Start by marking “The Mural at the Waverly Inn: A Portrait of Greenwich Village Bohemians” as Want to Read:
The Mural at the Waverly Inn: A Portrait of Greenwich Village Bohemians

The Mural at the Waverly Inn: A Portrait of Greenwich Village Bohemians

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The Waverly Inn has been a landmark in New York’s Greenwich Village since the 1920’s. But since 2006, when Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter bought and refurbished the restaurant, it has also been one of the most sought after destinations in the city. And while we can’t guarantee you a reservation there, we can bring you the wonderful, witty mural by Edward Sorel that grac ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Pantheon

Andrew Schirmer
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though I've only been to the Waverly Inn once (and it's doubtful I'll return), I'm willing to forgive Graydon Carter his little vanity project in part because of this charming little book.

Of course, it's a ghastly fallacy to pretend that the Village is still a bohemian oasis, and the idea that the establishment of a purveyor of $55 truffled macaroni-and-cheese would somehow be restoring an historic watering-hole tops even that delusion.

However...

Carter hired Edward Sorel to design a mural to w
Barbara
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the kind of book you pick up when your mind is too full of trivia of various sorts to concentrate on much of anything. It's exactly what its title says: a large fold-out showing the mural at the Waverly Inn in Greenwich Village. Each person caricatured in the mural - Anais Nin, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Joan Baez, Jack Kerouac and many others - have some connection to the Village. Humorous, and occasionally trivial, vignettes of each person highlight their foibles and pretenses and make i ...more
Lesley Looper
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, art
I just happened upon this book at the library, and found it to be an interesting read! The book is a collection of short bios of famous people with Greenwich Village connections who appear in a mural at the Waverly Inn. I'd heard of most of the people mentioned, but not all of them, so I learned a number of things. I was pleasently surprised that there's a fold-up replica of the mural in the back of this book. Neat read!
Maryann Kandlik
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun quirky little book about iconic cultural figures. Who knew that when S.J. Perelman called Hollywood " a dreary industrial town controlled by hoodlums of enormous wealth, (and with) the ethical sense of a pack of jackals " he was actually foreshadowing today's Washington, D.C.
Steven Spector
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great cartoonist + caricaturist. Edward Sorel. With an edge. Long live The Village Voice when it was fat, had substance, cost money, and Sorel was in the first few pages. Nice little book.
Tracey Bank