Start by marking “A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present” as Want to Read:
A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present

A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A seasoned teacher and talented historian, Professor Merriman s offers a carefully crafted narrative that guides students through a vast amount of complex material, integrating the many aspects of the European experience into a larger, interconnected whole. A full 10% shorter than its predecessor, the Second Edition has tightened organization throughout to make room for re ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 1365 pages
Published February 19th 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Modern Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Modern Europe

Laurel Kane
Jul 02, 2010 rated it liked it
this is actually not a joke... I'm doing Merriman's self-guided European History class on Yale's open course site. it's not like i have anything better to do right now...
Edgardo
Finished with this Leviathan of a book.

Quick warning: this is truly an academic history book, so don't go thinking you'll get Tuchman-esque writing and/or dramatic/epic representations of European history. This book is functional to the very last drop, but a great companion to your history book collection.

What you will get:

1. Good, concise writing
2. Writing devoid of pedantic and opinionated ramblings
3. A great general survey of modern European history
4. Good starting point for your research in
وسام عبده
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
بدون قراءة مثل هذا الكتاب، لا يمكن فهم كيف تطورت مفاهيم يظنها البعض اليوم منزلة كاملة، مثل العلمانية والديموقراطية والليبرالية والاشتراكية والمواطنة والدولة الحديثة والقانون وحقوق الإنسان والمجتمع الدولي. قارئ الكتاب يمكنه أن يتتبع بين الأحداث العنيفة التي عصفت بأوروبا طوال تاريخها الحديث، ما بين الحروب والاضطهاد الديني والثورات، كيف نشئت مثل هذه المفاهيم لتلبية حاجات اجتماعية واقتصادية وسياسية ابنة بيئتها ووليدة تاريخها، إلى أن تبلورت في شكلها الحالي، وباعتبار المنطق التاريخي، لا يمكن اعتبار أن ...more
Galicius
Mar 26, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a textbook to a Yale course HIST 202: European Civilization, 1648-1945 by the author. The course is available on line.
Eya Beldi
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
To all lovers of History, a magnificent book is waiting for you. though what I didn't like that I was reading it just to know more about Spanish history but unfortunately it was max 10 pages out of 1324.
Hideki Kino
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Much of what I know about Modern Europe is knowledge derived from John Merriman's "A History of Modern Europe" Volume Two textbook, chronicling the era from Napoleon to the 1990s, providing me with a great basis of the circumstances and effects of groundbreaking events such as, the rise of modern democracies, both World Wars, the Cold War, the Fall of Communism, and the rise of Iron Curtain states / Soviet Republics.

Volume Two is a heavy read (a semester's worth of reading at over 500 pages), bu
MJ Huot
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Honestly, I think this book should be required reading for any and all serious history students. Great for both review and research in regards to Western civilisation between the renaissance and the present.
Justin
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh god I finished. I read every page. Every, single, page.

Just give me a moment... I'll be okay...

okay... let's get started.

Well the book is high on information content but the writing itself is pretty poor, and quite a chore to slog through. The author has a weird habit of repeating words within a single sentence... something like: 'the german states... of the german states... than were in the german states...' I won't cite specifics, you see it nearly every other page and I think it helps emph
Aila
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
My AP Euro teacher's making us read this book and he showed us a bunch of Dr. Merriman's lectures from Yale University.
He always said he likes this text better than the others because it is much more detailed, but I find it pretty dry and hard to read.

God, imagine outlining it too.
img
Nathan
Feb 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ignore
This is the driest reading material I have had to deal with. Of course I've never had to read a textbook before so that really isn't a great description for the book. And it's so long! Like 1350 pages or something like that! And I'm only on page 760! Gaaah! Stupid AP European History book. This is going to be on my currently reading shelf for like another three months at least.
William Nist
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I used this book as 'the' Text for a Teaching Company Course--the Long 19th Century. Both the course and this book were excellent and highly recommended. The text is clear, thorough, yet concise. For a summary of the period, I can't imagine a better source. The book is 1500 pages so it is a major read for anyone, but well worth it.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the text for my junior year European Revolutionary History class. I read a ton of books in college but this stands out as one of the better ones. I actually enjoyed my reading assignments for this text. It's thorough and informative without being dry, and includes some analysis of events and how they relate rather than just a straightforward recitation.
Meri
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-history
Was my university textbook for the subject 'the making of modern Europe' . Good book, easy to read.
Soo
Mar 27, 2007 added it
Book from my history class. Easy, fun read.
Karla Callejas c
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Awesome reference book !
Leenie
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
VERY HELPFUL
Shannon
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Good as textbooks go, occasionally bizarre writing / strange facts... Merriman has a huge crush on Gustavus Adolphus.
Manon Joris
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will help any IB History student
Will
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-history
I read most of it in college, but I recently re-read the whole thing. It is remarkably easy to read, if you discount it's size.
Marian
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, history
Read parts of this for my 19th cent. European history class. Lots of pictures, maps, and charts; the author clearly has opinions, but it's not bad for a textbook.
Ruby
May 13, 2017
  • A History Of Western Society
  • Over Here: The First World War and American Society
  • The Myth of Nations: The Medieval Origins of Europe
  • The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648-1815 (PENGUIN HISTORY OF EUROPE)
  • To Be a Princess: The Fascinating Lives of Real Princesses
  • Nicaragua: Living in the Shadow of the Eagle
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • A New History of India
  • Early Modern England, 1485-1714: A Narrative History
  • True Stories of D-Day
  • A Concise History of the Middle East
  • World War I
John Merriman is Charles Seymour Professor of History at Yale University. Born in Oregon, he received his B.A. and Ph.D. at the University of Michigan. Merriman received Yale University’s Harwood F. Byrnes/Richard B. Sewall Teaching Prize in 2000, and was awarded a Docteur Honoris Causa in France in 2002, and the “Medal of Meritorious Service to Polish Education” (Medal Kimisji Edukacji Narodowej) ...more
More about John M. Merriman