Start by marking “Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  716 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The ultimate quest for the world's most mysterious creatures.

The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman -- these are the names of the elusive beasts that have caught the eye and captured the imaginations of people around the world for centuries. Recently, tales of these "monsters" have been corroborated by an increase in sightings, and out of these legends a ne
Published August 5th 1999 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Cryptozoology A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cryptozoology A to Z

Cryptozoology A to Z by Jerome ClarkDestination Truth by Josh GatesIn the Wake of the Sea-Serpents by Bernard HeuvelmansChamp and a Bit of Sunshine by Mark D. TrollingerThe Chupacabra & the Bat Rastard by Mark D. Trollinger
Cryptozoology
29 books — 13 voters
A Tolkien Bestiary by David DayGnomes by Rien PoortvlietFaeries by Brian FroudFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt ScamanderThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
Bestiaries
176 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Rory
Feb 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Most people shy away from things like the Loch Ness monster and chupacabras out of fear of being branded some sort of conspiracy-theory-type lunatic, but I find Cryptozoology to be a fun little hobby.
It doesn't just involve all sorts of creatures that have only been seen on grainy home video. Some creatures, like the coelacanth, a prehistoric fish long thought to be extinct, that popped up off the coast of Indonesia, or the giant squid, which was finally found off the coast of Japan recently, b
Brian
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The ultimate in bathroom reading!
Jackie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars (did not finish). I give. After having this book checked out from the library for months, I surrender. While I'm still very much interested in folklore and cryptozoology, do you know how difficult/boring it is to read an encyclopedia?
Quicksilver Quill
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun and imaginative read about unknown or hidden animals. The encyclopedic format worked well although at times it became slightly tedious to encounter the many entries on various obscure cryptozoologists. I felt that maybe having entries on a few of the better-known cryptozoologists would have been an improvement, and then devoting the extra space to expanding the articles on the animals; here and there an article felt like it could use a little more love.

All in all, it was enjoyable, but if
April
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. Very interesting(especially to me, because I love this kind of stuff, but I'm sure other people would love it too).
Tim
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I like that this included animals that started as rumor but actually exist (like the coelacanth) in addition to more fantastic things like the Mokele-mbembe or Nessie. I do wish that there was less page space dedicated to cryptozoologists and more dedicated to the actual animals.
Christian
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable book if you want to know about cryptozoology and cryptids. Quite wide ranging and covers a lot, but in a linear and straightforward fashion. Perhaps not designed to be read quickly despite its size, it is still definitely worth a read.
John Orman
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sasquatch and Chupacabras--they are in here!

Much is made here of the Patterson film of 1967, in which a Bigfoot was purportedly filmed at Bluff Creek, CA.

I learned of a Bigfoot display at Washington State University in Pullman, WA. In Willow Creek, CA, there is a carved Bigfoot, and the Museum of Bigfoot. I was only 20 miles west of there when I stayed in Arcata during my Redwood tour. This book also noted the Legend of Bigfoot museum in Garberville--wish I would have gone south of Eureka to see
Sy Snootles
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun enough, but read altogether it gets repetitive. At least 10 different regional types of Bigfoot are discussed, despite there being little difference in their description. Ditto with lake monsters. The authors also interspersed the interesting bits with biographical entries on their friends. If you take a drink every time they mention Bernard Heuvelmans you'll be dead by page 50. It is also criminally under-illustrated. This could've been better executed, & I'm sure there are newer books ...more
Jasmine
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: n-a
so this is a book for people who haven't met Occam. I mean lets be real some people see a panther in england for a while, clearly this is an unidentified species not a panther that escaped from a zoo...

there is a yeti, since he lives in such a remote area this may be true, there are like a hundred yetis in different locations... this is true for all of them...

it looks like an orangutan but has less hair. clearly this is a new species not just a sick orangutan...

not to mention the hundreds of a
Seizure Romero
A fun book with a decent appendix for those interested in further research. I'm a little miffed they left out Mothman, though. C'mon, don't you agree that a red-eyed winged omen of Doom deserves a little respect? I guess Colman was holding out for his later title Mothman and Other Curious Encounters.
Dave
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Despite being highly sceptical about the existence of any of the cryptids described in the book (although it would indeed be cool if they did), I still found it interesting to learn about the people who study them and the truly global nature of the supposed sightings and how similar they remain across geographical and cultural boundaries. Even if you take it as pure fiction it's still interesting to read about what some people believe is out there to be discovered.
Mord McGhee
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the interest of cryptids and identifying the sources of where and when they have been reported, there is no better book written in a linear, alphabetical standard. Great for beginner cryptophiles and well-read cryptozoologists everywhere. One of the absolute classics in the field.
~Mordy
Ellie
Dec 28, 2011 added it
It's not bad, and pretty in-depth in some cases, but an unnecessary amount of space is given to information about cryptozoologists, especially the opinions of writer Loren Coleman, which are generally presented as the correct view.
Andrea Carl
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Whether or not you acknowledge the "science" of cryptozoology, this is a fascinating write-up on undiscovered and unproven creatures... as well as a few recently discovered species (eg the okapi) that continue to fuel cryptozoologists and believers.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This a wonderful reference source that Mr. Coleman, the world's foremost cryptozoologist has written. He has included hsitorical references, myth and hypothesis on each creature discussed. read it with an open mind and you will want to find out mor.
Cara
An interesting collection of supposed mythical creatures that have been seen on Earth over the centuries. I wish there was more elaboration on the creatures and less emphasis on the people that found them.
Conner Kennedy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Abraham Ray
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
nice cryptozoology book!
Lauren
Comprehensive, read for reference. Man, people see weird things.
Sophia Jones
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and informing. Hopefully they'll make an updated version sometime, seeing as this is from 2001-ish.
Ashley
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed through this one and read about select creatures.
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
it's on it's way via amazon...yea amazon
Corinne
Feb 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is interesting but also take into consideration that it is an encyclopedia and not recommended for light reading. It's a great and simple way to do some research on hidden creatures.
John
reference,cryptozoology
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Good information, but seriously needs to be updated! I wonder if a second edition is in the works?
Valary
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
some cool facts and photos
I loved the coelacanth and the okapi sections about animals long thought folklore who have been found, captured, and photographed. Okapi now exist primarily in zoos.
Rudyard Lynch
rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Marquis
Mar 28, 2018
Craven Lovelace
Jun 27, 2015
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • The Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved
  • The Cryptopedia: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange, and Downright Bizarre
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods  Goddesses
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America
Jerome Clark is an American researcher and writer, specializing in unidentified flying objects and other anomalous phenomena; he is also a songwriter of some note.

Clark is one of the most prominent UFO historians and researchers active today. Although Clark's works have sometimes generated spirited debate, he is widely regarded as one of the most reputable writers in the field, and he has earned t
More about Jerome Clark