Start by marking “Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet

Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet

Take one scientific swain, one dashing lieutenant, one no-nonsense librarian, one adventurous young lady, one very large tomcat, and two mischievous kittens…and what do you have? Two recipes for disaster! Or perhaps for love…

Kisses and Catnip by Grace Burrowes

Max Haddonfield is a man of science, devoted to logic and rational observation. That he also finds homes in librarie/>Kisses
Published October 8th 2019 by Grace Burrowes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Perils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Other Perils

Start your review of Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
BJ
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
1st short story with a military H, travelling to see his family and meets the h on the coach. She's lovely, full of light and laughter and in 1 amazing day, they realise if they can survive this trip they can survive anything, and they fall in love. Sweet love story. The 2nd novella had a smart and very nice h, just about on the shelf and the H liked her very much. Unfortunately he wasn't as smart as he thought, and listened to evil OM, and made decisions based on nasty lies. I liked her a lot, ...more
Janet
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two well written short stories that are Purr- fect for whiling away a couple of hours

Kisses and Catnip, by Grace Burrowes
Max Haddonfield has always enjoyed science & experimenting. Antonia Mainwaring is practical to a fault and all but on the shelf. When a certain soft-spoken library patron talks her into allowing a large male feline to bide on the premises, somebody starts purring--and it's not the cat!
A well written charming read, I loved both Max & Antonia who both
Kate
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a sucker for cats and kittens my response when I was asked if would care to receive a no-obligation ARC was 'Bring It On'!! The two stories have two things in common - really well observed descriptions of the antics of cats and kittens, and good dialogue.

Lieutenant Mayhew's Catastrophe is a classic road romance, you just know from the beginning of the stagecoach journey that something is going to happen to do with the kittens that is going to throw Will and Willemina together. The
Corinne
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I really liked (=4*) these two delightful short stories with precocious cats included in each. I found the main characters of both stories interesting. There is good dialog without interminable thoughts of the characters to distract. The depictions of the cats' (mis)behavior is very good. Warning for those seeking squeaky "clean" reading: both include a (mild) sex scene. I read an advance copy; the thoughts expressed are my own.

Emily Larkin's Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophes describe
Rainer Prem
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two novellas ... with cats. Each is around 30,000 words long.

Lt. Mayhew's Cat-astrophe: A straight-forward romance story which takes only a couple of days between "boy meets girl" and "do you want to marry me". In that light, it's not surprising that the story lacks a real villain and the normal tribulations of a growing relationship. On the other hand, all the characters-especially including the cats-are well worked out and believable, and the mishaps that bring the protagonists tog
SiriusB
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Purrrr-fectly delightful !!

Emily Larkin and Grace Burrowes bring us smart, independent heroins and the handsome men who love them for it... a heady combination that dishes up well-seasoned romance with great chemistry, fun banter, and tender intimacy.

One tale set for a couple who come to know each other via a series of outdoor ‘perils’ or adventures, and the other a tale of two thinkers who discover their match in each other outside the world of balls and dinners in a lib
Monica
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two delightful novellas from the Regency order. Lt. Mayhew’s Catastrophe is a secondary character in Emily Larkin’s series. The novella is so delightful! I truly smiled all through it and it made me feel so happy! It’s a book that will truly lift your spirits.

Grace Burrowes is a new author for me. I thoroughly enjoyed her story, Catnip and Kisses. It has characters who are intriguing. I’ll be looking for her other books in the series.

Two totally delightful books!
AG Reads
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr, novella
4 stars for the Burrowes' story, 3 stars for Larkin's.

I wish so badly that Ms. Burrowes' novella had been a full length book. I have waited forever for Max (Adolphus) Haddenfield, the mysterious, science-minded brother, to get his own book. I really think Max and Antonia could have been my favorite couple from this writer. I need more about the science library, and the cats, and the orphaned kids! So much potential here and I hate that we didn't get to see it fully realized.
Narrelle
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
It’s always delightful to have a new Emily Larkin story to read, and when Ms Larkin announced this duet novella with Grace Burrowes, both stories with a prompt to include cats, I (naturally) pounced.

Given both novellas contain Regency era manners, cats and a love story, they’re very different while both being very charming!

Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophe by Emily Larkin

Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophe doesn’t contain any of the fantasy elements of the Baleful Godmother series, but/>Lieutenant
Rose Blue
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, as reviewed at Roses Are Blue: https://wp.me/p3QRh4-ZS

Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophe by Emily Larkin
4.5, warm

Lieutenant William Mayhew is a soldier on leave, traveling by stage to visit his niece and nephew, with a gift of two kittens in a basket for them. He can’t help but notice the lovely young lady, who gives him a polite smile, but shows no inclination to flirt. Willemina Culpepper is the daughter of an officer, now deceased, and knows better than to encourage any stranger.
Astra Astrid
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I went into this with some trepidation. I committed to reading and reviewing it because I'm a fan of Emily Larkin. I've been very happy with everything she's written, so far, and am impatiently waiting for her next full length story.
Grace Burrowes, on the other hand, I can take or leave. I like some of her work but not all of it. I don't think it's even most of it. However, needs must.

Ms Larkin's story is Lieutenant Mayhew's Catastrophes. Personally, I think it should have b
Gudrun
I liked both novellas very much ( thus 4 stars) and enjoyed reading them. Although set in Regency they don't tell the usual plotline with simpering debutants, ballgowns, suitors and size of dowry.

In "Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophes " we accompany Lieutenant Mayhew and Miss Willemina Culpepper on their way from London to Southampton. It is just an eighty miles journey but in the company of two kittens this does not progress as expected. Every mishap you can imagine befalls them, befo
lori huff
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun

Two cheerful and romantic novellas in one book. Emily Larkin's selection, Lieutenant Mayhew's Catastrophe, is charming, a tale of whatever can go wrong, going wrong, and the two main characters accepting all their bad luck with fortitude and a smile. Throw in a couple of mischievous kittens, and who can resist loving the story. The two main characters are drawn to each other right from the start, so their misadventures only serve to illustrate how right they are for each other. It's all
Carrie
Probably 5 Stars but I'll reassess when I read Grace Burrowes' novella.

Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophe By Emily Larkin
5 Stars.

I loved this from the pun in the title to the HEA. Lieutenant William "Will" Mayhew and Wilhelmina "Willie" Culpepper (yes the similarity in names comes up) travel from London to Southampton with two kittens. In only 18 hours a lot happens: a storm, a sprained ankle, mud (lots of it), a talkative farmer, a taciturn farmer, a scaredy horse, a big horse, a love that's meant t/>Lieutenant
N.W. Moors
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grace Burrowes and Emily Larking have combined with a couple of cute novellas, perfect for a quick evening read. Ms. Burrowes is one of my favorite romance authors and often participates in collections, but I find the other stories don't match up. I'm happy to report that I found both stories here equally charming.
Ms. Larkin's novella is actually a continuation to a book of hers I just finished. I enjoyed it much more, to be honest. Willie and Will are adorable, a soldier's daughter and a
Brenda
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Although I liked both of these stories. Grace Burrowes Catnip and Kisses was my favorite of the two.

Catnip and Kisses by Grace Burrowes

There is nothing better in my opinion than the story of a bookish miss and a third son who is making his way in the world while rescuing both orphans and cats from sure starvation and maybe worse.
The cats and the orphan make this story in this reader's opinion.
I gave this special romantic novella 4.75 of 5.0 stars. The passion is br
Sandy
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet kittens and sweet love.
Two of my favorite writers have joined together for this regency delight. Lieutenant Mayhew's Catastrophe by Emily Larkin brings Willemina Culpepper on a coach from London to Southampton then making a stop to pick up additional passengers one with a basket that makes noises. William Mayhew has a secret can it and a mystery bring two people together? I love their adventures this was such a fun story.

Kisses and Catnip by Grace Burrowes is a really quick read and
Sharyn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grace Burrowes is one of my favorite writers, someone I need to read everthing she writes, especially the Haddonfield's. I love Max and was really happy with his story, he loved kittens, he was trying to invent an easier way to make bread, his assistant was a street urchin, what is not to love. Then he meets a volunteer librarian (which as a retired librarian made me quite happy).Many happy little side stories that come together for a happy ending.
Emily Larkin's story was equality fun, a w
Angela
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This contains two romances novellas by Emily Larkin and Grace Burrowes, each set in the regency period with cat themes.

Lieutenant Mayhew's catastrophes by Emily Larkin is a gentle, well told story which ties up the story of Will Mayhew who we met in Lady Isabella's Ogre. I like how Emily Larkin's romances often explore new relationships, almost providing advice on how to go about it! I do prefer the stories with more action though - such as the Baleful Godmother stories, this one is
Julia
Oct 02, 2019 added it
I had the pleasure of reading Lieutenant Mayhew's Catastrophes as an ARC without having to provide a review, but I am more than happy to do so. The story is a lighthearted, fun romp full of comedic situations that befall our star struck duo like a cascading run of dominos. But when you were brought up following the drum nothing perturbs you and you soldier on with a smile, thank goodness. The minor sex at the end is glossed over and appropriate to the marriage and certainly not offensive. altoge ...more
Barbara
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actually...four HIGH stars. This is interesting (t0 me); I enjoyed the first novella -- Lieutenant Mayfield--a lot but I suspect that has a lot to do with having first read "ogre." And recognizing that a positive attitude is a good thing. (Sadly, clinically depressed person here never managed that.)
I actually loved the second novella (my first Burrowes) Libraries, intellectuals, books, cats and kittens, children in need. and wanting to learn! Yes, my kinda book. OK, and a title somewhere,
Heidi
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful romp that will lead to me picking up more books to read. I adore these little shorts Grace Burrowes partners up with other authors to create. I find she is an automatic buy author for me, and I love her writing style... then of course start enjoying whomever she created the set with.

I will be looking for other books at some point, but know these quick little reads were the perfect escape today, and still connected enough to other books to search out a series if you enjoy them.
MELISSA
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful

Two novellas full of humor, good people, fine dialogue and endearing HEAs. Emily Larkin and Grace Burrows are both authors I enjoy and these two novellas continue my enjoyment and respect for their work.
Marianne
Both stories in this anthology featured rather adorable cats. The main characters were quite nice too. I think I liked Emily Larkin's story a bit more (it was more developed) but there were some great moments in the Grace Burrowes novella.
Frances
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Love...

Surprisingly, Larkin's tale was the better of the two. I already follow Burrowes and will read something by Larkin to see if she is as good at writing a book as she is at a novella.
Sijing
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
First time reading anything by Emily Larkin and it was one of the most charming stories I've read, not least because of kittens!!! Here's to hoping the rest of her repertoire is equally delightful. Grace Burrowes gives an excellent showing as always.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both stories but the Emily Larkin one was my favourite. She's an author I've only recently discovered so I'm working my way through her previous novels.
Mskychick
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the cat themes tying these novellas together!
Lieutenant Mayhew’s Catastrophes by Wmily Larkin- 4 stars
Catnip and Kisses by Grace Burrowes- 3 stars
Mum
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable duo of stories, even for someone who doesn’t care much for cats.
Cc
If you like these authors voices it's a solid read. If you've never read them before, you'll get a pretty good idea of how they execute a story.

• Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • The Minx Who Met Her Match (The Brethren Book 4)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • Lady Osbaldestone’s Plum Puddings (Lady Osbaldestone's Christmas Chronicles, #3)
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • No Dukes Allowed
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
  • Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)
  • The Beguilement of Lady Eustacia Cavanaugh (The Cavanaughs, #3)
  • Lady Isabella's Ogre
  • Dukes by the Dozen
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • Primrose and the Dreadful Duke (Garland Cousins, #1)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more