Start by marking “Knit One Below: One Stitch, Many Fabrics” as Want to Read:
Knit One Below: One Stitch, Many Fabrics

Knit One Below: One Stitch, Many Fabrics

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The bright idea behind this guide is to build an entire collection around one simple stitch that creates many intriguing effects. Shown in knitting instructions as "k1b" (knit 1 below), the technique involves knitting into the stitch one row below the stitch on the needle with either a knit or a purl stitch. The result is an easy-to-knit fabric with wonderful drape and fle ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Xrx Books

To ask other readers questions about Knit One Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knit One Below

Susan Eubank
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved the technique. I wish there were slightly more complicated projects....
Janet Richards
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm making a vest with this stitch from the book. I thought for a long time it wasn't worth the bother, but saw a LYS shop sample and wanted to make it. Once you get the hang of it the stitch is not as complicated or time consuming as it initially appeared. It's always nice to learn a new technique.
Cheryl
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun technique and well written patterns. Lots of good information on how and why. Most of the sweaters are oversized, drop shoulder style - not to my liking. I made the belle flair skirt for my daughter - well received (easy care made in the recommended linen). Planning on making one or both of the camisoles and maybe the large square mohair shawl.
Mckinley
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
A lot of the patterns look very similar to me and a lot is boxy which isn't good for my shape. I didn't see much that I'd want to make so hence the 2 stars. I might try out one pattern to see how this technique works.
Kathleen
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
Recommended to Kathleen by: Interweave Knits book review
Shelves: knitting
The writer gives clear instructions on the technique, however I found the garment instructions a little too vague. If you don't need step by step instructions I suspect you'll enjoy the book a bit more - the technique is neat and the results are charming.
Sue Klasing
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing new knit stitch that gives beautiful effects to your project. I found about a dozen projects in this book that I want to make, along with great visual instructions on how to master this new stitch.
Lil' Grogan
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: handmade
Interesting idea for a knit book. Really picked this up to look for the discussion of techniques surrounding using the basic stitch, i.e. cast-ons, bind-offs. Liked that she actually discussed design elements and offered choices to the knitter for the same project.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Dates approximate.
Anne
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Cool looking projects and an interesting technique. I cannot wait to try it out when I finish the sweater, two pairs of socks, assorted scarves and hats I currently have in the queue.
Liz De Coster
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies
A great idea but some weirdly frumpy, dated colors and examples.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Very pretty but very similar and it looks too time-consuming for the look that can be accomplished other ways.
Laura Tejada
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I have made two projects already from it and am casting on for the third. Excellent way to use your stash!
Jerri Shankler
Feb 05, 2009
Lisa Leavitt
Dec 30, 2012
Aquit
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2010