Start by marking “Pop Babylon” as Want to Read:
Pop Babylon

Pop Babylon

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
How do you make it as a pop star? Why does one boy band make it big and another disappear off the pages of the magazines altogether? Why do girls cost more than boys? And who should you sleep with to get to number one?

Packed with scandal and intrigue, Pop Babylon takes you to the dark heart of one of the world's most wicked and secretive industries. It's a world where mone
310 pages
Published 2008 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Pop Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Babylon

Alarra
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Nothing new, and I love that this is filed under non-fiction at my local library. True scandalous tales and statistics from the music industry fictionalised as a year in the life of a manufactured boy-band. I think she'd be better off writing these as actual non-fiction exposes, because the fictional prose is crappy.
Sam Still Reading
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who want an insight into the pop industry
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read other Babylon books
Pop Babylon is another book in the Babylon series that includes ‘real-life’ experiences from hotels, hospitals, aeroplanes, resorts and now the world of pop. These books are light reading and somewhat hit and miss for me. I loved Hotel and Hospital, but not Beach as much. Why do I keep reading them? Well, for two reasons: they’re easy to pick up and put down when I’m working extra long hours and I’m nosy – I want to know what’s really going on. Plus, these books have been in abundance recently a ...more
Kingfan30
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
I have read most of the Babylon series now and they are written pretty much in the same formular but different themes. This one was written from the point of view of a manager putting together a boy band. There is a lot of name dropping which I'm sure went down well with the actual people! And it's also full of the 'I remember when...' stories. The way that the money is divided from album and ticket sales was an eye opener, you really have to be very successful to come out with anything. I think ...more
Petra Eggs
Sometimes a 5-star book is a well-written, spellbinding story, sometimes its a quick, fast read of a subject that leaves you with your mouth open. Wow, could this sort of shit really be true? Its so phenomenally out of my sphere of experience that I can't wait to turn the page to see what is the next step on the road to fame (and its great that the book names names).
Peter Jansens
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Once there was a time when one bloke met another bloke on the train, carrying some blues records under the arm, and, with the help of some other unemployed friends a successful rock band was born, although rock was often the last thing on their mind. "I hope they don’t think we’re a rock’n roll outfit", said Mick Jagger when he announced the very first Marquee outing of his little rhythm and blues band in Jazz News. If you would like to know, it was on Thursday, July 12, 1962 and the lineup was: ...more
Natalia Lena
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Popularne przysłowie mówi, że ciekawość to pierwszy stopień do piekła. Jeśli to rzeczywiście prawda, to Imogen Edwards-Jones do piekła zjeżdża windą. Ta popularna brytyjska pisarka i dziennikarka jest autorką bestsellerowej serii ,,Babylon”, na którą, jak do tej pory, składają się następujące tytuły: Hotel Babylon, Air Babylon, Fashion Babylon, Beach Babylon, Pop Babylon, Wedding Babylon i Hospital Babylon*. Jak widać, spektrum jej zainteresowań obejmuje chyba absolutnie wszystkie branże.
W tej r
Chris Bertenshaw
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I love the Babylon series. They're informative, funny, well-written, and always about areas that I know are going to have interesting stories. Pop Babylon is no exception, as you can well imagine the tales of celebrity-excess that are brought up within it's pages, as we follow the fictional (but based on real events told to the author by those in the business) year in the life of a band manager, as he tries to put together a new boy band to rise to the top of the charts.

Imogen Edwards-Jones has
Femke
Jul 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, roman, not-good
Ik kocht dit boek in een 2+1 aanbieding en dus had ik al een idee dat het niet zo heel veel soeps zou zijn. En ik kreeg gelijk. Je leest over een boyband en ziet hoe hun de popmuziek proberen te veroveren, best leuk hoor zo'n kijkje achter de schermen maar naar een tijdje wil je gewoon een echt verhaal en dit zit er helaas niet in... De karakters zijn eigenlijk ook een beetje dubieus en je weet gewoon niet wat je van ze moet denken. Na een tijd begint het gewoon te vervelen om te lezen, het is i ...more
Sue_o
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Another fast, fast, fast pop read - I read this in two days on my commute. Imogen Edwards-Jones was on to a winner when she invented the Babylon series, in which she writes a fictionalised, insider's view of an industry that intrigues us, by interviewing a source or two. Pop Babylon's protagonist is fun: a pretty gross, lazy, immoral record industry manager who's creating a boy band to cash in on what is already a dying craze. The book itself feels a bit lazy, but there are some great, cynical m ...more
Nicki
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not the best of the "Babylon" series. I really enjoyed the air one, beach was so-so, this one is really quite tame.
I didn't like the main character at all. Cringeable cliched, horrible person I didn't enjoy reading about. The boy band was marginally better, would have preferred to read more about them, maybe with more detail to their personal lives and how "fame" was effecting them.
Some interesting tidbits about real life bands and their excesses. That part I found good. Really a true tell all
Jonathan
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gone
Read this on a plane over a year ago. Despite the promises of insider insights this is just a novel of a year in the life of a band's manager. The band are idiots who have a great time (i.e. sex and drugs etc.) before resenting their manager, believing their own publicity etc. etc. An easy read, I had forgotten I had read it.
Anna Domańska
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, hall-o-shame
A bunch of anecdotes cobbled together into a cutesy book. Very quick and satisfying, feels like a long magazine article.
Good fast read for anyone slightly interested in the pop industry, especially manufactured bands. This would be better as a collection of "guess who don't sue" anecdotes, it is a bit thinly held together at times.
Carlito
Nov 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Pathetic. The plot is only used so the author could fill in with the bits and pieces of what famous people are like sometimes or how do they behave. Nothing that you didn't already know or couldn't assume just by reading daily newspapers or news sites.

k.
Gary Firkin
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I got half way through and all the name dropping and repeated wording just killed it for me. Its fun to start with but sort of teeters off. I got halfway through, whereas as air Babylon I got most of the way through. I like a funny book too but just not this one. . Same style same Author.
Louise
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book, but I was a little disopointed by it. It was just full of lots of pop star "cliches" and the band were horrible. I did learn a few things, however it isn't the best book I have ever read.
Audrey
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Man, I have *got* to stop reading these books.
Iman Hasanbegovic
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
The story is not so interesting, but the facts are.
Nadia Yustina
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
this could be your reference on how to manage a boyband
sharon
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
totally trashy but kind of fun. would have been more fun if i knew anything about various british boy bands. which i do not.
Monica
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting fictionalized look inside the world of the music industry. If this doesn't make people have second thoughts about becoming a musician, they have nerves of steel.
Iris Windmeijer
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dutch
I loved these series!
Estelle
Oct 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
madsenmel
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Not as good as Hotel Babylon, and if you're not up on your British pop stars and slang, then some of this book won't make any sense...
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
One of the weaker Babylon books. It was vaguely interesting. Anyone outside the UK may just struggle with the famous names mentioned, as a lot of them are UK based.
Christine Harris
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok

Couldn't finish as felt it was so awful - not up to the same standard as the other titles in the Babylon series!
Erika Zorko
Jul 07, 2012
Adeline
Jun 02, 2012
Lana
Jul 23, 2015
Susan Conneely
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2012
rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Party Animals: A Hollywood Tale of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll Starring the Fabulous Allan Carr
  • Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Lady on the Hill: How Biltmore Estate Became an American Icon
  • Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39
  • Softer Than Steel (Love & Steel, #2)
  • Consumed (Lost in Oblivion, #3.5)
  • The Philosopher's Apprentice
  • Forget
  • Have Mother, Will Travel: A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World
  • "Why Do I Love These People?": Understanding, Surviving, and Creating Your Own Family
  • Shattered (Lost in Oblivion, #4)
  • The Night Train