing this with 'Once a Princess,' its' prequel. Smith does a great job writing a complicated fantasy-based war story. She shows the rational behind the choices of her characters. I like watching them really think before they act and doubt their value even as the brave forward to the best of their ability. There are quite a few gems of good advice tucked into these books. It's also interesting to see the nuanced motivations of each character. Sometimes, even bad guys have the potenti ...more
April Carr
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love how this story including Once a Princess of which is the first book to this sequel, is almost similar to the Graceling series. :) I forgot how good pirate related novels are (especially ones that also include magic and modern world portals) since I always read novels about the fae, or vampires, or werewolves and the like. This book is a must read, after you've read 'Once a Princess' of course! I was satisfied with the ending, but wish there were a bit more romance throughout the story, es ...more
Danielle
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danielle by: Joci
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I finally got a hold of my sister's Kindle to finish this story. I was glad to finally see the end of Jehan and Sasha's story. Once a Princess was a little more interesting to me in that the characters were new and being developed, and much of Twice a Prince cruised on the character development that took place in the prequel, focusing instead on wrapping up the story line instead. That was a little disappointing to me.

Sherwood Smith creates very fascinating characters... but sometimes the storie
Nick
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since none of this volume took place in our modern world, it does not have the "urban fantasy" frame that the first volume had. Instead, this is high adventure fantasy, with lots of swashbuckling.
I enjoyed the character development in this book, and almost all of the plot elements finally paid off, with the possible exception of the "kid" character from the competitions in the first volume. Thus, by the end of the story the main plot elements are resolved, but the world remains open for further
Sbuchler
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Swashbuckling Fantasy

Rollicking fun tale filled with Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Pirates, and Dastardly Plans! I had a bit of trouble believing the hero fooled everyone into believing all his diseprate disguises for years at a time and from such a young age... but the heroine's voice (which was first-person point-of-view for most of the story) was so entrancing that I overlooked the ludicrous-ness of the situation, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The duology reminds me a bit of the Pri
Stacey
I really liked most of this book. The series is not my favorite by this author (I'm a huge fan!), and it all comes back to the main protagonists being from current-day LA. I found the slang to be overused and distracting in most places, although it also made the main protagonist's narrative more distinctive.

I loved the plot and liked its resolution; I loved the world.

Verdict: Definitely recommended for fantasy readers and Sherwood Smith fans. However, I probably won't revisit this series like
Erin Germain
I think I liked this one better than 'Once a Princess', maybe because the characters were all established and it was really about mopping up the problems that had been laid down for them in the first book. It was a bit predictable, in that you knew the bad guys would get what they deserved and the good guys would live happily ever after, but it was still enjoyable to see how it came about. It wasn't a very long read - I did so on a Sunday afternoon - but it made for a pleasant couple of hours.
Krista Basilio
Okay, do not look at the cover! Great book and the cover is horrible! They are clean and fun to read. I would recomend them to any teen girl who wants a little action and romance. Very fun to read! If I had to start over again I would read all her books in order of publication. She has the same world over and over again in many different books and I am all mixed up about a lot of the history that gets mentioned in every book. Just sayin'.
Melissa
OK do not look at the cover! These are great books and the cover is horrible! They are clean and fun to read. I would recomend them to any teen girl who wants a little action and romance. Very fun to read! If I had to start over again I would read all her books in order of publication. She has the same world over and over again in many different books and I am all mixed up about a lot of the history that gets mentioned in every book. Just say-en.
Deborah
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book by Sherwood Smith. It's a good (if slightly predicable) ending to the En Garde serise. I love our prince with his secrets and i also love are L.A kick butt heroine they are perfect for eachother and i think this serise is Smith's best work though i am happy to be proved wrong as i read more of her work.
Eileen
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really good sequel to the first. Still as much fun. I love her larger than life characters and the great fantasy world she has created.

A great entertaining read.
Just read this book for the third time in 2 years. It's great. Excellent sense of humour, great hero. Stubborn heroineand excellent subplots.
This is a brilliant sequel, but you have to read the first before you read this one.
Sheralyn
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-teen
Amazingly and despite its cover, the book is very clean, as is its predecessor. I was very surprised and very entertained. Not so swashbuckling as its synopsis leads to believe, but very active. Still contained some odd side stories that had me wondering at their purpose, but at least she resolved the story well enough.
Jenn "Awww Yeaaahhh"
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 2010-read
Once a Princess (Sasharia en Garde!, #1) by Sherwood Smith - 3.5 stars.
Twice a Prince (Sasharia en Garde!, #2) by Sherwood Smith - 3.5 stars.

Fun YA fantasy with a dash of romance and action about a modern L.A. girl who was brought up in another life in another world and has to return to restore her and her family's rightful reign. Two cute, quick reads that don't involve a lot of thinking.
Scribs
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Arg! What happened! The first book in this series was an entertaining, fun read with surprising twists and turns. I can't imagine how Smith produced such a sequel. This book had me groaning with the slow pacing. I got to the point where I didn't care what was happening with the characters and debated not finishing it. It makes me sad when this happens to an author I like!
Candi
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ya-supernatural
I read this a little while ago and it was a good ending to the story started in Once a Princess. It's an ideal light teen romance with a dash of the pirate.
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • The Seven Towers
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • The Star Witch (Fyne Witches, #3)
  • Champion of the Rose (Darest, #1)
  • Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4)
  • Misfits (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #15)
  • Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)
  • I Hear Voices (The Dragos Clan, #1)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Athena's Daughters, Vol. 1
  • Ninja
  • Awake (A Fairytale Trilogy #1)
  • Goddess Bared (Goddess Series, #5)
  • The Road Home (Echo Company, #5)
  • The Great Pyramid Robbery (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #1)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...

Sasharia en Garde! (2 books)
  • Once a Princess  (Sasharia en Garde!, #1)