Start by marking “The Ghost of Thomas Kempe” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Thomas Kempe

The Ghost of Thomas Kempe

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,438 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
When James and his family move to an ancient cottage in Oxfordshire, odd things start happening. Doors crash open, and strange signs appear, written in an archaic hand. James finds that the ghost is the spirit of Thomas Kempe.
Published 2006 by Egmont (first published 1973)

Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Annual re-read. First encountered at the age of ten, in primary school (in fact I still have Mrs. Halsall's own copy, sorry, Miss) and loved since. Lively's enduring ghost story tells of James Harrison being haunted by a bad-tempered C17th poltergeist whose distaste of the modern world manifests itself in vandalism and arson as well as writing angry notes.

Entertaining and engaging, although much of the language is probably, and sadly, beyond a lot of today's ten-year-olds - phlegmatic for examp
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
James has recently moved to an old house. Soon mysterious writting appears and James starts to uncover the past. In parts this book has a lovely sense of hunour and the main character is reminiscent of Just William.
Shonna Froebel
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This children's novel centers on a young boy, James and his family. They've recently moved into an old stone cottage in Oxfordshire, and the attic room has been fixed up for James' bedroom.
Besides James there is his sister Helen and their parents. Shortly after they moved in, a dog appeared and joined the family, and James named him Tim.
Strange things are happening around the house and James is getting the blame, but he isn't responsible. Gradually James begins to realize that there is a ghost
Beth Bonini
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I really want a 3.5 rating.
For me, that would mean "this book is good at what it does but it has not completely engaged me."

This is a ghost story that plays it straight; in other words, it takes the idea of ghosts seriously.
When James and his family move into an old house, all sorts of strange disturbances plague them. James attributes their cause to the ghost of Thomas Kempe, who quickly reveals himself to the boy; everyone else, too rational for ghosts, believe that James is to blame for all o
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book from beginning to end!
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great little page turner. Not at all scary - the ghost is more obnoxious and annoying then frightening. It's a strong story well told.
I loved this delightful, charming book about a boy and his ghost. I bought it as a gift but could not stop reading once I had started. Lively's prose is, well, lively (sorry), and the book is shot through with generosity of spirit, wit, humour, and warmth. This was light without being trite. It's how a children's book should be. It also makes me want to seek out more of Lively's writing.
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite an irksome beginning I enjoyed this novel’s uniqueness, a protagonist who was eventually relatable, and a tour of archaic crypts. In a typical English village: the parish and school have run for eons, residents have traversed those generations, and so have the houses. Thus when workmen renovate an attic for the son of new homebuyers, they uncork a pest. Many would relish acquainting a ghost but this was an egocentric sorcerer.

A drawback to children’s literature, from whence much of my gh
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
This is a conventional ghost story because it is about a boy being haunted by a ghost. It is an unconventional ghost story because it is not scary, nor is it trying to be. The boy is never scared, just irritated and put out. He only really starts to get scared when something terrible nearly happens to someone else.

James Harrison is being haunted by the ghost of Thomas Kempe, a sorcerer who lived in his house hundreds of years before. Now as a ghost he wishes to reestablish himself as a sorcerer
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This book, which won the Carnegie Medal in 1973, seemed a good seasonal selection. (The author, who is now 80, has also won the Booker Prize for an adult novel.) As a ghost story, this book is not actually scary; rather , it is a thoughtful story that spotlights the flow of time. It brought to my mind the Green Knowe books of Lucy Boston. The young protagonist is not in a large manor house, but in a centuries-old cottage. Still, the pressure of past lives intruding on present ones is a similar f ...more
Pam Baddeley
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
Interesting tale from the 1970s of a boy, James, who moves into an old cottage where the attic has been converted into a bedroom for him, and in the process workmen have disturbed the bottle prison of a troubled spirit from the 17th century, Thomas Kempe. Soon Kempe begins impinging on James' life, insisting that the boy be his apprentice and publicise Kempe's many sorcerous talents for finding lost objects and providing services such as alchemy. Kempe doesn't 'get' modern life and his response ...more
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm 13 and we had to read this in my english class for school work. I honestly found the book very boring and slow, there was nothing that caught my attention or made me want to read more. My class of 20 students all agree with me. This book should be aimed towards a much younger audience of 7-9 years, though I can't see it ever entertaining me as I was reading Harry Potter at that age.
Jacqui Spink
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this and really enjoyed it - not at all scary, told in the quite matter of fact voice of a young boy - some lovely observations about family life, a little historical information and a nice resolution. Can't wait for Maddy to read it and have added some other Penelope Lively books to our library.
David Tendo
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This was witty and a lot of fun, in the same vein as Roald Dahl.
Shawn Tipton
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasure to once again read this classic blast from the past novel that I first encountered in the mid-1990s in middle school (UK). Penelope Lively does such a fantastic job in bringing the Oxfordshire town of Ledsham and the Characters therein alive.

Brief summary follows -

The Harrisons have just moved into East End Cottage on the edge of Ledsham in the early 1970s, things are going well for the family and our protagonist James, aged 10 in particular, yet the book waits for no one and t
Juliet Mike
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
In summary, James encounters a poltergeist. The ghost of Thomas Kempe is initially mischievous, but mischief escalates to vandalism and then to arson. James is under suspicion but his family and friends don’t believe in ghosts so he cannot explain what is happening.

There is a coming of age element to the story. James, imaginative and resourceful, has to find his way through the problem without his parents support. First he seeks information (I love the depiction of the public library- and it is
Maria Harper
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Was I the only year five student who was genuinely scared sh**less by this book? I have rated it as middle as I possibly can because I don’t know f it’s a good or bad thing that I’m not 27 and still the idea of it brings flooding back the memories of my 10 year old self lying in bed at night after Miss Caleys literacy class convinced I was Gona experience the same things James did.
I have read as many reviews as I am here and no one else seems at all phased by it! (Even 13 year old reviewers!) m
Selvianty Selvianty
James was a cheerful and bright young lad who liked to made pranks and teased his sister. When The Harrison family moved to this old house, all sorts of poltergeists started. And only James knew what it was or who was causing it. I got chuckles from everytime he teased Helen, his sister and sensed his frustrations about this ruckus caused by an ancient sorcerer's spirit that still lingers in the house. When things escalated, James grew sorrowful, he's no longer playful. he's helpless. I enjoyed ...more
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A good children's book. The plot is simple and flies along but woven around it are reflections on aging and remembering the past. The parents are great- unsentimental, direct and essentially decent. I like the picture of the village that we get, rooted in its place, weathered by time and essentially unchanging.
Siti Noor Afiq Idris
Not exactly what I was anticipating for. It is true to the title, but there is not much spooky/scary elements added in (to my relief as i do not like scary stuffs, but also a let down cos the title made me thought there will be scary element). Also, I find it quite difficult to read Thomas' messages which were written in weird spelling.
Angela Tuson
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Penelope Lively's writing is always the draw for me; when I find another book by her I jump straight into it. This is my favourite so far, the first one I read. The ghostly Thomas would not have been out of place at Hogwarts.
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fantasy, family
Liked parts but didn't like the pace overall or the writing style.
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It's well written but she's no J. K. Rowling when it comes to telling a story. I don't think we'll pass it on to our 10-year-old granddaughter who is a Harry Potter fan.
Michael McFarland
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I'd read this in 1973, when it came out. I'd've been 10 at the time...
Ian McNair
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A suitable story for children? No. I'd hate to be the parent comforting a child who had nightmares after reading this.
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good read for children of all ages.
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Penelope Lively. I have one of her adult fiction books lined up to read soon. But something about this book pulled me to read it first. I bought three of her children's ghost stories. I am going to pass them on to my grand niece when she comes to visit me in Holland this coming summer. I am hoping she will enjoy as much as I did.

James is a young boy who has moved in on old cottage at the end of East End Lane which is the last house in the village of Ledsham. When his p
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2014-books
I have such vivid memories of listening to this when it was serialised on Radio 5, back before Radio 5 was turned into the sports station. They used to serialise dramatised children's books, and this was one that they did (The Conjuror's Game is another that I remember). I recall being really quite terrified when listening to this; reading the book as an adult didn't frighten me at all (except (view spoiler)). Largely ...more
John Mccullough
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another "keeping-up-with-the-grandkids" book. And this is an "early" Penelope Lively book written for young adults but still enough good stuff for the older crowd, including me. The Harrisons move into an old house in a small Oxfordshire village. James, their son, draws an attic room that hasn't been lived in for years and years. Workmen renovating the room for him find a bottle hidden in the wall plaster and accidentally drop it. Oh, oh. Soon Master James is confronted by an angry polte ...more
Andy Weston
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published in 1973 and recently reissued Penelope Lively's ghost story is aimed at children aged about 10 to 14. Despite that I took a quick read of the copy I had as a present for my nephew and was richly entertained.

Amongst her skills is to write a suitably haunting story for that age group. The young protagonist encounters many of the classic constituents of a good ghost story; he moves to an old gothic house, a graveyard, and buried treasure. What goes down best with this age group
  • The Haunting
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Minnow on the Say
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • The 18th Emergency
  • The Little Grey Men
  • Ash Road
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • A Traveller in Time
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Little Bookroom
  • Uncle
  • The Cuckoo Clock
Penelope Lively is the author of many prize-winning novels and short-story collections for both adults and children. She has twice been shortlisted for the Booker Prize: once in 1977 for her first novel, The Road to Lichfield, and again in 1984 for According to Mark. She later won the 1987 Booker Prize for her highly acclaimed novel Moon Tiger.

Her other books include Going Back; Judgement Day; Nex
More about Penelope Lively...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00