Start by marking “The End of Echoes” as Want to Read:
The End of Echoes

The End of Echoes

Two families, forever linked by tragedy.
Ruby Dunkin is in an abusive marriage. Her best efforts aren't enough to shield her two children from an abusive father whose cruelty knows no bounds. Their volatile situation ends in tragedy when Ruby's eldest son, Billy is torn away from everything he loves. Consumed by hatred and self-loathing Billy becomes the thing he hate
Kindle Edition
Published August 19th 2019 by Gestalt Media (first published August 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Echoes

Start your review of The End of Echoes
Peter
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruination
Dawn Hosmer’s The End of Echoes is a gripping story that weaves fictional lives with disturbing realities of abuse and torment. There are moments of harsh physical and psychological brutality that are deeply upsetting. The novel is emotionally raw but while the horror mounts, seeds of hope compel us to maintain our connection with many of the wonderfully drawn characters and urge them forward towards reconciliation and break cycles of misery and harm.

The story is told from multiple firs
Beth
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to start this review! The End of Echoes took me on an emotional journey I wasn't prepared for.

Let's start with mechanics. Dawn Hosmer is a flat-out talented author. I knew that from reading Bits and Pieces. In The End of Echoes, she used multiple, first-person narrators and a non-linear timeline. And, impressively, she did it well. The story progressed smoothly, even as it jumped forward and backward in time, and I connected with nearly all of the main characters.

I struggled
Shawn Burgess
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawn Hosmer’s sophomore novel, The End of Echoes, is a hard-hitting, 365 degree view of the impact of a terrible rape and murder, and how that pivotal event profoundly shapes the lives of those effected in different ways. And though this novel deeply stirs emotion as we grieve for characters, whose lives begin to self-destruct in the wake of the horrific murder, the novel is about hope. About crawling out from the wreckage and rubble of one’s life to reclaim some semblance of who they might’ve o ...more
Lali Love
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, where to begin? This novel is every parent’s worst nightmare about abuse, violence, trauma and loss. I don’t want to give the plot away too much but the Author’s storytelling is so unique, with multiple points-of view of the personal tragedies experienced by the characters. I was taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride and felt empathy for each of the characters during their incomprehensible, painful journey. It’s raw and so realistic, emotionally enthralling and heart-wrenching ...more
Rebecca Yelland
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I listened to this book on Audible.

Rarely does a story produce so much suspense while simultaneously evoking so much emotion. The added element of weaving together multiple points of view into a seamless story line makes this novel an unforgettable masterpiece. I am in awe of the author’s unique writing style in creating such a powerful work of brilliance. The brilliance being magnified by the outstanding narration on Audible by Maryne Young aka Audio Sorceress.

Ther
Emmy Bennett
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping story of two families whose lives were destroyed by the choices one makes. Hosmer has the characters all going in different directions with grief, anger and rage. The author also shows how each character dealt with their emotions differently.
It has many triggers, and I found myself having to walk away from some of the scenes and coming back later to read. A romance book was also being read at the same time because after reading this, I needed to read something happy, somethin
Jodi Christensen
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity and privelege of reading an advanced copy of this amazing story by Dawn Hosmer. The emotional journey she takes you on with these characters is incredible. I often found myself heartbroken by the tragedies endured on all sides of this story. But this isn't just a story of loss, it's a testament to the human spirit, the resilience of youth, and an honest look at how circumstances beyond anyone's control have a lasting impact. It's a journey of emotional discovery that will l ...more
L.F. Falconer
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An introspective dive into the lives destroyed through substance abuse, madness, and hate in this tale of two families torn apart by death and despair.

This is by no means a "light read," and at times I had to put the book down just to walk away and breathe for awhile before I could continue on. As someone who lost a sibling at a young age to manslaughter as well as surviving domestic abuse, there were many emotional battles contained within these pages that hit really close to home.
Sheryl Mumby
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The End of Echoes. Let me start with wow, what an emotional and gripping book. I was so captured by the characters they haunted me—I had to know what happened and what happens next! From the first page to the last, Dawn Hosmer delivers a dark and enthralling story surrounding the mysterious death of a teenage girl.

The End of Echoes kept me turning pages and unable to put the book down. It is a complex and riveting tale told from multiple perspectives. Each character’s viewpoint drew me further
Lyn
This was a hard read. So real. Triggering. Filled with truth and the ugly parts of life no one wants to think about, let alone jump into the trenches and experience with characters.

But it's honest and truth we all must face, the two sides, nature versus nurture, and the consequences when nurture is horribly lacking.

The author takes you through the valley of the shadow of death, plunges you in the river to drown, pulls you back out, and leaves you to weep alongside the tho
Teresa Hurst
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dawn Hosmer has done it again! After reading her debut novel, Bits & Pieces, I was eager to get my hands on Echoes. I wasn't at all surprised to find myself attached to each of the characters and finding myself completely immersed in the story.

Through multiple points-of-view, Hosmer introduces us to two separate families as they make their way through personal tragedies. A common event ties them together in a way that changes each of them forever. We see each character struggle t
Shauna
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to become so emotionally involved with the characters in this book! Author Dawn Hosmer brings life to the many people involved in this tragic story, artfully revealing the journey of each, through point of view storytelling. Hosmer has a true talent for weaving a realistic tale, with knowledge of human behavior and an empathetic, sympathetic heart.

I almost feel that I need to read it again, to catch anything I may have missed, because of the beautifully subtle way th
Anna Ray
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not read this book fast enough. Wonderfully written and unforgettable story that was so easy to become immersed in. But make sure you have a tissue ready because the emotion in this book will shred your heart strings. I found myself crying several times throughout which is not typical for me. This is the second book from this author I've read and was not disappointed at all. Looking forward to future books from this exceptional writer.
T.J. Fox
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall: 3.5/5 Stars
Characters: 3.5/5 Stars
Believability: 3.5/5 Stars
Personal Opinion: 3.5/5 Stars

I am so torn on rating this one! It was really well written and it is absolutely going to grab your emotions and drag them along for the ride. While this packs an emotional wallop, it does so heavily and not always in a way I enjoyed.

This is the kind of story that gives you a glimpse into this small, ugly slice of life in the form of a massively traumatic ev
Helen Whistberry
An intense and heartfelt story about very heavy subject matter. The book follows multiple points of view as the lives of two families eventually intersect to tragically life-changing results. It's hard to say I enjoyed this book exactly as the events described are so heart-wrenching and hard to read at times, but I greatly appreciated the empathetic presentation of all sides of a story where ultimately everyone is a victim of one kind or another. I found the multiple POVs a little choppy and wou ...more
Alain Davis
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin. This book is more than just a well crafted story. One I have never read the likes of before. Having a story presented in first person for multiple characters is no easy feat and Dawn Hosmer pulls this off flawlessly. Not only that, but the story is presented in a nonlinear fashion - again, difficult to do, but seemingly easy the way it’s executed here.

This book absolutely captivated me - the first person perspective drew me in and connected me to each character...invested me i
Laurie Holbrook
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful story of love, hate, and tragedy.

I loved Bits & Pieces by Hosmer, she has once again outdone herself. I look forward to reading more by this author.

In a quiet midwestern town, two families are connected forever. One in an abusive household, the father an alcoholic who takes his anger out on Ruby and her two children. The other, a loving family, until their daughter goes missing.

Imagine two families, their lives like invasive roots jetting off in all direct
Eileen Hammond
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gut-wrenching, well-written book. It tells the tragic tale of two families who have unthinkable things happen. One story is about the horrors of child abuse and its implications, the other is about a girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ms. Hosmer tells these tales seamlessly, working toward the connection and conclusion. The characters are real, and their actions are believable. A word to the wise, keep your tissue box handy.
Ken Biltz
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome read

Never have I encountered so much emotion while reading a book. There were so many scenarios that played out in this one, that I could imagine in everyday life nearby. I truly felt for this family and at times had a hard time reeling it in. I enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed Dawn’s first story, I really enjoy reading her work.
Laura Wilson
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The End of Echoes is a story that will draw you in, make you invest in a cast of imperfect characters and compel you to keep reading to the breathtaking end. The author does an incredible job of telling the story from multiple points of view and making you care about the outcome. It's truly a wonderful read!
E. Night
Aug 25, 2019
Phebe Yawson
Oct 20, 2019
Mary
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2019
Marnye Young Audio Sorceress
Nov 06, 2019
Donna Riegel
Sep 13, 2019
Alyssa DiCarlo
Sep 04, 2019

• The Forbidden Scrolls (The Forbidden Scrolls #1)
  • Watcher
  • Adam's Witness (Adam and Grace, #1)
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • River
  • RIVER (The Beginning of the End Book 1)
  • Fairy Tale Lies (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • Icarus
  • Timepiece
  • A Journey of Three Degrees
  • Apidae
  • Old Man on the Bus
  • Pandora's Hell : The Hell's Gate Series
  • Ten Sigma: A Military Science Fiction Novel
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Qwerty