Start by marking “Proud (DC Pride #1)” as Want to Read:
Proud (DC Pride #1)

Proud

(DC Pride #1)

Will

Did you hear the one about the rich parents who sent their kid to conversion therapy? You didn’t? Well, that’s because it’s not funny. And it didn’t work.

I’m a trust fund baby. The boy with the summer trips to France, the Mercedes for his sixteenth birthday, and the fancy degree from Georgetown. I have everything. But my family didn't believe me when I came out.
Published July 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Proud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proud

Start your review of Proud (DC Pride #1)
Anna Torres
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Desperation can sometimes lead you to more than you bargain for!

What happens when a desperate man applies for a job he does not have the degree for? What happens when someone who seems to have everything does not really have the most important things in life, someone to love and share his successes with?

Two characters who are as vastly different from each other as water and oil, but somehow they find a way to slay their individual demons with each other’s help and come out having someone they
Coco.V
Dec 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (12/20/2019)! ...more
Lena Grey
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

“I strongly believe that love is the answer and that it can mend even the deepest unseen wounds. Love can heal, love can console, love can strengthen, and yes, love can make change.” ~ Somaly Mam (The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine)

Jesse, of ‘Proud’ by Tatum West, is running from an abusive relationship. He is hiding ou’ at his cousin Vince’s, apartment. He should feel relatively safe, but, since he is still receiving threatening text messages from his ex, Gabe, he
Laura ~Passion flower
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

Proud (DC Pride Book 1) (ARC) was graciously provided to me by the author for an honest review. I have voluntarily read this book and have provided my own opinion.

"A Heartbreaking, Nurturing, Prideful Story.."

An intensely gripping, heart-pounding story of hopes and prideful dreams took me on a ride full of dips and turns and slowly morphed into such a heart-warmingly beautiful read..

Proud, by Tatum West, is an immensely busy and important story for all readers and non-readers to consider
Meg
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This new DC Pride series appears to be a spinoff of TW's Bridge To Abingdon series. There is absolutely nothing in this story that cannot be read if you haven't read the Abingdon series. It would just help the reader by making some names match with known characters, and the brief mentions of Jackson Academy.

Jesse got away from Abingdon and made his way to New York City. He was a stuntman and sometimes actor, until he tore his meniscus. At that point, without being able to work, and his current
Ilona Ahrens
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gladly I am leaving my review for this ARC as I very much enjoyed this start of the new series by Tatum West.

As the two main characters are introduced in the beginning of the book, it seems like one is acting from a position of power and the others actions are a result of affliction.
Jesse, fleeing from an abusive relationship is in desperate need of a new job. Being a stunt man (actor) himself he uses some of his creative skills to successfully apply for a position at Wills start up.
Will soon
Lora Graham
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-sex
A few things kept this book from being better for me, and that was because they simply weren't even there. For one, Jesse got the job by lying, but why? The story makes no mention of him ever having tried to apply for any other jobs and getting rejected. In fact, the story starts out with him saying he barely even leaves the apartment? How hard did he really try? On top of that, who risks their whole company and everything they've worked for (Will) by hiring someone whose background doesn't pan ...more
S Paschal
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will and Jesse couldn't be more different - Will is a buttoned up, successful business owner from a good (read super-conservative) Southern family. Jesse has been a bit of wild child - accepted by his family and friends and living an adventurous life.

When they meet, sparks fly, but Will asks Jesse to be his 'fake' boyfriend to finally drive the point home to his parents that he's gay and that status isn't going to change. What happens when things start to seem a little too real?

Will is out,
Yue
It has a promising start, but I honestly couldn't like Jesse, he was grumpy and rude towards Will, whose only sin was that he was born rich. Rich boys have also their own problems, and I understand that some of them are spoiled brats, but to dislike someone only because he is a rich boy seemed too silly to me.

The night when they hook up felt so rushed. Jesse calls Will one night, after practically ignoring their first kiss, play darts and it is, mere minutes later, a "let's go home". They don't
Anabela.M.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse is broken, both emotionally and physically. He finds himself running from an abusive ex,hiding in a new city and without the will to put his life back together. But he really needs a job, that's why he fakes his way into working for Will's company. My heart broke for his struggles and seeing how he considers himself unworthy of Will's interest. And I must say,Will is awesome in treading Jesse's moods. Despite his own insecurities, he does everything in his power to show Jesse how truly ...more
Catlou
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is so much more than a simple love story. It’s Jesse’s story of survival, trying to escape an abusive relationship, & Will’s story of courage, struggling to be his own man against his uptight and strait-laced upbringing. It’s a tale full of drama, dealing with rigidly prejudiced parents and a sociopathic ex, and the effects of domestic violence, and Will’s determination to break through Jesse’s wall of insecurities and lack of self-esteem. The emotional pull of this story starts out ...more
Tami Bryan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clyde
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will Marshall comes from 'old money' which means that he must conform to long-held societal norms, but he's gay and that won't work for his family. Jesse Boatwright forged a career as a stuntman that aggravated his partner. A stunt that went wrong leaves Jesse unable to continue as a stuntman and his partner has become dangerous, so he takes off to try to start over. He gets a job, with a padded resume, at Will's company. The interview ignites instant attraction. The plot is full of twists and ...more
Elaine Gray
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse just got out of an abusive relationship and he needs a job. Since he’s an actor he able to get a job in Will’s company with no problem. Jesse feels like he’s not worthy to be in a relationship, especially with Will, and he’s not willing at first to be with Will. Will knows that Jesse is hiding something from him so he takes his time with dealing with him. Tatum West wrote a very romantic, emotional book that you can see all the characters feeling coming off the pages. I love the pep talk ...more
Faye Kennedy
A fantastic book from the start to finish. Poor Jesse, having a horrible baggage from his Ex which has a sad effect on his confidence on everything he does. I loved that Will was there and job popping up at the right time. Will was going through his own problems with his parents but he figures there's more to Jesse's not tellings. Includes homophobic parents, possessive boyfriend, therapy camp talk, secrets and danger but also hot hot scenes.
Jesse is dealing with a horrible Ex also having no
Kathryn Manzella
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PROUD is the first book in the DC PRIDE series, by Tatum West. It is a fun fake boyfriend turns real m/m romance. There are secrets, lies, family drama and a crazy stalking ex. There are sweet moments and heat passionate kisses... and so much sexier scenes between Will and Jesse. Theres humor too that will make you smile. Will and Jesse are great characters and the evolution of their relationship is sweet. Supporting characters are fun... There are a few I really want to know more about and hope ...more
Brenda Motza
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just freaking loved this book.

I was wondering how Tatum was going to move on from the boys of Abingdon and well, she just proved it.

Jesse and Will. Jesse is running from his physically and emotionally abusive ex, Gabe. Will, owns the start-up company that Jesse just happens to apply for employment at out of desperation, even though he knows he is not qualified. Both of these men have issues. Will has told his parents time and time again that he is gay and they just won't accept it until Will
Jackie D
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! 'Proud' is a multifaceted story of Jesse and Will, the trials, styles, and smiles of opposites attract, trying to move forward with an abuser standing in the way, family ties strangling their existence, survival, guilt... I could go on!
Tatum West took the many layers seemed them together flawlessly. Giving us, a heart of hearts connecting the missing puzzle pieces love story that left me in a better place than when I started!
Book #1 in the DC Pride Series I cannot wait to see who's story
PortlandAvidReader
Fake boyfriends to lovers

A great multilayered mm romance story. There is so much more to this book than just a couple guys falling in love. Jesse is a desperate guy newly escaped from an abusive relationship, and unemployed. Will is the CEO of his own startup. Tatum does a marvelous job developing Jesse's character. Not just a victim, but a very scarred and damaged young man. Will starts as a poster boy for white privilege and a trust fund baby character. Tatum slowly has him develop into a full
Sandra
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proud is the first book of the DC Pride series and just as good as the Bridge to Abingdon series.

Jesse left Abingdon behind and worked as stuntman in New York City. He moves to DC after toring his meniscus.

Will is a rich boy who outed himself as gay a few times, yet his family doesn't believe him. So he hires Jesse as his boyfriend and takes him to his sister's debutante ball.

Find out what happens then yourself!

I received an advanced copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review.
Wendy Livingstone
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a new series from this talented author, and is Will and Jesse’s story. These two are total opposites and from completely different backgrounds, yet their unconditional love can heal pasts. This is a well written story which is intense, raw, gritty, and with angst and love. I was totally hooked and I recommend for all. There may be triggers for some readers, so just be aware.
Julie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
new author for me, really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed Will and Jesse’s story. Gabe was totally creepy and cruel. I loved seeing Jesse slowly relax more and more with Will. They were so good for each other. Will’s parents were unbelievable and it pains me to still read about people like that . Look forward to book 2. Me thinks it’s Vince and a certain B!
Lene Norway
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
This is an amazing, steamy and heartfelt mm romance novel. It is the first standalone installment of the DC Pride series. And I can hardly wait for the next one.

Will and Jesse' s story is a opposites attracts story, filled with enjoyable characters and a well developed plot that feels real.

I am volunteering to leave a review of an ARC of this book.
Angel
Shelves: mm, arc, freebie
I was immediately invested and wanted Jesse to get a HEA. I loved these characters and thought they had great chemistry. I'm very curious about a Book 2.

*I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.*
Melissa Ledet
Fantastic Read

Jesse’s story is heartbreaking. Love how Jesse and Will have an instant connection and helps Jesse realize he matters in life. Love all the twist and turns even though some parts are sad.
Nicole
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This book is something that words cannot describe. I really enjoyed the plot and characters. West had me so enthralled that I could not set this book down. This is definitely a series to read!
Elizabeth Marshall
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh Jesse and Will! I loved them. I love the fake boyfriend troupe. Jesse’s life is a bit of a mess. Will just wants to fix it for him. This is a great start to a new series and we even see a little bit of a crossover from the other series.
Wioletta
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proud is story of Jesse and Will. Will run from New York to Washington, after getting eviction note, he starts looking for a job, to get a job he lies on his resume and he gets the job. While slowly things works out for him, his past come to say hi and make mess.
Great story, I did enjoy a lot.
Christine
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC review For honest review . This is cute story when Jesse gets away from his abusive ex gabe he is stay at his cousin apartment needing a job he lies to get the job at depth where his boss Will a trust fun kid takes a liking to him . Now if Will finds out his lie will he still like him?
Pat
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fantastic read with the great character and storyline development that hooked me from the very beginning! I felt that Jesse and Will were a great fit and they kept me totally engaged until the very end!

• Game On (Fever Falls #5)
  • Pink
  • #Royal (Fever Falls, #4)
  • My Sister's Boyfriend
  • A Rhythm You Feel (The Rock Gods: East Coast Label #1)
  • Forgotten: Luca (The Four, #1)
  • All for Wesley (Pineapple Grove #2)
  • Glittered (Guardian Angels Security #3)
  • Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers, #2)
  • The Fire (Love in O'Leary #4)
  • King Me (Forever Wilde, #7)
  • Heteroflexible (Spruce Texas #3)
  • Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Boyfriend 101 (Fever Falls #6)
  • Stick and Poke (Irons and Works, #5)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
Tatum West is a writer and lover of MM romance. She grew up queer in a straight world. She’s now a mom of two, a dog-mom of one, and she’s working hard to raise kids who know that love is love and see the magic and depth of all human interactions. She crochets, crafts, and creates. She’s so glad she gets to write for a living and make characters who speak to her soul.
Tatum hails from Virginia and