Start by marking “The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate” as Want to Read:
The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate

The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate

It began in 1913 with a glorious new highway—stretching across 3,389 miles and 13 states—that connected the bright lights of Broadway with the foggy shores of San Francisco. It was a magnificent and meandering road that enticed millions of newly motoring Americans to hop into their Model Ts and explore the fading frontier. The Lincoln Highway. It was the road of Gettysburg ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton Company (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lincoln Highway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lincoln Highway

Start your review of The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate
carl  theaker
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The Lincoln Highway is the Route 66 before Route 66 was Route 66. The Lincoln stretches across the northern USA and though it is ‘The Father’ of the US highway system I daresay, no one has ever heard of it.

Appropriately, co-author Mike Wallis takes on the task of telling us about this highway, he is also the author of the popular ‘Route 66: The Mother Road”. As in previous books, Wallis takes the highway state by state through the heartland of the US exploring the restaurants, turns and twists
Nancy Noble
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book - if we ever do the Lincoln Highway we'll have it right in the front seat with us!
Richard Kitterman
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Revealed a lot of history -- it wasn't until after I'd read this book that I realized I had driven on the Lincoln Highway. Now I am thinking about driving its full length some day.
Claudia
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I drove on a section of this road to work for several years. Intrigued by what was east and west of the portions I have not driven, I just had to read this book.

While not as famous, perhaps, as it's southern counterpart, Route 66 that now mostly follows I 40, this Road is US 30 and starts in Times Square and ends in San Francisco. It is parallel to I 80.

It goes through Gettysburg and Pittsburgh and through East Liverpool Ohio where Pretty Boy Floyd met his untimely end. Along the way are art d
John Orman
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Attractions on the Lincoln Highway are grouped by state, with somewhat sparse descriptions.

I especially paid attention to the attractions around Joliet/Plainfield, IL, where the Lincoln crosses two alignments of Route 66. For 3 blocks of road in Plainfield, the two classic roads overlap!

I also learned about a third highway--Grand Army of the Republic Hwy, which runs from Cape Cod, MA to Long Beach, CA. It also runs through Joliet.
Roxanne
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the Lincoln Highway that began in 1913 and it stretches across 3,389 miles and 13 states that connects New York,s Time Square to the San Francisco Golden State Brudge. This was such a wonderful book, it has great information in every state you would drive through, interesting facts, and lovely photographs. You really need to read it to enjoy it and understand it properly.
Terri
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: road trippers
A really fun book! Part history, part travelogue, part picture book, this book gives a very detailed account on the Lincoln Highway, from NYC and ending in San Francisco. Each chapter focuses on a different state that the highway goes through. My only complaint is that the wide page format makes this book really hard to take with you anywhere or for reading in bed!
Amy
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
An interesting cross country tour traveling the Lincoln Highway (U.S. Rt. 30 through most of the country), one of our most scenic by-ways.

I obtained some history about many obscure places and discovered a few things that I would like to go and see.
Gordon Gravley
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Take a road trip without leaving your couch. Great photography and stories of a bygone era. Travelling by car just ain't what it used to be.
Paul
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book that has good information on another famous American road, which covers a truly good slice of Americana, from coast to coast.
Bettyb

• I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring
  • The Pilgrim's Progress
  • Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History
  • The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
  • Beethoven's Hair: An Extraordinary Historical Odyssey and a Scientific Mystery Solved
  • Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1)
  • Something in the Blood: The Untold Story of Bram Stoker, the Man Who Wrote Dracula
Michael Wallis is the bestselling author of Route 66, Billy the Kid, Pretty Boy, and David Crockett. He hosts the PBS series American Roads. He voiced The Sheriff in the animated Pixar feature Cars. He lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma.