Start by marking “The Hidden Book in the Bible” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Book in the Bible

The Hidden Book in the Bible

Renowned biblical sleuth and scholar Richard Elliot Friedman reveals the first work of prose literature in the world-a 3000-year-old epic hidden within the books of the Hebrew Bible. Written by a single, masterful author but obscured by ancient editors and lost for millennia, this brilliant epic of love, deception, war, and redemption is a compelling account of humankind's ...more
Published August 18th 1999 by HarperOne (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Book in the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Book in the Bible

John
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crisis-of-faith
With appreciation from Dr. Friedman's scholastic honesty and sincerity, I am enjoying reading about an approach to Biblical studies that should otherwise enrage me as a believer. As I read, thought, my interest in the Bible as God's Word is strengthened not challenged. My faith has a tighter grasp of its hope in the message of Scripture and I continue to see it as more than good literature or merely the first history or prose.

Any talk of viewing the Bible stories or discrediting its miracles as
James M. Madsen, M.D.
An excellent follow-up to Friedman's earlier work Who Wrote the Bible, this book restores what Friedman considers to be the text of the core story from the Old Testament. I find such reconstructed texts (as in The Five Gospels, by the Jesus Seminar, or, in a fantasy setting, The Silmarillion) to be both exhilarating and problematic, but Friedman's excellent writing carries the day.
David Holmer
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have been brought up believing we have to "rightly divide" the Bible (II Tim 2:15) and I think Friedman got it right!
David Peck
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bible brought to new level

Having read all of Friedman’s books, he still manages to bring my understanding and love of the Bible to new levels
Sue
This book represents the consecutive writings of "J" as interpreted by Friedman. It's interesting and beautifully put together (after all, isn't this person a Bible writer, eloquent and poignant?), but at this time I'm more interested in reading the whole history of the times, including the documents found from neighboring states, to gain a greater understanding of how this faith I subscribe to took shape - its context, its culture, its times. This book will stay on my shelves and I'll pick it u ...more
Jcurmudge
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Interesting concept based on linguistic research. The early books of the Bible contain what was just one major work from Adam to Solomon. The original author used only the 4 letter "word" for God throughout (YHWH) and never variations of "elohim". It certainly makes sense to me. In our time other writers would have been sued for plagiarism.
Kilian Metcalf
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Way over my head. This is a work for people who are very grounded in Torah and knowledgeable about Torah scholarship and research. I understood about one word in three. Not his fault, the lack is mine, but readers should know this is not for the average person.
Crystal Hunter
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Compelling scholarship and very readable text.
Sandra
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, johns-find
interesting book --worth paging through....
Andrew
Feb 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Oxford History Of The Biblical World
  • Maimonides: The Life and World of One of Civilization's Greatest Minds
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
  • Peter, Paul & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History & Legend
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy : A New Translation with Introductions, Commentary: 1
  • Antichrist: Two Thousand Years of the Human Fascination with Evil
  • The Other Bible
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • Whose Bible Is It? A History of the Scriptures Through the Ages
  • King David: The Real Life of the Man Who Ruled Israel
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
RICHARD ELLIOTT FRIEDMAN is one of the premier bible scholars in the country. He earned his doctorate at Harvard and was a visiting fellow at Oxford and Cambridge, a Senior Fellow of the American Schools of Oriental Research in Jerusalem, and a Visiting Professor at the University of Haifa. He is the Ann & Jay Davis Professor of Jewish Studies at the University of Georgia and the Katzin Profes ...more