Start by marking “Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America” as Want to Read:
Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  941 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Ghosts have been the entertaining subject of many works of fiction, but they're even more intriguing (and perhaps even scarier) when they are the focus of real-life hauntings in our own backyard. An employee of the St. James Hotel in New Mexico watches in shock as a fair-haired toddler with a terribly disfigured face disappears into the floor. This is just one of the paran ...more
Published August 7th 2001 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Coast to Coast Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coast to Coast Ghosts

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonThe Amityville Horror by Jay AnsonHell House by Richard MathesonThe Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Haunted Houses
355 books — 455 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
1,071 books — 1,643 voters

More lists with this book...

Ariel
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Written by Leslie Rule, true crime Queen Ann Rule's daughter, Coast to Coast reads like your friend is into ghost stories and she wants to share a few with you. Leslie has that same warm, folksy style of writing that her mom has. Ann actually provides the intro of the book and they have very similar writing voices. It was a quick read, part history, part ghost story. A lot of the stories were just people recalling different experiences they had. I enjoyed the haunted places the most, especially ...more
Chelsea
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts, non-fiction, own, 2006
I have a weakness for "true" ghost stories. (One of those annoying little conflicts between mind and heart, I guess - I desperately want ghosts to be real, because how neat would that be?, while at the same time I'm well aware of all the science against it. So I read these books.)

This was interesting, in large part because Rule makes it very clear that she believes, and relates her stories of growing up in a haunted house.
Amber
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book mainly because Rule's stories did not appear outlandish or unbelievable. They were all relatable and spoke of all types of hauntings. None of the stories were particularly scary. In fact, if anything, they have me intrigued enough to want to visit many of these places!
Leia
Jun 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like ghost stories
Leslie Rule is a pretty good author and a fantastic researcher in regards to the "true" ghost stories she writes about. I only wish this book could have been longer.
Susan
I have always loved ghost stories and am intrigued by ghost hunters and haunted places. This book was entertaining and interesting. Leslie Rule presented other people's accounts and experiences with hauntings. She also provided historical information, pictures, and lists of haunted places in America. She gave personal connections where possible. Her writing style is easy and laid back.
Elena
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting content, but abrupt writing style takes away the creep factor.
Lynn Salerno
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book
Andrea
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
The beginning of the book seems to state the author wanted to really research hauntings rather than repeat legends. However, that's all she really did. The legends surrounding the Myrtles Plantation, for instance, are often repeated (as they were here) but proven to be false.
Kayla Anderson
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know that I believe it all, but it is creepy! After staying at The Stanley, it's hard for me not to at least believe some of it though. Interesting read.
Amanda
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book was written for preteens. There was no real depth to most of the stories and they certainly didn't give me chills like I would expect from this type of book. Easy read.
Leila Kern
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am on the fence when it comes to believing in “spirits”. I don’t disbelieve but I have never “met” one or, I’m not in tune; I’m not sure. Leslie Rule’s book does pique my interest though.
Rachel
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually didn't finish this book this time around, but I've read it twice before. However, now that I'm older, and I've read many more books, this one kind of pales in comparison. Leslie Rule (daughter of mystery writer, Ann Rule) has amassed a collection unknown ghost stories, mostly taken from individuals who have experienced some paranormal activity in their own homes. Some of them are funny, or creepy, or really cool (like the ghost who does dishes? Yes, please!) But what I found lacking w ...more
Courtney Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed the true-crime writings of Anne Rule, so to find a book authored by her daughter about one of my other favorite topics, ghosts, was a real treat.

Leslie Rule has certainly inherited her mother's talent for writing, bringing a sincere personal feel to her stories and accounts. It is clear that she visited most of the places she writes about, and shares stories she wrangled from reluctant witnesses by way of her personal charm. I was incredibly impressed by the amount of indepen
Ionia
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Whilst I didn't think this was a terrible book, I was a bit surprised at how openly and plainly the author believed in everything she heard from the very beginning of the book. Being a believer in spirits and such is not an issue that blocked my enjoyment of this book, but usually I see authors of such books come at them from a place of neutrality where they don't tend to incorporate their own beliefs into the book. Leslie Rule made herself very much a part of this book, citing her own experienc ...more
Claire
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Not sure what I was expecting out of this one. I've heard most of these stories already from watching numerous paranormal investigative shows. Some of these stories that I haven't read yet seemed interesting enough, though lacking something, though what exactly, I couldn't tell you. I've never been anywhere "haunted" and never experienced anything paranormal, but a few "ghostly" photos wouldn't have hurt to have been included. All the photos are of the houses/establishments, which are fine, but ...more
Kristen Leanna
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Garden variety ghost stories. Not a bad book, but nothing great either. I believe that there are many spirits that get trapped in this world and can't move on, and so I did find this book somewhat interesting, since it can pretty much be summed up to this: Places across the U.S. are haunted, people see and feel ghosts in their midst, weird - and sometimes scary - things happen when there are ghosts around. If you've never heard any ghost stories before and you're interested, then this is the boo ...more
Nancy
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Leslie Rule is a woman after my own heart. She loves ghost stories, having grown up in a haunted house herself, and was lucky enough to be able to search out and write about some great "true" ghost sotries. Love her style of writing and the stories were well researched and had great tales from all over America. Her interviews with people connected with the hauntings were well done. I'm glad that because I love all things ghost and haunting related that I received this book as a gift awhile ago. ...more
Tori
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-read-it
One of the most interesting books i have ever read. I am really interested in ghosts so this was the perfect book for me.Book is kinda inapropriete.More for adults or more mature people.I didnt see the point in the forward by her sister because it wasnt as good as if it was wrote by Leslie herself. I loved how the book was written by herself because they are her actual experiences. Hope you guys enjoyed this book as much as i did.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Leslie Rule compiles ghost stories from across America. She also shares her own ghost experiences. I would have liked to say I truly enjoyed this book but I can't. She leaves you hanging on a few stories and others don't feel fully investigated, leaves you with oh well, must be a ghost. I am giving it three stars because I did find it fascinating and heard a few stories I have not heard about before reading this book.
Jessica
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting enough stories but the author's style is inconsistent - sometimes relying simply the facts and other time putting more of a narrative to the story. I liked that she obviously did her research and had the articles to back up the takes. And the readings from a psychic were interesting, but these things weren't included in every story. Also? The unending writing cliches were more horrible than the ghosts.
Sabrina
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I couldn't put it down! The stories are really good and the fact that they're true, I was scared at night. xO It was really interesting though! I recommend it to anyone who wants some good ghost stories! ^.~ So many scenarios, conflicts, sightings, etc; it has so many captivating stories! ^_^
Keliana Lily
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am paranormal obsessed and this is my all time favorite ghost story book. Leslie has written this book perfectly, the stories give just as much detail as you want to hear and gets right to the point, without boring you the slightest bit. I've never read a book that was written as well as this. If you are wanting to find out about haunted places this will be the best book you will ever read.
Kayla Grow
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I've Always been interested in the paranormal stories, I think they are interesting... I Don't necessarily believe in it but I like the tales people tell of their experiences. This book was good in the sense of the mystery and history put in the text. I love the added pictures and little boxes too. Overall good book
Linda Lipko
Fall is my favorite time of the year and in the area where I live people go crazy with Halloween decorations. I love Halloween and in honor of that, I'm pulling books off my shelf that deal with the supernatural. This book listed some fascinating cases of haunted places. I thought the writing was stilted, trite and cliche, but nevertheless, it held my interest.
Chelsea
The best ghost book I've ever read. It doesn't have any dialog in it at all unless it is between the author and whomever it is that she is talking to. I can't stand it when people who write ghost stories insert tons of dialog. How do they know what was being said? She doesn't do any of that. Awesome! :D
Katie Pickett
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is another ghost story book, that is better than the campfire tales to scare children. It's not quite what I would call and investigation, but it is a well written documentation of what other people portray as paranormal activity. This book is not scary, and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in this type of content.
Kailen Torres
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: melissa kromas
Coast To Coast Ghosts is a verry good book. It tells you about how spirits that live in haunted houses,hotels and school, many other places. What i really like about this book is that they are real stories,not fake like most ghosts stories.
Lexi
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Simple read. Entertaining book. I didn't know what to expect. Seems to have been pretty well researched accounts of ghosts throughout America. I think I enjoyed it more because a lot of it is centered near where I live in Washington.
Brenna
Jul 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't think you could screw up a ghost story. Turns out when you add too much of you're own stories, psychic babble and bad writing you definitely can. I love horror and ghost stories but saying this I would not recommend this unless you want a good laugh.
Tera Marie
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
A rehash of many known ghost stories. What makes Rule's different is that she visits each place, interviews witnesses, and tries to experience these things herself. Not the most prolific writer, but enjoyable just the same.
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Haunted Heartland
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • House of Spirits & Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors
Leslie Rule is the best-selling author of two suspense novels and four nonfiction books on ghosts. She has also published dozens of articles in national magazines, including a November, 2005 article on ghosts and murder in READER'S DIGEST.

Leslie grew up in a family of writers in a creaky old house on a windy cliff which overlooked Puget Sound. "My mother (author Ann Rule) made it no secret that o
More about Leslie Rule

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • Catch Me If You Can
    $10.99 $1.99
“the spoons jumped off the rack. And a couple of times I've heard a man call my name when no one else was here” 2 likes