Start by marking “Again, but Better” as Want to Read:
Again, but Better

Again, but Better

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  12,782 ratings  ·  3,595 reviews
From one of the most followed booktubers today, comes Again, but Better, a story about second chances, discovering yourself, and being brave enough to try again.

Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades, and happy parents…sounds ideal—but Shane's made zero friends, goes home every weekend, and romance…what’s that?

Her life has been dorm, dining hall, clas
Hardcover, Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition, 393 pages
Published May 7th 2019 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Again, but Better, please sign up.
greta bahahaha same, I literally will buy it the day it comes out and even if it was really bad, I would be blinded by my love for Christine - but I have a…morebahahaha same, I literally will buy it the day it comes out and even if it was really bad, I would be blinded by my love for Christine - but I have a feeling it's going to be good :)(less)

·  12,782 ratings  ·  3,595 reviews

Start your review of Again, but Better
Alex
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cringe, ugh
description
This review was plagiarized!

So, here we are again. A booktuber writes a book and I receive an ARC of it.

And, yeah, it was bad.
Not a total trainwreck like Zenith, but still... Bad.

I have seen A LOT of people saying that they will love this book regardless if it's good or not because they love Christine and that's fine, do what you want. But it also means that I will be as brutally honest as I could be to even it out.

I believe that you should always judge a book based on the book and not the author but since this book is basically about the author (and I will a
Emma Giordano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I was going to love Again But Better well before I read it. The idea of a girl travelling to London to study abroad at her second chance at college to study what she wants, make new friends, and achieve her goals is all I could have wanted to read about as a teenager. I firmly believe that had I read this book at 17, it would be considered one of my favorite books of all time. For this reason, it gave me a unique sense of nostalgia, despite this being a totally new story to me, which had a big ...more
Lala BooksandLala
Unfortunately this one just wasn't for me, which is fine.

Things I liked
The character's voice was distinctly different in the 2 respective timelines. While I originally found Shane far too naive, enthusiastic, and overdramatic for my liking as a twenty year old, the portions at age 26 made that choice more clear, as to establish maturity and character growth.

Great pacing! The trips to different countries and the balance of time spent at home, at work, at school, and out with friends/>Things
Chaima ✨ شيماء
“Shane has been doing college all wrong”

You fool....You absolute buffoon....That's the only way you do college.
Natasha Polis
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE MOST HEARTWARMING ROMANCE SET AGAINST WHIMSY COMEDY

What a debut! If you love to laugh out loud and feel a kinship to the main character, Christine does wonders with the funy awkward first love. She just gets it!!

I had such a wonderful time reading this heartwarming story about second chances. It encompasses the warmth of a 90s Meg Ryan movie with the setting of Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow. This is the kind of book that will keep you company on your summer vacation or be
✨    jamieson   ✨
OKAY UPDATE; THIS COVER IS FUCKING AMAZING

Christine isn't my favourite Booktuber, but she basically single handedly started Booktube and that's pretty fucking awesome. And she's been working on this for years - even though we all KNOW because of her following she could of got it published ages ago. I totally respect the work & dedication that has obviously gone into this.

Plus I think the title is so catchy and fun
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“Can we start over?”

description

Writers are often told to write what you know. Even now, when I think of Shane Primaveri; I see Christine Riccio, I hear Christine Riccio, I feel like I fucking know Christine Riccio. So yes, she did write what she knew, because she wrote herself.

_______________

*cries in YA*
I was really hesitant to read this book, but I made an effort to read it independent of its booktube writer. I tried focusing on the story and stayed away from any reviews. It really did not let me, I felt uncomfort_______________
Melanie

ARC received via #arcsfortrade on Twitter!

“If you could go back and do London all over again, knowing everything you know now, would you do it?”

Friends, I wanted to love this so badly. So damn badly. Christine is not only the actual Queen of BookTube, she was one of the first channels I ever watched. She just seems so kind, and genuine, and I always feel like she radiates positive energy, and she was such a massive part of why I wanted to read Shadowhunters in the first place. But this review isn’t going to be about that, noTwitter!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I loved the writing style, but I really just could not get past all the cheating and girl on girl hate. I'm bummed as heck :c

I won an ARC of this book through a giveaway hosted by the publisher.
jessica
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
oh dear. this story made me cringe so much, i now need to make an appointment with a chiropractor to work out the new tenseness in my shoulders.

to keep it brief, this book definitely tries way too hard. im not a fan of the writing - it has a low quality fan fiction vibe to it. im not a fan of the characters - shane is one of the most insufferably immature characters ive ever read. im not a fan of the overly used pop culture references - theres practically one on every page. i actuall
Deborah Embury
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Short review: "Again, but Better" should be written again...but better.

You can see the full (memes included!) review on my blog here: https://thedeborahembury.wordpress.co...

Angelica
Well, I'm officially impressed. not gonna lie, this was pretty good. I read it in two sittings and was unapologetically grinning like an idiot the entire time.

Rating: 3.75/5

Anyway, fangirling aside, let's get to this review! There were things about this that I absolutely loved with all my heart, and things I didn't quite love all that much and things I just plainly didn’t like.

This book is a combination of Fangirl (a book I hated), Anna and the French Kiss (a book I really liked), About Time (a mov
Amy (libraryofamy)
"You're bolder than before."

*1.5 stars

I so desperately wanted to enjoy this book, you guys. But... it's a yikes from me, dawg.

Again, But Better is Christine Riccio's debut novel. I want to take a hot second to say that Christine (PolandBananasBooks on YouTube) has done incredible things for the online book community. I know that she's incredibly smart and talented. You can see it in brief spurts in Again, But Better... but sadly, she just missed the mark as a whole.

Again, But Better follows Shane Primaveri, a 20 year old girl/>Again,/>Again,
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
upd: this just in: this mess of a book is a nyt bestseller. which is obviously the only reason why it was published. so basically you can publish your dumb wattpad self-insert which hasn't been even properly edited👌 oh wait no you can't, you don't have 400k subs on youtube
(yeah im bitter because i know so many people who are actually great writers and they get rejected while querying, while this absolutely mess wouldn't have ever seen the light if it wasn't for those youtube subs, fight me)
review/>(yeah
Ashley Nuckles
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! This story was the literal perfect blend of cheesy and sweet all in one, and it was a great story to kick off my trip in Europe. For some reason, despite the title, I wasn’t expecting the jump in timeline back and forth?? And then I stayed up until 3am finishing it because I just HAD to know how it would end after that! ;) I saw Christine in every crack and crevice of this story, and loved it.
Sheharzad ⚘
Update: February 11, 2019

pretty sure i'm late to the cover art reveal BUT I MUST SHARE MY FEELS DESPITE NOT KNOWING A THING ABOUT THE INSIDE CONTENTS. i live for overanalyzing art. ps. this is all speculation from a literature nerd.

- see how the division between the white and blue is fluid and not a blunt line in the middle? it appears to be a swaying transition into life as an adult in a new country, suggesting tentative steps to try new things in london. the drastic change in colo
Abbey
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
*groans for 200 years*

I should preface this by saying that I’ve been a fan of Christine for a number of years. She is still a favourite of mine to watch on Booktube and will most likely continue to be a favourite. That being said, I found this book mind-numbing, annoying, and it read like a Wattpad self-insert fanfiction.

~ spoilers ~

Let’s start with the blatant self-insert Christine that is our main character, Shane. Shane is an extremely awkward young adult who is trying to foll
sofia ☾
again, but better should have been rewritten again, but better. this was so bad, unreadable bad. i was screaming from how bad it was bad. the writing, the characters, the plot, everything was far from being good. it makes me wonder whether or not this book would've been published if christine wasn't "one of the most followed booktubers today”.

shane: shane needs change. her life as a pre-med student with good grades but no friends and far from being in any relationship isn't doing it for her anymore. and what better waytoday”.
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
UNSAFE READ FOR THE ROMANCE SAFETY GANG. SAFETY INFO AT THE BOTTOM OF MY REVIEW. WHY CAN'T "AUTHORS" STOP TRYING TO ROMANTICIZE DISLOYALTY AND CHEATING?
description
Yet another New adult book labelled as YA.
Main character is in College and her language and her conflict is of an adult woman. An immature woman, but an adult nonetheless. And at times she uses strong language. Again, but better is not vulga
Fabian
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF-ed on Page 152!
I tried y'all, I really did. But No. No. No. No. No. N to the O! NO!

Let me keep this 100, the first 40-50 were actually quite good. They grew on me, kinda like a rash.
I found Shanes struggle to put herself out there, to be more open towards other people & to do all the things you're supposed to do when you're 20 incredibly relatabel. Apart from that tho... gurl WTF!

1st) I've read a few reviews about this book, before I've read it myself &
Nick
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this just because Christine wrote it, because she is an amazing person.
Gabby
DNF @ 200 pages
Bleh, I wanted to love this book but for real this was starting to put me in a slump. I absolutely love Christine, she’s the first booktuber I ever started watching and she’s a huge inspiration to me, and a huge part of the reason I started my own channel. But this book was just not for me.

I was not a fan of this writing style- it read like cheesy YA or fanfic or something. There were times where Shane felt sooo relatable to me (mainly the quotes about her family making fun of her for ne
Vicky Who Reads
28 September 2018

Oh WOW look at this cover! Not what I expected, but I really love the colors (the green is GORGEOUS). Illustrated covers are awesome!

7 August 2018

but OKAY ALSO WHAT IS THIS--LONDON YOU SAY i am a stereotypical American of course i like British things (shh let's not talk about the revolution). and second chances!!! and British things!!! and feeling like a boring person (because who DOESN'T feel like their life is repetitive?)!!!

5 December 2017

Although I'm always somewhat hesitant to read novels by "popular" (it's a relative termrepetitive?)!!!
5awesome!
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
DNF few chapters into part 2.

I started reading Again, but Better on 5/6/2019 and finished it on 5/8/2019. This is a book that I shouldn’t pick up based on the cover because the cover is cute. Right away I enjoyed the humor, especially when Shane slapped Pilot on their walk to the grocery store. I like that this book focused on an introverted girl who has a hard time making friends let alone dating. Being an only child, she does what her parents wants including doing the pre-med major in college
may ❀
i'm SUPER bummed right now bc i was EXPECTING such a fantastic book but the story was really disappointing and the dialogue was so immature and the characters felt so juvenile, ughghghghg

basically it felt like i was reading badly written fanfiction and i am Sad

rtc
monica kim
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
another book i picked up “before bed” that basically stopped me from going to bed because i couldn’t put it down. 😂

anyways, i genuinely adored again, but better. i was constantly surprised by the turns of the plot and the character choices. i loved getting to know shane and her friends, and i loved getting to watch her grow so much over the course of this story.

side note, but the time period this is set in is literally the exact year and semester that i studied in london, and it was so so fun
Jenna
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
If Christine Riccio were a book, she would definitely be this one.
Main critique: not enough bananas 🍌
Leona  Carstairs
Like Shane herself says: "With five out of five, there's no room to grow! Maybe next time will be five stars." And I totally agree! I think this book was amazing but slightly flawed and I am SO excited to read Christine's future novels because I'm sure they'll be even better. (The book to me is more around 4.5 stars.)

So I guess I'll start with the couple things that irked me. I personally don't like when the word "like" is overused in dialogue. It might be accurate to the way people talk now but it an
Trina (Between Chapters)
I happen to love rom coms with the specific magical element that is present in Again, But Better so I really enjoyed this. (Seriously, just check my Netflix list.)

My thoughts were a roller coaster while reading - meaning that there would be things happening that I'd immediately hate, only to turn that opinion around once they were more developed and explained. For instance, I thought the pacing was odd. The first part is very wordy and it takes a long time to get to The Main Plot Thi
Horse Cryptid
12/6/17

Saw some Discourse TM on twitter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents that no one will probably read but I just wanted to throw out this perspective anyway. Putting it under a spoiler cut so you don't have to see it if you don't want to. :P

(view spoiler) ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Again, But Better by Christine Riccio - Restarting 4th September 2019 21 74 Sep 11, 2019 01:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Needed 6 34 Jul 11, 2019 05:20PM
Drop Everything A...: Again, but Better 2 28 Jul 01, 2019 08:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book edition missing correct page #s 3 43 May 22, 2019 05:37AM
ARCs 3 235 Oct 09, 2018 06:31PM
The cover 1 45 Sep 28, 2018 03:03PM
Final Round
3,675,922 Votes Cast

• Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Rest of the Story
  • With the Fire on High
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Opposite of Always
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
Christine Riccio has been on a quest to encourage more humans to read since the third grade. No one really listened until she started making videos about books on Youtube in 2010. Now her channel PolandbananasBOOKS has over 390,000 book-loving subscribers. She makes comedic book reviews, vlogs, sketches, and writing videos chronicling the creation of her own novel. She’s also one of the three YouT ...more
“Shane. Interesting name for a girl,” he teases. I narrow my eyes. “Pilot. Interesting name for a human.” 25 likes
“You're bolder than before.” 17 likes