Start by marking “Hondo & Fabian” as Want to Read:
Hondo & Fabian

Hondo & Fabian

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,731 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Hondo the dog has a fun day at the beach while Fabian the cat stays home.

" Wake up, Hondo. Time to go!"
Hondo will have an adventure.
Fabian will stay home.

A dog named Hondo and his friend Fred are going to the beach for a day of excitement. Fabian the cat is left behind at home to play with the baby. Who will cause more trouble? And who will have more fun?

Peter McCarty's e
Published April 1st 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Hondo & Fabian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hondo & Fabian

Lisa Vegan
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat & dog lovers and very young children
The paintings are gorgeous and unusual, and fun. I particularly like the one where the cat is playing in the bathroom.

This is a very spare and simple story with few words that is suitable for the youngest child. There isn’t that much to the story but it rings so true and it’s charming.

There are 4 characters: Hondo the dog, Fabian the cat, Fred the dog who’s Hondo’s friend, and a toddler/baby.

This author-illustrator obviously knows dogs and cats because he captured them so perfectly.

I think very
Dolly
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute story about the lives of two household pets. Demonstrates the differences between cats and dogs, and yet also shows how similar they can be. It also subtly highlights the love we have for them. Nice illustrations, kind of a fuzzy watercolor style.

This book was selected as one of the books for the May 2017- Caldecott Honors 2003-2007 discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Luann
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents to share with very young children and all dog and cat lovers
It is very apparent that Hondo and Fabian are a real dog and cat. Peter McCarty has captured the essence of "dog" and "cat" perfectly using very few words and very nice illustrations. Dog goes on an adventure. Cat stays home. Dog runs into the ocean waves. Cat runs from baby. My favorite picture is of the cat having fun in the bathroom unrolling the toilet paper. I recommend this for parents to share with very young children and all dog and cat lovers.
Cat
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful little story. I loved the illustrations! Nice one for little pet lovers.
The cat unrolling the toilet paper roll was hilarious! I witnessed my own kittens do that on a couple of occasions!
Jesse Lasarte
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought this book was well illustrated and the characters (Hondo and Fabian) were designed well. That is, Hondo and Fabian are chubby and cute. Also, as a parent, I thought McCarty's illustration of the child carrying the cat was true to form. I've found that most children enjoy books about cats and dogs. However, the only criticism I have of the story is that it is not meant for all types of children. Specifically, I don't think this book is meant for children that are 7-years-old and above b ...more
Samantha
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A dog and cat spend their days in much the same way. Every other page focuses on either the dog or the cat and in one sentence explains how they are spending their day. Each part of their stories is presented in a two page spread where the sentence describing the action appears on its own page and a full color illustration appears on the other. The pictures are soft and muted and look like what I think a memory would resemble if it were illustrated. The positions the dog and cat assume and the f ...more
Bethany
Jul 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
A day in the life of a dog and cat comes full circle as they begin a sleepy morning, have adventures, and end the day just as sleepy and comfortable as they started. Their adventures are different--Hondo goes to the beach to meet another dog friend while Fabian puts up with small children (getting some toilet-paper rolling in the meantime)--but they each return to their favorite spots in the evening.

The illustrations are soft and gentle in neutral browns and tans. Although I don't usually care f
Drew Graham
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
As the Goodreads summary states, "Hondo the dog has a fun day at the beach while Fabian the cat stays home." And that's about it.

I don't know, I guess I just don't really get Peter McCarty. His art is really appealing, all soft and gauzy and pleasant, but the storytelling just doesn't do anything. I guess this book is a study in contrasts and personality types, but it really just describes some actions and then it's over (with a kind of random P.S.). I don't know, it was fine and The Boy (3) lik
Beverly
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, dogs, cats
This simple, understated story with illustrations in muted browns, blues and reds contrasts and parallels Fabian the cat's day with Hondo the dog's day. The illustrations have a hazy, fuzzy, sweet look. While Hondo is romping with his friend at the beach, Fabian has to create his own fun in the house. But when Hondo comes home, he and Fabian eat dinner side by side, and then sleep in their accustomed spots of Fabian on the windowsill and Hondo on the floor. The story is deceptively simple, but v ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
I read this to Logan many times when he was 4 and 5. He asked to read it again last night. He's almost 10. He remembered it from before(which is unusual)and commented how different it is to read it now that he's older. He said he didn't really understand the story before. I'm not sure what he meant; it's a pretty simple story. But whether he was 4, 5, or 10, he enjoyed it. Very sweet, dreamy illustrations.
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finn-wren, read-aloud
A new favorite around these parts. Hondo and Fabian represent their canine and feline families to perfection, and the story of interspecies friendship hits just the right note. Very nice for reading aloud. Also, it doesn't hurt that the baby in the book bears a very strong resemblance to my own little pill :) We got this from the library but will be getting our own copy in short order. Very much recommended.
Krystal
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabian is wonderful. He gives no shits and does his own thing.
Karen
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My 5 year old's favorite bedtime story. Simple text. Beautiful illustrations -- calm, sweet pictures of a plump dog and cat.
RH Walters
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
The radiant drawings are a 5, but the story is very boring.
Haylee Blystone
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: exam-2
This book received the Caldecott Medal. This book is very simple. To me, nothing really stands out about this book. The art looks like it was airbrushed, as it has a very murky or distorted feel. I felt like I was looking at the pictures without my glasses. The artwork has dull colors and there isn't anything exciting about it. The illustrations are on one page and the text is on the page next to it, so they are side by side. The text is pretty simple too and the plot is not hard to follow. I fe ...more
Amanda Quinn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were very bright and simple with a lot of contrast, this coupled with the fact that nearly every image viewed the animals at a distance led me to believe that we were meant to be observing the characters more than relating to and empathizing with them. An extension of this book with students could be to have them create a similar narrative comparing the daily activities of themselves and their parent, two different animals, or any other comparison.
Christy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hondo the dog has a fun day at the beach while Fabian the cat stays home.

" Wake up, Hondo. Time to go!"
Hondo will have an adventure.
Fabian will stay home.

Peter McCarty's exquisite illustrations and understated wit turn an ordinary day in the lives of two pets into a rare delight.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Cute book, gentle with these softly lit illustrations and story where not much happens. It's one of those books that is perfect for those little 3 and 4 year olds who are still picking up leaves and wondering at them.
My 6 year old thought it was cute, but, she was really beyond the age that the book seems appropriate for.

This probably would have been a book we read over and over if we would have come across it when she was younger.
K. McDevitt
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I accidentally read Fabian Escapes first (sorry! I didn't realize it was an established series!). So when I saw this, I sat down at the library and read it immediately. I love the back and forth between the cat and the dog, with their own favorites and adventures, though they end up back together again all happy by the end of course.

I think the art style is soft and gorgeous. I would happily read more of their adventures!
Maria Rowe
• 2003 Caldecott Honor Book •

This is so cute! The art has such a unique look to it. Wish there was a bit more to the story.

Materials used: pencil on watercolor paper
Typeface used: unlisted
Joanna
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Hondo's life, please!
Seema Rao
The everyday life of a cat and dog in pictures and text
Dominick Marshall
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cat and dog books are always good. Specially when they point out the main differences of cats and dogs like they do in this book and also point out the similarities.
Kathryn Lovell
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecotts
Gorgeous illustrations! This story is great for detailing how you do not have to go somewhere else to have a good time- you can have fun at home too!
jocelyn hanan
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
A simple read, with very bland illustrations with faded color. Would love to know why the illustrator chose this color pattern. Also boring, but could see where a child might find it intriguing.
Stefanie Burns
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
Exceptionally quick picture book showing the differences in daily life of a pet dog and pet cat in the same home. I totally related to this book. A friend of mine has a dog and a cat. I feel this is how both his animals feel. The dog goes out on lots of walks, meets friends, and has adventures, while kitty is stuck behind, her fate left to the determination of others.

It's sweet watching the dog and cat having independent lives, yet sharing meal times and bedtime. The illustrations are muted, ye
David
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hondo and Fabian by Peter McCarty is a sweet book about two pets. Hondo the dog has a fun day at the beach while Fabian the cat stays home.

McCarthy writes, with wit, about one day in the life of Hondo and Fabian. Hondo sticks his head out the car window on the way to the beach. At the beach Hondo runs on the sand and plays in the surf with his dog friend Fred. Hondo wishes he could eat a fish. At last he comes home.

Fabian sits in a chair, is carried around by the baby, and runs away from the ba
Emily Allen
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Hondo the dog, and Fabian the cat are family pets and good friends. When Hondo is taken to the beach for fun with Fred, Fabian stays at home and plays with the baby. Although they are apart, they have a great day and reunite in the evening for dinner and their bedtime. This book won the Caldecott Honor in 2003.

This book has a lexile of 180 for adult directed. Some of the syntax is advanced but the structure is great for 1st grade and below. Reading this on their own, this would be best for 2nd-
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
A cute book. I like that even though Hondo and Fabian are not going to the same place, they are having similar adventures.
Hondo goes to the beach and plays with Fred. They dive in the water, have fun, and he wishes he could eat.
While Hondo is at the beach Fabian is at home. He plays with the baby, dives for the door, has his own fun, and wishes he could eat a turkey sandwich. Then Hondo comes home and they have dinner. They go to their favorite places near each other and go to sleep.
It is a cute
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hondo and Fabian are two loveable pets based on real animals. Hondo is the family dog and Fabian is the family cat. This book features the adventures of the two pets during an average day. Hondo gets to go to the beach to play with another doggy friend, and Fabian gets to have mischievous fun around the house. At the end of the day, Hondo and Fabian curl up in their favorite spots together and fall asleep for the night.
The illustrations are wonderful. Hondo and Fabian are drawn in pencil, but a
  • The Stray Dog
  • A Child's Calendar
  • Swamp Angel
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • The Story of Jumping Mouse
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • A Pocketful of Cricket
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first creat ...more
More about Peter McCarty