Start by marking “Britfield and the Lost Crown” as Want to Read:
Britfield and the Lost Crown

Britfield and the Lost Crown

Britfield & the Lost Crown is the first book in a thrilling seven-part series for middle school and young adult readers. It will inspire children to engage both their creativity and their critical thinking skills as they encounter actual places, authentic characters, and exciting but realistic events in seventeen action-packed chapters.
Based on family, friendship,
Published July 1st 2019 by Devonfield Publishing (first published June 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Britfield and the Lost Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Britfield and the Lost Crown

Start your review of Britfield and the Lost Crown
Erin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our Thoughts
We love this book! Obviously, you’ve already guessed that. We probably wouldn’t keep saying it’s a new recommended reading if we didn’t even like the book!

I have had seven children ages 8 through 14 who read this book on their own during our review period. They ALL loved it! That’s saying something given the age range and that these are both boys and girls with lots of varying interests. Now I can’t wait to start it as a read-aloud because I’m excited to read it too.

Some of the
Laura  Lane
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Britfield & The Lost Crown by C.R. Stewart

Britfield & The Lost Crown by C.R. Stewart
A book to get lost in with a good cup of tea...
the British answer to everything!

Britfield & The Lost Crown by C.R. Stewart is billed as a kids' book. Yes and no. Yes, it is an exciting read for kids, but no you don't want to miss it just because you're an older teen or adult!

Britfield sounded thrilling to me. I like juvenile fiction. It's usually clean (this is) and if it's good, has a great
Yvonne
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I read this book together as part of the Homeschool Review Crew. She would ask at times to go and read it by herself but I would beg her to wait for me because I was as interested in this book too!! Britfield & The Lost Crown is a fast based adventure/mystery novel for children ages 9 and up, but adults don't turn your eyes away because it's a book for juvenile readers because it will get you hooked after the first chapter. There were many suspenseful moments and twists that ...more
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Tom has lived at Weatherly Orphanage for most of his young life. Run by a miserable lot, Weatherly is more like a prison than an orphanage and the kids there are deprived of many things, including books to read. The kids at Weatherly, who are all referred to by numbers rather than names, take turns sneaking books from the main house where the owners live. This worthwhile but dangerous task is done in the dark of night and each of the older kids takes a turn to ensure the orphans will have a ...more
Jennifer Newell
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic amazing and full of fun! I can not say enough about this story! This is a very enjoyable adventure with Tom and Sarah.

In an orphanage being treated terrible, Tom discovers his parents could be alive. So with the help of the other kids in the orphanage they escape trying to get to London. Along the way they find help from the kindness of strangers.

Will they get to London? Will they find out if Toms parents are alive?

I won this book from an authors goodreads giveaway. The thoughts and
Emma Filbrun
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, review-copies
We enjoyed reading this book aloud together. The adventures and narrow escapes kept us wanting to keep going until we reached the end, although shortly before everything was resolved we figured out the truth of what was happening. My older children who were listening as I read thought the book was a bit over the top, and not realistic. I agree—but as far as an adventure story it was a lot of fun. There was a fair amount of questionable language which I didn't appreciate, and several instances of ...more
Kristen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool, review
I had the joy of reading Britfield & The Lost Crown this summer. I love British history so I was very intrigued knowing that the book would be set in England (and also take the readers on a journey throughout the English countryside to London).

The story reminded me of a Charles Dickens novel in the beginning - Tom and Sarah both live in an orphanage and are forced to work for the evil owners of the orphanage. For the first several chapters, we read of the plans being made for Tom and Sarah
Emma
Sep 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I’m reading this because I heard about it in an article putting it up as an amazing perfect alternative to the “demonic” Harry Potter. The article cracked me up so I thought I would read this to see if it’s even half as good in plot/writing quality/etc. As all the reviews here I read are by the same sort of people (mostly Christian mom bloggers) I thought I would read it and give a review from a different perspective. Who knows it may by ok, it may also be terrible so let’s find out. If this ...more
Rose
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway, thank you so much!! Wow, what a delight! Just think 383 pages of action, packed with adventure and the kids didn't need to use foul language, no immorality, just breath holding, page turning surprises & fun. Decriptions that make you feel as though you are in the scenes with the characters. I learned alot about England & it's different landmarks. I can't wait for book #2!!! I purchase & edit books for my schools' library. The kids grades 5-12 will love ...more
Rose
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant story to listen to. The Narrator was just great, loved how he did the female Scottish accent. There was enough twists and turns to keep me highly entertained.

I always go into children’s books expecting to see a lot of stuff, where I just shake my head at. Just them moments where you go ‘really?’ I found with this story, I never did. It felt realistic enough, the children used their common sense. They did their best.

(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the Publisher. Does
Brenda
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Da Vinci Code for a new generation. C.R. Stewart weaves a tale with twists and turns using the English backdrop just as skillful as Dan Brown. Our entire family can't wait til the next book.
Wendy Ross
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is captivating, exciting and suspenseful, and keeps you at the edge of your seat. The writing is descriptive, making it possible to visualize the English countryside as you sail overhead in a hot air balloon. Your preteens and teens will enjoy it, I'm sure.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Great plot, wonderful writing, lots of twists and the main characters are superbly woven into the story. I was sad when I got to the last chapter, but happy again to find out the author will continue the story with another book next year!!! Can't wait to read the next adventure!
Barbara Ranous
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful adventure story for both children and adults. Very much enjoyed reading this story. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read and review it. Appreciate it. Recommended reading.
Dustin Eves
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down

The characters are endearing, the chase was exhilarating. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't wait until the next one comes out.
Becca-Rae Weidel
*4.5 stars*
Britfield was a fantastic adventure, jam-packed with the perfect amount of adventure and suspense to keep the pages turning. One of the markets in dire need of more content is fiction for advanced middle grade. The targeted audience is 9-12 year olds, but coming in at just shy of 400 pages (as book 1 in a series) and with quite the sprinkling of more advanced vocabulary--it's one that would a appeal to the more avid of young readers. As someone who highly values parents reading to
Patti Pierce
While this book is geared for youth, as an adult I found myself caught up in the story. Imagine thinking you were an orphan all your life and then you find out your parents are possibly still alive. This scenario is exactly what happens to Tom. Growing up in a series of miserable orphanages with only one thought of eventually escaping, Tom finds himself forced to flee with his best friend Sarah.

Full of danger, mystery, intrigue, and adventure, this book was definitely worth reading. My one
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

I usually don’t read a lot of YA books, but this one sounded interesting and since I love beautiful and interesting book covers, this one drew me in. The first few chapters are not so appealing, as they talk about the orphanage Tom has lived in n most of his life. But when he finds out his parents may be alive, the exciting journey begins. And all Tom can remember is Britfield. But back at the orphanage, things are in an uproar and they must find the two runaways asap.

Jenny K
Good kid read. The opening chapters were nothing new...badly treated orphans in an orphanage run by greedy adults. The ending was fairly predictable. My biggest issue with this book was the unrealistic interactions between the children. Very stilted conversation; stiff, brief, and awkward. It’s like the author can’t remember what being a kid was like or can’t imagine how two kids would speak together.
Janelle Cole
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I can fall in love with a great young adult fiction book, or even a great children’s book! I simply love books!!

Britfield & The Lost Crown is a book that I fell in love with from the start! This is a very fast paced novel with many twist and turns and you really never know what will happen next!

The characters are amazing! I loved meeting Tom and Sarah and joining their adventures as they broke out of a terrible children’s home. Right before getting out they learn that Tom’s parents
Monique Dupuis
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed

Wow! Can’t wait for book two in the fall of 2020. Same class as Harry Potter. Read aloud to my 7 year old and be loved it.
J.E. Grace
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Britfield & The Lost Crown is an adventure with suspense and lots of action. Tom & Sarah rush through London with the police and bad guys trying to catch them.

The author's writing style is geared for the young, but held my interest as an adult reader. The characters are humorous, witty, and very creative in avoiding being caught. There are a lot of twists throughout that would keep a young reader thinking what will happen next.

The storyline is fresh; the characters are strong as young
Britt Hanson
I was given this book to read in an exchange for a review, and honestly, it wasn't my fave. I marked is as did not finish, although I did skim through the majority of it and feel like I understand the plot fairly well. It is middle grade fiction, so I didn't expect too much of it, but even then it felt like very juvenile writing and didn't capture my interest at all. That said, I bet true middle grade readers will enjoy it.
Robin McCann
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and it is a perfect mystery for grades 3-6. It kept me interested as an adult as well. There was a lot of learning hidden in there. Although, at times I felt there was a bit too much about location descriptions and history for this age group. I think it is a fun way to learn. It was also not too scary.
Emily (emilyreadsbooks)
Two orphans escape from their awful orphanage and embark on an adventure across Great Britain trying to evade a cunning detective, a shady assassin, and people from the orphanage. Despite the writing not being 5 star level, I did want to know what happened next and loved the setting and historical/architectural details sprinkled throughout.
Karen
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful, thrilling adventure with lots of action. Throughout the book, as Tom and Sarah try to avoid being captured after running away from a horrible orphanage, we learn a lot about different sites in England
Claudia Gerwin
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-general
Intrigue, escape, suspicion...juvenile/young adult fiction. A rollicking good time. Waiting patiently for the next instalment.
Christina Morley
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished reading Britfield and the Lost Crown by C.R. Stewart to my youngest child, Amanda (age 11). The story begins with Tom and Sarah trapped in an orphanage where the children are exploited and deprived of an education and proper nourishment. Sarah remembers life before being an orphan, but Tom has spent most of his life as one and doesn't really remember much else. He only has one clue about his past and that is the name Britfield. While Tom and Sarah are on the run across ...more
Brenda
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-a
I liked this one. There was a lot of action and adventure. The mystery about Tom's past kept sneaking in, but it went well with the adventures. I liked the characters and did see the little twist with the detective, but didn't see it about Speckle. I will look for the next book in the series to read more about Tom and Sarah's journey.

CA

• Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Identity Theft
  • How Great Is Our God: 100 Indescribable Devotions About God and Science
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
  • Fragments of Fear
  • Wally's Misadventure
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family #2)
  • Andrew (The Petersheim Brothers #1)
  • The Art of Rivers (Coastal Hearts #3)
  • NIV Beautiful Word Coloring Bible for Girls: Hundreds of Verses to Color
  • The Other Half of Happy
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Teaching Art in the Primary Grades: Sailing through 1 2 3 Grades
  • The Bright Unknown
  • The Telegraph Proposal (Montana Brides #3)
  • Laced
Born in Newport Beach, California, C. R. Stewart has twenty years of experience writing fiction, nonfiction, and movie screenplays. His areas of expertise also includes film and media production, global strategy, and international marketing.

“Britfield & The Lost Crown was conceived as an idea over 10 years ago while enduring a boring finance seminar. It started as a sketch of a hot air