Start by marking “Where's Wallace?” as Want to Read:
Where's Wallace?

Where's Wallace?

Everyone flocks to see that outrageous orangutan. But all he wants to see is the world beyond the zoo. So whenever his keeper, Mr. Frumbee, leaves his cage open the tiniest bit, Wallace takes off on an adventure -- to the department store, the museum, or even the beach.So it's up to Mr. Frumbee -- with a little help from you -- to find that errant ape within the nine actio ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Where's Wallace?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's Wallace?

Lisa
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Another favorite book from my childhood. This is such a cute book that is an original eye spy book. One page will tell about Wallace (an orangutan) and that he has disappeared again. The next page will be an illustration, and you have to find Wallace. You can also find all of Wallace's friends too (Boy with a Cello, the Naughty Girl and her mom, the Running Man, the Baby, the Cat and the Knitting Lady)
Erin
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books when I was a child....I would study the pictures every day looking for cute little Wallace...I remember the illustrations still. So happy that someone was able to tell me the name of this book.
Asho
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! Apparently it's a classic, although I didn't have it as a child. My son got it as a hand-me-down from one of his cousins, and we've really enjoyed looking at it together. He's 4, which is just the right age to introduce this book (any younger than this and I think he would have found Wallace impossible to find; that orangutan is pretty well hidden on most of the pages).
I love the illustrations. Besides finding Wallace, there are all sorts of funny and interesting things happ
Shayla
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is about an orangutan, Wallace, who lives in a zoo, but he wants to experience the world. He goes on many adventures, and his zoo keeper is always trying to find him.
I love this book because while the zoo keeper is looking for Wallace the reader is also looking for Wallace. There is text on the first page and little pictures all around the page, then on the next page there is just a huge picture with lots of details, and the reader looks for Wallace. There are also many other people an
Pocki
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This bring back so many memories. I wanted to read something quick before bed when sleeping at my parents' place and couldn't find the book I was looking for so grabbed this book. I think it used to belong to my grandma and that I read it at her place as a kid. It's a Swedish edition though ("Var är Ville?"), not that it matters much.

I used to love reading this as a kid, trying to find Wallace (or Ville) and his friends. I have a soft spot for the Knitting Lady for some reason. Looking for every
Lisa the Librarian
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really cute story about a orangutan named Wallace who lives in a zoo. His friend and keeper Mr. Frumbee is not too concerned when Wallace goes looking for adventures outside the zoo, after all Mr. Frumbee knows where to find Wallace since it was usually he who planted the idea of where to go.

My favorite thing about this book is the chaos in the panoramas of the places Wallace visits. For example children sliding on a mammoth tusk, surfing on a cello or an old lady calmly knitting while astride a
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads

This is the original and the best!!! I have been mystified for YEARS at the inexplicable popularity of that horrible, poorly drawn "Where's Waldo" imitation compared to this classic.

Hilary Knight's drawings are beautiful, fantastically detailed and just plain so much fun to look at that it's hard to stop looking at them - try finding all the other odd characters (the runner, the mom chasing her mischievous daughter, etc..) in every scene too - this should be in every child's library!

Hawley
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We've had this book home from the library for barely over 24 hours, and my kids had school... But my nearly 4 and 6 year olds have had us read it to them 6x already (no exaggeration). They LOVE IT.

It's like a more story based, easier to find a Where's Waldo. It's a monkey who keeps getting out of the zoo thanks to his semi-accomplice zookeeper ;) My daughters also like to give high fives once they find Wallace (even when they have his spot memorized!) and love noticing all the little silly detai
Christine Hou
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book uses a interesting and relaxed development to tell us the adventurous encounters between an orangutan, Wallace and his zoo keeper, Mr.Frumbee. For the first, from the beginning several stories, children can guess that each time when Wallace disappears, he must be taking his adventures somewhere else. At the same time, it attracts kids to know what exactly happens during that exacting juorney. For the second, I love the format and the way illustrations are presented. The ceative drawing ...more
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Long before Waldo there was Wallace, a small mischievous orangutan. Waldo is constantly escaping from the Bronx Zoo in search of excitement, keeping his trainer in hot pursuit. As a child I delighted in scanning each scenario, searching for Wallace's whereabouts. Knight's illustrations are colorful and fun and he has done a good job of "hiding" Wallace, he can be surprisingly difficult to locate.
Teree
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with eyes
Shelves: children, favourites
I looked at this book for hundreds of hours when I was little! It predates Where's Waldo, and is far greater in theme and substance. The little monkey is hard to find, but you get to search through fantastic drawings of the beach, a circus, an apartment building, a zoo, a baseball stadium, and more.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I love me some interactive books, and I like Hilary Knight, so I was excited about this book. It proved too long for my young kiddos, so I'm thinking it's better for the older ages. In addition, Wallace is a bit hard to spot, and the kids didn't really pick up on what the zookeeper was doing. Cute book, though, with many fun illustrations with which to busy yourself.
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. My dad and sister and I would read it together (seemed to me all the time, but I wonder how often really). I've just started reading it with my girl (the very same copy) and am enjoying it all over again. (she likes it too).

[randomly set the "date read" to 1981.]
Bridget
Another great recommendation from Lisa. Thank you so much! Another retro classic.

This seems to be the original eye spy or Where's Waldo book. So much fun to find Wallace, the orangutan with my 4 year old.
Meredith
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Like Where's Waldo, but with an actual plot! I love Hilary Knight from his illustrations for Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and it turns out that he's a good writer, too. This book is delightful. I was really bad at finding Wallace, but I enjoyed finding all the other hidden gems while I was looking for him.
Lyn
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites. It preceded the Waldo books. I took it babysitting when I was young and the children and I would find the hidden characters on the picture pages. I now do it with my grandchildren.
Adam
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I need to read this again. It's so good.
Susan
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where is Waldo and Where's Wallace - the latter before the former and enhanced by the always enchanting illustrations by Hilary Knight. A recommended book and they were right, it is good fun.
Diana Pettis
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to the boys tonight. It reminds me of Curious George and Where's Waldo.
Duckyday
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Waldo doesn't come close to Wallace! My love and respect for animals probably blossomed from this book.
Amy
We had fun looking at the illustrations in this!
Gina
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
My nephew pulls this one out everytime we read books. Hilary Knight is a phenomenal illustrator.
Amy Moskovitz
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Childhood favorite
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Hilary Knight is a god. I hope he sued the Where's Waldo? guy's jive ass.
Gina
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book from childhood. I love the illustrations, with a mix of regular illustrations and large tableaux as a clever orangutan takes exploratory trips outside of the zoo.
Sandy
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
this marvelous 'search for the orangutan' book far outstrips its copy-cat (Where's Waldo) of recent times. Knight's illustrations are fun and entertaining. This is a really fun book!
Lara
Mar 19, 2018
Justme
Jul 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hilary Knight writes, "I attribute any abilities I possess to the fact that both my parents are artists and writers. My father, Clayton Knight, is well-known for his aviation paintings and books. My mother, Katharine Sturges, has done fashion drawings, fabric designs as well as many children's books" (The Horn Book, 1968).

Born in Hempstead, Long Island, New York, in 1926. Childhood spent on Long I